Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks

Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks Discuss the Seahawks

Old 02-27-2013, 11:36 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2013 Draft

Potential Shockers at No. 25:

Tyrann Matheiu
Brandon Williams
Manti Te'o
Alec Ogletree
Jamie Collins
Arthur Brown
Margus Hunt

Potential Picks
Any of the WRs in that range
Any of the DTs or DEs in that range
RT
TE

I like Sylvester Williams and Quinton Patton.

I would love to trade up for Patterson or Austin.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:00 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think they'd target a handful of guys like Patterson, Ansah and Werner but most likely they'll be gone.

Datone Jones out of UCLA has been mentioned and not sure how free agency plays in to it all. In no particular order these guys wouldn't shock me as Seahawk picks.

Datone Jones
Alec Ogeltree
Tyler Eifert
Zach Ertz
Justin Hunter
Keenan Allen
Margus Hunt
Ryan Swope

Those last two likely early second if they were to trade down.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Attyla the Hawk
Rookie

Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Potential Shockers at No. 25:

Tyrann Matheiu
Brandon Williams
Manti Te'o
Alec Ogletree
Jamie Collins
Arthur Brown
Margus Hunt
I'd scratch out Te'o, Collins and Hunt from that list.

Te'o is just flat too slow. Seattle likes speed at the LB core. In addition, they aren't moving Wagner from the mike to accomodate Te'o. Bad fit and undesired physical tools.

Seattle is very good at estimating where players will go. Seattle tends to see the draft in terms of who in a group would upgrade our current starting cast. Collins probably fits neatly amongst the second tier of LB prospects (Gooden, Sio Moore and possibly Khaseem Greene). Undoubtedly 3 if not all four of those guys could be had at #56. It's also possible that one or 2 of those guys will be around at #87. For us to take Collins, we'd have to think he's a guy 'we can't leave the draft without'. I don't see that.

I tend to think, that if we're going early with a LB, it'll be Ogletree, Greene, Jarvis Jones (should he fall) or Brown. It's hard to see any separation between these guys. And our FO is pretty transparent in how they publicize their needs. I don't see our first pick being anything other than an interior rusher.

I don't see us valuing Tyrann Mathieu at all. I don't see the fit. He doesn't have length or size. He doesn't have quick hips to be a slot corner and doesn't possess good man to man coverage skills to begin with. He thrives when he can play with everything in front of him. But we don't play zone except rarely. He's not fast enough to play our 1 deep scheme at safety.

Hunt is going to fall. But even if he doesn't, Seattle has shown that they value certain attributes:

1. Production in games. Their early picks all produced in a game setting.

2. Show well at the Senior Bowl. They have used that week in Mobile to really crystallize their board. It's a huge tool for them. It's also important to recall that at the Combine press conference before it started, Schneider said that their board was already complete. Seattle really doesn't add players to their board based on the combine at all. If anything, I'm betting is simply a pruning tool for them.

3. Scheme fit. On day three, they typically look at physical attribute players here that uniquely fit what we do. Even here, Seattle doesn't take combine warriors as a rule. Almost all of our selections in the 6th to 7th range were guys that weren't even invited to the combine at all.

In this case, Hunt really doesn't pass this criteria. His production in the season was spotty. His showing at the Senior Bowl was a disaster. For him to be a hawk, he'll have to drop to #120 (4th round).

I can see the case for Williams as being the pick. He's a big guy, but he demonstrated that he was able to create consistent pocket collapse at the senior bowl and had a good showing. He's also a guy that very possibly, if not probably won't be there at #56. Seattle will draft a guy a round early if they truly like him.

Brown and Ogletree are good options too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post

Datone Jones
Alec Ogeltree
Tyler Eifert
Zach Ertz
Justin Hunter
Keenan Allen
Margus Hunt
Ryan Swope

Those last two likely early second if they were to trade down.
I would be shocked if we took a TE in the first. It's a deeper pool and unless we suddenly are looking at holding our cards close to the vest -- then I'm not seeing this as a pick.

None of these guys are Austin Sefarian-Jenkins. That's a TE I could see us taking. This class is just not so indistinguishable from the 3rd round TEs.

I can see Hunter and Allen. Although again, we have a pretty good pattern established for what we consider first round worthy. And I don't see these two guys as having achieved that. I would say if we have a guy graded for the first round, it's probably DeAndre Hopkins. Fantastic production and ball skills.

Swope is an interesting pick. I do think the medical history of concussions will scare teams off. He is a guy that I think ticks a lot of the check marks that Seattle loves. I don't see them going after him in the first if they don't plan on using him on the outside along with the slot. But I do think he's in the conversation at #56 or #87.

I do think we take a WR (not TE) with one of our day 1 or 2 picks. And probably one in day 3 as well. It's a thin group and I don't see us keeping Obomanu around at his age/salary.

Jones is probably the conventional choice. One could throw in Short (productive and good Sr. Bowl), Williams and maybe Sylvester Williams. Those 3 -- actually all 4 -- were productive and showed the ability to compete at the Sr. Bowl.

I really get the sense that it'll go:

1. DT
2/3. WR/LB -- order dependent on who is available and what teams would be needing between 56 and 87.

Last edited by Attyla the Hawk : 03-07-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Attyla the Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:30 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With the trade of Harvin and the acquisition of Avril, two needs have been filled. I still they could use an infusion of youth at the back-end of the WR depth chart (maybe a guy with size), but for the short-term they are set for the top 4.

Needs now:

3-technique
WLB
Nickel CB

and TE.

A TE will be drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round. They'll cut Miller after next year and will need a plan for that position.

I could also see them taking an offensive lineman in the 2nd or 3rd if they really like a guy who falls. They might need insurance for Carpenter, Sweezy and Moffit might be nothings, and McQ is gone after this year. And obviously RT can be upgraded. That said, I could also see them skipping OL and rolling with what the have.

A couple of other darkhorse picks are QB and FB. Or if there's a SS prospect they love.

And obviously Kicker. And the WR/CB they draft might have return skills because I doubt they want Harvin doing both KR and PR.

So here's my prediction:

Rd. 2: DT Akeem Spence
Rd. 3: TE Travis Kelce
Rd. 4: OLB Zaviar Gooden
Rd. 5: OT Ricky Wagner
Rd. 6: WR Rodney Smith
Rd. 7: CB Rod Sweeting
Rd. 7: QB Colby Cameron
Old 03-14-2013, 07:10 PM    (permalink
Cicero
Veteran

Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mother of god, we just got Michael Bennett too. This offseason couldn't have gone any better.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:46 PM    (permalink
asdf1223
Veteran

asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Mother of god, we just got Michael Bennett too. This offseason couldn't have gone any better.
He's ALIVE!!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 PM    (permalink
Cicero
Veteran

Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf1223 View Post
He's ALIVE!!
Haha yeah it's been a long time.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:56 PM    (permalink
Attyla the Hawk
Rookie

Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Attyla the Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Outside of WLB, I don't really see much in the way of need.

Unfortunately, I don't see a prospect in the draft that has that kind of electric speed that Carroll covets from the Will other than Zaviar Gooden.

I'm not sure we don't just go with the backups we already have.

I'd have to think they go with a specific talent in mind with 56. I just don't think they're going to be married to need at that spot. Neither the TE or WLB prospects in this draft demand we take one at 56.

It's possible we're looking at taking someone to be a future reload of a 2010/2011 class cap casualty. So we'd be talking about the replacement for:

Tate
Chancellor
Wright
Carpenter
Baldwin

Considering that next year could see us lose Tate and Rice, it may see us taking WR at the top. Schneider did say he liked this years' WR group. My money would be on replacing Tate, since his role is likely to be lessened by Harvin's arrival. Despite Rice's huge contract, it's unlikely his third contract comes close to it's current value. Resigning him may not be out of the question or otherwise prohibitive.

With little in the way of need, Schneider can simply go where the talent leads us.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:32 PM    (permalink
asdf1223
Veteran

asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attyla the Hawk View Post
Outside of WLB, I don't really see much in the way of need.

Unfortunately, I don't see a prospect in the draft that has that kind of electric speed that Carroll covets from the Will other than Zaviar Gooden.

I'm not sure we don't just go with the backups we already have.

I'd have to think they go with a specific talent in mind with 56. I just don't think they're going to be married to need at that spot. Neither the TE or WLB prospects in this draft demand we take one at 56.

It's possible we're looking at taking someone to be a future reload of a 2010/2011 class cap casualty. So we'd be talking about the replacement for:

Tate
Chancellor
Wright
Carpenter
Baldwin

Considering that next year could see us lose Tate and Rice, it may see us taking WR at the top. Schneider did say he liked this years' WR group. My money would be on replacing Tate, since his role is likely to be lessened by Harvin's arrival. Despite Rice's huge contract, it's unlikely his third contract comes close to it's current value. Resigning him may not be out of the question or otherwise prohibitive.

With little in the way of need, Schneider can simply go where the talent leads us.
Still need a big body DT also. I think one of Jenkins/Hankins/Greene will still be there at 56. Wouldn't mind a slot Corner also.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:25 PM    (permalink
Cicero
Veteran

I wouldn't mind getting a RT in rounds 2 or 3 either. Giacomini should really be a reserve.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:37 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I fully expect them to be trading picks to move around in the draft. So rather than trying to pick players at slots, I'll just say I'd be stoked if we came away with Kawann Short, Denard Robinson, a receiving option at tight end, someone of the Tyrann Matteiu variety, and a QB to develop with Russell Wilson. I think Ryan Aplin could be a terrific pick for this role late in the draft. I'd also be stoked if, instead of (or and, but more realistically instead of) Kawann Short, we get a player to replace Giacomini. Menelik Watson? We do have a couple developing prospects already, though.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 04-02-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
I wouldn't mind getting a RT in rounds 2 or 3 either. Giacomini should really be a reserve.
Not sure who would be there but at least for depth reasons i'd be looking to bring a tackle in. Personally a Kyle Long would fit a few holes there on the line.

Saw where the Seahawks signed Josh Portis and have interest in Matt Scott. Interesting.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:02 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

So. Thoughts?

I cannot wait for the season. During the draft I completely forgot they added Avril. The roster is just so damn stacked.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Attyla the Hawk
Rookie

Thoughts are, we selected a lot of successors to existing starters.

Jesse Williams I'm obviously thrilled to acquire. I thought he was a late first, early second round grade prospect who had unique talents to fill a need in the medium term (2 gap DE). Getting a guy I'd have been happy with at #25 in the fifth round obviously was great.

I had Jordan Hill and Chris Harper strongly linked to Seattle as well. Not surprised we landed one of them. Harper is going to pay dividends for us straight away. He's almost as big as Kam Chancellor and he can be tasked with man blocking even the likes of Patrick Peterson in the run game.

Christine Michael came on the radar late. I believe even on this site I noted in a Hawks draft prospect thread that Michael was the one back that most seemed 'Seahawk'. As much or more than Turbin last year, Michael runs with violence. He seeks to punish tacklers, not run to daylight. He's a finisher.

We didn't get an offensive lineman. On some Hawk draft sites, this was seen as evidence that we were happy with our OL group. But just a couple days after the draft, Tom Cable admitted that Seattle had several OTs rated highly and were willing to go that way early. But the way the draft unfolded, there was a severe run on OTs -- where guys we liked were going a full round ahead of grade. So we went with plan B.

In all, this draft to me was about upping the bar on toughness. Plan A was to improve the OL, but failing that, we added unique, if currently redundant talents. Toughness is the currency of this division now. We added to that more than any other team in this division. Michael, Hill, Harper, Williams, Simon. All five of our first picks feature guys who show unique aspects of toughness.

I love how the team doesn't pay mere lip service to being physical. All teams say they want to be physical. But then they throw it 55%+ of the time and invest in light in the pants high profile stat whores. Seattle wants to run it 55% of the time. So we invest in 3 running backs, when half the teams in the league barely carry one good one. We add guys who are big, strong and nasty. Not guys who tickle the fanhood pleasure spots at the combine.

In all, this was a draft that is going to reload future departures. We didn't have holes to fill this year, so we exquisitely filled tomorrow's holes today. Williams is going to succeed Red when it's time to redo Sherman's deal. That's 8M+ in cap space with that one pick. Williams is like getting Sherman for the prime of his career plus a starting base DE in the 5th round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf1223 View Post
Still need a big body DT also. I think one of Jenkins/Hankins/Greene will still be there at 56. Wouldn't mind a slot Corner also.
We did that too. Depending on how this year works out, we could be drafting for a cornerbacker this year to succeed Winfield.

Last edited by Attyla the Hawk : 07-23-2013 at 01:21 PM.