Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 03-18-2013, 08:36 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel the decision to draft an offensive tackle first overall and move on from Albert (now obviously this isn't a certainty), comes down to money as much as anything. If Albert signs a long term deal, he'll likely command in the neighborhood of $10 million a year and is a player who is at his ceiling and will gradually decline towards the back end or if injuries become an issue. Selecting a younger, cheaper player gives them a player worthy of the selection and will be someone they'd project as having the potential to be a top talent as the position. It would also leave them with around 5 million dollars more in cap room.

The same argument could have been made with Geno Smith as the first overall pick, but the team must feel that Geno is less of a "certainty".

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:48 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They better hope that Joeckel turns out to be another Joe Thomas, because trading away a proven player and releasing another created two holes unnecessarily on a team without a ton of holes.

You trade a lot to bring Alex Smith in, and then you get rid of both of his tackles? That is the epitome of stupid decision making, but that started with trading for Alex Smith in the first place.

This franchise is doomed to mediocrity.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:56 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I feel the decision to draft an offensive tackle first overall and move on from Albert (now obviously this isn't a certainty), comes down to money as much as anything. If Albert signs a long term deal, he'll likely command in the neighborhood of $10 million a year and is a player who is at his ceiling and will gradually decline towards the back end or if injuries become an issue. Selecting a younger, cheaper player gives them a player worthy of the selection and will be someone they'd project as having the potential to be a top talent as the position. It would also leave them with around 5 million dollars more in cap room.

The same argument could have been made with Geno Smith as the first overall pick, but the team must feel that Geno is less of a "certainty".
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest

Quote:
I have some updated NFL salary cap numbers for each AFC West team. Remember, the salary cap is always fluid, so this is more of a guide of where each team stands as free agency moves to the second phase.

Kansas City Chiefs

Cap room: $5.48 million

Comment: This does not include the deal for lineman Geoff Schwartz. The Chiefs can find some more room, but they’ve done a lot of heavy lifting so far.
Not alot of room.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:52 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
That's with Albert taking a huge cap hit this year. If he was signed to a long term deal he wouldn't be taking up 10 million dollars. I also wouldn't have gave Dunta Robinson any money but that's not the point, bringing up cap space this year doesn't matter. It's the long term cap effect, which wouldn't have been out of control for a 4 year deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:54 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's like Andy Reid kept his brain in Philly. Wtf is he doing?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:36 PM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Denver gonna kill everybody in this division..
CollegeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:38 PM    (permalink
batsandgats
Rookie

batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.batsandgats is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
It's like Andy Reid kept his brain in Philly. Wtf is he doing?
maybe a milder version of what Ditka did when going to the Saints
batsandgats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:18 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeFan View Post
Denver gonna kill everybody in this division..
As opposed to what? Haha. There were already scoring something ridiculous like 35ppg. Adding Welker is only going to make them better. No one else has anything even resembling a shot.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:21 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

A guy on twitter tweeted this at me, and it makes me even more depressed. If the trade of Albert to the Phins for #42 is true, this is what it would look like.

(A) Joeckel (1), Alex Smith, and #42
or
(B) Geno (1), Branden Albert, and #34.

I know which one I'd take. 10 times out of 10. Ugh.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:20 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
A guy on twitter tweeted this at me, and it makes me even more depressed. If the trade of Albert to the Phins for #42 is true, this is what it would look like.

or

We'll have to see how you feel after Smith becomes a very average NFL QB and Alex gives you 10 wins. No guarantees though.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:23 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
We'll have to see how you feel after Smith becomes a very average NFL QB and Alex gives you 10 wins. No guarantees though.
Average? How about if Geno is a flat out bust and out of the league or looking for backup jobs in a few years? Think that's definitely in his range as well. Joeckel is way more of a sure thing
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:41 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

It's amazing that OTs can't bust. Why aren't they picked 1-10 every year?

Old 03-19-2013, 01:42 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
Average? How about if Geno is a flat out bust and out of the league or looking for backup jobs in a few years? Think that's definitely in his range as well. Joeckel is way more of a sure thing
IMO, Smith has a high bust factor but like I said there are no guarantees. Smith has a pro arm, that's something you cannot teach, I think he's mentally tough because when I watch him on film, I don't see real panic, IMO, he just lacks that clock in his brain that tells him he has to make a quick decision, is it correctable, I just don't know, so I cannot guarantee he will bust, he might surprise me, Dalton did, Kaepernick did and Wilson did, so the door is always open until they take the field and make something happen.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:43 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I guess we'll have to see what happens in the future.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:01 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's amazing that OTs can't bust. Why aren't they picked 1-10 every year?
I also don't know why people seem to think that OL can't bust.

Packer fans will never forget.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Like Robert Gallery?
Black Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:39 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ok, good idea...let's make this thread just a back and forth of tackles who busted and then the reply can be a quarterback who busted

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:40 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
IMO, Smith has a high bust factor but like I said there are no guarantees. Smith has a pro arm, that's something you cannot teach, I think he's mentally tough because when I watch him on film, I don't see real panic, IMO, he just lacks that clock in his brain that tells him he has to make a quick decision, is it correctable, I just don't know, so I cannot guarantee he will bust, he might surprise me, Dalton did, Kaepernick did and Wilson did, so the door is always open until they take the field and make something happen.
So, what makes him have a "high bust factor?" And high compared to who? Where was Joey Harrington's bust factor? How about David (Crazy Legs) Carr? How come you can see bust so clearly with Geno Smith?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
How about if Joekel turns out to be the white version of Jason Smith?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bolt View Post
How about if Joekel turns out to be the white version of Jason Smith?
Impossible. OTs don't bust. They're the safest position in the draft

Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 AM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-NFLDC

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

or

Jokes on you vidae

(Sorry buddy, couldn't resist)

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I agree what the Chiefs are potentially doing is dumb but generally QB's bust 50% of the time while OT's bust around 30% of the time.

I'd post a link but I think it might be a conflicting draft site but it was very easy to google.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lol I like how people took what I said to mean that joeckel can't bust. Go back and read it again, I said he's way more of a sure thing. As in there's a 40% chance Geno flops, and a 15% chance joeckel is a bust. That would constitute as 'way more' while still accounting for the rare chance that joeckel is a bust. Thanks and please play again.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:00 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they are the safest pick (as far as top 10 picks go, I know 1st round guards/centers and safeties have a good track record but they're typically 2nd half of the 1st). Definitely safer than QBs or pass rushers.

However, all OTs aren't equal and Joeckel is much more of a finished product than Jason Smith was. Much like Geno Smith isn't even close to where Luck and RG3 were last year.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:03 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I remember when Aaron Curry was a sure thing and Matt Stafford had questions. We all know that obviously the best way to go at the top is pick the safest player with no questions about him at all. That always works 100% of the time. You're only allowed to draft a QB when he has absolutely no question marks at all about him, if he has anything that might make him a bust you should just take the safe player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote