Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who is the better QB all time?
Dan Marino 77 45.03%
Brett Favre 94 54.97%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2007, 04:18 PM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Non_Sequitur hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsagan77 View Post
Keep doing nothing with your life buddy...
Who says he's not doing anything with his life? Because he can have a laugh at someone who falls back on their supposedly military experience in an attempt to legitimize their argument means his life is unproductive?

Get real.
Non_Sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Jonathan_VIlma
Pro Bowler

Jonathan_VIlma hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I doubt any quarterback will ever compare to Marino. He would've been ten times the passer he was if he didn't force it because he didn't have any help most of the time. He was also one of the more cerebral quarterbacks to play the game, he just trusted his arm way too much. The Fake Spike game is an example of why Marino is brilliant even though it's before my time.

Designs by Thule
Jonathan_VIlma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:04 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_VIlma View Post
I doubt any quarterback will ever compare to Marino. He would've been ten times the passer he was if he didn't force it because he didn't have any help most of the time. He was also one of the more cerebral quarterbacks to play the game, he just trusted his arm way too much. The Fake Spike game is an example of why Marino is brilliant even though it's before my time.
Are you saying Marino's the greatest?

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Jonathan_VIlma
Pro Bowler

Jonathan_VIlma hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Something i can't stand in these who's the best QB conversations, is that people tend to go with the older QB. Well its not just Qbs, it's all players actually. Just because, someone played in say the 70's or 80's or even earlier there is always a bias to say that player is better than todays. Honestly, it makes no sense at all, take some of the players of the past... say Unitas and Graham... there is absolutly nothing that makes these guys better than the Favres, or the Marinos, or the Montana's of the world. Or take a player like Mike Singeltary... fantastic yes but, you compare him to one of todays finest like Junior Seau or Zach Thomas... people will always go with Singeltary. This is something I cant stand... obviously all these players all have huge names and that plays a huge role because, people tend to go with the name rather than the actual ability. It's so annoying. Alright one more... take Peyton Manning on pace to be statsistically the greatest QB of all-time, in a much faster/harder game than what was played in the past. Compare him to Joe Montana and guess which one people are going to take despite the fact that if you watch both these guys on tape... Peyton is the more dazzling of the two. It really is an unfair bias.
Montana was also the centerpiece to four Superbowl victories, and in that dominated the playoffs throughout his whole career. Manning is the best regular season quarterback ever, but Montana outclasses him (and probably every other quarterback) when it comes to the playoffs which is when it matters the most.

And I'm saying Marino is one of the best. It's certainly debateable but he was an absolutely incredible player.

Designs by Thule
Jonathan_VIlma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:56 AM    (permalink
johbur
Pro Bowler

johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It is too difficult to sit around and talk about which HOFer is better than which HOFer. They played on different team, had different coaches and played in different eras usually. One thing I look at is if I were building an expansion franchise, which guy would you want?

Most people have mad-love for Deion on this board, but don't even know who Dick 'Night Train' Lane was. That man terrified players to the degree the owners changed the rules because they were afraid Night Train was going to literally kill someone out on the field.

Marino amazing, Joe great in the clutch and has four rings, Brady has three rings at a young age still, Payton great and Favre was MVP three years running. All have different coaches, receivers (for those that man-crush Montana, he did have Rice and JT...) different competency of the running game and of defense. Bradshaw has four rings just like Joe, but he also had nasty defense and Franco Harris. Same thing usually knocks Aikman out of the best discussion. Even Brady takes dings because he's under Belichek.

Marino IS an HOFer, meaning he went through an incredibly difficult screening and was judged to be one of the best ever.

Favre will go through that screening in about seven years and also be an HOFer.

Brady and Manning likely to also go.

At the end of the day you're left with who you'd want if you were starting a franchise, and I'd take Favre.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Nitschke-Hawk
Pro Bowler

Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.

I take Favre because he's the better playmaker, I think he's the best playmaking QB ever, which goes along with the gunslinger term. You have your guys that are sound technically, physically, and mentally, he was never that guy but he had the perfect amount of mobility with his arm strength and it created a knack for playmaking. He still dances around the pocket and feels the pass rush as well as anybody.

Bosanac01
Nitschke-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:11 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well I think that pretty much sums up who's danker outta the two.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.

Last edited by TitleTown088 : 04-20-2007 at 06:21 PM.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:25 PM    (permalink
FahvRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non_Sequitur View Post
Who says he's not doing anything with his life? Because he can have a laugh at someone who falls back on their supposedly military experience in an attempt to legitimize their argument means his life is unproductive?

Get real.
He must still be sun burnt from his exhausting spring break
Old 04-20-2007, 09:40 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johbur View Post
It is too difficult to sit around and talk about which HOFer is better than which HOFer. They played on different team, had different coaches and played in different eras usually. One thing I look at is if I were building an expansion franchise, which guy would you want?

Most people have mad-love for Deion on this board, but don't even know who Dick 'Night Train' Lane was. That man terrified players to the degree the owners changed the rules because they were afraid Night Train was going to literally kill someone out on the field.

Marino amazing, Joe great in the clutch and has four rings, Brady has three rings at a young age still, Payton great and Favre was MVP three years running. All have different coaches, receivers (for those that man-crush Montana, he did have Rice and JT...) different competency of the running game and of defense. Bradshaw has four rings just like Joe, but he also had nasty defense and Franco Harris. Same thing usually knocks Aikman out of the best discussion. Even Brady takes dings because he's under Belichek.

Marino IS an HOFer, meaning he went through an incredibly difficult screening and was judged to be one of the best ever.

Favre will go through that screening in about seven years and also be an HOFer.

Brady and Manning likely to also go.

At the end of the day you're left with who you'd want if you were starting a franchise, and I'd take Favre.
i'd take farve too. even though i voted marino as better. marino, by stats is the defacto best quarterback... but based on intangebles and leadership skills. brett farve has it. and this is coming from a bears fan who lost a brother to the green sweep of the mid-90's that swarmed through the greater chicagoland area.

and if anyone doesn't know what a night train necktie looks like... shame on you. he was as scary as LT, only on the outside.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:33 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post

Well I think that pretty much sums up who's danker outta the two.
Well that definately complicates things.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:10 AM    (permalink
EvilMonkey
Veteran

EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_VIlma View Post
Montana was also the centerpiece to four Superbowl victories, and in that dominated the playoffs throughout his whole career. Manning is the best regular season quarterback ever, but Montana outclasses him (and probably every other quarterback) when it comes to the playoffs which is when it matters the most.

And I'm saying Marino is one of the best. It's certainly debateable but he was an absolutely incredible player.
to expand on this a little, if the whole older QBs are better arguement was really true, why dont people consider Bradshaw better than Montana. I understand what you're saying in terms of ability but guys are judged based on their dominance in their own time period. That's how it is and Montana had a tredmendous team around him, yeah, but what made him so good was his clutch performances. You win the big one 4 times while playing outstanding in them all you are gonna get respect and thats how it is.

As for this arguement, my personal vote goes for Favre because even though he has struggled a lot of years he has more great years than Marino who, and i can get trashed all you guys want for saying this but it's true, after his first 7 or 8 years the rest of his career his numbers basically compare to Drew Bledsoe....
EvilMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:55 AM    (permalink
jagsfreak27
Veteran

jagsfreak27 needs more cowbell.

Its about even but I voted Marino

Jags:8-8
Duke B-Ball:22-10
Florida Gators: 13-1 BCS Champs
4/16/07 R.I.P VT
sig by jackalope
jagsfreak27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 03:47 PM    (permalink
23_phins_84
Rookie

23_phins_84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Easily Marino, Favre may have the ring, but Marino has the stats.

Ring: Team Effort, partial on the individual

Stats: Individual effort, partly on team
23_phins_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 03:51 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23_phins_84 View Post
Easily Marino, Favre may have the ring, but Marino has the stats.

Ring: Team Effort, partial on the individual

Stats: Individual effort, partly on team
Are you unaware that Favre is very close to Marino in stats and will break most of his records this season? Because then based on what you said Favre will be better and it's not close.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:10 PM    (permalink
757Dawg
Rookie

757Dawg is a cocksman.757Dawg is a cocksman.757Dawg is a cocksman.757Dawg is a cocksman.757Dawg is a cocksman.

In terms of overall skill set at the position, Dan Marino is probably the best QB of all time.
757Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:11 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post

As for this arguement, my personal vote goes for Favre because even though he has struggled a lot of years he has more great years than Marino who, and i can get trashed all you guys want for saying this but it's true, after his first 7 or 8 years the rest of his career his numbers basically compare to Drew Bledsoe....
true that.

i wonder if that's how manning is going to look in 2 years?

*gasp/shock/awe*

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:11 AM    (permalink
VoteLynnSwan
All-Pro

VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Are you unaware that Favre is very close to Marino in stats and will break most of his records this season? Because then based on what you said Favre will be better and it's not close.
it is extremely close. Any Packer homer who has convinced themselves that Brett Favre is clearly the better QB is delusional. Favre may be better... but it is about as close as it could possibly be.

Still... Close to his stats does not mean better.

Sig by me... Hold the applause.
VoteLynnSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:25 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteLynnSwan View Post
it is extremely close. Any Packer homer who has convinced themselves that Brett Favre is clearly the better QB is delusional. Favre may be better... but it is about as close as it could possibly be.

I know, that's not what I am saying at all. I was just proving how bad of an argument it was. Saying that Marino has the records and Favre only has the ring might have been a good argument except that Favre will break most of them. They are very close and there is not one guy that is far ahead of the other, but based on his reasoning it would be Favre by a lot.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:34 PM    (permalink
FahvRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteLynnSwan View Post

I think he was using the other guys arguement against him. The guy said it was easily Marino because he has the stats. So if Favre had the stats and the ring, it wouldn't even be close using the original poster's view.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:36 PM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran

OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

favre has the stats the ring and the MVP. Dan Marino may have been the single best pure QB ever but i think favre is a better football player and leader.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:47 PM    (permalink
Veteran

255979119 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Favre, because of intangibles.
255979119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:43 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I voted Favre. Even though I think Marino had better talent, I just like Favre more than Marino. Favre is a guy most Americans can relate to, and that is why he is winning over Marino, who probably was the better QB. Plus you don't see any Mayne Events on a kid wearing a Marino jersey, so that swayed me as well into Favre's favor. (I didn't try to do that, it just worked out that way.)

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote