Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bengals only team against the RB rule.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:08 PM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreckart View Post
So with this new rule, would Ridley be penalized for what he did? He lowered his head at Pollard on that run.
No.

The rule only prohibits running backs from delivering hits with the crown of their helmet. They can still lower themselves into an opponent so long as they don't initiate contact with the top of their helmet.

The hit Earl Campbell puts on the defender in this video is an example of what is now illegal for ball carriers to do:

Old 03-20-2013, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yay for more subjective rule calling. And clearly I am against player safety for thinking so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:26 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Opens a whole new can of worms for us to ***** about every single week. Gotta love it.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:41 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The sport just isn't safe in general. There is no getting around that. If we want to create the safest possible environment, just make it flag football, take away the pads, idk. But at the end of the day the sport just isn't safe. If they really care that much about the players and the consequences the sport is having on them, just ban the sport or dramatically change how its played to the point where it resembles a game of flag football (and that isnt an insult or jab). These changes are to cover the leagues ass down the road when retired players come back looking for money for symptoms related to the nature of the game. Idk the whole thing is just such a bunch of bull ****, and I'm just tired of people acting like the fans who are sick of the rule changes have it in for player safety, when player safety isn't the primary motive for these changes. If that were the case, and they honestly cared about their employees, much more radical changes would be implemented.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:11 PM    (permalink
Wodwo
Rookie

Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
The sport just isn't safe in general. There is no getting around that. If we want to create the safest possible environment, just make it flag football, take away the pads, idk. But at the end of the day the sport just isn't safe. If they really care that much about the players and the consequences the sport is having on them, just ban the sport or dramatically change how its played to the point where it resembles a game of flag football (and that isnt an insult or jab). These changes are to cover the leagues ass down the road when retired players come back looking for money for symptoms related to the nature of the game. Idk the whole thing is just such a bunch of bull ****, and I'm just tired of people acting like the fans who are sick of the rule changes have it in for player safety, when player safety isn't the primary motive for these changes. If that were the case, and they honestly cared about their employees, much more radical changes would be implemented.
I have had multiple severe concussions. The kind that cause nausea/vomiting, only being able to speak gibberish, and numbness on the entire left side of the body. I fear that I may have severe problems in the future because of them.

However, I agree with every word you said.
Wodwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:15 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is a stupid ******* rule because the enforcement is going to be ridiculously hard to judge.

Also, how does this really help player safety, players aren't going to change how they approach the game, they're just gonna get flagged because some dumb ref thinks its a vicious attempt.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:36 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This definitely goes against natural instict of runners. Now in their head they will be wondering if they are lowering the shoulder too much and the helmet is showing.

Definitely going to lead to a lot of questionable calls IMO.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:40 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think this is a dumb rule but read the specifics.

Last I heard is that it cannot be done in the open field. So the RB can still lower his shoulder/ head at the line of scrimmage and in traffic but he cant just truck a defensive back in the open field. While it is a horrible rule its not nearly as bad as some of you are making out.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:46 PM    (permalink
I_C_DeadPeople
Rookie

I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does this rule not dramatically effect all short yardage running plays, and in particular short yardage goal line plays and QB sneaks? On most of these plays, the RB or QB just drives their head into the line (or line gap) and pumps their legs.
I_C_DeadPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everyone is freaking out without actually reading the rule.

Short yardage = inside the tackle box. This rule is ONLY APPLIED WHEN OUTSIDE THE TACKLE BOX.

Essentially it's forcing runners to use their shoulder on cornerbacks rather than spearing them with their helmet. Keep in mind this is RUNNERS not running backs. If you throw a WR screen the receiver cannot crown the cornerback to avoid the tackle.

Quote:
It will now be a 15-yard penalty if a player who is more than three yards downfield or outside of the tackle box delivers a blow with the crown of his helmet. If the offensive and defensive player each lowers his head and uses the crown of the helmet to make contact, each will be penalized.
Can we stop freaking out now?
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:25 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would this be a penalty with the new rule? The problem is that it's too hard to tell especially at game speed.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:32 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Would this be a penalty with the new rule? The problem is that it's too hard to tell especially at game speed.

Thats a tough one. With my untrained eye in slow mo I would say no but alas I don't make the decisions.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:37 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Now just like defense, we can expect a ton of useless flags in circumstances it shouldn't be one. Does anyone expect this to go smoothly and them to get this right in the split second of play? I can't wait until a huge 1st down run happens in the playoffs and the RB lowers his head to protect the ball but they call the entire play back for this.

They haven't figured out that football is just dangerous, bad things tend to happen sometimes. But these rules are more about protection for future lawsuits then they are actually making the game safer IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:39 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I didn't see this, but this sums up my point. This will, definately be a flag. Same reason any big hit in the secondary is a flag. The play they tried to fine Ed Reed on was ridiculous and he barely touched him. You'll see incorrect flags thrown on plays like this repeatedly, the same way anybody like Goldson or Chanceller hits somebody hard with their shoulder and get one. It's happening too fast, all they are going to see is his head lowered, and impact, and throw the flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:41 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
No.

The rule only prohibits running backs from delivering hits with the crown of their helmet. They can still lower themselves into an opponent so long as they don't initiate contact with the top of their helmet.

The hit Earl Campbell puts on the defender in this video is an example of what is now illegal for ball carriers to do:

I just came in here to say this should be called the Earl Campbell rule.

Savage.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:

Yeah i don't see how that is not a flag under this new rule. Even if it isn't, at game time speed thats getting flagged. At least based on my interpretations of the rule, guess we'll have to see how its enforced.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-20-2013, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think everyone is overreacting. That Bradshaw play is not illegal. He uses his shoulder pad to deliver the blow. Keep in mind this is the CROWN OF THE HELMET, not just lowering your head to protect yourself or truck somebody.

The Campbell video shows it very well. He lowers his head, almost at a completely horizontal plane, and delivers a blow to the defender.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This was ruled helmet to helmet.
I see no way this rule isn't terribly abused and over used by officials.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 03-20-2013, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I think everyone is overreacting. That Bradshaw play is not illegal. He uses his shoulder pad to deliver the blow. Keep in mind this is the CROWN OF THE HELMET, not just lowering your head to protect yourself or truck somebody.

The Campbell video shows it very well. He lowers his head, almost at a completely horizontal plane, and delivers a blow to the defender.
Again, game speed these refs wont get it right. They have had 2 years with the defenseless receiver crap and still routinely blow that call.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 03-20-2013, 02:47 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How often does that happen? I guarantee most times a defender gets trucked it will be flagged.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:48 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post

...because youre seeing that in slow motion. No way refs are making that distinction at game speed. Longhorn called it like its probably going to happen.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-20-2013, 02:50 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

On second thought, that even looks like he leads with the crown in slow motion. His head goes straight down and hes not even looking up. Thats definitely leading with the helmet. Classic wrong Forenci

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-20-2013, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
Again, game speed these refs wont get it right. They have had 2 years with the defenseless receiver crap and still routinely blow that call.
I mean, it's not perfect, but nothing ever is. Holding calls go uncalled and incorrectly called, PI, defenseless receiver, etc.

I think this is a good rule. Defense get punished for doing this, why shouldn't offensive players?

I know it's not popular, and Jvig is probably right when he says it's for the NFL to protect its ass, but anything that might make the sport safer is fine by me. I understand, inherently, it's an unsafe sport. I do. But does that mean we shouldn't do as much as we can make it safe without drastically altering the game (i.e. making it flag football)?

Can't speak for everyone, but I've played football, and I also plan to have kids someday. I know football comes with risks and we assume those risks when we (or the pros) play. But I still would want everything done to protect my kid if he decided to play football.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I don't think this will be some game-changing penalty. You'll see it called, but its not going to have any huge impact whatsoever in my opinion. For example, the NFL reviewed two weeks' sets of games, and the stated there would have only been approximately one penalty in every three games. That's simply not significant, even if you try and argue the refs will over-call it.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote