Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 03-15-2013, 04:29 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootylicous View Post
John freaking Abraham!!!
I hope this is true. Abraham is still surprisingly quick off the ball despite being older than dirt.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:36 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Adrian ******* Wilson!!!

yay

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:01 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

*does a happy dance*

Adrian Wilson could be Rodney Harrison all over again.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:18 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not crazy about the Wilson signing actually. There are still much better safeties on the market right now. The Cardinals started to use him as a rotational player, and took him off in obvious passing downs, sometimes replacing him with James Sanders of all people. Now don't get me wrong, he's a much better player than embarassingly bad angle Gregory, but I would have been happier with Mikell or Rhodes. Still, Wilson does bring a bit of boom, and would appear at first glance to be a natural complement to McCourty.

Edit: I didn't consider the potential of Wilson as a nickel LB at his size. It looks a little better to me now.

Last edited by cmarq83 : 03-16-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:07 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not too big on the Wilson signing either. Historically he's been pretty inconsistent, but hovering around average. The one exception would be 2011, in which his metrics look great, but he also declined significantly after that. If you look at his run support +/- on PFF, he hasn't been very good in that regard. If only the first year is guaranteed and we can part ways with him after that, fine, but otherwise it doesn't make much sense to sign a 33 year-old safety whose play has recently been average and fell off a cliff last year.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:01 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Talib is back!

yay

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:34 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes @ Talib!!!!!!!

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:37 AM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is great news. Now drafting a CB with the first pick becomes less important. Doesn't mean they shouldn't do it. But at least they don't have to do it. The one year deal should keep Talib on his best behavior and make him work hard to maximize his value next year (when we can do this all over again).
TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm still saying we need to go WR in the first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:34 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With Wilson and Talib, DL becomes more of an option with the first pick, too. But I'm all in favor of sacrificing the first round pick for Cruz or Fitz. No-brainer.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lloyd released, increases the likelihood we sign E.Sanders to an offer sheet.
Neither Freeny nor Abraham signed, wonder if that means we might be interested in Doom.
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:55 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPVhmZodaLA&t=6m7s
Old 03-16-2013, 06:31 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackluck View Post
Lloyd released, increases the likelihood we sign E.Sanders to an offer sheet.
Neither Freeny nor Abraham signed, wonder if that means we might be interested in Doom.
we all know BB likes his linebackers a certain size. DOOM is only 5'11.... I honestly cant see that happening

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:02 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

True that, but with the McDaniels link (he has after all brought over his share of former Rams) and the ever present pass rush need, I thought there might be some interest. But along with the size I think he signed with Condon, so yeah no go there.

In other news, looks like NE was interested in bringing Woodhead back (I for one am bummed he's gone) and talks resume Monday with Abraham. Matthew has a great write up on how we chose to address the secondary, although I'm more enthusiastic on the Wilson signing.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:55 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proshoota25 View Post
we all know BB likes his linebackers a certain size. DOOM is only 5'11.... I honestly cant see that happening
Belichick only cares about that when drafting players high. He'll take shorter guys if they are already successful pros who can perform the way they want their players to perform.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:11 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Belichick only cares about that when drafting players high. He'll take shorter guys if they are already successful pros who can perform the way they want their players to perform.
Like who? I can't think of any rushers who have even been 6'1". It seems like 6'2" is as short as it gets.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:42 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Like who? I can't think of any rushers who have even been 6'1". It seems like 6'2" is as short as it gets.
There aren't many edge rushers that are sub 6'2" in the NFL, period. (especially 2-3 years ago)

I consider anything under 6'4" or maybe a tall 6'3" to be undersized for Belichick. His prototype is 6'5" and 255+.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just want to know why we havent signed Ed Reed yet, a pairing of Wilson/Reed at Safety would be marvelous. With Talib, McCourty and hopefully Dennard filling in for CB. Sounds good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I just want to know why we havent signed Ed Reed yet, a pairing of Wilson/Reed at Safety would be marvelous. With Talib, McCourty and hopefully Dennard filling in for CB. Sounds good to me.
Can't forget our 16 million dollar man Kyle Arrington.

I think McCourty is going to be back at safety from here on out. He played well there, and it is nice to know we have a guy who can move around throughout the secondary. We still have Tavon Wilson as a talented youngster, and Gregory is now probably a backup but he will still see snaps. Ebner is a special teams stud but he still saw some snaps on defense as a rookie.

My point is I think we are all done on bringing in higher value DB's this offseason, meaning FA and rounds 1/2 of the draft. I could be wrong and would not be opposed to seeing us bring in Reed, I would actually love that, I just don't see it happening. I am comfortable with McCourty at safety now but I still think he could play corner at a high level since he probably gained some confidence last year, but at the same time it is tough to move him after he played so well after we picked up Talib. I think we will stick to that formula just with Adrian Wilson added to the mix.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:35 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reed is failing fast at this point. Any price looks like a bit too much when you get only a few games at a time out of him.

I still think Dennard will avoid any jail time, at least any that impacts the season. Unless he has a rap sheet a mile long, anyway. Suspended sentence / probation / time served when convenient . . . the usual 'get out of jail' gig we see athletes receive.

I'm good with adding a good CB option in the draft and letting him fight for Arrington's spot.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:18 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

McCourty had something like a 10.6 QB rating against after the switch to safety. Something tells me we want to continue down this path and see where it leads. He certainly played immensely better at safety than he did at CB. I'd still be down for Reed, but unfortunately we paid Wilson so I think we're done in the back end unless we add another CB. We need to focus our efforts on adding another pass rusher, receiver, and Dansby.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:59 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

BB does seem be satisfied with the DBs, which surprised me. I guess there's something to be said for continuity given the constant tinkering the past few years. But if either Arrington or Cole end up playing any substantial time on the outside we're right back where we started.

Pats do seem very interested in upgrading the DL though - from M. Johnson to Spears to D. Bryant, they were in the mix for all of them, leading me to believe a DT is quite likely in the draft since we've not been able to sign any in FA.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:09 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Anyone see Woodhead's contract with SD?
I'm with Reiss, puzzled why we didn't resign him for those numbers.
So, let the conspiracy theories begin:

1) He didn't want to come back to NE (e.g. the weather is just a tad better in SD)
2) He was pissed Welker was allowed to walk
3) We're saving up for a big payday for ...someone.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:55 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be surprised if Woodhead even considered staying in NE vs. SD. He's the clear 3rd down guy there with a nice role locked up. Here he'd be looking over his shoulder (or, more likely, in from the sidelines) at Shane Vereen. On top of that, all 3 of our young RBs are locked up for 3 years at lower totals.

I like Woodhead and wish him well, but he's not a huge loss. He made a good choice to get while the gettin' was good.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:53 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackluck View Post
Anyone see Woodhead's contract with SD?
I'm with Reiss, puzzled why we didn't resign him for those numbers.
So, let the conspiracy theories begin:

1) He didn't want to come back to NE (e.g. the weather is just a tad better in SD)
2) He was pissed Welker was allowed to walk
3) We're saving up for a big payday for ...someone.
You can put me into the don't care at all that Woodhead is gone category. I think Danny has some value to an NFL team, but he just didn't bring what the offense needed for the most part last year. He's a reliable 3rd down target who you feel comfortable running a draw with or throwing a short pass to, but he was stuck on an offense full of reliable possession guys. This offense is one that needs someone who can get it big chunks of yards, and Vereen has flashed being that kind of guy. Whether he's split out wide, runs a wheel route, or they run that misdirection pitch to him he has a different kind of skill set than Woodhead, and one that complements the pieces we have in place already better.

I'm a firm believer that you need to come into every season with a few tweaks offensively to keep the machine running, and it was Woodhead's time to exit. He was a satisfactory replacement to Kevin Faulk for awhile, but he wasn't productive enough and got too many snaps relative to his contributions. However, I think adding a bit of speed with Vereen, Washington, and potentially Demps does a lot more to improve the offense than randomly giving touches to Danny for reliability's sake.