Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 02-26-2013, 09:05 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I definitely like Austin a lot, and I guess I wouldn't be upset if we took him. With that being said, I'm not sure if he's the right pick based on our needs. Sure, we desperately need a playmaker on offense, but I think Kerley has the slot receiver spot all locked up. We have too many holes on the roster to ignore in the early rounds. Classic needs vs. value debate.

I really would like to see the Jets draft Warmack or trade down, but I know that's easier said than done.

Last edited by TimD : 02-26-2013 at 09:07 AM.
TimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:28 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So now there's a ton of CBs and Safeties that produced on the field, also producing at the combine. This is like the best draft ever for us. If only we could use it to its fullest potential...

Personally, if we could find a way to trade Cro, as long as we didn't get majorly shafted, I would be all for it. That would really help out our cap situation going forward and I'm not so sure there aren't multiple CBs in this draft that could do just as good if not better of a job for a fraction of the price.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 02-27-2013 at 01:02 AM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:56 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
So now there's a ton of CBs and Safeties that produced on the field, also producing at the combine. This is like the best draft ever for us. If only we could use it to its fullest potential...
Agreed. T.J. McDonald and Matt Elam are two of my personal draft day hopefuls. I think they would both be good fits for different reasons. This seems like the kind of CB/Safety class that is more deep than it is top heavy so I'd like to see us make our move in rounds 3-7.

As for trading Cromartie, I would be all for it if it meant keeping Revis. I know it doesn't seem like Revis is staying but who knows what could happen. Cromartie's value will never be higher and trading him would clear up a good amount of cap space, compared to trading Revis for minimal cap relief. I think a 3rd or 4th for Cro isn't out of the question, but unfortunately those two have played their last game together in my opinion.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:36 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah there are some nice corners out there if they do move Revis. Definitely not the worst year to do it.

With Moore's terrible combine showing, do you take him if he slips to 39?

If they can get 31 and 34 for Revis that could lead to a pretty nice haul too. Something like:

Mingo/Jordan/Ansah
Fluker
Ertz
Patton
Collins
Randle
Mathieu
Duke Williams/late round safety who could turn into more
Renfree/developmental QB

Would hit on a ton of needs and really help build the team long-term. Maybe flip some players/positions around, but I don't think many of those are unrealistic in terms of value and they'd all help now and down the road.

Last edited by derza222 : 02-28-2013 at 09:59 AM.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:55 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From Cimini, Terry Bradway said that the strength of the draft at QB is in rounds 2-3 and the strength at safety and RB is in rounds 2-4. Also 12-14 WR's could make contributions as rookies and

Who knows how legitimate this is, but it all makes sense so I'm thinking it could be how they actually feel. I'm thinking if they like a QB then MAYBE they'll take him in round 3, but probably pass except maybe a late round shot. Still think Glennon is a favorite there - he's got the arm to handle the Meadowlands and experience playing in the WCO. The strength of RB and S in rounds 2-4 to me means there's a good shot they pop one of those need spots in there, although I think they may pass on RB if they don't find the right fit. Not sure they need a WR who can contribute right away, but that's an interesting nugget too. Also would imagine like most teams they'll try to trade down in the first as most of the strength of this draft is in that 2-4 range.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:42 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Yeah there are some nice corners out there if they do move Revis. Definitely not the worst year to do it.

With Moore's terrible combine showing, do you take him if he slips to 39?

If they can get 31 and 34 for Revis that could lead to a pretty nice haul too. Something like:

Mingo/Jordan/Ansah
Fluker
Ertz
Patton
Collins
Randle
Mathieu
Duke Williams/late round safety who could turn into more
Renfree/developmental QB

Would hit on a ton of needs and really help build the team long-term. Maybe flip some players/positions around, but I don't think many of those are unrealistic in terms of value and they'd all help now and down the road.
I stopped dreaming about 31 and 34 for Revis. I think we'd be lucky to even get the 34th pick for him. We're most likely looking at a late 2nd for Revis, his value is really not very high at all. His ceiling is 3rd because we'd obviously get a 2015 3rd round compensatory pick for him anyway, but I don't see teams giving up a 1st rounder for him.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:24 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
I stopped dreaming about 31 and 34 for Revis. I think we'd be lucky to even get the 34th pick for him. We're most likely looking at a late 2nd for Revis, his value is really not very high at all. His ceiling is 3rd because we'd obviously get a 2015 3rd round compensatory pick for him anyway, but I don't see teams giving up a 1st rounder for him.
Yeah, I mean that was a week ago when that was getting talked about as potential compensation. I still think the Jets can do fairly well if they can get a few teams into a bidding war, but I'm preparing to be disappointed.

Last edited by derza222 : 03-08-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:36 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So Idzik and Bradway are at the Vols' Pro Day. They could really be looking at any and all of Bray, Patterson, and Hunter, but the people here I'm assuming are rooting for Patterson.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:49 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So Idzik and Bradway are at the Vols' Pro Day. They could really be looking at any and all of Bray, Patterson, and Hunter, but the people here I'm assuming are rooting for Patterson.
Justin Hunter in the 2nd round is a real possibility.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:26 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I'd be down for Hunter in round 2. Don't really see the WCO fit though. Not a big Bray fan between the field stuff and his throwing mechanics.

Also, wasn't everybody pretty much at the Clemson pro day? Wouldn't read too much into it.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:39 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a huge Bray fan, especially if we can get him on day 3. His upside is huge.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:57 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I'd be down for Hunter in round 2. Don't really see the WCO fit though. Not a big Bray fan between the field stuff and his throwing mechanics.

Also, wasn't everybody pretty much at the Clemson pro day? Wouldn't read too much into it.
Do you not think we'll be interested in Clemson players? I, for one, think DeAndre Hopkins is fantastic, and I could see people making a case for Ellington.

I think what this should get people assuming is that we'll be taking a WR early on, especially with the news that Holmes might not even be ready until the regular season.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:01 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Do you not think we'll be interested in Clemson players? I, for one, think DeAndre Hopkins is fantastic, and I could see people making a case for Ellington.

I think what this should get people assuming is that we'll be taking a WR early on, especially with the news that Holmes might not even be ready until the regular season.
Not saying that, but I wouldn't presume it's for a guy at 9 or 39 either. They might be interested in Dallas Thomas from Tennessee for example, or that DL Goodman from Clemson.

As for Bray, why do you like him Rob? He's like a worse version of Mallett or Glennon to me. And probably not an ideal WCO fit.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:35 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Word is Hunter caught the ball "very well" today. It's funny because before I had looked at any rankings and heard the talk here, I thought Hunter looked like the best receiver in the class. And while Patterson certainly has those "video game" sorts of moves and speed, even now, Hunter looks like the better receiver. I know he has some issues with dropping the ball, but really, the only thing that concerns me with him are his incredibly skinny legs. But, we shall see.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:07 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah, Hunter looks almost like AJ Green, only I didn't see the same wiry strength Green has when I watched him. Maybe it was an injury thing, but he seems to go down on first contact an awful lot. Probably fits a downfield offense better than a WCO.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:11 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Apparently the Jets are showing a lot of interest in Josh Martin, OLB, Columbia. I would be down for a late round flier on him since I love their fight song lol. He was pretty productive and, of course, he has to be smart if he's going there. From what I can see in videos, he's quite athletic, but that might also have to do with the level of competition. I would say though that, at the very least, no matter the level, he has enough speed and flexibility to play the position and not look completely lost out there. Seems to have a nice mean streak to him, but I didn't get to see a lot. 6'3" 245 is what he's listed at.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Still want no part of Jarvis Jones. That pro day performance just confirms what I saw when I watched his games.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:23 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Still want no part of Jarvis Jones. That pro day performance just confirms what I saw when I watched his games.
With Jordan likely gone the top passers aside from Jones are probably going to be Mingo and Carradine and Werner.

I guarantee they look to trade down. I prefer Carradine of the three. At 9, it's a little risky.

I've been thinking if they successfully move down Lacy might be a decent pick. He'd immediately be a starter and a nice building block. Although it doesn't really jive with Morningweigh's philsophy, he is good in the passing game.

I thought for sure they'd go Jones/Jordan but with Jones' horrible pro day it's looking like they could really go with Tavon Austin, a QB, or Lotulelei.

Another target on a trade down could be Eifert...
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:28 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
With Jordan likely gone the top passers aside from Jones are probably going to be Mingo and Carradine and Werner.

I guarantee they look to trade down. I prefer Carradine of the three. At 9, it's a little risky.

I've been thinking if they successfully move down Lacy might be a decent pick. He'd immediately be a starter and a nice building block. Although it doesn't really jive with Morningweigh's philsophy, he is good in the passing game.

I thought for sure they'd go Jones/Jordan but with Jones' horrible pro day it's looking like they could really go with Tavon Austin, a QB, or Lotulelei.

Another target on a trade down could be Eifert...
If they trade down that's one I'd like. Would kind of prefer McDonald/Kelce if they can do one of those in the third, Escobar too. If they could move down for Austin/Patterson/Allen that'd be cool also. Cooper's another one.

Moving down is going to be tough though IMO. Who wants to move up, and for what player?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:33 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If they trade down that's one I'd like. If they could move down for Austin/Patterson/Allen that'd be cool. Cooper's another one.

Moving down is going to be tough though IMO. Who wants to move up, and for what player?
Austin is a good guess. If Geno Smith, Austin (or Patterson) is taken in the top 8 one of these players will fall.

Fisher, Joeckel, Floyd, Ziggy are the locks for me

Milliner
Lane Johnson
Jordan

So one of those guys will be there at 9.

Austin.

MAYBE Vaccaro.

Maybe Star/Richardson.

That's all I've got.

And Mingo is a guy the Jets might not like (I'm not really a big fan) that a team might want to leapfrog TEN for.

If Lane Johnson is there they could DEFINITELY deal that pick. Maybe to SD and pick up a 3rd, 4th, or 2014 pick.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:40 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah that's a good call on Johnson. If three tackles are gone in the top 8 that means you're going to see Ansah, Jordan, Milliner, Geno, Star, or Floyd at 9. If not, maybe a team wants to move up for that third tackle, second DT, first corner. Nobody's moving up ahead of the Titans and Chargers for Geno, but the Jets at least have needs there and at OLB. Still think it's going to be tough to deal the pick, but there are options.

I have to imagine they're targeting a WR somewhere if they want 13 from Tampa though. To me that smells of hoping to land one of the top 3 pass rushers at 9 and then Austin/Patterson at 13.

I think Jordan's there at 8 or 9, too. To me the Eagles go in a different direction after Barwin, Browns after Kruger (And didn't they sign someone else?), Detroit goes Ziggy/Milliner, Arizona goes tackle/QB. Maybe Jacksonville pops him at 2, but I'd be surprised. Don't see Oakland doing that. So maybe Jacksonville, but I think Buffalo or he's there at 9.

Last edited by derza222 : 03-21-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:48 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

The thing about trades is that you never know when two teams or more are competing for a slot - maybe not even for the same player at all. And there's also the idea that "we're taking this guy, but we like x player also. If you don't deal with us, he's gone."

I'll never forget the Browns and Ravens (division rivals) traded No. 12 for No. 13. The Browns took Wimbley at 12 and the Ravens got Ngata at 13.

That's a perfect example. SOMETHING fishy went on there.

Cleveland moved up ONE spot last year to secure Richardson. Who knows what Minny told them to make them do that.

Same with the Vikings moving WAY UP to take Ponder. Clearly there was some rumor stirring or legit interest or bluffing going on. There were definitely more than one or two teams vying to move up to that spot.

It may be difficult, but Idzik comes from a program that always looked to trade down. And he inherited an extremely shallow roster because of all the bad trade-ups and bad late draft picks this team made.

Although if Jordan is there they have to take him. I fear BUF will take him. And Arizona might take him over Lane Johnson.

It's going to be fun. Big draft for the Jets. They need to come away with a TE and a RB though so I would be happy if they shored up that position with THE best player at either position...
Old 03-21-2013, 11:04 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Not saying that, but I wouldn't presume it's for a guy at 9 or 39 either. They might be interested in Dallas Thomas from Tennessee for example, or that DL Goodman from Clemson.

As for Bray, why do you like him Rob? He's like a worse version of Mallett or Glennon to me. And probably not an ideal WCO fit.
His arm is the best in this draft class. I value arm talent more than anything else. I don't think his psychological issues are enough to make him not the biggest upside qb in this draft, I'd take him in the 3rd every time. If he busts, big deal its a 3rd round pick, but I think he has as much franchise qb potential as anyone in this draft.

Not sure about him vs mallet but he's the better prospect than Glennon and its not even close. Glennon isn't worth a day 1-2 pick considering how awful he's looked in the evaluation process

Last edited by Robcards : 03-21-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:11 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
His arm is the best in this draft class. I value arm talent more than anything else. I don't think his psychological issues are enough to make him not the biggest upside qb in this draft, I'd take him in the 3rd every time. If he busts, big deal its a 3rd round pick, but I think he has as much franchise qb potential as anyone in this draft.
Fantastic arm for sure, but crappy mechanics. The arm talent would mean more to me if he had better mechanics, think he's going to be inconsistent until he cleans that up and I'm not a fan of drafting a guy just to change how he throws the ball. Psychological issues don't help. Who knows though. Definitely disagree with you on Glennon. Made that team better, supporting cast was awful and he was still productive. Not day 1, but I'd be cool with him on day 2.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:37 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Fantastic arm for sure, but crappy mechanics. The arm talent would mean more to me if he had better mechanics, think he's going to be inconsistent until he cleans that up and I'm not a fan of drafting a guy just to change how he throws the ball. Psychological issues don't help. Who knows though. Definitely disagree with you on Glennon. Made that team better, supporting cast was awful and he was still productive. Not day 1, but I'd be cool with him on day 2.
Have you seen him at the senior bowl or combine? He's looked terrible. Also, people got on Stafford's case for his mechanics too. A good arm is a good arm, don't really care how he throws it unless its an average to bad arm like Tebow lol