Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 03-24-2013, 12:41 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know why people are concerned about the Panthers, they finished the season very strongly and appear to be on the verge of a breakout season. They could definitely be a contender this coming season so why would they want to gut the team now and rebuild, that's for rotten franchises like Oakland. They are only as player or 2 from a real playoff run and they can get those in this deep draft.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:41 PM    (permalink
Woodie
Rookie

Woodie is a cocksman.Woodie is a cocksman.Woodie is a cocksman.Woodie is a cocksman.Woodie is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
DeAngelo will be 30 in a month. I don't think you will be able to find a trading partner for a 30 year old back with his salary.
Generally I agree that it won't be easy for the reasons you gave. But the flip side is that while he'll be 30, he doesn't have high mileage due to splitting carries for most of his career. Also, much of the huge salary is in the form of bonus, so wouldn't go with him to the new team. That's why I think the Panthers are open to trading him, but not being overt about hit.
Woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:42 PM    (permalink
Woodie
Rookie

Woodie is a cocksman.Woodie is a cocksman.Woodie is a cocksman.Woodie is a cocksman.Woodie is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
Greg Olsen isn't good at anything besides running in a straight line, btw. Overrated talent.
Lol. Olsen is actually a very good TE and one of our biggest weapons.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Woodie
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorrinRadd12 View Post
While those players are very good, the team isn't. So it doesn't make much sense letting those guys be the ball and chain holding the long term success of the franchise back.
The team is much better than you think. We we actually outplayed many playoff teams this year for 58 minutes. The problem is that we didn't know how to close out games. So the issue is not that we are not a good team, just one that is young and still learning how to win. But the second half of the year we started to figure it out, so we'll see this coming season.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
While those players are very good, the team isn't. So it doesn't make much sense letting those guys be the ball and chain holding the long term success of the franchise back.
That's the way I see it. Good management means you find a way to move those guys. The NFL is not going to fold after this season.
Black Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:20 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If they wait until 2014 to cut those players they would only be $13.6M under the cap. A difference of $22M.The whole point of cutting them now would be to swallow the cap penalties in one year and be golden in 2014, and Gross is the key because releasing him would free up the 2013 cap room needed to absorb the other dead money.
I see. So this is what Panthers fans are up in arms about. And I get it. As a fan, I could totally swallow on season thrown away in exchange for fiscal freedom were my team in that situation.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Dacitykats
Rookie

Dacitykats could make a wolverine purr.Dacitykats could make a wolverine purr.Dacitykats could make a wolverine purr.Dacitykats could make a wolverine purr.Dacitykats could make a wolverine purr.Dacitykats could make a wolverine purr.Dacitykats could make a wolverine purr.

in no way, shape or form are the panthers comfortable with their WR depth. 89 is getting older, LaFell disappers often, and after that you have a bunch of question marks. it is a reason why the panthers have been working out top prospects the WR position. something needs to done with the RB spot as well. no way should a RB have a $8.2 million hit, let alone he is #2 on the depth chart. if Gettleman does not fix this, then how is he any different then Hurney. same goes for Beason's contract, that needs to be addressed as well.
Dacitykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:19 PM    (permalink
Dacitykats
Rookie

Dacitykats could make a wolverine purr.Dacitykats could make a wolverine purr.Dacitykats could make a wolverine purr.Dacitykats could make a wolverine purr.Dacitykats could make a wolverine purr.Dacitykats could make a wolverine purr.Dacitykats could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I don't know why people are concerned about the Panthers, they finished the season very strongly and appear to be on the verge of a breakout season. They could definitely be a contender this coming season so why would they want to gut the team now and rebuild, that's for rotten franchises like Oakland. They are only as player or 2 from a real playoff run and they can get those in this deep draft.
they always finish strong, when they are offically out of the playoff hunt. this team needs mre weapons on the outside as bad as anyone.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cam would loooooove to get a guy like Keenan Allen or Cordarrelle Patterson. Steve Smith seems like a great mentor for him and is still playing at a high level, but they need to find a wideout for Cam to grow with.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Dacitykats
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
Cam would loooooove to get a guy like Keenan Allen or Cordarrelle Patterson. Steve Smith seems like a great mentor for him and is still playing at a high level, but they need to find a wideout for Cam to grow with.
yep he would. i have never seen another team who has not put weapons on the outside for their young QB. panthers have worked out Patterson, Hopkins, Austin, Bailey, was at UT pro day and have a future workout with Allen.they will be adressing thw WR position early.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:31 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacitykats View Post
in no way, shape or form are the panthers comfortable with their WR depth. 89 is getting older, LaFell disappers often, and after that you have a bunch of question marks. it is a reason why the panthers have been working out top prospects the WR position. something needs to done with the RB spot as well. no way should a RB have a $8.2 million hit, let alone he is #2 on the depth chart. if Gettleman does not fix this, then how is he any different then Hurney. same goes for Beason's contract, that needs to be addressed as well.
That is what I was asking about as far as the cap savings this year or next. It sounds like cutting these overpaid players now wouldn't help much now. If Gettleman cuts those 4 players now the team would be better off in the long haul, but has only freed up $3 million for this year. You can't replace those players with anything near that level of talent for $3 million. It sounds to me like he is between a rock and a hard place, so the best move is probably to play out the 2013 season with these guys and make the appropriate moves next year when cutting some fat will actually improve the situation. Maybe it won't help as much as it would now, but you simply cannot field Cam Newton and 49 stiffs in his 3rd year.

To answer your question, he is different than Hurney by not continuing to make the same kind of poor contract decisions. This ship will right itself simply by not throwing tens of millions of dollars at the wrong guys. It just may not right itself as fast as you would like.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 PM    (permalink
MikeTheDudeV2
Rookie

MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.

As much as I want a new WR, we are in much more desperate need for a DT and a CB to help us out.

I really want Carolina to take Sheldon Richardson at #14. I really would love it if he became our version of Warren Sapp terrorizing QBs. His natural motor and hustle would also give our Defense an identity to build around and would help out with our downright pathetic Run Defense.
MikeTheDudeV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheDudeV2 View Post
As much as I want a new WR, we are in much more desperate need for a DT and a CB to help us out.

I really want Carolina to take Sheldon Richardson at #14. I really would love it if he became our version of Warren Sapp terrorizing QBs. His natural motor and hustle would also give our Defense an identity to build around and would help out with our downright pathetic Run Defense.
Sheldon Richardson would not help out our run defense. That is very far from his forte.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:49 PM    (permalink
MikeTheDudeV2
Rookie

MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.MikeTheDudeV2 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
Sheldon Richardson would not help out our run defense. That is very far from his forte.
He's much better at it than he is given credit for. And I do feel like he is one of those people who would have a good influence on those around him, making others less lethargic about getting to the runners quickly, strongly, and finishing the plays. He's not perfect, clearly. But I feel like he's the best piece we could add from this draft.
MikeTheDudeV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacitykats View Post
they always finish strong, when they are offically out of the playoff hunt. this team needs mre weapons on the outside as bad as anyone.
Newton will be in his 3rd season, while they could use some help, which NFL team doesn't need help? I think they are on the verge of being special and could easily be a playoff team next season. It would be ridiculous to explode the team by cutting salary for next year. That may be needed in a 2 or 3 years but next season just isn't the right time.
They have the draft to pick up the necessary pieces for a playoff run.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:49 PM    (permalink
Dacitykats
Rookie

Quote:
Newton will be in his 3rd season, while they could use some help, which NFL team doesn't need help? I think they are on the verge of being special and could easily be a playoff team next season. It would be ridiculous to explode the team by cutting salary for next year. That may be needed in a 2 or 3 years but next season just isn't the right time.
of course every NFL team needs help, but the panthers have so many needs at the same positions for years. this team has $40 plus million on RBs and almost that amount on LBs in a 4-3. the #2 RB on the depth chart has a $8.2 million hit and he turns 30 this year. you do not need to explode this just yet, but you do need to start getting rid of some of these bad contracts asap.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:10 PM    (permalink
Dacitykats
Rookie

Quote:
That is what I was asking about as far as the cap savings this year or next. It sounds like cutting these overpaid players now wouldn't help much now. If Gettleman cuts those 4 players now the team would be better off in the long haul, but has only freed up $3 million for this year. You can't replace those players with anything near that level of talent for $3 million. It sounds to me like he is between a rock and a hard place, so the best move is probably to play out the 2013 season with these guys and make the appropriate moves next year when cutting some fat will actually improve the situation. Maybe it won't help as much as it would now, but you simply cannot field Cam Newton and 49 stiffs in his 3rd year.

To answer your question, he is different than Hurney by not continuing to make the same kind of poor contract decisions. This ship will right itself simply by not throwing tens of millions of dollars at the wrong guys. It just may not right itself as fast as you would like.
cutting DWill as a june 1st cut would have saved some money this year and next. in a crowded backfield with Stewart and Tolbert, he could have been replaced easily. Beason contract is tricky because of the money. Cam has been playing on a inferior team his 1st two years and his 3rd will be the same especially with so many bad contracts.
panthers need upgrades at WR, DT, OG, S, CB, OT. this organization hasnt had a winning season since 08 when the Cards ran them off the field. Fox was let go 2 seasons too late, when Hurney was also part of the problem. not showing him the door with Fox has set this organization back for at least another year.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:01 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Panthers, more than any team in this draft, need to trade down and get at least a 3rd to replace the one they're missing. There will still be a good player for them if they trade back to the 18-24 range or so. Something involving SF's first 2 picks would be interesting as well. Ideally they'd come out of this draft with a RT,WR,DT and CB that could make significant contributions next year.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I see. So this is what Panthers fans are up in arms about. And I get it. As a fan, I could totally swallow on season thrown away in exchange for fiscal freedom were my team in that situation.
This is exactly what the Raiders are doing, dropping salary and taking the cap hit medicine now. Next year, our cap will be cleared. The longer the Panthers take to get these big money low production guys off the books, the more years they waste with a great young QB who is overworked in the offense.

Last edited by Black Bolt : 03-26-2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:28 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
LMAO. Special? With overpaid, injured and older players at key positions? You are dreaming. You put all this emphasis on winning games at the end of the season which means absolutely nothing. The fact of the matter is that the Panthers failed to make any improvements save for the MLB position last year and thus far this year, thy haven't done JACK to improve. They lost Anderson but kept the oft injured Beason, they lost Gamble to retirement of all things, both overpaid low production RBs remain on the team and there aren't enough balls to take advantage of Tolbert, they didn't acquire any WRs for Cam, and you say they are on the verge of something special?? Maybe you know something we don't.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:28 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bolt View Post
This is exactly what the Raiders are doing, dropping salary and taking the cap hit medicine now. Next year, our cap will be cleared. The longer the Panthers take to get these big money low production guys off the books, the more years they waste with a great young QB who is overworked in the offense.
The difference is that Oakland isn't even close to being a competitive team, they are a permanent bottom feeder who might as well cut veterans and start all over again, that is their only hope. Carolina has a franchise QB, came on as gang busters late last season and are in a position to make a serious playoff run this coming season, why would they cut veterans and start over when they are so close. It would make zero sense.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:36 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bolt View Post
LMAO. Special? With overpaid, injured and older players at key positions? You are dreaming. You put all this emphasis on winning games at the end of the season which means absolutely nothing. The fact of the matter is that the Panthers failed to make any improvements save for the MLB position last year and thus far this year, thy haven't done JACK to improve. They lost Anderson but kept the oft injured Beason, they lost Gamble to retirement of all things, both overpaid low production RBs remain on the team and there aren't enough balls to take advantage of Tolbert, they didn't acquire any WRs for Cam, and you say they are on the verge of something special?? Maybe you know something we don't.
Well, the coming season will decide if they are close or not. Winning never means nothing, it is often a sign that the team could be on the verge of success. When you have a franchise QB like Carolina does, you are always a contender and starting all over is just a waste of your QB's talents. Comparing them to Oakland is absurd.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:19 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Well, the coming season will decide if they are close or not. Winning never means nothing, it is often a sign that the team could be on the verge of success. When you have a franchise QB like Carolina does, you are always a contender and starting all over is just a waste of your QB's talents. Comparing them to Oakland is absurd.
I only compared the cap situation, not the two franchises as a whole. Poor management is the name of the game. Don't forget that two years ago, the earned the #1 pick in the draft.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:00 AM    (permalink
NorrinRadd12
Rookie

NorrinRadd12 could make a wolverine purr.NorrinRadd12 could make a wolverine purr.NorrinRadd12 could make a wolverine purr.NorrinRadd12 could make a wolverine purr.NorrinRadd12 could make a wolverine purr.NorrinRadd12 could make a wolverine purr.

Carolina is no way in position to make a serious playoff run and they're already wasting Newton's talents by letting 4 bad contracts handcuff their ability to put a good roster behind him.

And with the impending release of McClain the Raiders are going to be $73.5M UNDER the cap next year and that include Palmer's ridiculous $17.3M cap number (they would gain $10M in cap room releasing/trading him next year). While Carolina is going to be the in the EXACT same position next year: picking between 9-16 with ZERO cap space.

The Raiders get it. The Panthers don't.
NorrinRadd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:52 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Carolina is no way in position to make a serious playoff run and they're already wasting Newton's talents by letting 4 bad contracts handcuff their ability to put a good roster behind him.

And with the impending release of McClain the Raiders are going to be $73.5M UNDER the cap next year and that include Palmer's ridiculous $17.3M cap number (they would gain $10M in cap room releasing/trading him next year). While Carolina is going to be the in the EXACT same position next year: picking between 9-16 with ZERO cap space.

The Raiders get it. The Panthers don't.
Thank you. And along the current trend, they just freed up another 4.5 by letting go of Tommy Kelly. The current management understands it's a two year process for us. We will have a ton of cap room as well as a full compliment of draft picks, plus some comp picks free agents that have gotten picked up and will play a lot like like Meyers, Bryant, Wheeler, etc.

Last edited by Black Bolt : 03-27-2013 at 10:55 AM.