Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 03-15-2013, 11:43 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

So if Jerry Reese decided not to extend any kind of significant offer to Kenny Phillips, then the guy's knees must be completely toast, right?

There's no way Reese lets KP go without being 100% certain he can't play anymore. Is this Steve Smith 2.0?
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:54 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
So if Jerry Reese decided not to extend any kind of significant offer to Kenny Phillips, then the guy's knees must be completely toast, right?

There's no way Reese lets KP go without being 100% certain he can't play anymore. Is this Steve Smith 2.0?
I think that's most likely it but Phillips might have 1 or 2 more good years in him before he kaput.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:46 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ok Kenny, ease up on talking about the Giants. I love ya, don't make me hate you.

It's obvious he didn't want to be back either. He didn't like playing for Coughlin or Fewell.

We probably lost him bc of his knee, but man we lost a hell of a player. When he's healthy, there aren't many FS I rather have over him.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:11 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do like bringing Ross back, I think that was a nice move. I don't like bringing Rivers back. He can't stay healthy, and if he's the reason we pass on a linebacker I'm gonna be pissed.

Honestly I would have preferred seeing us just gut the roster and start fresh. It seems like we're hanging onto a couple of guys hoping we can make another title run this year but I think we're better off just gutting the staff and starting fresh with a new cast.

I want to see what Tracy and Ojomo can do, I want to see what Mosely can do, I want to us upgrade the secondary, I want to see some new linebackers. We'll see some new pieces, Robinson is gonna get his chances, we'll see a change at RB I'm excited about, I think Randle will get more opportunities, we will probably see a change at RT. We'll see someone step up at SS, hopefully Will Hill, we'll see JWill get a chance at WILL, but I want to see more change.

I want to see us move on from Tuck. I want to see a change at G, I want to see us draft a DE, LB, and CB.

I feel like we have dead weight in the secondary. Web, Ross, and Thomas are honestly dead weight. Web has one more year left in him, Ross is solid but I don't want him taking snaps away from the young guys, Thomas probably won't make it out of camp.

Rolle is gonna get cut after this season. I just want to give young guys a chance so we can figure out what our depth really looks like.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:21 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We don't have young guys in the secondary. Ross will not be playing over Prince or Hosley.

Also with Eli you never just give up on any year. Even if this is a half ass "rebuild" we still have more talent than at least 3/4 of the NFL which means we have a shot. The young guys will get a shot this year if they prove they are ready.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-16-2013, 11:25 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I don't think giving the young guys a chance is giving up on the year. I think they can produce at the same level or potentially better than the old guys, that's why I want to give them a shot. The old guys I want to move on from are pretty much toast, that's why I want to move on from them.

Tuck has nothing left. Snee is on empty, Diehl is done, Corey is on E, Ross is reliable but that's his ceiling, Thomas is done, Rivers is done, none of these guys really have anything left.

That's why I want to see the young guys, instead of letting the old guys run their course for another year. If anything that holds us back.

As for the secondary, that's why I think CB is a round 1 need if Rhodes is there. I want to see what Hosely can do at nickel, and if we draft a CB, that guy, Hosely, and Prince can potentially be our trio for the foreseeable future.

Then I want to see what Hill can do, maybe he shores up SS. Then I think we probably draft a FS sometime this year or next year to replace Rolle who is probably getting cut after this year.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:25 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Ok Kenny, ease up on talking about the Giants. I love ya, don't make me hate you.

It's obvious he didn't want to be back either. He didn't like playing for Coughlin or Fewell.

We probably lost him bc of his knee, but man we lost a hell of a player. When he's healthy, there aren't many FS I rather have over him.
I don't think it had to do with TC. He didn't like the defensive system and didn't like how the doctors went about treating his knee. That was reported a few times.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:30 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
I don't think it had to do with TC. He didn't like the defensive system and didn't like how the doctors went about treating his knee. That was reported a few times.
Him and Rolle were complaining on the radio about how Coughlin is so set in his ways and how they'd love playing for Rex Ryan a few years back. This was before Rolle changed and learned to love Coughlin.

I think he wanted to do more in our defense and we didn't let him. He wanted to blitz more, play in the box more, be more of a "playmaker" but we pretty much kept him in the post all the time bc it helped protect his knee plus he was so damn good at it.

He doesn't really they were watching out for him. He's not good in the box. That's not his strong suit. Never was.

To be fair though, I am not a big fan of our Safety coach. So I can see why Kenny was a bit frustrated. And I obviously hate our defensive system as well.

But he doesn't realize the Giants did what's best for him. He'll learn like how Steve Smith learned after the fact.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:34 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

@ProFootballTalk: WR Louis Murphy agrees to terms on a one-year deal with the Giants, per league source
Old 03-16-2013, 11:36 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

See. That's another move I don't like. What's with the patchwork moves?

What's he gonna do for us? If he takes snaps away from Randle I'm gonna be pissed. If he takes snaps away from Wilson and Randle as kick/punt returners I won't like that either.

Is he a good special teams player? If not, then why do this?
Old 03-16-2013, 11:37 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Murphy is a 4th WR for us. Replaces Hixon. Good move.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-16-2013, 11:37 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Him and Rolle were complaining on the radio about how Coughlin is so set in his ways and how they'd love playing for Rex Ryan a few years back. This was before Rolle changed and learned to love Coughlin.

I think he wanted to do more in our defense and we didn't let him. He wanted to blitz more, play in the box more, be more of a "playmaker" but we pretty much kept him in the post all the time bc it helped protect his knee plus he was so damn good at it.

He doesn't really they were watching out for him. He's not good in the box. That's not his strong suit. Never was.

To be fair though, I am not a big fan of our Safety coach. So I can see why Kenny was a bit frustrated. And I obviously hate our defensive system as well.

But he doesn't realize the Giants did what's best for him. He'll learn like how Steve Smith learned after the fact.

Yeah I remember Rolle said that. Then he met and talked with Coughlin, and after the skins game, before the Jets game he met with Fewell and asked him to adjust the system. That's when we went on our roll.

I said that scheme and health is one of the reasons he never hit his full potential and probably the reason he didn't like it here. Probably so much he would sign a 1 year deal with a rival then try to stay with us for less. He was good in the box at UM. In fact he would be everywhere because he didnt play with talent there. So he played in the box and was everywhere. He went into beast mode during those years.

Now for us he played 29317923819823 miles of the LOS. Spags blitzed safeties effectively, but KP had the amazing honor of having 2 HOF DCs. Sheridan and Perry Fricking Fewell!
Old 03-16-2013, 11:39 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

I am tired of the 1 year show me deals.

To me it comes down to this... Don't be too good and don't be too bad. If you are too good, we won't sign you because you would cost too much. However, don't be too bad because WE will cut you! So... be average.

MB had a show me deal, and was too good, and got his pay day. If he was too bad we wouldn't bother to re-sign him. It's almost like you have to be average.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Months ago the writing was on the wall with Phillips. I heard him speak about FA and I knew he was never coming back here. He didn't like our system at all because of the turd, Perry.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-16-2013, 11:40 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
I am tired of the 1 year show me deals.

To me it comes down to this... Don't be too good and don't be too bad. If you are too good, we won't sign you because you would cost too much. However, don't be too bad because WE will cut you! So... be average.

MB had a show me deal, and was too good, and got his pay day. If he was too bad we wouldn't bother to re-sign him. It's almost like you have to be average.
It's not like we're giving 1 year deals to core players. There are lots of MB's or Louis Murphy's. While we're up against the cap this is what we have to do until there is some turnover of $$$$$$.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-16-2013, 11:45 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Yeah I remember Rolle said that. Then he met and talked with Coughlin, and after the skins game, before the Jets game he met with Fewell and asked him to adjust the system. That's when we went on our roll.

I said that scheme and health is one of the reasons he never hit his full potential and probably the reason he didn't like it here. Probably so much he would sign a 1 year deal with a rival then try to stay with us for less. He was good in the box at UM. In fact he would be everywhere because he didnt play with talent there. So he played in the box and was everywhere. He went into beast mode during those years.

Now for us he played 29317923819823 miles of the LOS. Spags blitzed safeties effectively, but KP had the amazing honor of having 2 HOF DCs. Sheridan and Perry Fricking Fewell!
Kenny wasn't good in the box after his injury. And even when he was healthy as a rookie he was an awful blitzer. Trust me, I know safeties. His best skills were in the post. Anyone can play the box, to be able to play the post and take the deep ball away is a gift that needs to be taken advantage of on every play. I can't really fault them for using Kenny the way they did.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:48 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Murphy is a 4th WR for us. Replaces Hixon. Good move.
But I also think he replaces Wilson and Randle in kick/punt return duties. And that I'm not a fan of. I think Wilson should stay on kick returns, he's explosive in that role.

Why not keep him there? He's not gonna be a 30 carry a game back, so it's not like he can't do 4 kickoffs a game. He's a weapon there.

Randle was very reliable as a punt returner. Ok I won't necessarily lose any sleep over him losing those duties, but I rather see if he can grow into the role or maybe someone else on the roster can take that on.

Maybe Jernigan proves not to be completely useless and does it. Who knows. But the one year rental thing for a guy who is gonna take snaps away from players with more potential doesn't sit well with me.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:49 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
It's not like we're giving 1 year deals to core players. There are lots of MB's or Louis Murphy's. While we're up against the cap this is what we have to do until there is some turnover of $$$$$$.
Yeah, well no team would give core players 1 year deals. You do that to guys with potential talent. However, the only people we brought back are average guys. I point to Rivers for this. Not too good, not good bad, couldn't stay healthy. So we brought him back! LOL. If he had played amazing, I would bet anything he would be gone.

However, cap issues are going to continue to bust our balls. Someone on BBI posted we have the most expensive OL. LOL. That's not good considering they are not an elite OL anymore.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:50 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
But I also think he replaces Wilson and Randle in kick/punt return duties. And that I'm not a fan of. I think Wilson should stay on kick returns, he's explosive in that role.

Why not keep him there? He's not gonna be a 30 carry a game back, so it's not like he can't do 4 kickoffs a game. He's a weapon there.

Randle was very reliable as a punt returner. Ok I won't necessarily lose any sleep over him losing those duties, but I rather see if he can grow into the role or maybe someone else on the roster can take that on.

Maybe Jernigan proves not to be completely useless and does it. Who knows. But the one year rental thing for a guy who is gonna take snaps away from players with more potential doesn't sit well with me.
There's no way they can take Wilson off of KO duty. The field position he gave us last year was incredible. I'm with you if Murphy does replace him in that capacity and it's a major mistake if Coughlin does that.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-16-2013, 11:51 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Our OL is expensive bc they're on their last years of their final contracts, and bc we do a poor job of drafting OLmen we wind up overpaying for FA OLmen.

Snee's contract is ridiculous. Honestly there's no reason why he shouldn't have gotten cut at that salary or at least restructured.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:53 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Yeah, well no team would give core players 1 year deals. You do that to guys with potential talent. However, the only people we brought back are average guys. I point to Rivers for this. Not too good, not good bad, couldn't stay healthy. So we brought him back! LOL. If he had played amazing, I would bet anything he would be gone.

However, cap issues are going to continue to bust our balls. Someone on BBI posted we have the most expensive OL. LOL. That's not good considering they are not an elite OL anymore.
It's all we can afford. It sucks but these guys are still players with potential to improve and they'll be highly motivated for that next deal still. I Kind of like it even if they don't sign back with us.

I saw that OL thing and that is scary. I'm a little pissed that the FO got us into that mess.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-16-2013, 12:00 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Our OL is expensive bc they're on their last years of their final contracts, and bc we do a poor job of drafting OLmen we wind up overpaying for FA OLmen.

Snee's contract is ridiculous. Honestly there's no reason why he shouldn't have gotten cut at that salary or at least restructured.
Well Baas was a bad contract, Snee needs to adjust his, and David D. should not be paid what he is currently being paid. That really is an over priced OL.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:04 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

We're married to Baas for at least one more year. Can't do anything about that. As much as I hate Baas, and I was not a fan of his from the day he signed his contract, I have to admit he wasn't terrible last year. He improved. He's still not living up to that contract but I never expected him to. At least he doesn't suck like he did in 2011.

Snee and Diehl are pretty much done. I think Diehl is getting cut this year, and I think they're hoping to squeeze one more year out of Snee. With Boothe most likely gone in FA, they can't afford to lose 3 starting OL in one offseason so they're mitigating that risk with keeping Snee for one more year.

We'll lose 2 guys this offseason (Boothe and Diehl), and 2 next year (Baas and Snee). Maybe just 1 next year.

We've been talking about it for awhile now, this team is due for a major overhaul and we'll see that play out over the next 2 offseasons. After these 2 years, our roster will be completely different from 2011. Maybe 3 or 4 starting guys from that roster will still be here in 2015.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:22 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Yeah we structured Baas meaning we pushed more money back, thus making him harder to cut and raising his cap number. That's the downside of restructuring. But we better address the OL this year and not with the cool 4th rounder. If we are not smart about this we could have that 2003 OL Carrie Collins had.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:41 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Btw guys Jennings signing with Minny is HUGE for us and our chances of keeping Cruz.

Hopefully we get a deal done. I was worried about Minny.