Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-26-2013, 03:41 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Speaking of the 2012 draft class...

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...k-in-2013.html
Honestly, im not really expecting anything from any of them in 2013. The only possible exception could be Robinson starting at FS. Other than that, we'll have to wait another year unless injuries occur. As for interior linemen, I would still draft Jones at 31. Great value and would fit in perfectly with the reast of the OL. Regardless of that, if Goodwin is still the starting center in 2013, that would mean that Kilgore wouldnt start until 2014 which would be his contract year and more importantly, says that they dont think he's ready or good enough to start at center since thats the only spot on the OL that could be upgraded/open. Most wouldnt be happy with Jones but I would be because just look at how awesome the OL could be. They're arguably the best OL in the NFL already and when you eliminate the weak link and upgrade it with a young stud center who can be with Kaepernick for a long time, they go from arguably the best OL in the NFL to easily the best OL in the NFL. :)
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Norcal3518
Rookie

Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...niners-saints/

Looks like Asomugha is choosing between us and the saints. I think money comes a factor here and he signs with NO. Rob Ryan is there and he coached him in OAK so i think that plays a small factor as well. I would like Aso but it would have to be at the right price.
Norcal3518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:08 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
Poor Amerson, dude gave up like 3 TDs. He must have seen dollars being taken directly out of his pocket every time a WR ran by him for another TD. Pretty embarrassing.
But the thing is, he's such a physically a gifted athlete. He's almost a Cully clone. Except he's actually bigger 6'1, 205 lbs. His ten yard split at the Combine was 1.50, which is crazy for a guy that big. And he has the best ball skills of any CB in this draft. He made some truly acrobatic interceptions in 2011. Its just that his bad tape in 2012 is really bad.

If he's going to make it as a CB in the NFL, he'll have to do it as a press CB. NC State had him playing way off WRs almost exclusively, which hurt him last year. He rarely was in press coverage, which doesn't make much sense given his size. He didn't look as fast as he timed so there's some mystery about his game speed but his anticipation and ball skills in zone coverage are top notch. He was a heralded safety prospect in HS so it wouldn't be out of the question if he plays there. But he just seems like a guy Baalke would like based on his measurables and supposed versatility.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-26-2013 at 05:11 PM.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:13 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal3518 View Post
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...niners-saints/

Looks like Asomugha is choosing between us and the saints. I think money comes a factor here and he signs with NO. Rob Ryan is there and he coached him in OAK so i think that plays a small factor as well. I would like Aso but it would have to be at the right price.
I pray he chooses the Saints...
Old 03-26-2013, 10:20 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So we have all given up on the Aso signing and are moving on?What all happened to Woodson too did he give up on us and we choose cheaper guys instead ?
49erNation85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:00 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nnamdi just looked so bad last year. Really hard to get behind that potential signing. I'd go for Richard Seymour on a cheap, 1-year deal though. That's probably just my nostalgia talking since he was an absolute favorite of mine for years. And he has a ton of that experience as a 3-4 DE that kicks inside to DT which we do a lot. Mainly to strengthen the rotation and give rest which we all saw was necessary.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:25 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Except for the Taylor Mays pick ;). That was a crazy story about him and Singletary nearly coming to blows over that pick.
I've heard there is some footage of this but I cannot find it, does anybody have it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:58 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Nnamdi just looked so bad last year. Really hard to get behind that potential signing. I'd go for Richard Seymour on a cheap, 1-year deal though. That's probably just my nostalgia talking since he was an absolute favorite of mine for years. And he has a ton of that experience as a 3-4 DE that kicks inside to DT which we do a lot. Mainly to strengthen the rotation and give rest which we all saw was necessary.
I don't question Baalke alot but I fail to see what Aso brings to the defense. To me, he's just a big CB who still has some ability but has obviously lost a step. What does he actually bring to the table that we don't already have? The only thing that makes sense to me is he's a taller CB but that shouldn't be the only selling point. Not really in favor of Woodson at this point either but, at least he has more versatility and plays primarily at a position of need. If Baalke wants more length, then draft it. Doesn't make sense to me to throw money away on guys past their prime, knowing our cap situation.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:27 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't question Baalke alot but I fail to see what Aso brings to the defense. To me, he's just a big CB who still has some ability but has obviously lost a step. What does he actually bring to the table that we don't already have? The only thing that makes sense to me is he's a taller CB but that shouldn't be the only selling point. Not really in favor of Woodson at this point either but, at least he has more versatility and plays primarily at a position of need. If Baalke wants more length, then draft it. Doesn't make sense to me to throw money away on guys past their prime, knowing our cap situation.
We're probably not offering much in terms of salary and starting spots for either Woodson/Aso. If we were it would probably be a done deal already.

I just wish Nnamdi would make up his freaking mind, its been 2 weeks now.

BTW i think we only have about 4.4 million in cap space now per Maiocco. We need some money for our draft class and a little insurance in case someone gets injured. I think we'll have to create around 2-3M more in cap space somehow, through a cut, extension, or restructure.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 03-27-2013 at 02:31 AM.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:56 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
BTW i think we only have about 4.4 million in cap space now per Maiocco. We need some money for our draft class and a little insurance in case someone gets injured. I think we'll have to create around 2-3M more in cap space somehow, through a cut, extension, or restructure.
Another reason why im hoping we draft C Barrett Jones is so we can release Goodwin which according to ninercaphell.com, we would save $4.35m in cap room. Dont know about anyone else here but I obviously would have no problem with saying goodbye to Goodwin. Other than him, I honestly dont see any player that would/could be cut to save cap room especially after Haralson and Manningham took paycuts. There's really no one else left as I dont see Rogers being released. If he's released before June 1st, the team would save $1.1m. As a June 1st cut, the team would save a "fairly significant amount more". However, if he's on the team as of April 1st, his entire $3.9m base salary becomes guaranteed so he's not going anywhere with or without us signing Asomugha. To me, Goodwin is the perfect cut.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:16 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Like I said before I'm fine with the corners we have. Maybe if they want to draft a guy to bring some competition in or whatever, but I wouldn't mind rolling with the same crew as last season. Brown, Rogers, Culliver, Cox, and Brock are a good group. Don't really get the Asomugha move.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:22 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Another reason why im hoping we draft C Barrett Jones is so we can release Goodwin which according to ninercaphell.com, we would save $4.35m in cap room. Dont know about anyone else here but I obviously would have no problem with saying goodbye to Goodwin. Other than him, I honestly dont see any player that would/could be cut to save cap room especially after Haralson and Manningham took paycuts. There's really no one else left as I dont see Rogers being released. If he's released before June 1st, the team would save $1.1m. As a June 1st cut, the team would save a "fairly significant amount more". However, if he's on the team as of April 1st, his entire $3.9m base salary becomes guaranteed so he's not going anywhere with or without us signing Asomugha. To me, Goodwin is the perfect cut.
Goodwin is the "weak link" talent-wise on a very talented O-Line but he's a very valuable player and respected leader among the other younger O-Linemen. It wouldn't be a complete nightmare should he be let go for a worthy replacement, but he has much more value than what you're seeing in him. The Niners haven't released him or asked him to take a pay cut, showing that they value him as well and don't want to risk losing him at this point by taking a cut. The FO will be able to get the rookie salaries within the available cap space. They've done very well with managing the cap.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:08 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
Goodwin is the "weak link" talent-wise on a very talented O-Line but he's a very valuable player and respected leader among the other younger O-Linemen. It wouldn't be a complete nightmare should he be let go for a worthy replacement, but he has much more value than what you're seeing in him. The Niners haven't released him or asked him to take a pay cut, showing that they value him as well and don't want to risk losing him at this point by taking a cut. The FO will be able to get the rookie salaries within the available cap space. They've done very well with managing the cap.
I think that Goodwin is a good veteran center but at the same time, he's 34 years old and going into the final year of his three year contract. A replacement/upgrade will be needed either way and I dont think that Kilgore is ready to be a starting center yet and only the coaching staff knows for sure. If we draft a center, then that says a lot about what they think about Kilgore. Also, if Goodwin stays for 2013, we'll have Kilgore as a possible replacement in 2014 with him also being in the final year of his contract.

Going back to back years with a center who's starting with one year left doesnt sound good to me. I prefer to have the OL solidified and care more about the offense than the defense because of Kaepernick. Want the OL to be easily the best and most dominant in the NFL. Keeping Goodwin for 2013 and then going with Kilgore in 2014 and possibly someone else in 2015 is something I dont like at all.

I prefer to draft Jones under a cheap five year rookie contract, release Goodwin and extend Kilgore as a backup to Jones. Aside from Kilgore, all we have is Looney. We still need a backup LT, RG and RT. Or at the very least one more OT. Also, with Jones as the starting center, Kaepernick has stability in front of him for the next half decade and to me, thats important.

As for free agents, Huff signed with the Ravens not that we were going to sign him. Dont really care about Asomugha but I would like to see us sign Woodson to play FS for a year as opposed to going into 2013 with a rookie FS which I must admit, I dont like at all.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:59 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just saw today from Barrows that the Niners are one of several teams scheduled to meet with Cyprien, and they have a confirmed meeting with Tavon Austin coming up.

Cyprien could easily be the pick. He is very good in coverage and is just beginning to scratch the surface of his potential.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:53 PM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Just saw today from Barrows that the Niners are one of several teams scheduled to meet with Cyprien, and they have a confirmed meeting with Tavon Austin coming up.

Cyprien could easily be the pick. He is very good in coverage and is just beginning to scratch the surface of his potential.
Cyprien is my #2 ranked Safety after Vacarro.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:25 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:

He ran good at his Pro Day so that makes sense. I still say, for 3 years now, no beat reporter has ever documented a meeting or a workout with one of our picks so I'm still going to say its a smokescreen until draft day. Baalke and staff usually don't let anything leak about players they really like, to the media. Guess we'll see...
Old 03-27-2013, 11:10 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cyprien , really ugh why ? We could easily get a better pick out of Elam or Reid in the first couple of picks. oh well. I guess we're not going CB first two picks.
49erNation85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:19 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'd rather wait out the last year of Goodwin's contract. I'd like to keep that intact, it's a crucial position....I'm a little nervous about winning a Super Bowl with a rookie Center for some reason.

Quote:
Old 03-28-2013, 12:26 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Like I said before I'm fine with the corners we have. Maybe if they want to draft a guy to bring some competition in or whatever, but I wouldn't mind rolling with the same crew as last season. Brown, Rogers, Culliver, Cox, and Brock are a good group. Don't really get the Asomugha move.
I would not be cool OK with us not adding at least a future #2 corner at the very least. I cannot stand Carlos Rodgers, let me clarify, I cannot stand Carlos Rodgers' contract. He's declining so fast that it's scary, who can this guy cover one on one? And for 7.3 million this year? CB is a huge need because of his $hit!y contract.

Quote:
Old 03-28-2013, 12:30 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post
Cyprien is my #2 ranked Safety after Vacarro.
IMO the difference between Cyprien and Swearinger/Rambo/Phillip Thomas is negligible. I don't think Cyprien is a good value unless he slips to #61, which is unlikely. One of the aforementioned safeties will be available @ # 74. Let's use the safety depth to our advantage, not squander it.

Quote:
Old 03-28-2013, 12:31 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
Cyprien , really ugh why ? We could easily get a better pick out of Elam or Reid in the first couple of picks. oh well. I guess we're not going CB first two picks.
What does our Safety pick have to do with where we pick a CB?

Quote:
Old 03-28-2013, 12:41 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
He ran good at his Pro Day so that makes sense. I still say, for 3 years now, no beat reporter has ever documented a meeting or a workout with one of our picks so I'm still going to say its a smokescreen until draft day. Baalke and staff usually don't let anything leak about players they really like, to the media. Guess we'll see...
On an unrelated note, I was at Oakland Airport this morning at 5 am for a 6am flight to LA and shared a flight with Reggie McKenzie and Dennis Allen (they were obviously on the way to the USC pro day, which I tweeted like the stalker that I am..) I wished the GM and Coach, "Good luck with your scouting trip", Reggie repsonded with a sleepy, "Alright", Dennis Allen responded with a slightly more chipper, "thanks"...lol....for a draft dork it was actually pretty cool to know where they were going when I saw they were on a flight to LA......made me really jealous that they get paid a premium salary to do what we obsess over for free.....I wanted to go to the USC Pro Day with them!!

Quote:
Old 03-28-2013, 01:41 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
I'd rather wait out the last year of Goodwin's contract. I'd like to keep that intact, it's a crucial position....I'm a little nervous about winning a Super Bowl with a rookie Center for some reason.
I understand your point but honestly, I wouldnt be worried if we drafted Jones to start at center. If Kilgore was to beat out Goodwin, considering that he hasnt started at center in his two year career, it would be the same as having a rookie because neither have actually started at the position in the NFL.

Reasons why I want Jones is 1) because he would solidify the OL for years to come, 2) would be under a cheap rookie contract for at least four years, 3) would be with Kaepernick for the same amount of time, 4) could release Goodwin and save $4m+ in cap room, 5) can keep Kilgore as the backup center, 6) I dont think any safety or corner after Vaccaro/Milliner/Trufant is worth taking at 31, 7) and I dont want them to draft a NT because with our LB core being the best in the NFL, a NT at 31 isnt needed at all.

Quote:
I would not be cool OK with us not adding at least a future #2 corner at the very least. I cannot stand Carlos Rodgers, let me clarify, I cannot stand Carlos Rodgers' contract. He's declining so fast that it's scary, who can this guy cover one on one? And for 7.3 million this year? CB is a huge need because of his $hit!y contract.
I'm hoping we add TWO cornerbacks in the draft. One to be the starter in 2014 opposite Culliver with Cox and Brock as backups. The other cornerback would be Tyrann Mathieu just because I love his ability for causing turnovers. For a fourth rounder, I think that he's worth the risk and gamble.

As for Rogers, I agree 100% and no matter what anyone else says, I truly believe that if we didnt re-sign him last year, Goldson would still be a 49er in my opinion. Rogers did decline in 2012 (just like I said he would) and isnt worth what he's getting paid but on the bright side, its pretty much a guarantee that in a year from now, he'll be ex-49er Carlos Rogers. :)
Old 03-28-2013, 02:51 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
I understand your point but honestly, I wouldn't be worried if we drafted Jones to start at center. If Kilgore was to beat out Goodwin, considering that he hasnt started at center in his two year career, it would be the same as having a rookie because neither have actually started at the position in the NFL.

Reasons why I want Jones is 1) because he would solidify the OL for years to come, 2) would be under a cheap rookie contract for at least four years, 3) would be with Kaepernick for the same amount of time, 4) could release Goodwin and save $4m+ in cap room, 5) can keep Kilgore as the backup center, 6) I dont think any safety or corner after Vaccaro/Milliner/Trufant is worth taking at 31, 7) and I dont want them to draft a NT because with our LB core being the best in the NFL, a NT at 31 isnt needed at all.

I'm hoping we add TWO cornerbacks in the draft. One to be the starter in 2014 opposite Culliver with Cox and Brock as backups. The other cornerback would be Tyrann Mathieu just because I love his ability for causing turnovers. For a fourth rounder, I think that he's worth the risk and gamble.

As for Rogers, I agree 100% and no matter what anyone else says, I truly believe that if we didnt re-sign him last year, Goldson would still be a 49er in my opinion. Rogers did decline in 2012 (just like I said he would) and isnt worth what he's getting paid but on the bright side, its pretty much a guarantee that in a year from now, he'll be ex-49er Carlos Rogers. :)

Whether or not TB will be back next year will depend on his play next year and his market value.....due to his contract expiring, the combination of both leads me to believe that he has a less than 50% chance of being resigned(pure guess). He is only a slightly above average CB IMO anyway. If you watch "ALL 22" tape, he really does very little that can be called special, but he plays pretty safe, has a good grasp of our system, and makes relatively few mistakes, but is this a guy you open up your checkbook for? Probably not.

No way in hell that Rodgers sees his inflated $8.1 million next year. Which means that we will indeed likely need (2) new corners before next season starts (hate to look too far forward but it's my nature), this can partially be done via free agency which is why I was an advocate of signing Sean Smith and releasing TB ( see prior salary cap reasons posted many times....TB 3.6 mill savings...).

Cutting Rodgers next year also leaves us with a $1.5 million cap penalty for 2014 and 2015 ($3million total) which is why I continue to state that Rodgers' contract may be the worst of the entire roster....(why can't we admit this and stop kissing Baalke's a$$?).He miscalculated, the CB market went down the next year, lets not be in denial about this.

Quote:

Last edited by Shupp : 03-28-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:13 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
) I dont think any safety or corner after Vaccaro/Milliner/Trufant is worth taking at 31,
What if Trufant is still there? Or Rhodes? What about a stud DE like Datone Jones?WR Justin Hunter? Would you really have Barrett Jones above all these guys?

Quote: