Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 03-12-2013, 01:22 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So a couple new thoughts as the draft draws slightly nearer.

I've warmed up to the idea of a first round WR. Our scheme absolutely requires 3 very good WRs. While you could say we have that with Nelson, Jones and Cobb if one of those guys gets injured, especially Cobb, our offense could quickly skid to a halt. Probably my three favorites, in order, are Keenan Allen, Aaron Dobson or Quinton Patton. I'd be somewhat annoyed if we picked one of the latter two in the first, however; I'd rather wait until our 2nd pick and take one there. Allen would be worth a first.

I strongly dislike the thought of a space-eating NT with our first pick. It's a waste of a first rounder, imo. Unless you're getting a NT with a unique ability, which I don't think Jenkins or Hankins have, you're better of waiting until middle rounds. If we draft one of those guys, at BEST they'll be a marginal rotation player this year. Not exactly what we need.

I still think a play-making MLB would be a fantastic choice (I've already professed my love for Arthur Brown and I'd love Ogletree even more if TT looked past the concerns.) However, a Minter or Te'eo would make me question why we didn't just resign Jones as those two share a lot of his strengths and weaknesses.

OLine would be a weird choice, I think. Have to imagine we're locked in with a line of Newhouse, Sitton, EDS, Lang, Bulaga with potentially Barclay and Sherrod pushing for a position. I don't know where you really upgrade there; sure, you can go LT but assuming Lane Johnson is gone you're only option is Armstead and he's not going to be an improvement over Newhouse this year, although his upside is great. Obviously if Warmack or Cooper fell you probably would pull the trigger in about .0005 seconds, as it'd give you an immediate upgrade over Lang and a much deeper OLine group; but that ain't gunna happen.

Looks like we'll give Finley one more year, which is a good call in my opinion.

Safety is an option that I'm not totally against. McMillian has some potential but really, you probably would expect Elam or Cyprien to give you at least what McMillian does immediately with a lot more upside.

OLB could be a wild card pick. I loved the Perry pick and still have hopes there, but there is some serious 3-4 OLB talent in this draft and if a guy like Mingo or Moore is sitting there at our pick I could see us pulling the trigger and working out a rotation to maximize pass rush.

CB would be a crazy pick and make me cry. Holy beejeez are we deep at corner.

HB in the first would make me cry, also. Who the heck is worth a first here? I wouldn't mind Montee Ball or Lacy in the second, or even better, the third. Even better, how about Marcus "I would have been a top 10 pick if not for my ACL" Lattimore in the 5th?

Overall I'm rooting for a playmaking MLB, Jonathan Cooper, Cyprien or Patterson/Allen in the first. I could learn to be happy with Damontre Moore or any of the other flashly OLB prospects that could fall to us.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:57 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mark it down, round one, pick #26:

Green Bay Packers: Arthur Brown, ILB, Kansas State

According to draft insider Tony Pauline, Kansas State LB Arthur Brown "blew up" his pro day workout.

We already blurbed that Brown weighed in at 236 pounds and recorded 21 bench press reps, a notable number since some of have speculated he is dealing with a shoulder injury. Brown's forty time ranged from 4.58 to 4.62 seconds and during the workout he "was sensational, showing a quick change of direction and losing no momentum altering his angle of attack," Pauline writes. "He was fast in every direction and really solid in ball drills." We consider him a top 10 talent, although he might be selected much later.

Source: TFY Draft Insider Mar 13 - 9:52 AM
Old 03-13-2013, 03:50 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate to burst your bubble on another prospect, J-Mike, but I don't see Brown being available when we pick. He could go as high as Pittsburgh at 17 and he'd be a nice fit at OLB for Cincinnati at 21.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I hate to burst your bubble on another prospect, J-Mike, but I don't see Brown being available when we pick. He could go as high as Pittsburgh at 17 and he'd be a nice fit at OLB for Cincinnati at 21.
Yeah he's seemingly climbed... I was going by other folks mocks from the past and he was never gone before our 26 pick.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:28 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

This team needs NEW BLOOD at ILB.

I talked to someone with some insight into the Packers medical staff and they do not expect Bishop to be near 100% even by the end of the year.... he tore the whole phuqing hamstring.... they had to re-attach it. It wasn't just a little tear or something. Of course with our phuqing luck, at least he didn't have to retire in his prime like Collins, and Sterling Sharpe.

Hawk sucks, flatout... he's a below average LB.

I think there are a handful of ILB's who could make this defense a lot better immediately. That is, if we have the coaching staff there to teach them.

Patrick Willis was a mid-first round pick, and Bowman was not even a 1st rounder.

I want to upgrade our ILB's first & foremost.
After that, DL, S, RB, OT, C, WR, TE..... any order, BPA.
I don't put OLB high because I think Perry will make them better and Moses will be a fine backup at OLB.
A 4th OLB can be found if not Zombo.....
Old 03-17-2013, 01:38 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1725130

Good 3rd Rd pick for us?
Old 03-17-2013, 01:41 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1725130

Good 3rd Rd pick for us?
Kelce has some character concerns attached to him so I don't know if he's a fit for TT. I really like Kelce as a prospect though and would love to add him.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:53 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't know who knows best, but I do know this guy talks directly to scouts and some team GMs. Check out #65.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...n-talent-tiers

Might have to be an ESPN Insider to see it... if you can't, let me know.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:23 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
I don't know who knows best, but I do know this guy talks directly to scouts and some team GMs. Check out #65.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...n-talent-tiers

Might have to be an ESPN Insider to see it... if you can't, let me know.
I'm not able to view that

Old 03-17-2013, 07:02 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
I'm not able to view that
Here's PART of it:

Tier 1

These are the elite prospects, those who have the potential to come off the board in the top five overall picks.

OVR

Player

POS

School

HT

WT

Grade

Luke Joeckel*

OT

Texas A&M

6-6

Sharrif Floyd*

DT

Florida

6-2⅝

Eric Fisher

OT

Central Michigan

6-7

Star Lotulelei

DT

Utah

6-2

Tier 2

This tier is composed of players who are a notch below elite but are still top-10 quality.

OVR

Player

POS

School

HT

WT

Grade

Dee Milliner*

CB

Alabama

5-11⅞

Ezekiel Ansah

DE

BYU

6-5

Dion Jordan

OLB

Oregon

6-6

Chance Warmack

OG

Alabama

6-2

Tier 6

This tier contains prospects who are worthy of mid-to-late second-round consideration.

OVR

Player

POS

School

HT

WT

Grade

Ryan Nassib

QB

Syracuse

6-2⅛

DeAndre Hopkins*

WR

Clemson

6-1

Travis Frederick*

OC

Wisconsin

6-3⅝

Kevin Minter*

ILB

LSU

5-11

Cornellius Carradine

DE

Florida State

6-4⅛

Gavin Escobar*

TE

San Diego State

6-5⅞

Sio Moore

OLB

Connecticut

6-0

Brandon Williams

DT

Missouri Southern State

6-1

DJ Hayden

CB

Houston

5-11⅛

Landry Jones

QB

Oklahoma

6-4⅛

Aaron Dobson

WR

Marshall

6-2

Johnthan Banks

CB

Mississippi State

6-2

D.J. Swearinger

S

South Carolina

5-10

Jesse Williams

DT

Alabama

6-3⅜

Terrance Williams

WR

Baylor

6-2

Kyle Long

OG

Oregon

6-6⅛

Jamar Taylor

CB

Boise State

5-10⅝

Larry Warford

OG

Kentucky

6-3

Khaseem Greene

OLB

Rutgers

6-0

Terron Armstead

OT

Arkansas-Pine Bluff

6-4

Robert Woods*

WR

USC

6-0⅜

Matt Elam*

S

Florida

5-9⅞

Datone Jones

DE

UCLA

6-3⅞

Arthur Brown

OLB

Kansas State

6-0⅜

EJ Manuel

QB

Florida State

6-4⅝

John Cyprien

S

FIU

6-0

Mike Glennon

QB

North Carolina State

6-7⅛

Jordan Reed*

TE

Florida

6-2

J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:04 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

I don't know why it spreads out so damn much like that... should have been formatted.
It's from McShay this week.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:41 PM    (permalink
CheeseKnuckles
Rookie

CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wondering how people would feel if our 1st round pick was either Desmond Trufant or Xavier Rhodes?
CheeseKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:37 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
I don't know why it spreads out so damn much like that... should have been formatted.
It's from McShay this week.
There's plenty of players in that 42 to 68 range that I could see going in the first round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseKnuckles View Post
Wondering how people would feel if our 1st round pick was either Desmond Trufant or Xavier Rhodes?
Corner doesn't make much sense for the first round. We have three youngsters in Shields, Hayward and House plus Tramon is still in the fold.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:58 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Latest mock on CBSSports has Jonathon Cooper falling to us. I'd take that pick in a second, even if I don't think OLine is one of our top 3 or 4 needs. He'd give us one of the best guard tandems in the game and free up Lang as an awesome backup #1 for tackle or guard.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:05 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
Latest mock on CBSSports has Jonathon Cooper falling to us. I'd take that pick in a second, even if I don't think OLine is one of our top 3 or 4 needs. He'd give us one of the best guard tandems in the game and free up Lang as an awesome backup #1 for tackle or guard.
Lang's getting paid too much to be a backup.
And I think he's good enough to be a starter.
I don't know what I'd think about using our 1st on an OG... even though I like Cooper of course.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:12 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
There's plenty of players in that 42 to 68 range that I could see going in the first round.

Corner doesn't make much sense for the first round. We have three youngsters in Shields, Hayward and House plus Tramon is still in the fold.
Shields is a free agent. As for Trufant there isn't that big a difference between the two to make it crazy.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:09 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar View Post
Shields is a free agent. As for Trufant there isn't that big a difference between the two to make it crazy.
Shields is a RFA with a high tender. Teams rarely make plays on RFAs and even if they do, we'd match any offer. He will be a Packer in 2013.

Corner would be a mistake in the draft, I think. Safety would be much more logical, especially with guys like Cyprien most likely available at our pick.

I agree that I don't really want us to go OLine in the first few rounds, but Cooper or Warmack wouldn't kill me.

I also have soured on Lacy in the first, or any RB. I'd rather take one in the 2nd, as the top 4 or 5 are all pretty similar grades imo.

I'm probably most interested in someone like Tyler Eifert, Keenan Allen, Damontre Moore, Arthur Brown or even Datone Jones. Those guys are all difference makers, I think. You could argue that Eifert or Allen or Moore would be redundant, but a clever coach can never have too many weapons. If our problem became having Moore and Nick Perry both look great... man, how great of a problem would that be. Or trying to find enough snaps for both Eifert and Finley to catch TDs. Jeez, that'd really suck.

It worked out great with Cobb; get playmaking prospects first and sort out how to find snaps for them second.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:17 AM    (permalink
CheeseKnuckles
Rookie

CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I disagree... I don't see how we are SO set at CB.

Tramon Williams - Production has declined. He and another CB were the first ever CBs to give up 1000 yards last season. That is in the history of the NFL. If his play isn't better he is gone next season.

Sam Shields - Is anyone really considering him a true #1 cover CB? I hope not.

Casey Hayward - Future looks bright.

Davon House - Couldn't stay on the field

That to me doesn't scream a situation in which a #1 CB if available is passed on. In a passing league I don't see how you can pass on a #1 CB.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Is corner a first round need? Absolutely not.

I agree that Tramon Williams play has declined, and this could very well be his last year with the team. Shields isn't a #1 corner but he is certainly starting caliber and Casey Hayward is an impressive player. Davon House will be entering his third season and the team will give him the chance to show he can stay healthy before investing an early pick on the position.

Also consider that they defensive back class is extremely deep so the team can look at a developmental prospect like a BW Webb or Terry Hawthorne to bring in around the fourth round or so. I'd love to be able to add a player like Desmond Trufant, but this team has greater holes to fill, especially with their early round picks.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:33 AM    (permalink
CheeseKnuckles
Rookie

I guess I just look at how well we did in 2010 during the SB run and I see Woodson/Shields/Tramon all playing press man coverage. I think if we can get back to that we increase our chances of being successful.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:36 AM    (permalink
CheeseKnuckles
Rookie

I also see that it isn't the hightest "need", but when I look at the 1st round I think Trufant could be available at 26 and it might be the best value...
Old 03-18-2013, 09:44 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
I guess I just look at how well we did in 2010 during the SB run and I see Woodson/Shields/Tramon all playing press man coverage. I think if we can get back to that we increase our chances of being successful.
Quote:
I also see that it isn't the hightest "need", but when I look at the 1st round I think Trufant could be available at 26 and it might be the best value...
When we made our Super Bowl run we were very good in the secondary and I feel that played in large part to our front seven being able to generate pressure (Cullen at end and Clay on the edge plus we had Nick Collins), and as the team is currently constructed we lack any down lineman who has the ability to put pressure on the quarterback or be disruptive in the backfield.

If we address secondary in the first round, I would prefer to see the safety position be the focus because we have no one I would characterize as a ball hawk and we instead have a handful of guys who would prefer to operate closer to the box.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:42 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar View Post
No he isn't. And the difference between Trufant and Shields is that Shields has proven he is a starting caliber CB in the NFL, Trufant hasn't. You don't pick a CB in the 1st round when you have 4 perfectly good one's for the position on the depth chart they will be.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
No he isn't. And the difference between Trufant and Shields is that Shields has proven he is a starting caliber CB in the NFL, Trufant hasn't. You don't pick a CB in the 1st round when you have 4 perfectly good one's for the position on the depth chart they will be.
This.

I live in Seattle. I've seen Trufant play. He wasn't that good in college. He did well at the senior bowl and he's got a big name but he's a major project. Seriously lacking technique work. Shields is a further along project.

And do I think Shields can become a lockdown #1? Yup. Sure do. He has at least equal physical tools to Trufant and already has shown the ability to be an NFL Starter. Is he a legit #2? Easily.

Heyward isn't a question mark at this point (could always regress, but you have to imagine he won't.)

House was considered a lock to be our #2 corner until his shoulder injury last year and his upside is very good.

Tramon is beaten up a little too harshly by us Packer fans but he's still a legit NFL starter.

Jarrett Bush is, quite frankly, an NFL quality #3 corner. I hate him but he's improved and if he's your #3 corner and the weakest spot on your team? Way to go. He's our #5.

So no, I wouldn't be happy with a corner in the first or in the second. It's probably our best position of depth on our entire team. Actually, scratch the probably; IT IS our deepest position.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:52 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Updating the order of needs for this team heading into the draft

1. DE
2. RB
3. OT (specifically left tackle)
4. S
5. WR
6. Interior OL depth