Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:25 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
Certainly not putting him in any category like that. I haven't seen anything from him to make me think he can be a consistent threat to rush the passer.

Still hoping we somehow magically get Jones even though that seems impossible at this point.
jones, mingo, ansah and jordan are all very different types of pass rushers itll really depend on what the teams deem the most beneficial

having said that i agree that it would take some magic to get him

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:32 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

who would you wanna take if youre sitting at 17 with these guys already taken?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-d...t-smith/165603

and no trade backs!

Old 03-19-2013, 01:36 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
read that we will likely resign hampton and starks

awesome

***** kill me
starks played very well last year, hes gotten better with age. Hamton needs to go in the worst way
Quote:
jones, mingo, ansah and jordan are all very different types of pass rushers itll really depend on what the teams deem the most beneficial

having said that i agree that it would take some magic to get him
they could all have a major role though....jones, mingo, and jordan are guys to build around, not one of them can be plugged into harrisons spot and be expected to play like harrison
Quote:
who would you wanna take if youre sitting at 17 with these guys already taken?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-d...t-smith/165603

and no trade backs!
i like vaccaro but id be inclined to say hopkins or maybe even justin hunter.

We could grab Amerson, or Shamarko Thomas in the second for a safety at better value for a talent not that far below vaccaro. might need to reach for a WR though, theres gonna be a run on them.

Final answer, Justin hunter...i dont want the patriots, ravens, or browns getting him
Old 03-19-2013, 01:57 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

i wouldnt hate hunter...

i would take brown.

both guys, i think, would make a difference this year
Old 03-19-2013, 01:58 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
they could all have a major role though....jones, mingo, and jordan are guys to build around, not one of them can be plugged into harrisons spot and be expected to play like harrison

mainly because none of them set the edge as well as harrison did / can do still

i think they could potentially get better/similar pressure on the qb's though

Old 03-19-2013, 01:59 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i wouldnt hate hunter...

i would take brown.

both guys, i think, would make a difference this year
brown? (10 char)
Old 03-19-2013, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Starks is a good signing if it happens very cheap. He's as good as anyone else we have.

Hampton I don't want back. Mainly because they'll let him start again which is infuriating.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:08 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
brown? (10 char)
arthur - ive been watching some highlights from k-state.. dude just moves so well

Old 03-19-2013, 02:09 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Starks is a good signing if it happens very cheap. He's as good as anyone else we have.

Hampton I don't want back. Mainly because they'll let him start again which is infuriating.
ugh yeah i guess i can not hate the starks move..

its just funny how he keeps getting let go - no team wants him - and he winds up with us sometime in camp and jumps right in at the most important line position

Old 03-19-2013, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Burden
Rookie

Burden is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burden is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burden is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burden is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burden is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burden is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burden is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burden is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burden is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burden is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burden is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

SteelersDepot has an article saying the exact opposite about Starks and Hampton. Although I think Starks will come back some time after the draft like he does every year.

walterfootball is doing their live draft right now. Steelers got Jones, Minter, and Terrrance Williams with their first 3 picks. I would be okay with this if it happened for real in April.
Burden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:48 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

Quote:
arthur - ive been watching some highlights from k-state.. dude just moves so well
i mean hes really good, not sure id want to invest in him running a 34 though. Not that i dont think he could play in one, but using pick 17 on a MLB when we already used (15?) on timmons and hes a stud. Im all for taking a MLB in the 2nd or 3rd, but in the first we need a WR or an OLB. Pass rusher is a much bigger need than MLB.

Hes a guy i wouldnt hate, but id have some trouble seeing some other guys still on the board
Old 03-19-2013, 06:50 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burden View Post
SteelersDepot has an article saying the exact opposite about Starks and Hampton. Although I think Starks will come back some time after the draft like he does every year.

walterfootball is doing their live draft right now. Steelers got Jones, Minter, and Terrrance Williams with their first 3 picks. I would be okay with this if it happened for real in April.
hampton needs to go. Mccendon, Woods, Hood, Fangupu, and Taamu....we have a starting NT in there somewhere. Hampton had a late career surge and was heroic doing it but hes done...he just has no explosion off the snap, something that made him a special 34 NT back in his prime
Old 03-19-2013, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

This is supposedly the reason why the FO won't bring him back, because the coaches will use him a lot. Kind of weird to see the coaches and FO not necessarily working together, but it happens.

The stories about Tomlin wanting Jason Worilds over the FO's preferred Sean Lee, to the FO preferring DeCastro over Hightower who Keith Butler really wanted. Butler supposedly slammed a table when we didn't draft him, haha.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Tears of joy kind of happy:

Jarvis Jones
Cordarelle Patterson

It was previously just Jones who i think is a perfect fit, but Patterson has skyrocketed up my board (had him #1 for WRs for a while, but hes surpassing more and more players)

Previous players to make me feel this way: David Decastro, Michael Oher, Julio Jones, Vernon Gholston, Gaines Adams, Eric Berry, Suh, Calvin Johnson.

Thrilled:

Star Loutouei
Chance Warmack
Jonathan Cooper
Keenan Allen
Barkevious Mingo
Dion Jordan
Xavier Rhodes

All of these guys are game changing difference makers, even the guards....both are top notch prospects and will be the final piece to making a terrific oline.

Happy:

Justin Hunter
DeAndre Hopkins
Damontre Moore
Tyler Eifert
Bjoern Werner
Eziekiel Ansah
Desmond Trufant

Most of these guys might be slight reaches but are on the cusp of being valued at 17 and if a reach is necessary to get their guy, then so be it.

Annoyed, but can live with it:

Eddie Lacy
ANY Defensive tackle...Hankins, Jenkins, J. Williams, Richardson, S. Williams
Kenny Vaccaro
Manti Teo
Arthur Brown

Absolutely Furious:

Jonathan Cyprien
Alec Ogletree
Kevin Minter
Tavon Austin
Datone Jones
My list:

Very Happy:
OG Chance Warmack, Alabama
OG Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina
OLB Jarvis Jones, Georgia
DT/DE Star Lotulelei, Utah
CB Dee Milliner, Alabama

I think all these guys are and will be studs at their respective positions. Warmack is an absolute mauler, and if we're sticking with Foster at LG then I don't see why we couldn't have Warmack, who is basically a far more talented version of Foster. Cooper would be different, like having Pouncey at guard. Very athletic, and great at moving, but not powerful like Warmack. If we're truly moving to a zone scheme (which I have my doubts, based on the fact that Gilbert, Foster, and Adams aren't particularly good zone scheme fits) then Cooper is better, otherwise Warmack would be great too. Either way, both would make me very happy, and would give us the chance to have the best interior O-line in the league in a couple years, assuming they all stay.

Jarvis Jones seems tailor-made for us this year. Fits an area of need, and is an absolute sack-machine. Lotulelei I think could be special as a 3-4 DE, great player and offers the versatility to kick inside on passing downs. Both of these guys, however, have injury and medical concerns, so I guess we'll have to see how much other teams care about this. Otherwise they probably won't be available at 17.

Milliner is a great CB too, probably going top 5, doubt he's not a top 10 pick.

Happy:
OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama
LB Arthur Brown, Kent State
LB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame
WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee
WR Keenan Allen, Cal
WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia
DE/OLB Ezekiel Ansah, BYU
CB Xavier Rhodes, FSU
S Kenny Vaccaro

Yeah, we don't need an OT, but I really, really like Fluker. Big ass man, very powerful, the thought of him kicking inside to guard and working out is very alluring to me. Not a fit for zone though. Brown is very athletic, silky smooth for an ILB. Sort of reminds me of Timmons, who had to bulk up a bit but is very good for us now. If we were willing to develop Spence (probably the smallest ILB we've had since I started following the team haha), then I don't think Arthur Brown's "small" size is an issue. Te'o I still like, despite his whole fiasco. I think he could be a more talented version of Foote for us, great run-stuffer but not necessarily a great coverage guy. I like the three receivers, but Austin is different from the other two. I see him as a big-play or bust kind of guy, which is risky yeah, but still, I like it. Ansah is raw, but the appeal of him working out is very intriguing. Could give us one of the big 3-4 pass-rushers in the mold of Aldon Smith and co. Rhodes is big, physical, and surprisingly ran better than I thought he would. Great replacement for Taylor, IMO, and if we do keep Cortez long-term we could have a very nice starting duo for a while.

Meh
RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama
WR Justin Hunter, Tennessee
WR DeAndre Hopkins
TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame
DE/OLB Barkevious Mingo, LSU
DE/OLB Dion Jordan, Oregon
Any defensive lineman (3-4 defensive lineman)

Lacy, Hunter, Hopkins, I don't really have a problem with them as players per se, but I think they'd be reaches, and could probably be had later on, but we'll see, close to the draft some of these guys just skyrocket.

Eifert I like, but I think we have way too many more important needs to take a TE in the first.

Mingo and Jordan just don't convince me, I don't know why. Jordan is a freak athlete but I don't see a good pass-rusher, just a good athlete. He's great in coverage for a guy his size, but I don't want an OLB that is a good coverage guy, I want a sack demon. Mingo, I dunno, sometimes I love the way he plays, other times I hate him.

As for any of the defensive lineman, I don't think any are true game-changers, and we already invested two picks in 3-4 defensive linemen, don't think we need another one unless it's Lotulelei.

Undecided
Anyone else, really, if I hate the pick it probably has more to do with perceived value and whatnot, not necessarily because of the talent of the player.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 03-20-2013, 09:23 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

the thing about eifert - if some of the top wr's are gone - is that in today's nfl he is just as important as a wr in terms of the passing game

if there isnt a stud wr there - take eifert - we can split him out wide and let a 6' corner try to defend him or put him in the slot and let a lb try to run with him

Old 03-20-2013, 09:29 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

I like Lotulelei in one, but id also love margus hunt in 2

A lot of fans would scoff, but Eifert is a jump ball expert and is really more of a WR than TE a lot of the time
Old 03-20-2013, 09:29 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
i mean hes really good, not sure id want to invest in him running a 34 though. Not that i dont think he could play in one, but using pick 17 on a MLB when we already used (15?) on timmons and hes a stud. Im all for taking a MLB in the 2nd or 3rd, but in the first we need a WR or an OLB. Pass rusher is a much bigger need than MLB.

Hes a guy i wouldnt hate, but id have some trouble seeing some other guys still on the board
yeah i hear you and we def need a stud wr / playmaker... i just love brown's athleticism and think with him,timmons,woodley,worilds on the field they can bring some great pressure

any word on that ilb we drafted out of the u last year? sean spence was his name maybe?

Old 03-20-2013, 09:31 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

hopefully hes recovering well...he'll have a full year but it was gruesome.

I absolutely hate Worilds though, its like playing with 3 LBs instead of 4. Between him and hood its like playing 9 on 11
Old 03-20-2013, 09:35 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

from what i remember of worilds he always seemed to be like 1/2 second late on sacks / tfl's... didnt set the edge real well but wasn't terrible

i think he'll be okay... especially if woodley returns to form and can command a dbl team / shift or two

Old 03-20-2013, 04:10 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

apparently tomlin and colbert were in tennessee for their pro day

and apparently they took.... tyler bray out to dinner while there

either a weak attempt at a smokescreen on patterson (like hey we sent our top 2 to check out a mid round qb and not your top wr's)

or they took him out to ask him about the wr's... like is patterson really not smarter than that football you chuck?

or we are actually interested in him

kinda interesting nonetheless

Old 03-20-2013, 07:16 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

I really like bray a lot, if they could grab him in the 3rd it would be a steal. Hes definitely my favorite QB for the steelers to pick up as a backup with starter potential

Imagine if we got bray and patterson....or hunter, but patterson <3
Old 03-20-2013, 07:20 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
from what i remember of worilds he always seemed to be like 1/2 second late on sacks / tfl's... didnt set the edge real well but wasn't terrible

i think he'll be okay... especially if woodley returns to form and can command a dbl team / shift or two
He had the same problem in college.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:37 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

ive said that from day one, he always almost gets there but not quite. Its not even like in an "but hes a disruptor, sacks arent everything" way...he just flat out misses or gets knocked out of the play way to much

Having Worilds and Hood both starting is going to be like playing 9 on 11
Old 03-20-2013, 11:07 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Season highlights to help with the boring-ness of the off-season:

Gonna miss Wallace, but oh well.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:15 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd like to see Worilds and Carter fully healthy to make judgements on them. Carter had a great camp but got hurt early. Worilds showed flashes but still hasn't played much. This is a put up or shut up year for him. Tomlin loves him. I don't think we spend a high pick on a pass rusher unless one falls. I'd also like to see what Adrian Robinson can do on defense if he improves.