Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-13-2013, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Damn it, every safety seems to be a better fit at SS than FS. I hate that.
Absolutely, Ed Reed and Charles Woodson are maybe the best cover safeties available and they are one step away from a retirement home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:01 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Anyone know what's going on with Kenny Phillips? And the Cardinals released FS Kerry Rhodes today. Any interest in him by any of you?
Eerily silent for Phillips.

Quote:
Old 03-14-2013, 12:01 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
LMAO, we have a fundamental difference of opinion when it comes to "cheap" or "team friendly".

- Tarell Brown $3,907,312
- Johnathan Goodwin $5,016,668
- Ahmad Brooks $5,050,000
- Andy Lee $4,050,000

-Per Ninercaphell.com
For a solid starting CB, under $4m for one more year, most likely his last is cheap to me. Goodwin is the only expensive one and again, one year left and he's most likely gone. None of these guys are getting released because if they were, they would have been released before the start of the new league year. Brooks is damn good considering that Ellerbe and Wheeler is getting the same or more but I like Brooks better, I think he's worth $5m. Lee is expensive for a punter but he's arguable the NFL's best punter so thats actually cheap especially after what KC gave their punter a few weeks ago.

From your list, its like you want to release everyone. Granted, I would have released a few players but nowhere near that list and majority of those players from my viewpoint are untouchable.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

As far as corners go: Smith, Nnamdi, Talib, Grimes, Cox, Hall, Lewis, and Winfield all available.

Quote:
Old 03-14-2013, 12:07 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
For a solid starting CB, under $4m for one more year, most likely his last is cheap to me. Goodwin is the only expensive one and again, one year left and he's most likely gone. None of these guys are getting released because if they were, they would have been released before the start of the new league year. Brooks is damn good considering that Ellerbe and Wheeler is getting the same or more but I like Brooks better, I think he's worth $5m. Lee is expensive for a punter but he's arguable the NFL's best punter so thats actually cheap especially after what KC gave their punter a few weeks ago.

From your list, its like you want to release everyone. Granted, I would have released a few players but nowhere near that list and majority of those players from my viewpoint are untouchable.
Not at all. I was simply listing how likely they were to get released imo. Only a couple were listed at over 50%. I didn't factor in my wishes.

As far as wishes: Depends on how free agency and the draft goes but Manningham and Haralson are at the top of the list with either Brown or Rodgers next.

Quote:
Old 03-14-2013, 12:09 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
As far as corners go: Smith, Nnamdi, Talib, Grimes, Cox, Hall, Lewis, and Winfield all available.
Cox was just signed by SD, 4 years, 20 mill, 10.25 guaranteed

Quote:

Last edited by Shupp : 03-14-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:15 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I swear we've been linked to every DB in FA. And we've still yet to sign 1 lol.

I guess it'll be a cheap stopgap or prove it signing like a Woodson, Reed, or Aso. If anything at all.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:24 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Damn it, every safety seems to be a better fit at SS than FS. I hate that.
But you dont want just coverage. You want a guy who can give you a pulse in the run game also. That's what made Goldson such a unique guy, as he had a thumper's mentality in the box....he attacked and hit downhill like a LB, but was rangy enough to roam, track the ball and go get it....i'm gonna miss that guy. Being that he's younger, Delmas is probably physically, able to do both a little better than Reed or Woodson at this point in their careers. But Woodson was looking good at SS for Packers last year before the collarbone injury. He's always been a very good tackler very physical around the box, for his position during his CB days.

Don't know what's going on with Phillips. His medical must be really scaring teams. Knee issues are like the black plaque for GMs.

Also, with Landry signing in Indy, I'd keep an eye on what they do with Bethea. They just signed Zibkowski last year. Bethea and his cap number could be the odd man out.

I like Huff strictly for his versatility as a coverage guy. Kind of like the Delaine Walker of DBs. Not going to give you much in the box but he can play FS, then drop down and cover the slot or a TE, like a CB. Goldson couldn't do that. It would be a dimension we haven't had at the safety position since Merton Hanks. But he isn't the centerfielder Goldson is though. Kinda late on his reads alot. Could use some coaching there.

Bummed about Cox signing with SD. I little more than I felt he was worth but that's the kind of CB Baalke should be making a play for. Very underrated guy with good size and is still young, with room to grow and add to his game.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-14-2013 at 02:16 AM.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:40 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Late night signings are entertaining, I want closure on Sean Smith....lol

We should have a good idea about Delmas tomorrow night also.

Quote:

Last edited by Shupp : 03-14-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:18 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Delmas, Phillips, and Huff are decent fits at FS, Sean Smith could also convert as previously discussed.

Quote:
Old 03-14-2013, 02:31 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought that Sean Smith is more of a physical press corner. How does that translate to FS?
Old 03-14-2013, 02:37 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
I thought that Sean Smith is more of a physical press corner. How does that translate to FS?
It doesn't. His size does. True scouting could determine the likelihood of a successful position switch.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:57 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

RJF and to an extent Larry Grant are our only notable FA's still left on the market. Ginn and Moss too but i believe its been said as much that we wouldn't bring either back.

Any chance we get RJF or Grant back, if the price is right? It doesn't really bother me either way, but FA will soon become a buyers market and we may have a better shot of re-signing them.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:15 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What are your guys' thoughts on Texas safety Kenny Vaccaro?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:50 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I saw a tweet earlier, not sure, maybe Eric Branch, that said the Niners have been doing their homework on Eric Reid. He was quoting a source.

But also, these last 2 drafts, we drafted guys that no one at all expected...
Old 03-14-2013, 07:45 AM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
What are your guys' thoughts on Texas safety Kenny Vaccaro?
I'm a fan, but he'll be gone before our pick in the 1st round. One of my favorite players in the draft. Versatile - can play the run and cover. Wish he were a little bigger. Think he's like 6 ft 215 lbs? I think he'll be a top tier safety in the league, eventually.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:43 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know the Niners expected to lose Goldson and they are doing their due diligence for FS, CB and pass rushers. We'll see how it shakes out but I know they have a plan, even if it hasn't been revealed to us yet. I believe there is someone they are targeting in the 1st Round of the draft to fill a need in the secondary.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:16 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

According to Maiocco: "49ers are not involved in competition to sign Dolphins cornerback Sean Smith, source says."
Old 03-14-2013, 11:41 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Though Smith is a good player, I think his price tag will end up being too much for what the Niners are trying to do.

The more I think about it, the more I like them bringing in Aso on the very cheap (he's been paid) to be a role player for a season or two as he loves the Bay and wants to play for a winner. If it's important to him to win now that his career is beginning to dwindle down, then he'll come in on a team-friendly deal. The Niners can then continue to build through the Draft, keep competition high and mold players to step up in the next year or two.

EDIT: And like clockwork, I see: Asomugha to visit with 49ers
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-...ha-visit-49ers

The Niners are looking for veteran players with upside on team-friendly deals that can provide experience and leadership while they continue to build through the Draft. That's their plan which I guess we should have all realized by now.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Last edited by Madirishman : 03-14-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:49 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not at all. I was simply listing how likely they were to get released imo. Only a couple were listed at over 50%. I didn't factor in my wishes.

As far as wishes: Depends on how free agency and the draft goes but Manningham and Haralson are at the top of the list with either Brown or Rodgers next.
I can see Manningham being released with an injury settlement. Haralson has one year left, is cheap and not having him hurt us badly last year. Dont see him going anywhere. Brown is also cheap (at least to me) and has one year left on his contract. I see him and others all being allowed to leave after the 2013 season including Rogers who I think we'll release in a year from now. Should have never re-signed him but whatever. Too late now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
But you dont want just coverage. You want a guy who can give you a pulse in the run game also. That's what made Goldson such a unique guy, as he had a thumper's mentality in the box....he attacked and hit downhill like a LB, but was rangy enough to roam, track the ball and go get it....i'm gonna miss that guy. Being that he's younger, Delmas is probably physically, able to do both a little better than Reed or Woodson at this point in their careers. But Woodson was looking good at SS for Packers last year before the collarbone injury. He's always been a very good tackler very physical around the box, for his position during his CB days.

Don't know what's going on with Phillips. His medical must be really scaring teams. Knee issues are like the black plaque for GMs.

Also, with Landry signing in Indy, I'd keep an eye on what they do with Bethea. They just signed Zibkowski last year. Bethea and his cap number could be the odd man out.

I like Huff strictly for his versatility as a coverage guy. Kind of like the Delaine Walker of DBs. Not going to give you much in the box but he can play FS, then drop down and cover the slot or a TE, like a CB. Goldson couldn't do that. It would be a dimension we haven't had at the safety position since Merton Hanks. But he isn't the centerfielder Goldson is though. Kinda late on his reads alot. Could use some coaching there.

Bummed about Cox signing with SD. I little more than I felt he was worth but that's the kind of CB Baalke should be making a play for. Very underrated guy with good size and is still young, with room to grow and add to his game.
Agreed but I prefer more of a ball hawking cover FS which I why im still hoping for Reed as a one year stopgap but he may not even make it out of Houston so he seems unlikely plus with what I was reading about him and Pollard, I dont think that Harbaugh would even want him.

Sadly, out of all those safeties, the best one for us is the one we let leave which makes no sense. I'm sorry but Baalke screwed up here. At the very least, he should have franchised Goldson for 2013 while drafting a FS and SS to replace Goldson and Whitner respectively in 2014.

To me, Baalke screwed up as I dont think any rookie will do as good as Goldson and the FA market looks okay at best and arguably the best player available has knee issues (Phillips). UGH.

Unless we sign Asomugha and move him to FS or Rogers/Brown, I dont know what the hell they're going to do. As for Bethea, wouldnt mind him at all but I dont see the Colts releasing him. Would be shocked if they did.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:55 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

According to rotoworld.com, Bethea is scheduled to make $4.55m for 2013 plus a $200k workout bonus and is in the last year of his contract. He'll be 29 in July. Maybe, we can trade a mid round draft pick for him? Thoughts?

Also, thus far, we've traded Alex Smith to KC, acquired WR Anquan Boldin via trade and signed DL Glenn Dorsey. I dont know about anyone else but trading Smith has been our best move thus far which I find very very funny. LOL.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post
I'm a fan, but he'll be gone before our pick in the 1st round. One of my favorite players in the draft. Versatile - can play the run and cover. Wish he were a little bigger. Think he's like 6 ft 215 lbs? I think he'll be a top tier safety in the league, eventually.
Maybe we can trade up if they really like him.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:39 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

Quote:
According to Maiocco: "49ers are not involved in competition to sign Dolphins cornerback Sean Smith, source says."
Barrows saying the same thing now. That goes with what Marathe said about lowering our level of spending on defense. The rumors didn't make sense but even both Matt's were reporting it at the time.

And Woodson left the facility without a contract. So that's 2 free agent DB's we can probably cross off our list.

Nnamdi Asomugha, Louis Delmas, and Dan Skuta (ILB, Special Teamer) are visiting today too. Wouldn't mind any of them provided the price is right.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 03-14-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sean Smith signed with KC. This is a good thing. I don't like that guy and definitely not for expensive FA dollars.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Norcal3518
Rookie

Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I saw a tweet earlier, not sure, maybe Eric Branch, that said the Niners have been doing their homework on Eric Reid. He was quoting a source.

But also, these last 2 drafts, we drafted guys that no one at all expected...
I actually really like Eric Reid. He kinda reminds me of Goldson. He has enough speed to play center field in coverage but he also has the ability to come up and help against the run. He is one of those guys who has been overshadowed at LSU. I always thought that was a solid player. I wouldnt mind if the niners selected him or Matt Elam. They both have that Goldson style of play in them. I like Reid more due to his size. I Think those two and Cyprien will all come off the board in the end of the first middle of 2nd range.

As for FA I think Aso would be a good sign for the right price. No matter where he ends up he wont get the contract that philly gave him. He just didnt play up to that amount of money while there.
Norcal3518 is offline   Reply With Quote