Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Latest through Yahoo .......

(Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole reports the lone remaining hangup in a potential deal sending Darrelle Revis to Tampa Bay is Bucs GM Mark Dominik's unwillingness to surrender the 13th pick in April's draft.

Per Cole, Bucs management is "fully on board" with dealing for Revis, but Dominik is only willing to part with a 2013 second-rounder or 2014 first-rounder. Realistically, the Jets ought to be willing to take the Bucs' 2014 first-round pick. There will be no surefire franchise quarterback available at No. 13 this year, and next year's draft has a chance to produce better signal callers. Louisville QB Terry Bridgewater is the likeliest 2014 draft-eligible prospect to give South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney a run to be next year's No. 1 overall pick. )

If the Jets take TB's #1 pick next year, that would be great. I still hope they would come out with something for this upcoming draft though.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:41 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I would much rather have the 2014 1st. For all we know, it could be even better than #13. But I'm not sure if that's what they're really offering, or if it can only escalate to a 1st. Also, the way that report makes it sound, it seems like we would only be getting one pick, which would seem to me to not be enough. Go for a 2nd this year and a 1st next year, Idzik! Think of the future!
Old 03-14-2013, 01:49 AM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If this trade gets done and the Bucs give up a first round pick (either this year or next), I'm not going to be happy with it. Two 2nd rounders is as high as I would go.

I don't know why you guys think you ought to get a 1st rounder for Revis. And, no, the "But the Vikings got..." isn't a valid argument. The Vikings had a lot of leverage in that trade because they had the ability to keep Harvin in Minnesota for 3 more years if they wanted to. The Jets will lose Revis next offseason if they don't trade him now.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:19 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
If this trade gets done and the Bucs give up a first round pick (either this year or next), I'm not going to be happy with it. Two 2nd rounders is as high as I would go.

I don't know why you guys think you ought to get a 1st rounder for Revis. And, no, the "But the Vikings got..." isn't a valid argument. The Vikings had a lot of leverage in that trade because they had the ability to keep Harvin in Minnesota for 3 more years if they wanted to. The Jets will lose Revis next offseason if they don't trade him now.
Harvin also was extremely disgruntled and hated the situation there, whether they were winning or not. Revis loves it here. He just wants his money. Harvin is also coming off an injury, also wants a big payday, and isn't near the caliber of player Revis is (and, his performance on the field is directly tied to a QB being able to get him the ball, whereas Revis has proven he needs no help). Harvin is also injury-prone, while Revis has had a couple of bad ones (one of those, I assume, was mainly due to missing all of training camp). Harvin is also much closer to a locker room cancer than Revis.

As for things not pertaining to Harvin... a CB the caliber of Revis does not come around very often. While at a position like WR or RB where extremely talented players are fairly replaceable, another Revis will be hard to come by. The likelihood of even a 1st rounder being at the same level as Revis, regardless of position, would be fairly difficult to bank on. For a team such as the Bucs, with the cap space they have, they can lock him up long-term to a lucrative enough deal that would make him happy, and then you have a HOF-caliber CB until he retires. For a contender, even on one-year loan, you quite possibly have the piece to put you over the top. In a league that is increasingly growing pass-happy, you need to find a way to defend the aerial attack. Having a shutdown corner is a great way to solve that problem.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:16 AM    (permalink
kBuc5
Rookie

kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.

Think the Bucs our starting to show their hand a little, I'd give the Jets the 13th pick a 4th and a mid round pick next year in exchange for Revis and their 2nd this year. Jets get a premium pick and the Bucs can use the additional 2nd to get back into the first round if they want to. Everyone wins.
kBuc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:48 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Harvin also was extremely disgruntled and hated the situation there, whether they were winning or not. Revis loves it here. He just wants his money. Harvin is also coming off an injury, also wants a big payday, and isn't near the caliber of player Revis is (and, his performance on the field is directly tied to a QB being able to get him the ball, whereas Revis has proven he needs no help). Harvin is also injury-prone, while Revis has had a couple of bad ones (one of those, I assume, was mainly due to missing all of training camp). Harvin is also much closer to a locker room cancer than Revis.

As for things not pertaining to Harvin... a CB the caliber of Revis does not come around very often. While at a position like WR or RB where extremely talented players are fairly replaceable, another Revis will be hard to come by. The likelihood of even a 1st rounder being at the same level as Revis, regardless of position, would be fairly difficult to bank on. For a team such as the Bucs, with the cap space they have, they can lock him up long-term to a lucrative enough deal that would make him happy, and then you have a HOF-caliber CB until he retires. For a contender, even on one-year loan, you quite possibly have the piece to put you over the top. In a league that is increasingly growing pass-happy, you need to find a way to defend the aerial attack. Having a shutdown corner is a great way to solve that problem.
This is basically dead on. Just because you don't necessarily want the Bucs to give up a first round pick doesn't mean he isn't worth it. We're talking about the best corner in the league by a wide margin, and frankly one of the best players in the league period. I get that he has warts, but Harvin shares a lot of those warts and Revis is a better player.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:10 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like what Izdik is doing in free agency thus far. I think he realizes that the Jets have no chance in 2013, so might as well add some pieces that will help in 2014 and beyond. Goodson, Gibson, and Barnes are the only names I've heard linked with the Jets and all are under the radar cheaper players with lots of upside.

Goodson is a perfect fit if there are no every-down workhorse backs in this draft. I think he will complement Powell very well and assuming he can stay healthy, can bring back some of what we lost in LT.

As for the Revis trade, I really think they should take a 2014 1st and maybe try to squeeze out a mid-rounder this year or something. Next years draft will likely be better, definitely at the top. If Josh Freeman falls flat on his face this year or if Doug Martin gets injured, the Bucs 1st rounder next year will be a very high pick. They're in a pretty tough division so I think at worst we'd be looking at something like 15-20, I don't see them making the playoffs.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:10 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with what Idzik's done. The Goodson signing I definitely like. Comes with some upside, lots of physical talent, pass catching ability fits the offense. Has played well when he's gotten onto the field. Would've liked to pay a bit less, but it's not like they gave him a ton of money. Curious to see what this means for the draft, since they've got 3 roster worthy backs in Goodson, Powell, and McKnight but no legit starter. Would guess they'll pluck a value if they find one, but won't fret if they can't grab someone early.

The Colon signing is solid as well. Good player, issues staying healthy, but not much risk on a one year deal. Hopefully it works out and he stays healthy this year. Again, wondering what it means for the draft. With Ducasse playing a lot and about at Slauson's level last year, they could theoretically go with him and Colon. Think they'll draft a guy and a Colon - rookie - Ducasse - Schlauderaff group isn't too bad. Question is whether it will be a day 2 guy to start or an early day 3 guy to compete with Ducasse. Could see it either way, allows some flexibility on draft day though which I like. Speaking of flexibility, would be nice to grab a guard who can play some center since there's no real backup to Mangold still and they really suffered when he was out.

Too bad Barnes got away without signing, maybe he comes back. Would like to see them land one of him and Victor Butler. With as much as McIntyre played last year, him, one of those two, a rookie, and Sapp would be a 4 man OLB rotation I could live with based on how little money they have to spend and how many needs this team has.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:32 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Apparently we didn't offer Barnes a contract. They probably don't think he'd win a starting job. We need starting caliber OLBs not mediocre ones. We should just offer Harrison a 1yr 3m contract and draft one with the 9th pick.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:51 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Thought I saw they offered him like 2 million/year and it wasn't enough. To be fair, a mediocre OLB is a starter on this team. Not too much out there, if they can get a guy on a short-term deal...otherwise I'd be concerned that McIntyre ends up starting.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:58 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When Im driving to and from work and I don't want to bother fiddling with my own music or finding a good song on the radio, i go to espn radio. There are so many guys bashing the jets on there. "Look at the Pas and Dolphins, they are getting better and the Jets are getting worse. The only thing that was going to keep them in games was that defense and they are taking it all apart." I find it pretty hillarious, because while that is sorta true, they clearly either are unwilling or unable to see how every franchise has rebuilt in the past.

Also, maybe I am overstating this, but the incompetence of the coaching on offense was so shocking, I would not be surprised to see the offense take a step forward. A lot of the guys we lost were pretty positive moves as far as I'm concerned. Shonn Greene gone is a huge plus in my estimation. I still think the team will obviously be bad because the defense has lost some good guys, but I just want to see a team that isn't an embarrassment.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:15 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Thought I saw they offered him like 2 million/year and it wasn't enough. To be fair, a mediocre OLB is a starter on this team. Not too much out there, if they can get a guy on a short-term deal...otherwise I'd be concerned that McIntyre ends up starting.
Were clearly getting one of our OLBs from the draft, maybe 2 if they manage to get the Bucs 13th pick for Revis. Can also sign a vet like Umenyiora or Harrison to a 1 year deal as well.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:21 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

It might not be a popular decision, and we'd absolutely have to trade Revis then, but I would be behind the Jets trying to sign Dumervil. He's one of those guys like Abraham that just has a knack for getting to the QB and can be productive every single year even into their 30s. It would be nice to have some veteran players around even if we go with the youth movement and signing him still wouldn't force us to get away from drafting an OLB, it would just put less pressure on that player to be the savior and less pressure on the FO to draft one period. I don't know. You don't get a lot of opportunities to get a pass rusher of that caliber and if he was willing to come to a rebuilding team, I'd be all for it. I think we'd be just fine money-wise giving him something in the 6-8 mil/year range.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:52 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
It might not be a popular decision, and we'd absolutely have to trade Revis then, but I would be behind the Jets trying to sign Dumervil. He's one of those guys like Abraham that just has a knack for getting to the QB and can be productive every single year even into their 30s. It would be nice to have some veteran players around even if we go with the youth movement and signing him still wouldn't force us to get away from drafting an OLB, it would just put less pressure on that player to be the savior and less pressure on the FO to draft one period. I don't know. You don't get a lot of opportunities to get a pass rusher of that caliber and if he was willing to come to a rebuilding team, I'd be all for it. I think we'd be just fine money-wise giving him something in the 6-8 mil/year range.
Right I'm all for bringing in a vet, just a cheaper one like Harrison. I really want Harrison bad, disappointed the jets haven't been linked to him thus far, but they weren't talking about them meeting with the other 2 vets they signed so far either in colon and Garay (lower profile ones to be sure, but still).
Old 03-16-2013, 10:27 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I don't really think they're going to sign a guy like Harrison or Osi to a one year deal. Looks like the move is under the radar guys who could step up in the right situation (we know Barnes can, had 11 sacks a couple years ago) or injury prone vets who are good when they're on the field but come cheap because of the injuries. Don't think they double dip on pass rushers in the draft, but it's a possibility.

Dumervil I'd be okay with, would be nice to have a solid contributor you can count on to get pressure in the front 7 obviously. That 6-8 million seems like a little much based on the market for pass rushers and our cap situation though. I think 6 I could handle, 8 seems like a bit much. They don't have much money left either since we need to account for the 3 million in the Revis deal and rookies (I think).

Safety position is still very unsettled. Guessing that may be Idzik's next area to focus on.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:48 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Yeah, I really hope the lack of Safeties out there doesn't result in us drafting one early.

As for Dumervil, I just think he would be a pass rusher to be feared, a good locker room presence, and a guy that could stick around long enough to help rebuild this team. A guy like Harrison won't ever come here. He'd be a disaster in this locker room and Idzik wouldn't touch a guy like him.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:53 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah, Dumervil > Harrison for me - I can't see him being good in the locker room and don't really see much of a benefit to having him here one year. Don't think we're looking for guys to get us one extra win, a guy like Harrison just doesn't fit building a team that way. My difference from your thoughts was purely on the money.

Define drafting a safety early? I wouldn't mind the right guy in round 3 or 4. Doesn't seem to be much confidence in Bush and Allen at this point. My guess is they'll bring in Dawan Landry on a one year deal and then let Bush/Allen/mid-round pick battle it out for the other starting spot.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:47 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Obviously dumervil would be better but dumervil at 7mil a year and guaranteed money or Harrison at 1 year 3 mil? I'd take Harrison every time.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:22 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Yeah, Dumervil > Harrison for me - I can't see him being good in the locker room and don't really see much of a benefit to having him here one year. Don't think we're looking for guys to get us one extra win, a guy like Harrison just doesn't fit building a team that way. My difference from your thoughts was purely on the money.

Define drafting a safety early? I wouldn't mind the right guy in round 3 or 4. Doesn't seem to be much confidence in Bush and Allen at this point. My guess is they'll bring in Dawan Landry on a one year deal and then let Bush/Allen/mid-round pick battle it out for the other starting spot.
Round 3 or 4 would be acceptable. But if it were up to me, I'd dedicate at least the first 3 rounds of the draft solely to the offense. Safety play is very unpredictable and the right guy for a system could come at any point. You just don't really net anything by spending a premium pick on a Safety unless they're a premium player (and no one in this class was particularly outstanding in college). It's just about value to me. However, it's kind of difficult to assign a round for any position to be drafted because if it's the right fit, then it's fine. And I would be down for the Landry signing. I don't know if he'd be too expensive though. Honestly, anything would be better than the Smith/Leonhard duo, so I think we could manage with mediocre Safety play to shore up everything else.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 03-16-2013 at 10:57 PM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:32 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I could be wrong, but with most teams already having spent their money and the market for pass rushers the way it's been I don't see Dumervil getting 7 million a year. And I don't think Harrison's a positive locker room guy, and frankly I'd rather let mediocre guys battle it out and suck this year than bring in a questionable locker room guy to make the team a little better in a year they won't make the playoffs anyway.

Safety is an interesting one, because I'm curious to see what kinds of guys they go after. To me a guy like DJ Swearinger who is super aggressive and also played some corner fits the general attacking and versatile defense they run right now. Definitely too aggressive at times, but I watch him play and think he'd be fun to watch in a Rex Ryan defense. But I couldn't see him playing for a guy like Mangini at all.

Landry I think would be cheap. Wondering how much cap room they have left, because I don't think it's very much. Just a few million.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:46 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

We saved what, 4m by restructuring Cro, another 3.5 by cutting pouha and had 8.5 at the start of FA so that's 16mil. Garay was probably veterans min, Colon 1.2, Folk probably min or 1mil, Goodson likely only counts 1.5 toward the cap this year so we probably still have 12mil or so left. Leaving some money to sign draft picks, that's 7mil to spend, but also more like 13-14 assuming we trade Revis.

Obviously this is some rough estimates but we haven't really put a dent in the 15-16mil of cap space we had before signing anyone.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:24 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Pretty sure if we trade Revis it's actually a negative cap hit, so instead of going to 13-14 (if your other estimates are right), it'd be more like 9-10. But by my guess, we actually have about 7 mil, and then you would have to factor in how much it would cost to sign draft picks out of that, so then we would probably be somewhere around 4 mil for FAs. We also need several roster sports to fill, so... especially if we go after Kolb, there probably won't be another notable name we go after (and I don't think we'd be able to afford Landry).
Old 03-17-2013, 12:00 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I think I'm with you till we get to 7 million Rob, but then like TTGS pointed out his cap charge goes up when he gets traded. Think it was 6, now 7 with the roster bonus, and it's another 3 for trading him. So that leaves around 3 million, but that's just a guess obviously. Unfortunately the cap site I usually use isn't being updated.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

How would trading Revis be negative on the cap when he only has 1 year left on the deal? Don't cap hits usually imply that there is guaranteed money in future years that has to be paid?

Dawan's brother got a 1 yr 3 mil deal from us, you think he's worth more than that?
Old 03-17-2013, 05:24 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah they do, he probably does have guaranteed money next year though. I won't pretend to be a cap expert, but that's been widely reported.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ects-1-million

I'd hope they could get Dawan on about a 1 year, 1.5 million dollar deal.