Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-20-2013, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
@nickeatman: Cowboys eyeing Baylor WRs - Terrance Williams and Lanear Sampson. WR coaches Derek Dooley and Keith O'Quinn among NFL coaches here
There is a lot of depth at WR in the draft, if T Will falls into the 3rd I would certainly take a solid look at him.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
There is a lot of depth at WR in the draft, if T Will falls into the 3rd I would certainly take a solid look at him.
Don't think he'll make it to that point but I'd agree if he is there. He also fits the height/speed targets we typically target. I don't really get the Lanear Sampson aside from being a priority UDFA. He's shorter than our usual guys as well.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Don't think he'll make it to that point but I'd agree if he is there. He also fits the height/speed targets we typically target. I don't really get the Lanear Sampson aside from being a priority UDFA. He's shorter than our usual guys as well.
I'd agree with you pre combine, he was always considered an athlete on the outside who needed development to take his game to the next level. He has a limited route tree and tends to catch the ball with his body but that would go out the window if he blazed a fast forty and could out jump the competition.

When it came to the spandex bowl he ran a pedestrian 4.52 forty, threw up 11 reps on the bench, and came up short in the vert with an average 32.5 in vert. The most devastating number of all was his hand measurement of 8 3/4 inches which could explain he tendency to let the ball into his chest.

On film looks far more explosive but at today's proday he chose to stay with his numbers which left me scratching me head. I'm waiting to see an in depth review of the proday to see how he looked running routes. I can see guys like Wheaton, Rogers, and Patton passing him on draft boards.

Last edited by Witten4HOF : 03-20-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:56 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
@CoachAkina: Have a great workout @KennyVaccaro4 with cowboys.They like many other teams need someone with your passion,toughness,position flexibility
Quote:
@KennyVaccaro4: Workout went smooth... One step closer...#36days
Sounds like things went well with the private workout from the sounds of the Vaccaro camp.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:25 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Also weighed in at 275 lbs, just a little tid bit for anyone who had questions if he could play the base end.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/3/19/41...ego-Louisville
The more I watch, the more I like. Hadn't done my homework until this last week. Can easily play at 280, which is perfect.

I think I like him more than Werner to be honest. Carridine reminds me of a slightly bigger version of Cameron Wake.

I would actually be ok with taking him in the 1st. Not sure it has to be at 18, but after a trade down?
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:31 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If we resign Laurent Robinson, I feel like the chances of drafting a WR almost disappear.

If we don't, I feel like we could take a WR anywhere -- including the 1st round.

In fact, if Robinson isn't signed and Tavon Austin is on the board I don't think Jerry could hold back from getting a "Romo-friendly" weapon.

This is probably Miles Austin's last year with the team unless he returns to peak form, which is unlikely.

Tavon & Dez would be quite a tandem moving forward.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:35 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton View Post
The more I watch, the more I like. Hadn't done my homework until this last week. Can easily play at 280, which is perfect.

I think I like him more than Werner to be honest. Carridine reminds me of a slightly bigger version of Cameron Wake.

I would actually be ok with taking him in the 1st. Not sure it has to be at 18, but after a trade down?
Hopefully the team holds off on the Spencer contract until after the draft. It would be a shame if the team backs themselves into a corner without exploring other options. I am totally fine with renting Spencer for a year while developing a backup for a year, especially a guy like Carradine that can play both end positions.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
If we resign Laurent Robinson, I feel like the chances of drafting a WR almost disappear.

If we don't, I feel like we could take a WR anywhere -- including the 1st round.

In fact, if Robinson isn't signed and Tavon Austin is on the board I don't think Jerry could hold back from getting a "Romo-friendly" weapon.

This is probably Miles Austin's last year with the team unless he returns to peak form, which is unlikely.

Agreed, I have him locked up in the mock draft under the mock offseason thread. He is the a perfect fit for the Air Coryell system to exploit underneath coverages while Dez and Miles push the safeties deep.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:41 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I love Montgomery in the 2nd but agree he's not a JG guy, the fit here is beautiful though. I still like Reid in the 2nd, love him in the 3rd. Rumor is we want to talk to Winston I'm guessing if we opened up space. If we were able to land Eric Winston, I would want Cooper in the 1st and Reid in the 2nd more then likely but that's just personal preference.

I don't see the point of talking about DE because strangely we want to re-sign Spencer longterm. If we just need depth that's way too soon for it.
Until I actually see Spencer signed to a deal, I'd leave DE on the table as an option.

I know all the reports say both sides want it and Jerry thinks the ****** market has helped lower his price but I'm still hesitant to fully believe a long term deal will get done.

It's just so illogical from the teams perspective to invest long term in a 29 year old to play a position he hasn't played since college.

But yeah, back to Montgomery, he doesn't fit the culture. If he was picked I doubt Garrett would be on board. It would have to be a Jerry overruling.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:48 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Agreed, I have him locked up in the mock draft under the mock offseason thread. He is the a perfect fit for the Air Coryell system to exploit underneath coverages while Dez and Miles push the safeties deep.
Yeah they'd make an awesome trio his year and give him time to develop.

With a Dez (and Lee) extension on the horizon, I'm guessing Miles will be too expensive to retain next year. Tavon steps in as a cheap, high-end number 2 that kicks into the slot in 3wr sets.

The pick makes a lot of sense going forward. It isn't necessarily the best immediate pick, but with this draft you could still get a quality safety in the 2nd and an interior stud like Barrett Jones in the 3rd.

Tavon - S - OG/C 1,2,3 would be nice.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:48 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Hopefully the team holds off on the Spencer contract until after the draft. It would be a shame if the team backs themselves into a corner without exploring other options. I am totally fine with renting Spencer for a year while developing a backup for a year, especially a guy like Carradine that can play both end positions.
100% agree with this.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:03 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I've brought this up on a couple of forums and taken a ton of grief.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I'm with you, if both guards and Vaccaro are gone I would have no problem with taking Tavon or Cordarelle Paterson.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

I've a WVU fan, so would love to see Austin in a Dallas jersey. Worked out pretty well for Chuck Howley... and not so well for Solomon Page. Or Pac Man Jones. Or Mike Vanderjagt.
Rev Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:06 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Most people don't think more than a year ahead. Unless you state the obvious "take a guard!!" You're going to get grief.

I'm guilty myself of thinking strictly about OG/DL/S but the more I consider the 2nd & 3rd round depth at those positions and the chance to land a game breaker in the mold of Harvin/Cobb, the more I like the idea of Tavon.

Given Jerry's comments about investing more in weapons for Romo, it is definitely a possibility.

As of today, my ideal/realistic draft would be Austin/Elam/B. Jones.. Thinking Elam will slip a little due to height concerns but I love how he plays the game. Jones is supposed to be around in the 3rd due to injury and lack of athleticism.

Last edited by DrewyVuitton : 03-20-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:02 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I LOVE the idea of Austin, but don't you think it's almost a waste of talent? That is unless we unload Miles. I just don't see him seeing a lot of PT.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I LOVE the idea of Austin, but don't you think it's almost a waste of talent? That is unless we unload Miles. I just don't see him seeing a lot of PT.
JG found plenty of touches for Laurent Robinson in 2011, besides Miles hasn't been healthy for a whole season since he broke out in 2009. Even in seasons that he didn't miss games there were times he was better off standing on the sideline instead of dragging his dead hammies down the field.

I believe in what D-Unit preached at the beginning of the offseason. This draft is going to be about Garrett saving face and loading up the offense. Yes, that does include suring up the line but if the scouts have a versatile weapon like Tavon near the top of the board there is no reason to not pull the trigger. We have seen the good that has happened when the team follows the board. Guys like Sean Lee, Bruce Carter, and Demarco Murray flourish. We start playing the game and get cute with the picks we end up missing out on guys like Randy Moss, Stephen Jackson, and LeSean McCoy.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:18 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
IMO there is no way Miles isn't a Cowboy this year. He still has the potential to be a 1200yrd 8td receiver if he's healthy. The team & Garrett can't afford to give up on that for Dwayne Harris and Cole Beasley. That holds true with or without a rookie WR on the roster.

Also, Im pretty sure the Cowboys run a 3wr set over 60% of the time, mix in some gimmick plays with him lining up in the backfield and I think there would be plenty of opportunities.

With Dez doing his thing plus Witten & a healthy Miles, Tavon would get favorable match ups all the time. He'd be a real weapon.

Last edited by DrewyVuitton : 03-22-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:39 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Miles has too much guaranteed money left on his deal to cut him after 2013. He accounts for nearly $8MM in dead money if you cut him in 2014, and $5.1MM in dead money if you cut him in 2015. With how we've restructured his contract the past few years, we've basically locked Miles into the starting WR job for a few more years by making him uncuttable.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:02 AM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Austin is also a dangerous return specialist (though he's iffy catching punts sometimes) and lined up almost exclusively at runningback vs. Oklahoma where he carried the ball 21 times for 344 yards and 2 touchdowns... plus caught another 4 for 82 yards, AND returned 8 kicks.

Finding Austin 10-15 touches a game should never be an issue - the issue is whether adding Percy Harvin (minus the off the field nonsense) is a better decision going forward than fortifying the offensive line. My vote is that it isn't. I'd prefer Joekel, Fisher, Lane Johnson or Warmack over him... and if the Cowboy scouts prefer Cooper or Fluker, I'd be okay with that too. They get paid a lot of money, and I would hope they know more about football than your average schmoe.

Now, as a WVU fan I could probably refer you to some other interesting players:

WR Stedman Bailey (who caught 23 TD's last season) probably has the best hands in the draft. Decent size and speed. I've seen him mocked as high as the 2nd round, but could still be there in the 3rd for Dallas.

WVU pro day: Stedman Bailey, WR (198 lbs) — Bailey posted times of 4.62 and 4.66 running the 40-yard dash. A long strider for a wide receiver, Bailey looked good in the position workouts. He did have one drop on the day.

C Joseph Madsen led the Mountaineers in knockdown blocks the last 3 years, even though his strength has been questioned. His size is adaquate. Missed 2 bowl games with academics. Has a mohawk. Probably a 6th round pick or later.

WVU pro day: Joe Madsen, OL (301 lbs) — Madsen opted to keep his 40-yard dash times from the NFL Scouting Combine, but he did run some other drills. He posted a 27 inch vertical and 8-foot-10 broad jump. In the running drills, Madsen ran a 4.86 short shuttle and finished the three-cone shuttle in 7.58 seconds.

G Jeff Braun was WVU's starting RT in 2010. Their starting RG in 2011. Their starting LG in 2012. He was their primary backup as center the past 2 seasons, and started the 2012 Pinstripe Bowl (Madsen was suspended). He will likely be undrafted.

WVU pro day: Jeff Braun, OL (6-4, 309) — Braun posted times of 5.36 5.42 in the 40-yard dash. He did 29 strength lifts.

OLB Josh Francis played the "Buck" in WVU's 3-4 defense. He was essentially a hybrid linebacker/defensive end. A good athlete, he could play OLB in a cover-2. He will likely be undrafted.

WVU pro day: Josh Francis, OLB (5-11 3/4, 228) — Francis is a really good athlete that will find himself in demand in the latter stages of the draft or as a high-priority undrafted free agent. The linebacker clocked in at 4.77 and 4.72 seconds for the 40-yard dash. He measured a 10-foot-5 in the broad jump and pumped out 25 strength lifts. He’s the kind of athlete that will make a good special teams player.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:28 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
As of today, my ideal/realistic draft would be Austin/Elam/B. Jones.. Thinking Elam will slip a little due to height concerns but I love how he plays the game. Jones is supposed to be around in the 3rd due to injury and lack of athleticism.
I would be happy with this.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 03-21-2013, 11:01 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
IMO there is no way Miles isn't a Cowboy this year. He still has the potential to be a 1200yrd 8td receiver if he's healthy. The team & Garrett can't afford to give up on that for Dwayne Harris and Cole Beasley. That holds true with or without a rookie WR on the roster.

Also, Im pretty sure the Cowboys run a 3wr set over 60% of the time, mix in some gimmick plays with him lining up in the backfield and I think their would be plenty of opportunities.

With Dez doing his thing plus Witten & a healthy Miles, Tavon would get favorable match ups all the time. He'd be a real weapon.
I love the idea, just feel it's more of a luxury pick. I mean if it were to happen, I'd be jumping up and down.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I love the idea, just feel it's more of a luxury pick. I mean if it were to happen, I'd be jumping up and down.
I just don't see how you can view it as a luxury pick when both of our top guys have some injury history. I think it's way too optimistic to think both will be healthy for an entire season.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 03-21-2013, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Quote:
I just don't see how you can view it as a luxury pick when both of our top guys have some injury history. I think it's way too optimistic to think both will be healthy for an entire season.
Can't the same be said for Murray. Or Sean Lee?

I think we can all agree that when healthy Dez and Miles are at the very least: Good.

Not sure health has anything to do with Livings, Bernardau, or Free who have struggled to play any better that average throughout their careers when healthy.

I believe that targeting a player because your very good starters might get hurt is the definition of luxury pick.

You attempt to field the best 11 players on each unit that you can, and then build depth to overcome injuries or losses... right now Dallas has talent deficiencies at key areas that prevent this team from succeeding. Offensive Line. Defensive Line possily. The safeties.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:34 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It's a luxury pick because WR isn't a top need. Not even in the top 3.