Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 02-01-2013, 01:08 AM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default How Active will Kansas City be in Free Agency?

Hey guys, who do you think KC will take in the free agency? The last I remember we have a lot of space to use to keep at the 90% cap limit. I'm just throwing a couple names out there who I'd like(or can envision) seeing in a KC uniform.
1. Braden Albert
2. D-Bowe
3. Flacco or Smith
4. Maluaga/ Ellerbe
5. Dorsey
6. Nmandi Aso.

In The draft I'd like to see us take a
1. QB overall(Geno or Wilson, I'd think it'd be great to have him sit a year and get groomed by Reid. I like Wilson a lot but this pick gives us depth at a QB position)
2. CB(Poyer, Elam, etc. Asomugha provides us with two good starters, and depth for a guy to grow and the likely possibility that Flowers gets hurt)
3. The ILB from K-State everyone at AHP keeps talking about. He doesn't strike me as the "thumper" type though.

Like I said, We'd put the redskins to shame if we grabbed all those FA's(if they end up being available) but it'd be nice to see 1. our guys kept in house and 2. at least two or three guys. I hope they really invest in the QB position and get this ship in the right direction.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 PM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It just doesn't make any sense for the Chiefs to trade for a game manager type of quarterback like Alex Smith. That's not the type of offense that Andy runs. Free agent, maybe...as a rental until the drafted QB is ready to go. Would Alex Smith be willing to take that role? I doubt it.

As for the Niner fans who think that Alex Smith is one of the top ten QBs in the league, they need to get back on their meds. He's a game manager, he's a better version of Matt Cassel, but only better because of good coaching. To me the San Francisco Chronicle piece about Andy "courting" Alex is more about someone trying to stir up interest in Alex than real interest.
TheMatriculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:29 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We need to re-sign Branden Albert/Dustin Colquitt/Dwayne Bowe, in that order. Albert and Colquitt are more important, in my opinion.

I don't see us being super active in FA outside of our own guys though. Maybe we'll sign a few guys to some smaller contracts to fill holes, but I doubt we'll sign any big player.

And please god no to Alex Smith. Just no.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:26 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
We need to re-sign Branden Albert/Dustin Colquitt/Dwayne Bowe, in that order. Albert and Colquitt are more important, in my opinion.

I don't see us being super active in FA outside of our own guys though. Maybe we'll sign a few guys to some smaller contracts to fill holes, but I doubt we'll sign any big player.
Colquitt is a stud and all but I don't see him being more important than Bowe.

I'm not sold on any other WR on the roster.

It's a decent group with Bowe in the mix but with out him ugh...
Old 02-01-2013, 07:01 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I honestly do think he's more important than Bowe. People generally don't realize how important kickers or punters are until you don't have one. With Dave Toub now coaching our special teams I think they can be a really special unit, and Colquitt is at the very center of that.

And he's going to want a lot less money than Bowe, obviously.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Bowe fan, but this is a good draft for WRs, so I could see us picking up someone in the second or third that fits our new scheme perfectly, at a fraction of the cost. And don't forget free agency.. some nice WRs are going to be hitting the open market there too.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 PM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I honestly do think he's more important than Bowe. People generally don't realize how important kickers or punters are until you don't have one. With Dave Toub now coaching our special teams I think they can be a really special unit, and Colquitt is at the very center of that.

And he's going to want a lot less money than Bowe, obviously.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Bowe fan, but this is a good draft for WRs, so I could see us picking up someone in the second or third that fits our new scheme perfectly, at a fraction of the cost. And don't forget free agency.. some nice WRs are going to be hitting the open market there too.
Yeah but Vidae, do you want our new shiny QB to be with a rookie WR who is likely our best Wideout? Given Reid's history on drafting Wideouts, I don't know if I'd trust that rookie....
On that same note, our GM isn't much of a free agent guy, very much a guy who builds through the draft. if we signed our guys' in house I'd be considered ecstatic(and maybe a QB)
Old 02-02-2013, 01:29 AM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If they don't make cuts that they should be making (Cassel, Tyson Jackson), they won't have the space to make any moves beyond trying to retain talent.

I think they make those cuts, but this year will be more about retaining players than bringing in new ones. Maybe a Defensive lineman and some depth and that will be about it.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatriculator View Post
It just doesn't make any sense for the Chiefs to trade for a game manager type of quarterback like Alex Smith. That's not the type of offense that Andy runs. Free agent, maybe...as a rental until the drafted QB is ready to go. Would Alex Smith be willing to take that role? I doubt it.

As for the Niner fans who think that Alex Smith is one of the top ten QBs in the league, they need to get back on their meds. He's a game manager, he's a better version of Matt Cassel, but only better because of good coaching. To me the San Francisco Chronicle piece about Andy "courting" Alex is more about someone trying to stir up interest in Alex than real interest.
Jeez man, are you related to Nostradamus? I like what we've done so far in Free Agency, it just confuses me as to what we are going to do for the number one overall pick. Outside of ILB and a safety outside of Berry, I don't see a glaring need on our roster now(besides depth). I heard that the entire staff went to go see Dion Jordan at the Oregon Pro Day. I'm assuming they think he can bulk up a little bit to play both DE/OLB so we can play a mixture of 4-3, 34 and 46?
Old 03-16-2013, 06:18 PM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
Jeez man, are you related to Nostradamus? I like what we've done so far in Free Agency, it just confuses me as to what we are going to do for the number one overall pick. Outside of ILB and a safety outside of Berry, I don't see a glaring need on our roster now(besides depth). I heard that the entire staff went to go see Dion Jordan at the Oregon Pro Day. I'm assuming they think he can bulk up a little bit to play both DE/OLB so we can play a mixture of 4-3, 34 and 46?
LOL. I didn't say they wouldn't sign Alex Smith, I just said they shouldn't. We (Chiefs fans on this forum) have had this argument before. For me, Alex Smith is a player with a high floor and a low ceiling. If your goal is selling tickets, filling the stadium, going to the playoffs and winning one...maybe one...playoff game, then Alex Smith is your man. If you goal is going to the Super Bowl, Alex Smith is NOT your man. Harbaugh figured that out. Maybe I'm wrong, I hope I'm wrong.

Here's what I think the Chiefs will (or should) do:
PLAN A: Trade back. You won't get the king's ransom that St. Louis got last year for the 2nd overall but you'll still get enough to fill that hole at ILB and get a 2nd rounder that you can use for a QB to develop.
PLAN B: Draft Star if his medical checks out.
PLAN C: Draft an OT.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:19 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

No holes? Make no mistake about it, Alex Smith and Chase Daniel are not franchise QBs, so our #1 need will continue to be QB.

Alex Smith is a stop gap game manager who we can't rely on to take us anywhere. The pick should be Geno, but it won't be.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:08 PM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Quote:
LOL. I didn't say they wouldn't sign Alex Smith, I just said they shouldn't. We (Chiefs fans on this forum) have had this argument before. For me, Alex Smith is a player with a high floor and a low ceiling. If your goal is selling tickets, filling the stadium, going to the playoffs and winning one...maybe one...playoff game, then Alex Smith is your man. If you goal is going to the Super Bowl, Alex Smith is NOT your man. Harbaugh figured that out. Maybe I'm wrong, I hope I'm wrong.

Here's what I think the Chiefs will (or should) do:
PLAN A: Trade back. You won't get the king's ransom that St. Louis got last year for the 2nd overall but you'll still get enough to fill that hole at ILB and get a 2nd rounder that you can use for a QB to develop.
PLAN B: Draft Star if his medical checks out.
PLAN C: Draft an OT.
Well, one playoff victory is a start. That hasn't been done at arrowhead for awhile. I think it'd be funny if Reid and Co drafted Geno number one overall, I mean, that is our only real "glaring" need isn't it? I personally like Star of all the prospects. But we did just draft a guy named Poe.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:36 PM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
Well, one playoff victory is a start. That hasn't been done at arrowhead for awhile. I think it'd be funny if Reid and Co drafted Geno number one overall, I mean, that is our only real "glaring" need isn't it? I personally like Star of all the prospects. But we did just draft a guy named Poe.
I can't see them drafting Geno now. Drafting a QB 1st overall would a guaranteed QB controversy. Maybe they really don't like the kid. I suspect the best we can hope for is a project in the 2nd round if they can trade down.

I think Star can play the 5 tech DE so that wouldn't take Poe off the field and as I recall we have a couple of linemen who are unrestricted FAs.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:33 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I can't see them drafting Geno now. Drafting a QB 1st overall would a guaranteed QB controversy. Maybe they really don't like the kid. I suspect the best we can hope for is a project in the 2nd round if they can trade down.

I think Star can play the 5 tech DE so that wouldn't take Poe off the field and as I recall we have a couple of linemen who are unrestricted FAs.
I can see them drafting Geno. Alex Smith is no longer a young player, though he is younger than, say, Weeden. He is a known quantity, rather than a player with potential. If the idea is to cover the next two to three years, the price is reasonable. Geno Smith needs what Alex Smith never received - bench time.

That said, Geno Smith is generating enough interest that trading the #1 pick is beginning to look possible.

J

Ad Super Bowl per Aspera
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:07 AM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Quote:

I thought Poe can play the 5 tech as well. Somewhere I thought I read Star was more a nose tackle prospect(That would be pretty sweet though with STar and Poe at the DE spots...nevermind we wouldn't have a nose tackle after drafting 17 lineman). I thought the NFL comparison for Poe was Ngata. But which prospect is considered a project? I've heard a lot of up and down things about E.J. Manuel. Also, these mocks I've seen Tyler Wilson go in the third flipping round. I'd take him in a heart beat in the third... I think they look for a thumper in the third. Althought Reid has never really valued ILB's very high.