Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-18-2013, 09:04 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2013 salary:

Dahl: $1.13 million
Stufka: $1.35 million

Not bad. ST looks like it was a major priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:18 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^^^ I think that you mean Skuta. :P

With Haralson taking a paycut, it seems like we're definitely trying to have the cap room to sign Asomugha and/or Woodson. I think that we'll only sign one of the two, my guess being Woodson since he's needed more. However, I wish Baalke would go after Ed Reed. I know that he would be more expensive than Woodson but in the playoffs, his ability to get interceptions is a huge positive in itself and something that we could definitely use.

Side note for the Draft - Compensation picks were announced earlier -

We're getting three overall compensation draft picks -

One fourth rounder (#131 overall) and two seventh rounders (#246 overall and #252 overall).

Hopefully, that fourth round compensation draft pick will be used on a rookie kicker. :)
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:49 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
^^^ I think that you mean Skuta. :P

With Haralson taking a paycut, it seems like we're definitely trying to have the cap room to sign Asomugha and/or Woodson. I think that we'll only sign one of the two, my guess being Woodson since he's needed more. However, I wish Baalke would go after Ed Reed. I know that he would be more expensive than Woodson but in the playoffs, his ability to get interceptions is a huge positive in itself and something that we could definitely use.

Side note for the Draft - Compensation picks were announced earlier -

We're getting three overall compensation draft picks -

One fourth rounder (#131 overall) and two seventh rounders (#246 overall and #252 overall).

Hopefully, that fourth round compensation draft pick will be used on a rookie kicker. :)
7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds is nice. Perhaps: 2 DB's, 1 DL, 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, and 1 luxury pick (OLB or Lattimore!)

Here are our picks listed:

1) #31- Round 1
2) #34- Round 2 (Thanks Alex)
3) #61- Round 2
4) #74- Round 3 (From Panthers)
5) #93- Round 3
6) #128- Round 4
7) #131- Round 4 (Comp)
8) #157- Round 5 (From Colts)
9) #164- Round 5
10) #180- Round 6 (From Dolphins)
11) #227- Round 7 (Thanks Taylor Mays)
12) #237- Round 7
13) #246- Round 7 (Comp)
14) #252- Round 7 (Comp)

Quote:

Last edited by Shupp : 03-19-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:01 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
2013 salary:

Dahl: $1.13 million
Stufka: $1.35 million

Not bad. ST looks like it was a major priority.
Total contracts are

Skuta: 2 years, 3 million, $300,000 signing bonus
Dorsey: 2 years, 6 million, $2.2825 million siging bonus
Dahl: 3 years, 5.25 million $700,000 signing bonus
Boldin: 1 year, 6 million AFAIK no guaranteed money

Total value: 20.25M, about $3.3 million guaranteed.

Plus Manningham (2M) and Haralson (1.57M) combined for straight and simple paycuts of about 3.57M this year. And Ian Williams re-signed for 3 years, 3.6 million, with a $1 million signing bonus. Outside of these guys i think we've been linked to Aso, Woodson, Abraham, and Cribbs still. Doubtful we sign anyone else in FA or even re-sign any of our own guys.

Nothing fancy or special outside of Boldin but the real signings will occur in a year or 2 when we eventually re-sign Kaep and Aldon, as well as Crabs, A. Davis, and Iupati.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 03-19-2013 at 01:04 AM.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:15 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Total contracts are

Skuta: 2 years, 3 million, $300,000 signing bonus
Dorsey: 2 years, 6 million, $2.2825 million siging bonus
Dahl: 3 years, 5.25 million $700,000 signing bonus
Boldin: 1 year, 6 million AFAIK no guaranteed money

Total value: 20.25M, about $3.3 million guaranteed.

Plus Manningham (2M) and Haralson (1.57M) combined for straight and simple paycuts of about 3.57M this year. And Ian Williams re-signed for 3 years, 3.6 million, with a $1 million signing bonus. Outside of these guys i think we've been linked to Aso, Woodson, Abraham, and Cribbs still. Doubtful we sign anyone else in FA or even re-sign any of our own guys.

Nothing fancy or special outside of Boldin but the real signings will occur in a year or 2 when we eventually re-sign Kaep and Aldon, as well as Crabs, A. Davis, and Iupati.

With 7.4 million in cap space and 14 draft picks the math gets tough to sign another FA. Even if we only sign 8 rookies we will be pretty close to the cap (assuming that 3 of these 8 were drafted in the 1st two rounds). Of course there are a lot of things that can be done to squeeze a little more cap room but it appears that a Nnamdi signing would mean a release of one of our players, possibly the same goes for Woodson.

All in all I'm pretty happy with our cap situation. Draft weekend is gonna be crazy. I can't wait, even listing all of our picks out got me pumped. We are lucky fans.

Quote:
Old 03-19-2013, 01:25 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At the very least, im expecting Baalke to sign a veteran FS as a one year stopgap. With 14 draft picks, im expecting that to be lowered to between 8-10 because there's no way that 14 draft picks make our final 53 and while you can put late rounders on the practice squad, I honestly dont like that idea too much because other teams can sign them off our practice squad onto their active roster which means we're basically drafting for other teams.

I think that the team will definitely try to acquire a few extra draft picks for 2014 including a possible first rounder if a team in the mid second round wants to move up to the 34th overall draft pick.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:32 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
At the very least, im expecting Baalke to sign a veteran FS as a one year stopgap. With 14 draft picks, im expecting that to be lowered to between 8-10 because there's no way that 14 draft picks make our final 53 and while you can put late rounders on the practice squad, I honestly dont like that idea too much because other teams can sign them off our practice squad onto their active roster which means we're basically drafting for other teams.

I think that the team will definitely try to acquire a few extra draft picks for 2014 including a possible first rounder if a team in the mid second round wants to move up to the 34th overall draft pick.
He did his name is Craig Dahl.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:34 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Baalke has proven to be pretty difficult to predict and a bit crazy on draft weekend. I did my best to think outside-the-box (likely failed miserably) and put together a 5-round, surprise-Baalke-style draft.

Please give me your constructive thoughts as I will try to purpose a finalized draft in the upcoming month...

1(31) Datone Jones – DE - UCLA
2(34) Jamie Collins – OLB – Southern Mississippi
2(61) Sio Moore - ILB - Connecticut
3(74) Bacarri Rambo – FS - Georgia
3(93) Da’Rick Rogers – WR – Tennessee Tech
4(128) Terry Hawthorne – CB - Illinois
4(131) Jordan Mills – OT – Louisiana Tech
5(157) Chris Harper – WR/HB/TE – Kansas State
5(164) Duke Williams – SS - Nevada
Old 03-19-2013, 01:38 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Baalke has proven to be pretty difficult to predict and a bit crazy on draft weekend. I did my best to think outside-the-box (likely failed miserably) and put together a 5-round, surprise-Baalke-style draft.

Please give me your constructive thoughts as I will try to purpose a finalized draft in the upcoming month...

Taking 2 LB's in the 1st two rounds is definitely outside the box. I can see the Collins pick as a surprise to maybe take over for Brooks down the line but I think the Sio Moore pick would really piss me off. We have too many other needs, we can't draft a position of strength early and often.

Quote:
Old 03-19-2013, 01:43 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
Taking 2 LB's in the 1st two rounds is definitely outside the box. I can see the Collins pick as a surprise to maybe take over for Brooks down the line but I think the Sio Moore pick would really piss me off. We have too many other needs, we can't draft a position of strength early and often.
I completely understand your point of view, and won't disagree with it. I just believe that Baalke picks guys with huge upsides regardless of who might be in front of them on the depth chart. I also don't know how much Baalke considers "need" when evaluating his board. The Moore pick is easily the most bizarre of the selections but what intrigues me is that noone saw the Bowman pick coming. The 49ers have been quite lucky to have Willis and Bowman miss very little time in 2 seasons. Unfortunately, if either of them were to miss significant time, the drop-off is scary. Moore would give security to the position, versatility in scheme, and immediate size and athleticism to STs. With so many picks, luxury becomes a possibility.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:58 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Our UFA's in a year from now -

QB Scott Tolzien
FB Anthony Dixon
WR Chad Hall
WR Anquan Boldin
WR Mario Manningham
WR Kyle Williams
WR Joe Hastings
C Jonathan Goodwin
DE Justin Smith
DE Demarcus Dobbs
DE Will Tukuafu
OLB Parys Haralson
OLB Michael Wilhoite
OLB Cam Johnson
CB Tramaine Brock
CB Tarell Brown
CB Perrish Cox
SS Donte Whitner

That's 18 UFA's. Dont know about anyone else but im hoping we keep Tolzien, Dixon, Williams, Brock and Cox. Justin Smith is a wildcard as it all depends on how much he'll want to stay and how he rebounds from his injury.

Looking at our UFA's in 2014 and 2015, I understand why Baalke is pretty much letting all our UFA's this year leave which is why I would have franchised Goldson. Keep the entire team intact for one more season and try to win the SB instead of just getting there.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:01 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
He did his name is Craig Dahl.
Hmmm.....GOD, I hope not. Dahl was basically signed to replace Goldson on ST. If he's our starting FS on opening day, the secondary just became worse than what it already was. UGH.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:04 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:

Dont see us drafting an ILB that early. No point. Barring injury, that guy will just be on ST. Think CB should be HIGHER. And instead of WR, a Center. Also, a kicker should be in there around the 4th round. No more veterans. Time to draft a kicker who can hopefully be good enough to be here long term.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:25 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I completely understand your point of view, and won't disagree with it. I just believe that Baalke picks guys with huge upsides regardless of who might be in front of them on the depth chart. I also don't know how much Baalke considers "need" when evaluating his board. The Moore pick is easily the most bizarre of the selections but what intrigues me is that noone saw the Bowman pick coming. The 49ers have been quite lucky to have Willis and Bowman miss very little time in 2 seasons. Unfortunately, if either of them were to miss significant time, the drop-off is scary. Moore would give security to the position, versatility in scheme, and immediate size and athleticism to STs. With so many picks, luxury becomes a possibility.
I wouldn't necessarily say no one saw the Bowman pick coming. A lot of fans had been clamoring for a couple of years that we needed to draft a ILB instead of keep rolling out FA re-tred pick-ups who never pan out(Dontarious Thomas). They had moved Brooks to OLB and Spikes was one the downside of his career. I don't think anyone would say there wasn't a need there.

Signing Skuta makes me think that scenario is highley unlikely. Skuta actually can provide depth, along with his special teams prowless. He's basically taking Larry Grant's role moving forward, who surprisingly, is still is a UFA. And I think they could look to bring either Grant or Gooden back. Grant did well when he backed up Willis in 2011. There was never a issue of depth in that area as far as I'm concern. They also have young guys in Wilhoite and Stupar so that position isn't in influx, as other areas.

All the other picks I would be extremely happy with, especially Collins and Jones both whom I really like.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-19-2013 at 02:43 AM.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
I noticed you had Baalke not drafting a DT for a 4th consecutive year....what's your take on that?
I don't think Baalke wants a huge, plugging, 2-gapper at NT. He used RJF as Ice's backup without ever adding another big body.

He extended Ian Williams and signed Glenn Dorsey. With the lack of snaps the NT gets, I'd expect more DE/DT-types to be added to the roster than DT/NT-types.

But like I said, Baalke is surprising. I could be way off and he takes both John Jenkins and Brandon Williams.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:47 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think Baalke wants a huge, plugging, 2-gapper at NT. He used RJF as Ice's backup without ever adding another big body.

He extended Ian Williams and signed Glenn Dorsey. With the lack of snaps the NT gets, I'd expect more DE/DT-types to be added to the roster than DT/NT-types.

But like I said, Baalke is surprising. I could be way off and he takes both John Jenkins and Brandon Williams.
Actually you do have us taking Jones so that is a DT. I mixed up prospects. I saw Jones but was thinking Moore from Texas A&M....I keep getting their names confused. Disregard that.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:47 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

And I totally gets the peculiarity and almost nonsensical feeling about the Moore pick.

I just have a feeling that Baalke will throw a HUGE curveball at us, as usual... and that was my curveball, along with waiting to address a Boom-style CB, and converting a big-body WR to the Walker role.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:50 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Dont see us drafting an ILB that early. No point. Barring injury, that guy will just be on ST. Think CB should be HIGHER. And instead of WR, a Center. Also, a kicker should be in there around the 4th round. No more veterans. Time to draft a kicker who can hopefully be good enough to be here long term.
I agree that a center will be added as well as a kicker. I don't see the value before round 5. I rolled the dice on leaving them out of this mock.

As for CB... higher seems the consensus, which is why I waited.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:54 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

And if you dislike the Moore pick, which I completely understand... exchange 2(61) for a 1st rounder in 2014. I could see Baalke pulling that off.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:55 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

The thing is, I really like Moore too....and his teammate, Trevardo Moore. I think he could possibly play all four LB positions in the 3-4, so I don't see him as just a ILB. Though he's on the short size, I think has long arms(need to check to make sure) for his height and he has natural pass-rush ability. I'm just not sure if he would be a priority there. Baalke to me seems to use the first 3 rounds to fill needs or holes in the roster. Then uses the fourth and beyond to grab the best talent on his board, regardless of position. If we take Collins, I'm not sure if Moore is the very next pick because we've addressed that position. Has nothing to do with what I think of Moore as a player.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-20-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:02 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
And I totally gets the peculiarity and almost nonsensical feeling about the Moore pick.

I just have a feeling that Baalke will throw a HUGE curveball at us, as usual... and that was my curveball, along with waiting to address a Boom-style CB, and converting a big-body WR to the Walker role.
Honestly, I'm hoping the huge curveball is Barrett Jones at 31 :)
Old 03-19-2013, 03:08 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
I agree that a center will be added as well as a kicker. I don't see the value before round 5. I rolled the dice on leaving them out of this mock.

As for CB... higher seems the consensus, which is why I waited.
When you say that you dont see the value before round five, im going to assume that you mean kicker but with us having a 4th round compensation draft pick that cant be traded, I would prefer to just draft a rookie kicker then instead of waiting. I feel that if you want a certain player, better to take him early than risk not getting him at all. That includes trading up, not that I would trade up for a kicker but you get my point.

As for CB, true but its definitely needed higher. If Brown is allowed to leave as an UFA next off-season and we dont re-sign Cox plus release Rogers, we'll only have Culliver with one year left on his contract. Not good. I'm hoping the team extends Cox this off-season and get under contract long term as well as Brock. I would draft a CB early (first three rounds) and draft Mathieu late 4th if he's still there just because his ability to force turnovers is something our defense lacked last season and I think that for a low 4th rounder, he's worth the risk and gamble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Honestly, I'm hoping the huge curveball is Barrett Jones at 31 :)
Honestly, I wouldnt object to that at all. Could start Jones, release Goodwin and keep Kilgore as the backup. :)

Last edited by dan77733 : 03-19-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
When you say that you dont see the value before round five, im going to assume that you mean kicker but with us having a 4th round compensation draft pick that cant be traded, I would prefer to just draft a rookie kicker then instead of waiting. I feel that if you want a certain player, better to take him early than risk not getting him at all. That includes trading up, not that I would trade up for a kicker but you get my point.
I do not feel any of the kickers in the draft are worth higher than a late 5th. I don't, honestly care how much we need a kicker. They don't have draft value unless they are an elite leg, and that guy isn't in this draft. Hopkins isn't even a consensus number 1 kicker.

Quote:
As for CB, true but its definitely needed higher.
Not if you trust your board and believe the CB you draft in the 3rd/4th round is better than most of the CBs going in the late 1st-late 2nd.

This was a Culliver curveball. I think Hawthorne is being slept on and has huge athletic upside and fits the size role that Baalke seems to prefer.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:41 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac;3306900[B
]I do not feel any of the kickers in the draft are worth higher than a late 5th. I don't, honestly care how much we need a kicker. They don't have draft value unless they are an elite leg, and that guy isn't in this draft. Hopkins isn't even a consensus number 1 kicker.
[/b]

Not if you trust your board and believe the CB you draft in the 3rd/4th round is better than most of the CBs going in the late 1st-late 2nd.

This was a Culliver curveball. I think Hawthorne is being slept on and has huge athletic upside and fits the size role that Baalke seems to prefer.
Then where do we get a kicker then? We need one badly. I would draft a young guy who can prove him self and be a good starter doesn't need a strong leg just be able to kick 40-45 yard FG's to me Sturgis and Hopkins can do both . So why not get them in 5th or 6th round. I'm sure no one will draft them. But we need some one who isn't going to get injured or die out at the end of the season. It's a big need!!
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:10 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
I do not feel any of the kickers in the draft are worth higher than a late 5th. I don't, honestly care how much we need a kicker. They don't have draft value unless they are an elite leg, and that guy isn't in this draft. Hopkins isn't even a consensus number 1 kicker.

I understand your point of view but at the same time, unless we trade away some draft picks, there's no way that 14 rookies will make the final 53 and with so many draft picks, I prefer to just get the kicker instead of gambling on another veteran. Rookie kicker would be younger, cheaper and under contract for four seasons. With not being able to trade compensation draft picks, I just feel that because of that, better to draft a guy at a position of need is worth it as opposed to not getting him at all. I dont want a veteran kicker yet again and then see Cundiff brought in yet again to compete with him. Draft a damn kicker with the 4th round comp pick and done. And granted, there's no guarantee with the rookie but I would rather take my chances with a rookie over a veteran.

I understand your point yet again but im hoping that we draft two cornerbacks. Mathieu and another CB earlier who can hopefully start opposite Culliver in 2014 while letting Rogers and Brown leave. Personally, I would love to trade up for Milliner but I dont see him falling out of the top ten so no point.

Position wise, in the first four rounds, I would have my mock like this in no particular order as it depends on who's there and not and if I want to trade up or down, etc. The positions are C, pass rushing OLB, 3-4 DE, TE, FS, CB (two), K and SS. Granted, thats two more than what we have available in the first four rounds but you get the idea.

Just have to wait and see what happens.