Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-16-2013, 02:21 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think its interesting we've been linked to almost every DB in FA, hosting many (Woodson, Nnamdi, Delmas, Dahl) but have yet to pull the trigger on a signing.

Definitely going to be a big priority in the draft, possibly priority #1.

On a related note, yesterday we were reported to be in "serious negotiations" with Woodson and Asomugha. But nothing else has been reported about it in the 24 hours since.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:52 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2am View Post
I think VA's point was missed here regarding the numbers of the contract. The average salary for the first two years of the contract is in the 6 million range (I actually think it's less than the 6.4 number he gave you). That number does not scream overpaid to me.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-franc...carlos-rogers/

I don't know where the 3 million in penalties comes from - remaining signing bonus? And if that's the case, a 3 million dollar hit as opposed to the 8 million he would count against the cap seems like we are in fact saving 5 million.
Yes if he's released this year there is 4.5 remaining signing bonus money, next year there will be 3 million remaining. We will have to agree to disagree, I think it's a bad contract.

His total salary this year is 7.3 million, it goes to 8.1 next year, and 9.1 in 2015. He is worth 3-4 million/yr max. Even if we cut him next year we not only have to pay 3 million in cap penalties but we also overpaid him in 2012 and 2013 imo.

http://ninercaphell.com/carlos-rogers/

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fire Baalke immediately. I mean, how dare he not be 100% great all the time. His crystal ball can be faulty sometimes.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
In draft news I am really liking Jordan Reed's fit as Delaine Walkers replacement in the second or third round.
Hell yeah, I love this guy. I think he could contribute right away although his route running needs a little work. He definitely needs to work on his blocking but I think he could develop into a Delanie clone.

Quote:
Old 03-16-2013, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Fire Baalke immediately. I mean, how dare he not be 100% great all the time. His crystal ball can be faulty sometimes.
LOL, all I'm saying is that it's a bad contract imo. I didn't know that we should stop thinking for ourselves and worship Baalke's every move. I'll consider that plan of action...lol...I think Baalke is great, never implied that he should be replaced.

Quote:
Old 03-16-2013, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wasn't pointing out anyone specifically. Just being sarcastic. If there's going to be a bunch of Holly Hindsights in here, especially when you're talking about a GM of a professional sports franchise, then there isn't a GM anywhere that is without criticism. It's pretty lame tbh since these guys are required to predict the future. News Flash: some moves aren't going to work out guys. I know. Shocking, right? Baalke has far exceeded my expectations so far, so I'm sure as hell not going to beat him up for declining to make Dashon Goldson a billionaire.

And just to preemptively nip this in the bud, yes, you have every right to voice your complaints here as much as you want. But after reading the same complaints from the same posters 7 trillion times, you should be prepared for some sarcastic and mostly snarky responses, mostly from me.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:19 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

mock draft 1v:

1. eric reid - s

2. desmond trufant - cb

2. jordan reed - te

3. khaled holmes - c

3. robert woods - wr

4. kiko alonso - ilb

5. brandon williams - dt

6. caleb sturgis - k

7. branden hanson - g

this is going to change but this is a " rough draft " for my first effort
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:21 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we just signed craig dahl to a 3 year deal? wtf...
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:35 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
we just signed craig dahl to a 3 year deal? wtf...
You're joking right?

This better be a ST contract not a starting safety contract

Quote:

Last edited by Shupp : 03-16-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:43 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

If Dahl gets the 3rd safety job (I refuse to believe that he will be starting) this might show a severe lack of confidence by Baalke in Spillman and Trenton Robinson as far as being able to be the 3rd safety is season.

Quote:

Last edited by Shupp : 03-16-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:56 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
If Dahl gets the 3rd safety job (I refuse to believe that he will be starting) this might show a severe lack of confidence by Baalke in Spillman and Trenton Robinson as far as being able to be the 3rd safety is season.
I thought that too but honestly, better to be safe than sorry. You dont really know how guys will respond when their role is expanded. When we re-signed Goldson and signed Whitner before the 2011 season, we also signed Madieu Williams....just in case. Always good to have a contingency plan.

Or another way to view is he takes over Spillman's STs role when he moves into the starting line-up....stranger things have happened.

Dahl is no world beater, but he can back-up both safeties spots, and has experience. Hopefully he was dirt cheap. Though he's more a of a SS, he brings more to the table than McBath, the guy he's essentially replacing on the roster. McBath was a RFA who didnt even get a tender offer from us. I assume Baalke wanted an upgrade.

We're still going after Woodson or whoever to be the starter. This move doesn't change that.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-16-2013 at 06:13 PM.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:15 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

Dahl did his due diligence & asked the 49ers which other safeties they've brought in. Said he wouldn't be disappointed if others are signed.

Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

GM Trent Baalke must be ecstatic. The last time he had this many people calling him an idiot, he was named NFL Executive of the Year. (2011)

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-16-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
I thought that too but honestly, better to be safe than sorry. You dont really know how guys will respond when their role is expanded. When we re-signed Goldson and signed Whitner before the 2011 season, we also signed Madieu Williams....just in case. Always good to have a contingency plan.

Or another way to view is he takes over Spillman's STs role when he moves into the starting line-up....stranger things have happened.

Dahl is no world beater, but he can back-up both safeties spots, and has experience. Hopefully he was dirt cheap. Though he's more a of a SS, he brings more to the table than McBath, the guy he's essentially replacing on the roster. McBath was a RFA who didnt even get a tender offer from us. I assume Baalke wanted an upgrade.

We're still going after Woodson or whoever to be the starter. This move doesn't change that.
Yeah I think Dahl is good pickup if he's a cheap and reliable 3rd safety. Can't wait to see the terms of this contract.

Quote:
Old 03-16-2013, 06:59 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

And I just realized something....we also have to replace Goldson's ST's contributions as well. Dahl is probably part of replacing his STs role. Its probably going to take a couple of signings to replace all that Goldson did. A guy to take his starting safety role. A guy to take his ST role.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:24 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dahl started every game last year, right? It doesn't hurt having like that on the team. I doubt he starts, and I see him playing on ST.

I think this signing shows that they are going to draft a safety within their first couple picks.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:28 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

How about Hunter and Cyprien with our first 2 picks?
Old 03-16-2013, 07:33 PM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran

Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would really like DJ Swearinger as replacement for Goldson.
Justone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:35 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
Dahl started every game last year, right? It doesn't hurt having like that on the team. I doubt he starts, and I see him playing on ST.

I think this signing shows that they are going to draft a safety within their first couple picks.
Yea he did, though he was the 7th worst safety in the entire league according to PFF

Even if he is a back-up, doesn't hurt to have a guy with starting experience. Im thinking he's more depth/insurance policy kind of deal who will focus mainly on STs. Spillman, Robinson, and whoever else we bring in via free agency and the draft will get ample opportunity to push him further down the depth chart.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:44 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Really like Cyprien but he's more of a SS. I doubt Baalke goes WR two years running. I see us going safety or DT first pick. My hunch is, were going to be big players on draft day. I think Baalke going to be wheeling and dealing. I can see him moving up to mid first to grab a guy he really likes. Wouldnt dare guess who though, Baalke always make my first pick guesses look silly. I will say that I hope he's moving up to grab a impact DT or Vaccaro.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:22 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For those in the TE discussion - are you not tossing around Travis Kelce's name because of the suspension he served? If that's why, I can understand that - if not, I think you're missing the boat. I see him as a much better fit than Reed.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:34 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kenny Vaccaro.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:40 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Q: What role did you play on the Rams’ Special Teams the last few years?

DAHL: I played primarily on the punt team. It’s the same position Dashon did while he was in San Francisco – the personal protector on the punt team.
Bingo.

Word on Dahl's deal is, 3 years, max with incentives is 5 million, 800k signing bonus....chump change.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:53 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2am View Post
For those in the TE discussion - are you not tossing around Travis Kelce's name because of the suspension he served? If that's why, I can understand that - if not, I think you're missing the boat. I see him as a much better fit than Reed.
I think they mean in terms of skill-set to match Walker's. Reed is a Aaron Hernandez clone. Unfortunately he blocks just as bad as he does also. Kelce is along the lines of the more traditional TE-mold.

I still say if your looking for a guy to match Walker's skill-set, you wont find a better prospect in this draft than Chris Gragg from Arkansas. Great athlete, great speed and already a good blocker. Has some injury history but he's solid all around in my book.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:54 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hopefully, Baalke can get Asomugha and Woodson. Dahl is basically the ST replacement for Goldson but at the same time, it still remains to be seen if he even makes the final 53 because with him, we have four safeties (Whitner, Spillman, Robinson and Dahl), could be five or more depending on if we sign Woodson and the draft.

I dont want Baalke to get fired or anything. I think that he's done an excellent job. The last two years have been perfect compared to the previous nine years so im not complaining.

I just wish that Baalke would have paid Goldson instead of Rogers or at the very least, already have a FS to replace Goldson instead of now having to find a replacement via FA or the draft.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:11 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Just no on Cyprien.. I would like really Elam but that is just me or Reid if possible at 34 .
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote