Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-18-2013, 10:38 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I think Lattimore is the RB of Garretts eye this year. Think we'll take him in the 3rd if he is there. I know this isn't a new revelation or anything...just that gut feeling you want to get off your chest.

I'd be fine with the pick, and have even suggested the team do so, but they better be ok with Tanner & Dunbar starting 3-5 games or pick up a cheap vet as insurance.

I believe Lattimore will be able to play by mid season, probably being stashed on pup to start the year, but the guy you get isn't going to have that burst back right away.

You won't get what you drafted him for until the following season. I think he could still be moderately effective, but I also wouldn't want to count on him carrying the full load coming off that injury.
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:10 AM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton View Post
I'd be fine with the pick, and have even suggested the team do so, but they better be ok with Tanner & Dunbar starting 3-5 games or pick up a cheap vet as insurance.

I believe Lattimore will be able to play by mid season, probably being stashed on pup to start the year, but the guy you get isn't going to have that burst back right away.

You won't get what you drafted him for until the following season. I think he could still be moderately effective, but I also wouldn't want to count on him carrying the full load coming off that injury.
We tend to get caught up taking guys who have been injury prone in college who otherwise would go higher. These guys are all talented, but guess what, they get injured in the pros as well. Lattimore is too risky a pick, and I don't think we need a "change of pace" guy either. We need a 2nd back who can start and play 3 downs. Murray just hasn't proven himself to be durable enough.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:20 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I think Lattimore is the RB of Garretts eye this year. Think we'll take him in the 3rd if he is there. I know this isn't a new revelation or anything...just that gut feeling you want to get off your chest.

For my dollar I'd rather wait until the 4th round to take him. I'd be willing to move up to the top of 4th for him. I just feel we really need to plug the other holes with 3 picks before we go after a potential question mark in Lattimore.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:35 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Dallas Cowboys and Miami Dolphins have been selected to play in the Hall of Fame Game on Aug. 4 in Canton, Ohio, giving each team an extra preseason game.
Great deal for Dallas. We get to open camp early. We get an extra game to evaluate the fringe guys in the new scheme defensively. And we get more chances for this offensive line to gel and not get Romo killed this year.

Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:38 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I think we like Lattimore too, and though I don't think it makes any sense what so ever I think we very well may take him in that 3rd/4th rd range and I hate it. Lattimore would be perfect somewhere like San Fran. Gore is only 30 and still going strong carrying a full load and very durable, Kendall Hunter returns as the primary back-up, Lamichael James in the fold, and he can truly take a red shirt year with no rush. Even in his 2nd year they can ease him in and it's not a big deal, especially with a team with a ton of picks.

But for us, we need a RB ready right now because do you trust Demarco can play 16 games? I love the guy and his talent I honestly do but he's not playing 16 games, I just hope it's around 14 this time. I have also seen what our offense looks like without him in there, and Dunbar/Tanner just don't cut it. You've seen what our offense looks like in these occasions and it's a disaster.

We are a much, much better team when we play balanced and I want a back like Christine Michael that if Murray gets hurt this guy can come in and carry the ball 20 times inside and out, so while he has his issues so did Martellus Bennett. He's not a 1st rounder with a ton of responsibility on him so you can let his talent ring out here.
i don't see a 20 carry guy in this draft outside montee ball and he has a million miles on his tires already. i'm not sold on franklin or jamison being a 20 carry back for an extended amount of games and imo lacey has is overrated a bit bc the offensive line he played with.

to me the cowboys need to upgrade both 2 and 3 rb on the depth, one guy who can be a change of pace guy and make big plays, but another guy who can run between the tackles and pick tough yards and still be able to contribute on special teams.

i just don't think anyone in this class is the type of player who you can plug and replace murray, so i would have no problem with them taking a change of pace guy to compliment murray provided we get some actual depth at #3 b/c honestly it should be an indictment on tanner and dunbar that they couldnt get carries behind felix jones after the palty production he gave all year post-baltimore

Last edited by CowboysBeastMode : 03-19-2013 at 12:41 PM.
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
i don't see a 20 carry guy in this draft outside montee ball and he has a million miles on his tires already. i'm not sold on franklin or jamison being a 20 carry back for an extended amount of games and imo lacey has is overrated a bit bc the offensive line he played with.

to me the cowboys need to upgrade both 2 and 3 rb on the depth, one guy who can be a change of pace guy and make big plays, but another guy who can run between the tackles and pick tough yards and still be able to contribute on special teams.

i just don't think anyone in this class is the type of player who you can plug and replace murray, so i would have no problem with them taking a change of pace guy to compliment murray provided we get some actual depth at #3 b/c honestly it should be an indictment on tanner and dunbar that they couldnt get carries behind felix jones after the palty production he gave all year post-baltimore
You can pick #3 RBs off the street. I'm not interested in using any of our picks on a #3 RB.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:08 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
For my dollar I'd rather wait until the 4th round to take him. I'd be willing to move up to the top of 4th for him. I just feel we really need to plug the other holes with 3 picks before we go after a potential question mark in Lattimore.
Agreed, I still doubt he goes in the 3rd. Too early for teams to take a risk on that knee. I've thought 4th round has been his landing spot all along. Too many quality players on e board in the 3rd with no injury concerns.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post

I disagree with your assessment of backs in this class capable of carrying the ball 20 times.

Ball as well as Lacy, Le'Veon Bell, Stepfan Taylor, Jamison, Kerwynn Williams, Bernard, Franklin, Gillislee, Cierre Wood, Burkhead and Zac Stacy among others all profile as players capable of developing into a primary ball carrier able to sustain a 20 plus carry workload. Each of those players will obviously handle that workload differently, but after seeing what the Redskins were able to do with Alfred Morris last year, I have faith a legit 20 carry back can be found ANYWHERE in the draft.

If Dallas concentrates on improving the overall offensive line, then just about any back will succeed behind it. A runningback pick before the 4th round is an absolute luxury pick, which Dallas doesn't have. Half the names I listed above should still be availible then with some slipping much further (I would guess Stacy, Burkhead, and Cierre Wood are 7th-undrafted).
Rev Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:26 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Agreed, I still doubt he goes in the 3rd. Too early for teams to take a risk on that knee. I've thought 4th round has been his landing spot all along. Too many quality players on e board in the 3rd with no injury concerns.
And my thought is there are still much greater needs including guard, defensive tackle, offensive tackle, safety (both), and maybe center before you ever begin to look at a running back unless the value is so great you can't pass it up.
Rev Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Bolyard View Post
And my thought is there are still much greater needs including guard, defensive tackle, offensive tackle, safety (both), and maybe center before you ever begin to look at a running back unless the value is so great you can't pass it up.
Agreed. If we take a RB in the first 3 rounds....
Old 03-19-2013, 03:10 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Agreed. If we take a RB in the first 3 rounds....
Same. I typically wouldn't even want one in the 4th this year but Lattimore is such an intriguing guy that its a bit of an exception.

What he was able to do pre injury was special. He was one of those RB's who's worth a top 10 pick.

Obviously he may never get back to the point given what's happened, but the risk/reward in the 4th round is something to consider.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Same. I typically wouldn't even want one in the 4th this year but Lattimore is such an intriguing guy that its a bit of an exception.

What he was able to do pre injury was special. He was one of those RB's who's worth a top 10 pick.

Obviously he may never get back to the point given what's happened, but the risk/reward in the 4th round is something to consider.
Yeah, I think a bunch of us are on the same page there.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:24 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Marcus Cannon is gonna get a chance to battle, or be handed the RT job in New England. Ugh, that makes me sad :( We took David Arkin over him. I wanted him early into the process and the medical stuff just gave him good value. Good to hear he's looking improved, I was long a fan of his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:41 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Two extremely juicy tidbits!

First off Stephen Jones said that Wilber will be getting the first crack at the SLB gig with Albright and Sims potentially getting second dibs.

The second piece is that we worked out Sean Porter (Texas A&M) and will be working out Vaccaro in the near future.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:07 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Two extremely juicy tidbits!

First off Stephen Jones said that Wilber will be getting the first crack at the SLB gig with Albright and Sims potentially getting second dibs.

The second piece is that we worked out Sean Porter (Texas A&M) and will be working out Vaccaro in the near future.
It will be interesting to see what Wilber brings to the table, I'm not sure that he is the best option but they obviously know better then any of us. We certainly need to bring in a pass rush option behind Ware if he wins the job.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:03 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kinda cool article about Tomlins thoughts of Kiffin

PHOENIX -- If there's anybody who believes in new Cowboys defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, it's Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

"Monte is going to be great in particular, Monte in a combination with Rod, that's a lethal combination," said Tomlin, who worked with the duo from 2001 to 2005 as a defensive backs coach. "These guys are football purists. I imagine they're somewhere in the bowels of that facility right now, man, with trash cans talking about how to defend the A, B, C gap.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...medium=twitter

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:51 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some interesting stuff from Fisher:

7 chunks of # Cowboys Intel: 1) Reports of connection w FA OL Eric Winston NOT accurate. Agent-generated misinfo.

7 chunks of # Cowboys Intel: 2) Draft board has wide separation between Cooper/Warmack level and Fluker level.

7 chunks of # Cowboys Intel: 3) Scouts sold on Vaccaro as 18th-pick-worthy; Wed. workout will help RedBall decide if he agrees.

7 chunks of # Cowboys Intel: 4) Why'd Garrett skip Bama Pro Day? Nick Saban connection gives him filing cabinet full of inside info

7 chunks of # Cowboys Intel: 5) there is no reason to take seriously any # JerryJibberish re Felix Jones being valued here.

7 chunks of # Cowboys Intel: 6) SJones (pointman in negotions) busy enuf w Romo to have not gotten to ASpencer yet this week. Maybe today.

7 chunks of # Cowboys Intel: 7) Moment after Romo done/room created, calls will be placed to vet DBs Ronde & Huff (if still available)

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:19 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
7 chunks of # Cowboys Intel: 2) Draft board has wide separation between Cooper/Warmack level and Fluker level.

7 chunks of # Cowboys Intel: 3) Scouts sold on Vaccaro as 18th-pick-worthy; Wed. workout will help RedBall decide if he agrees.

7 chunks of # Cowboys Intel: 7) Moment after Romo done/room created, calls will be placed to vet DBs Ronde & Huff (if still available)

Interesting stuff, good post. Curious what this first one means. So we basically have much higher grades on the Guards then Fluker at RT right? Which is fine with me if that's what it means, I'm all in for 1 of those 2 and I'd trade up to make it happen.

I also think Vaccarro is our pick if he makes it but I think it's extremely doubtful. I'd probably be eyeing both Cooper and Vacarro, when 1 goes I'd trade up for the other for something small like a few picks. Cooper due to an elite grade, Vacarro due to need mostly and being that we have zero safeties I wouldn't hate getting who is widely seen as the best one.

I also think a ton of us have wanted us to kick the tires on Huff for a long time now, nothing special but he's way better then Sency and at least we only need 2 draft one Safety. Him and Vacarro would give me a homertastic safety combo, but what is nice is both guys have good coverage ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:29 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
Man, I've wanted Ronde here so badly.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Man, I've wanted Ronde here so badly.
Ronde or Huff would be a huge upgrade over what we've trotted out at FS for a while now.

That is really sad to say :(
Old 03-20-2013, 12:51 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Interesting stuff, good post. Curious what this first one means. So we basically have much higher grades on the Guards then Fluker at RT right? Which is fine with me if that's what it means, I'm all in for 1 of those 2 and I'd trade up to make it happen.

I also think Vaccarro is our pick if he makes it but I think it's extremely doubtful. I'd probably be eyeing both Cooper and Vacarro, when 1 goes I'd trade up for the other for something small like a few picks. Cooper due to an elite grade, Vacarro due to need mostly and being that we have zero safeties I wouldn't hate getting who is widely seen as the best one.

I also think a ton of us have wanted us to kick the tires on Huff for a long time now, nothing special but he's way better then Sency and at least we only need 2 draft one Safety. Him and Vacarro would give me a homertastic safety combo, but what is nice is both guys have good coverage ability.
I agree with this completely. I think the plan is to sit tight and hope Cooper/Vacarro falls to them at 18. Signing Huff/Barber is definitely an insurance policy in case Vacarro doesn't make it to 18 or Cooper is still on the board. Either way it makes sense because Barber has mastered the cover two and is a huge addition in installing the defense. Huff has the versatility to play FS/SS and even CB in a pinch so it wouldn't hurt to add him even if the plan was to draft a safety high.

It all looks like a JG blueprint... depth, positional versatility, and the RKG hopefully it all works out once Romo's contract goes through.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:43 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Found this. There's still quite a few guys out there that can help this team. Let's get Romo and Spencer done and bring in some upgrades!

Free Agency 2013: Best 50 Left
Monday, March 18, 2013

Rotoworld Football ranked the NFL's Top 100 Free Agents on March 11. Since, 53 of the Top 100 players have signed elsewhere. Just nine have re-signed with their old teams. One retired. 37 remain unsigned.

Based on talent, production, and market developments since March 11, these are the Top 50 players left in the free-agent pool:

Restricted free agents, who rarely change teams, are not included.

1. Defensive end Elvis Dumervil -- Released Friday after a contract snafu that cost agent Marty Magid his job, Dumervil is now the top unsigned player available. He recently turned 29 and has 38 sacks to go with ten forced fumbles over the past three years. Primarily a 4-3 right end in Denver, Dumervil had his best season playing in Mike Nolan's 3-4 in 2009. The scheme versatility increases Dumervil's market appeal. Pittsburgh and Baltimore have shown preliminary interest.

2. Right tackle Andre Smith -- Smith is 26 years old and coming off a dominant season, but no substantive report has linked him to any team besides the Bengals. He's generating zero buzz. Clubs appear to be wary of Smith's history of weight fluctuation, which may be an especially big concern once he gets paid. Cincinnati still can't afford to lose him, and he'll likely re-sign there.

3. Cornerback Brent Grimes -- With virtually all of the young, healthy corners taken off the market, interest is picking up in rehabbing, 30-year-old Grimes. He visited the Dolphins on Friday and Browns on Saturday, and the Falcons remain squarely in the running. Because Grimes tore his Achilles' tendon last September, teams' initial offers probably consisted mostly of incentive-laden deals. Grimes figures to sign with the club that offers him the most guaranteed money.

4. Defensive end John Abraham -- Abraham remains one of the league's premier sack and forced fumble specialists, but the market has been lukewarm for a situational player going on age 35. So far, Abraham has visited the Patriots, 49ers, and Seahawks. He was also rumored to have shown up at the Dolphins' facility last week, but never met with team officials. Abraham's destination is difficult to predict because he seems to want more money than teams are offering.

5. Offensive tackle Sebastian Vollmer -- Perhaps partially due to February knee surgery coupled with a history of back problems, Vollmer's market has been shockingly cold for one of the increasingly pass-happy NFL's top pass protectors. Jake Long's Sunday night signing in St. Louis could quickly get the ball rolling. Long, Vollmer, and Andre Smith are all represented by Creative Artists Agency, which had caused a conflict of interest at the top of the offensive tackle market. With Long's four-year, $34 million deal done, CAA has a contract template from which to work.

6. Defensive end Osi Umenyiora -- Like Long, Smith, and Vollmer, Umenyiora, Dumervil, andDwight Freeney are all repped by CAA. Osi and Freeney may have to wait for Dumervil to set the market before catching on. As of late Sunday, Rotoworld had not done a Umenyiora news blurb for eight days. It suggests teams aren't even considering Osi yet because his asking price is too high. The Giants may still be in the mix. Atlanta will have to sign a pass rusher at some point.

7. Cornerback Antoine Winfield -- Winfield was so shocked by his March 12 release that he needed a week to "decompress." He spent the last nine years in Minnesota, earning three Pro Bowl trips and grading out in 2012 as Pro Football Focus' No. 1 cornerback. Winfield can still play, though he shouldn't expect much money in an incredibly watered-down cornerback market. At 36, Winfield will be looking to sign with a Super Bowl contender. He'd make a ton of sense in Seattle.

8. Free safety Ed Reed -- Reed's decision seems to have come down to Baltimore and Houston. He took a two-day visit to Texans late last week, and brought their offer back to the Ravens, giving GM Ozzie Newsome an opportunity to match. Despite signing third safety-type Craig Dahl, the 49ers are lurking and shouldn't be ruled out. Reed is entering his age-35 season.

9. Defensive end Dwight Freeney -- Eight of the top 11 remaining free agents will be over 30 when the 2013 season starts. Freeney falls into that boat, having recently turned 33. The Patriots and Broncos have both shown significant interest in Freeney, and New England hosted him for a club-facility visit Friday. He left without signing a contract. Following Friday's unintended release of Elvis Dumervil, look for Denver to heat up its efforts to sign Freeney early this week.

10. Linebacker James Harrison -- Harrison turns 35 in May and his body may be breaking down, but he can still put heat on quarterbacks. The Ravens are the only team known to have contacted Harrison since his Steelers release. He'd be a nice stopgap solution on passing downs.

11. Free safety Kerry Rhodes -- Rhodes has a reputation for being soft, but he's one of the league's premier centerfield safeties. He also caused six turnovers in 2012, picking off four passes and popping loose two fumbles. Media reports have not linked Rhodes to any teams yet.

12. Outside linebacker Victor Butler -- The typical starting 3-4 rush linebacker plays roughly 1,000 snaps per year. Buried behind DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer in Dallas, Butler has played 803 career snaps across four seasons, per Pro Football Focus. He's efficiently parlayed them into 11 sacks and four forced fumbles. Just 26, potential hidden gem Butler has been pursued by the Steelers and Jets. He really wants to reunite with Rob Ryan in New Orleans.

13. Linebacker Karlos Dansby -- Dansby was released by the Dolphins on March 12. An apt description of his market since would be "crickets." Expect it heat up this week. Dansby has played 3-4 inside linebacker, 4-3 SAM linebacker, and 4-3 MIKE 'backer in his career. He remains a high-impact run defender and would be a savvy replacement for Dannell Ellerbe in Baltimore.

14. Defensive lineman Richard Seymour -- The contending Falcons and Broncos "put out feelers" for Seymour when the signing period opened, but that's been the extent of it. While still an effective player when healthy, Seymour is pondering retirement unless an offer blows him away.

15. Guard Brandon Moore -- With Andy Levitre, Louis Vasquez, and Donald Thomas all off the market, Moore is the best guard left. After the Willie Colon signing, he won't be back with the Jets. Moore turns 33 in June, but remains a dominant run blocker and is adequate in pass pro.

16. Right tackle Eric Winston -- Winston is another starting-caliber right tackle who had been waiting on Jake Long's decision. 29 years old and a high-impact run blocker for zone schemes, Winston should be on the radars of Washington, San Diego, Philadelphia, and Miami.

17. Cornerback Mike Jenkins -- There are plenty of reasons to dislike Jenkins. He's not a physical player. He's been injury prone. He didn't play much in Dallas last year. But Jenkins is a 28-year-old former first-round pick with a Pro Bowl on his resume, and enough god-given ability to rejuvenate his career in the right spot. NFL teams can never have too many talented cornerbacks.

18. Defensive end Israel Idonije -- Idonije racked up 48 tackles and 7.5 sacks as a versatile tackle/end in Chicago last season. He's 32, but still a highly effective wave lineman.

19. Wide receiver Brandon Lloyd -- Cut Saturday, Lloyd is easily the most talented wideout available, but bipolar behavior and poor production outside of Josh McDaniels offenses will depress his market. There is speculation he'll re-sign in New England on a reduced deal.

20. Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha -- Perhaps returning to the Bay Area would spark Asomugha's passion for the game. He didn't seem all in for last year's Eagles. The 49ers hosted Asomugha late last week, and he visited the Saints this weekend. Asomugha turns 32 in July.

21. Cornerback DeAngelo Hall -- Hall seems like he's been around forever, but he's still only 29. A report he'd signed with the Lions proved erroneous. Hall is generating scant interest on the open market. The Redskins would take him back, but only at a significantly reduced salary.

22. Linebacker Daryl Smith -- Smith was one of the league's most underrated linebackers from 2005-2011. Now 31 and coming off an injury-ruined season, Smith has stirred up little to no free-agent buzz. If his groin checks out, Smith could be a cheap steal for a 4-3 defensive team.

23. Wide receiver Julian Edelman -- Even if clubs aren't intrigued by Edelman's offensive potential -- they should be -- his special teams value is a huge plus. Edelman has returned a punt for a touchdown in three straight seasons, and ranked third in the NFL last year in punt return average (15.5). Edelman turns 27 in May. He's flashed dynamic ability as a slot receiver.

24. Running back Ahmad Bradshaw -- Adam Schefter reported Sunday that the Packers and Steelers have reached out to Bradshaw. Easily the best back left, Bradshaw's market has been slow to develop because he's undergone three surgeries on his right foot, in addition to a left foot operation and surgeries on both ankles. His latest foot surgery took place in early February.

25. Tight end Fred Davis -- Davis would be signed by now if not for Achilles' surgery. The Browns have made inquiries, but the Redskins fully expect to retain Davis as their 2013 starter.

26. Wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey -- Heyward-Bey is purely a finesse wide receiver, but he's only 26 years old and can flat-out fly. DHB can help a team as a situational deep threat.

27. Left tackle Bryant McKinnie -- McKinnie's superb postseason protection of Joe Flacco was instrumental to the Ravens' Super Bowl run. They want him back on an incentive-laden deal.

28. Strong safety Quintin Mikell -- Despite releasing him on March 10, the Rams are open to re-signing Mikell after whiffing on Louis Delmas in free agency. Mikell is a one-trick pony "box" safety going on age 33, but racked up 101 tackles, three sacks, and four forced fumbles last year.

29. Safety Charles Woodson -- Woodson was a liability in Green Bay's defense last year before and after fracturing his collarbone in October. He'll still find a new home because of his versatility and leadership. The Texans and 49ers have flirted with Woodson, who is 36 years old.

30. Free safety Michael Huff -- Despite being shuttled between safety and cornerback last year, Huff remained one of the Raiders' most solid defenders. He was released on March 12 in a salary cap move. Huff is 30 years old now, but can cover the deep middle and that is important.

31. Free safety Ronde Barber -- After dropping a five-year, $41.25 million blockbuster contract onDashon Goldson, the Buccaneers would only take Barber back as a sub-package defender. He does want to continue his career. Barber, 38, has spent all 16 of his seasons in Tampa Bay. He could return as a slot corner and nickel back, but would not be a 2013 starter.

32. Strong safety Bernard Pollard -- When Ozzie Newsome releases you over a $500,000 payment, it's never a good sign for your NFL future. Pollard, 28, is another box-only safety lacking coverage skills. He has a big name, but must be hidden by the scheme on all passing downs.

33. Quarterback Kevin Kolb -- Kolb was a megaflop in Arizona, but he's only 28 years old and very capable of moving an offense with sound pass protection. He'd be one of the better backup quarterbacks in the league. The Jets, though, want to give Kolb an opportunity to start. The marriage makes sense because new OC Marty Mornhinweg coached Kolb in Philadelphia.

34. Cornerback E.J. Biggers -- Still developing, 25-year-old Biggers ran a 4.32 forty at Western Michigan's 2009 Pro Day. He's long and lean at 6-foot, 185, and graded out in 2012 as a top-20 cover corner in Pro Football Focus' ratings. Biggers has been getting no free-agency love.

35. Nose tackle Sione Pouha -- Pouha was one of the league's premier run stoppers as recently as 2011, and the Jets rewarded him with a three-year, $15 million contract. After an injury-plagued 2012 campaign, Pouha was cut. He's 34 now and figures to be far more affordable.

36. Linebacker Brad Jones -- Jones, 27, is capable of playing both inside and outside linebacker. He flourished on the inside with Green Bay last year. Cronies of Packers GM Ted Thompson are scattered throughout NFL front offices. Expect Jones to catch on this week.

37. Linebacker Antwan Barnes -- Barnes is a situational player only, but he has special teams value and 14 sacks over the past two years. He's going on age 29. To this point in free agency, Barnes has drawn the most interest from the Jets. The Dolphins have also reached out.

38. Outside linebacker Shaun Phillips -- Phillips' 2012 statistics look gaudy on paper -- 50 tackles, 9.5 sacks, and two forced fumbles -- but he is a fading, 32-year-old player drawing scant free-agent interest. The Broncos, Cardinals, and Browns have been floated as potential suitors.

39. Running back Felix Jones -- Jones is annually among the most disappointing players in the league, but he's only 26 and has a career yards-per-carry average of 4.79. He's also strong in the pass game. Cap-strapped clubs in need of a change-of-pace back ought give Felix a look.

40. Right tackle Ryan Harris -- Harris has a worrisome injury history, but stayed healthy in Houston last season and just turned 28 years old. Mike Shanahan needs a right tackle and has long been a Harris fan. He should also be available for around the league's minimum base salary.

41. Return specialist Josh Cribbs -- Cribbs may be close to signing with the Cardinals; as of late Sunday, he was at club headquarters taking a physical. Although 30-year-old Cribbs offers marginal offensive and defensive value, he still balls out on special teams. In 2012, Cribbs ranked eighth in the league in kickoff return average and seventh on punts. He also made nine tackles.

42. Linebacker Justin Durant -- Durant is a stout, downhill defender coming off a 103-tackle season in Detroit. He's 27 and capable of playing all three linebacker positions. The Giants are rumored to have some interest. Durant also played for Bears DC Mel Tucker in Jacksonville.

43. Wide receiver Domenik Hixon -- 28-year-old Hixon can be an asset on punt and kickoff returns, and he's typically held his own in spot starts at receiver. Hixon has started 12 career games, in them catching 41 balls for 613 yards (15.0 average) and a pair of touchdowns.

44. Cornerback Pacman Jones -- Although Jones held up well as Cincinnati's nickel back last season, playing right corner in all sub-packages, he doesn't have many friends left in the NFL. Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer is one of the few and wants to bring Pacman back.

45. Linebacker Rey Maualuga -- The Bengals want to re-sign Maualuga, ideally to play the strong side as Vontaze Burfict takes over in the middle. Maualuga, 26, did make a free-agent trip to Arizona and is also on the Giants' radar. He'll probably stay in Cincy on a one-year pact.

46. Cornerback Tracy Porter -- Still only 26 years old and 37 months removed from Super Bowl stardom, Porter's career is at a crossroads after seizures, a knee injury, and a concussion wrecked his lone season in Denver. He will be worth adding on a cheap, one-year, prove-it deal.

47. Defensive tackle Sen'Derrick Marks -- The 62nd pick in the 2009 draft, Marks is 26 years old and was a 14-game starter in Tennessee last season. He'd be better off as a reserve.

48. Guard Lance Louis -- Louis visited the Dolphins last week. 28 years old, his market would be stronger had Louis not torn his left ACL last November. The Bears want to keep him.

49. Defensive tackle Vance Walker -- Walker is a 26-year-old 4-3 defensive tackle who stuffs the run and has five sacks the past two seasons. He'd be a nice No. 3 tackle somewhere.

50. Inside linebacker Brian Urlacher -- Urlacher's tank is nearing "E" as knee problems are sapping his athleticism and burst at 35. He still seems likely to finish his career in Chicago.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 03-21-2013, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Good read by Sturm.

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/nf...1&feedID=10194

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 03-21-2013, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't mind my ignorance, but does Jerry still have enough money left in cap $$$'s to bring in more FA's factoring in the money he will need to sign his draft choices and the fact that most teams have to have an emergency fund, should a key player go down to injury later in the season and somebody has to be signed to replace him.

So, are the Cowboys really in the market for more FA's??
Old 03-21-2013, 04:55 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Don't mind my ignorance, but does Jerry still have enough money left in cap $$$'s to bring in more FA's factoring in the money he will need to sign his draft choices and the fact that most teams have to have an emergency fund, should a key player go down to injury later in the season and somebody has to be signed to replace him.

So, are the Cowboys really in the market for more FA's??
Not yet but will be after they extend Romo, add in a Spencer restructure, they will have enough room to bring in some FAs. Might release Free as well and that would give us even more $$ to play with

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote