Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-21-2013, 07:10 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like that write-up on Huff. He's never been special but he'd be such a huge upgrade for us and does exactly what we need. We've been trying to get him for years now lol, may as well at some point right? He's got much better corners here then in Oakland and he can cover in the slot really well.

Would feel much better about a rookie at Safety in rds 1 or 2 paired with Huff. His experience back there would be huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Last edited by LonghornsLegend : 03-21-2013 at 07:12 PM.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:43 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Not yet but will be after they extend Romo, add in a Spencer restructure, they will have enough room to bring in some FAs. Might release Free as well and that would give us even more $$ to play with
Again, don't mind my ignorance, but can you actually restructure Spencer's contract for next year after you franchised him. I'm not sure you can.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:47 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Again, don't mind my ignorance, but can you actually restructure Spencer's contract for next year after you franchised him. I'm not sure you can.
Signing him to a long term deal with a lower first year figure then the franchise cap hold.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Believe he meant extend. You are correct that a franchise tag is a 1-year fully guaranteed contract after it is signed. Dallas and Spencer have until July 1st to sign an extension or play under the franchise tag for the season.

Dallas will have an estimated 7-8million to play with for extending Romo which would allow them to make some low-level signings or a single mid-level signing and sign their entire draft class.

Extending Spencer would allow them to move additional moves.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:59 AM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

I gotta say, after how high Barron went last season and as bad as this safety class is... (some depth, but very weak at the top) I think Vaccaro goes way before Dallas picks.
Rev Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Bolyard View Post
I gotta say, after how high Barron went last season and as bad as this safety class is... (some depth, but very weak at the top) I think Vaccaro goes way before Dallas picks.
There might not be an elite FS in this years class but I certainly wouldn't call it weak. There are at least 5/6 guys who can come in and grab a starting position at some point in their rookie year.

I do agree that Vaccaro might get get selected earlier then I would grade him out but that is because on the emphasis on defending the pass. Since the league has transitioned to a pass first trend there is added value to guys on the back end that can turn and run with receivers man vs man.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:31 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

I think it might be in the teams best interest to secure Hatcher to an extension once some money frees up. He is in the last year of his contract and at this point can probably be had for less then 4 mil a year. At 31 I don't think a two or three years of solid production is out of the question especially at a discount price. If we let him play out the year and he throws down good sack numbers in a scheme designed to get him single blocked its going to be hard to retain him. Then the team is forced to look for more outside help in either the draft or free agency.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:45 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
There might not be an elite FS in this years class but I certainly wouldn't call it weak. There are at least 5/6 guys who can come in and grab a starting position at some point in their rookie year.

I do agree that Vaccaro might get get selected earlier then I would grade him out but that is because on the emphasis on defending the pass. Since the league has transitioned to a pass first trend there is added value to guys on the back end that can turn and run with receivers man vs man.
I agree, the Safety class is deep and talented. Predicting the middle picks in round 1 is always a tough chore. these teams usually just have to sit there and wait to see who falls to them unless a trade up is made. There really is no way you can guess at who will be available.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:59 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I too think Vaccaro goes before us but mainly due to how many teams need a Safety ahead of us. That said, it's ridiculous how bad we let our Safety position get going into the draft. That results in you having to push up Safeties ahead of much higher ranked players that would be an improvement but because we need one so bad we have no choice. If we miss Vaccaro it reeks of us having to reach for one in the next 2 rounds.

Quote:
Old 03-22-2013, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I too think Vaccaro goes before us but mainly due to how many teams need a Safety ahead of us. That said, it's ridiculous how bad we let our Safety position get going into the draft. That results in you having to push up Safeties ahead of much higher ranked players that would be an improvement but because we need one so bad we have no choice. If we miss Vaccaro it reeks of us having to reach for one in the next 2 rounds.
I think Romo's contract will be done by then and we'll have a veteran as a just in case. Garrett HATES having holes going into a draft as he favors BPA.

I prefer some of the guys projected as 3rd rounders or later value-wise compared to the other higher rated prospects.

Gimme Phillip Thomas in the 3rd, Josh Evans in the 4th, or Earl Wolff in the 6th before Vaccaro, Cyp, Elam, Reid, etc in the first two rounds. Given the team is EXTREMELY high on Matt Johnson I'd prefer to go the value route as well.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Looks like we may be wanting to dive into the free agent market soon.

Quote:
Source tells me SJones burned midnight oil last night/this am trying to work #Cowboys contract ideas on Anthony Spencer.
We reportedly have a meeting with Brandon Moore as well now! Not a chance we schedule that meeting if we weren't close enough with Romo/Spencer to free up money.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Looks like we may be wanting to dive into the free agent market soon.

We reportedly have a meeting with Brandon Moore as well now! Not a chance we schedule that meeting if we weren't close enough with Romo/Spencer to free up money.
Faaaaaaak. I need to finish my new mock already. Moore is on it. So busy at work this week. damn.

Stoked to hear the Boys are on to him though! Woo hoo!!!!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Faaaaaaak. I need to finish my new mock already. Moore is on it. So busy at work this week. damn.

Stoked to hear the Boys are on to him though! Woo hoo!!!!
Has me scrambling to finish mine too. Didn't have Moore but that's an exciting development I have them going with Matt Slauson. I honestly think either one would be a massive upgrade.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

Wasn't Brandon Moore was the butt-fumble guy? And isn't he not very good?
Rev Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Bolyard View Post
Wasn't Brandon Moore was the butt-fumble guy? And isn't he not very good?
That's the guy alright... but he is actually VERY good.

Some PFF storylines...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...s-and-centers/

Quote:
1. Brandon Moore

2012 Grade: +21.3
2012 Snaps: 1,087

Summary: Don’t let one of the league’s most infamous fumbles, which happened to involve Moore’s buttocks, distort your view. He was one of the best interior linemen in the league and part of a New York Jets offensive line that surprisingly ranked near the top of the league. His +21.3 grade ranked fourth among guards, and, as Moore mentioned to our own Sam Monson, his goal was to finish the season on a strong note — which he did with nine straight positive grades to top off 2012.

Success is nothing new for Moore who has now posted a positive grade every year since PFF’s inception in 2008. His +12.8 run blocking grade will be attractive to any team looking to move the ball on the ground, though he’s also more than capable in pass protection. He graded at +5.6 as a pass blocker with a Pass Blocking Efficiency (PBE) of 97.2 that ranked 18th among all guards. Moore’s all-around game has him as our top interior lineman heading into free agency.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ore-or-devito/

Quote:
There’s a reason we named Brandon Moore as our top free agent interior lineman heading into this offseason. He’s been one of the most reliable guards in the league for a long time, and, at age 32, this past season may have been the best of his career. Given the uncertainty in so many other areas of their roster, Moore is an important cog who the Jets can ill-afford to lose.

Here is where Moore ranked among his fellow right guards each season since we started grading players in 2008: fourth, fourth, fifth, seventh, third. He’s never finished a regular season with a grade lower than +11.3. In the last five years, he has five sacks allowed and just nine games with a grade worse than -1.0. Also with a streak of 137 straight starts, Moore hasn’t missed a Jets kickoff since 2004.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:50 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brandon Moore would be cool with me, he's getting old but he's still a solid player and should have a few good years left in the tank.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
@BryanBroaddus: Names the Cowboys are actually bringing in for UFA visits Will Allen S and Justin Durant LB. Will visit Valley Ranch on Monday.
Official FA visits.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:26 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2013/03/...nd-the-league/

Smallest DE's in the league. Bad idea. Never should have attempted to keep Spencer.
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:45 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton View Post

Smallest DE's in the league. Bad idea. Never should have attempted to keep Spencer.
Too early to call it a bad idea. Plus, I think we'll still use plenty of 3-4 looks. Our base might be 4-3, but really we'll probably be labeled hybrid when all is said and done. Just like Seattle.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:46 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Official FA visits.
I don't want Durant to leave without a contract.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Too early to call it a bad idea. Plus, I think we'll still use plenty of 3-4 looks. Our base might be 4-3, but really we'll probably be labeled hybrid when all is said and done. Just like Seattle.
Amen to that. People are far too hung up on defensive schemes. Seen far too many comments from the fan-base about how we'll be running full Cover-2 zones with 2 safeties playing deep half on every play.

No scheme even the old Bucs did that. Kiffin will have our cornerbacks pressing whether it be press-man or press-bail zone is to be seen. As far as size limitations we'll play a bunch of different looks. Kiffin has already said that Hatcher was by far the most talented of our defensive lineman last year and he wants to utilize him to the fullest. Crawford is also rumored to be in line for a ton of snaps this season and has been bulking up (perhaps as the elephant end a la Seattle).

Quote:
I don't want Durant to leave without a contract.
With him and Moore coming for visits I imagine it means the extension for Romo is pretty much a done deal. :) I think Durant could be a nice cheap piece for the defense as well.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:04 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton View Post

I agree that we shouldn't have kept Spencer but come on man, both him and Ware are great fits at end I don't care what their listed weight is. I can tell that from watching them play and their style of play, I'm not worried about our D-line at all with Spencer, Hatcher, Ratliff, and Ware and 2 really good young LB's behind them. That's why I want to just focus on the offensive line in the draft because our D is fine we just need depth badly.

Also I'm praying that we get Brandon Moore, and on the same token I hope Jerry isn't dumb enough to make Brandon Moore not let you draft Cooper for some reason. Hoping it's in case we end up with Vacarro. I would seriously have a woody if we got Brandon Moore and Jonathan Cooper.

Quote:
Old 03-24-2013, 02:29 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

We'll apparently Moore isn't even set in stone as a target

@fishsports: .@BloggingTheBoys NY media report is wrong. #Cowboys have NOT scheduled visit for OL Brandon Moore

Last edited by D-Unit : 03-25-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:17 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I really doubt we use 3-4 looks. Both Kiffin and Marinelli have been pure 4-3 guys their entire careers. I'd say its extremely wishful thinking to say a 70 year old tiger is going to change his stripes and all of a sudden go away from what his career is based on.

Monte's schemes have always been predicated on being simple & basic and doing your job. Minimizes responsibilities and puts an emphasis on having less things to worry about but doing those things very well.

Pretty much the opposite philosophy of the Ryan bro's who are geared towards versatility, unpredictability, and "exotic" looks

In terms of being like Seattle -- they have the biggest pair of DE's in the league and play Red Bryant at LDE on running downs. Bryant vs Spencer is a huge difference. Seattle changes their looks but remain a 4-3 team.

They sparingly used Clemons and Bruce Irvin at the same time. Pretty much reserved for 3rd down passing situations. We're basically attempting to do that on a regular basis. Schematically, it's an extremely poor idea.

Last edited by DrewyVuitton : 03-24-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:22 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I agree that we shouldn't have kept Spencer but come on man, both him and Ware are great fits at end I don't care what their listed weight is. I can tell that from watching them play and their style of play, I'm not worried about our D-line at all with Spencer, Hatcher, Ratliff, and Ware and 2 really good young LB's behind them. That's why I want to just focus on the offensive line in the draft because our D is fine we just need depth badly.

Also I'm praying that we get Brandon Moore, and on the same token I hope Jerry isn't dumb enough to make Brandon Moore not let you draft Cooper for some reason. Hoping it's in case we end up with Vacarro. I would seriously have a woody if we got Brandon Moore and Jonathan Cooper.
I really don't know how you can say they are great fits. Both are undersized and this team will have problems stopping the run.

Does everyone remember Freeney & Mathis? A top pass rushing combo in this league for a long time. Also susceptible to having the ball rammed down their throat for an equally long time.

Pretty much the only people who think this DE combo can be successful are Cowboys fans which should tell you something.

This is going to be a small front, just like our 3-4 front was small, and it will have similar problems against the run.

Spencer is going to have a massive RT and a TE wiping him out play after play after play. He ain't built for that.

Last edited by DrewyVuitton : 03-24-2013 at 04:25 PM.