Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-25-2013, 02:02 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post

I never said I was smarter nor do I think that but just because you and others here kiss their ass doesnt mean I have to. If I dont agree with what they're doing in regards to who they sign, draft, let go, etc. I have the right to say so just like everyone else here does.
This debate is pretty funny and you guys have Dan pinned down a little bit here which is cool but I do think he has a bit of a point here. It does seem that anybody who questions any of Baalke's moves is bashed pretty good. The best part of a forum in my opinion is healthy and varied debate/opinions, not group-thought or mindless cheerleading.

Baalke and the rest of the 49er power trust has been absolutely awesome but I think it's perfectly fine to question or disagree specific moves. Heck, why not? I don't see why people get so defensive when something is questioned.

Good example was last year's draft. A few different posters including myself were very upset with the draft and it seems like a lot of the people here got defensive and rather than intelligent debate their only argument was just that we shouldn't question Baalke and that people who did were being "negative". Having a differing opinion isn't negative. Everybody should express their own opinion, if not this forum will be pretty pointless and boring. If we want to just be cheerleaders then maybe we should shave our legs, hit the crunches, and sign up for the pom poms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:09 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Except for the Taylor Mays pick ;). That was a crazy story about him and Singletary nearly coming to blows over that pick.
I heard an interview with Baalke on the radio recently (95.7 the game) that I believe he stated that the coaching staff will not be in the draft room. Does anybody remember if Harbaugh was in the draft room last year? I wonder if Baalke implemented this as the "Singletary rule"..lol

Quote:
Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
I heard an interview with Baalke on the radio recently (95.7 the game) that I believe he stated that the coaching staff will not be in the draft room. Does anybody remember if Harbaugh was in the draft room last year? I wonder if Baalke implemented this as the "Singletary rule"..lol
That's weird becuase I remember JH being in the draft room last year and in 2011. I also remember his comment about Baalke being a "steely-eyed, missile man" in the draft room after his first draft with the Niners in 2011.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:18 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
I can't realistically see Amerson as a CB at the NFL level. His 2012 tape is that bad. Agaisnt Tennessee, which has a couple of NFL-level talent at WR, he was a complete liability. Some of it was technique. A lot of it was because he just isn't a CB. He was literally 15 yards off each WR and he just looked like he had a big sign on his uniform that said 'throw at me'. If Baalke drafts him, I can only hope its as a FS. We were seen talking to him at his pro day so I could defintely see us bringing him in and taking a closer look.
Yeah I saw a lot of good film but also a lot of bad film, FS probably is what they are thinking by taking a close look at him. With this deep safety class I'm getting to be a proponent of drafting two safeties fairly early. Whitner is on the last year of his contract and with all of our picks it makes sense to draft his replacement also if the board points that way.

Quote:
Kilgore and Looney give us a nice young nucleus of interior depth. I just like Jones that much and I think his versatility appeals to a team like us, who likes to get the most out of its 45 actives on gamedays. I don't realistically expect us to draft Jones or any interior O-Lineman. Unless....

They're already penciling Goodwin as a June 1st cut.
I don't think they would pencil him in as a cut before the draft. I think it's more likely that they are considering it but will let the draft be their guide as to whether they think he is expendable or not. I hope they can keep Goodwin for one more year but we'll see.

Quote:
Old 03-25-2013, 02:20 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
That's weird becuase I remember JH being in the draft room last year and in 2011. I also remember his comment about Baalke being a "steely-eyed, missile man" in the draft room after his first draft with the Niners in 2011.
It's possible that I am mistaken, I will look for the interview.

Quote:
Old 03-25-2013, 02:30 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This debate is pretty funny and you guys have Dan pinned down a little bit here which is cool but I do think he has a bit of a point here. It does seem that anybody who questions any of Baalke's moves is bashed pretty good. The best part of a forum in my opinion is healthy and varied debate/opinions, not group-thought or mindless cheerleading.

Baalke and the rest of the 49er power trust has been absolutely awesome but I think it's perfectly fine to question or disagree specific moves. Heck, why not? I don't see why people get so defensive when something is questioned.

Good example was last year's draft. A few different posters including myself were very upset with the draft and it seems like a lot of the people here got defensive and rather than intelligent debate their only argument was just that we shouldn't question Baalke and that people who did were being "negative". Having a differing opinion isn't negative. Everybody should express their own opinion, if not this forum will be pretty pointless and boring. If we want to just be cheerleaders then maybe we should shave our legs, hit the crunches, and sign up for the pom poms.
I see what your saying but honestly, I think the fanbase was spoiled by the success of the 2011 draft. Normally, you have to wait a minimum of 3 years to judge a draft. Players have to develop. We just had a lot of holes in the roster where the 2011 class could come in and leave its mark. And they did. I just think ppl were expecting waaaaay too much from the 2012 draft class with a roster as loaded as ours. We just had two back-ups and a NT who played 30% of the time, sign big paydays to be starters elsewhere. Where was there any room for any rookie besides maybe Jenkins, to come in and have a opportunity to shine? No way ppl should be judging players a year after they're drafted. 2011 was a aberration, not the norm in terms of same year impact from your draft.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:50 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't normally name drop.... but Bruce Miller and his girlfriend came into my restaurant tonight
Old 03-25-2013, 02:51 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
I see what your saying but honestly, I think the fanbase was spoiled by the success of the 2011 draft. Normally, you have to wait a minimum of 3 years to judge a draft. Players have to develop. We just had a lot of holes in the roster where the 2011 class could come in and leave its mark. And they did. I just think ppl were expecting waaaaay too much from the 2012 draft class with a roster as loaded as ours. We just had two back-ups and a NT who played 30% of the time, sign big paydays to be starters elsewhere. Where was there any room for any rookie besides maybe Jenkins, to come in and have a opportunity to shine? No way ppl should be judging players a year after they're drafted. 2011 was a aberration, not the norm in terms of same year impact from your draft.
At the time I was jumping up and down (literally) for Cordy Glenn or Stephen Hill. I guess we didn't need Glenn after all though. Baalke sure had Alex Boone's ability nailed. I guess my point was just that after investing so many hours like we do in following prospects that it should be a little more acceptable to offer a dissenting opinion or simply vent frustration. There's a chance that the 2012 draft class was a bust but you're absolutely right that it's way too early to determine that. A little concern seems reasonable to me though.

Quote:
Old 03-25-2013, 02:52 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
I don't normally name drop.... but Bruce Miller and his girlfriend came into my restaurant tonight
On the house I would presume?

Quote:
Old 03-25-2013, 03:11 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
At the time I was jumping up and down (literally) for Cordy Glenn or Stephen Hill. I guess we didn't need Glenn after all though. Baalke sure had Alex Boone's ability nailed. I guess my point was just that after investing so many hours like we do in following prospects that it should be a little more acceptable to offer a dissenting opinion or simply vent frustration. There's a chance that the 2012 draft class was a bust but you're absolutely right that it's way too early to determine that. A little concern seems reasonable to me though.
Meh, if your were to judge the 2007 draft based on their first year stats and contributions, it would have been labeled a bust outside of Willis. Especially on team who didn't have near the talent of the 2012 roster. But years later, we can clearly see we drafted a All-Pro safety, All-Pro LT, an above average 5-Tech who is a starter and a good starting CB, along with Willis. Like I said, the 2011 draft was like capturing lightning in a bottle. The only draft that comes close to having that type of immediate impact for this organization happened 25 years earlier.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-25-2013 at 03:15 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:16 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
I can't realistically see Amerson as a CB at the NFL level. His 2012 tape is that bad. Agaisnt Tennessee, which has a couple of NFL-level talent at WR, he was a complete liability. Some of it was technique. A lot of it was because he just isn't a CB. He was literally 15 yards off each WR and he just looked like he had a big sign on his uniform that said 'throw at me'..
I just watched the TEN tape...man I am bummed, that was freaking HORRIBLE...I was starting to really like Amerson.....

That made Amerson look like a 4th round pick at best. I haven't seen a tape that bad in a long time.

http://youtu.be/LJK9Gl8bqFc

Quote:
Old 03-25-2013, 03:21 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I just watched the TEN tape...man I am bummed, that was freaking HORRIBLE...I was starting to really like Amerson.....

That made Amerson look like a 4th round pick at best. I haven't seen a tape that bad in a long time.

http://youtu.be/LJK9Gl8bqFc
That's excatly why I mentioned that game...its like watching a train wreck in terms of coverage ability for one player. Not a lot of bump 'n' run, which probably would have suited him better but what they asked of him, he clearly couldn't do against top tier talent.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-25-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:53 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
That's excatly why I mentioned that game...its like watching a train wreck in terms of coverage ability for one player. Not a lot of bump 'n' run, which probably would have suited him better but what they asked of him, he clearly couldn't do against top tier talent.
Poor Amerson, dude gave up like 3 TDs. He must have seen dollars being taken directly out of his pocket every time a WR ran by him for another TD. Pretty embarrassing.

Quote:
Old 03-25-2013, 09:58 AM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justone2 View Post
I will say my mistakes where more because of language than of typos. It just annoys me when someone writes names wrong because it's easy to look them up when you are in doubt. For the picks i forgot we traded a 6th for Boldin had a seventh in mind for some strange reason.
calm down - pretty certain you knew what i meant
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Draft wise.....Harbaugh has been in the war room the last two drafts with Baalke, etc. Why would Baalke not have Harbaugh in the room when they're supposed to be working together?

2012 Draft was just surprising to me, thats all. I like LaMichael James and thought that from the highlights I saw of Jenkins that he might turn out to be a steal but thus far, he's been non-existent and granted, he didnt get a chance until injuries but at the same time, he did get a chance and did nothing with it. Even Baalke said that Jenkins didnt know the offense which is sad considering that you would think that he would know enough to catch at least ONE pass. Personally, im not expecting anything from him anytime soon. While it takes three years to fairly review a draft class, outside of James, im not holding my breath. Outside of Looney, the draft picks after him will all be on the roster bubble come training camp and pre-season.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:56 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

VAfy-ya

Thanks man! I am glad you liked it. Here is what I just posted. I took a pic, emailed to myself, and uploaded it.

NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:56 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Good stuff NYG. I can't find my SB tape but we ran something similar in formation but it was either the LG or LT I think pulling on a mis-direction sweep over the RT, along with the TE, in the SB. Gore scored the on the run inside the redzone...4th quarter I believe. Alot of interesting Pistol looks we gave the Ravens in the SB from what I can recall.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:16 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You ran it against the Jets.

I typed this to someone on our other MB, BBI.

Here was another fun formation:

X.....X.....O..O..[]..O..O......WR.....WR..

..................QB
.................RB

The right slot WR motions to the left creating a bunchnleft formation.

.........X....O..O..[]..O..O...............X
.....X.......X......QB
..................RB

So now against the Jets they called a QB keeper where the most inside slot WR blocks down, allowing the OT to pull, along with the pitch man who is the RB. So on this play in the redzone you have 2 men, the LT and RB, both blocking as Colin K. runs the ball for a TE.

There was no read involved. It was a flat out keeper that was well designed.I am sure if he wanted to he can create a read/option or just run the play with traditional rules. The issue the league faces is a longer off season where the staff can put more on his plate. That's where I think the strength of this lies.

It's not just the Pistol-Read/Option to worry about. It's the Pistol, Pistol-read/option, and then the play ground ball, QB keeper, that is beautifully designed.

That's not even using flash fakes for play action either. Add that component and this system is one big pain in the ass. It differs from the Redskins version where keeper concepts were flat out sloppy.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:26 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Were you using the All 22 footage when you diagramed these NYG?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

No, just a bunch of youtube videos. I basically used the usually tape breakdown methods like I did when I scouted defenses. I used it for the this. I wanted to see various breakdowns of Pistol, Pistol-read/option and QB keepers. That, traditional sets, and concepts off of those make up a great versatile offense you guys use.

So just found a highlight video which is perfect. From there you go by formation and pick out various concepts. Different videos will show different things, but then you will see things repeat.

That's how I scouted defenses we'd play. So that's how I transcribe those things on my formation sheets.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:39 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justone2 View Post
I will say my mistakes where more because of language than of typos. It just annoys me when someone writes names wrong because it's easy to look them up when you are in doubt. For the picks i forgot we traded a 6th for Boldin had a seventh in mind for some strange reason.
calm down - didn't know this would have such an impact on someone on a internet board.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:41 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
And there were more typos that Matt Scots... it's not important.

I'm really starting to wonder about David Quessenberry. Seems a little like a poor man's Barrett Jones. Main difference being Jones was a top recruit at Alabama and Quessenberry was a walk-on at San Jose State.

I also don't know how simple of a transition from Tackle to Center we should assume it is. Jones proved he could do it, Quessenberry is just a projection.

At this point, I think it's far more important to address a backup up swing tackle than it is to address a center..
every review about him has been pretty solid - think he would be a good pickup in rounds 3-4
Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

What does everyone think of Blidi Wreh-Wilson as a possible target @ # 61?

Quote:
Old 03-26-2013, 10:54 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
What does everyone think of Blidi Wreh-Wilson as a possible target @ # 61?
I always liked Wilson. Seems solid all-around. Slight stiffness when I saw him at the Combine but he does have fluidity on his tape. Recovery speed is a concern but that's to be expected in most bigger CBs. Horrible tackler though but that's coachable. Its hard to understand why that UConn team wasnt more successful, they had a slew good players on that defense. I don't think him nor Jamar Taylor are getting enough love.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-26-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:06 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Speaking of the 2012 draft class...

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...k-in-2013.html