Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 03-27-2013, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Comps were handed out already. We received 1 pick. A 7th rounder I believe. Maybe a 6th?
We got a 7th round comp pick. I had missed that
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:55 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With the passing game getting more dominant, the recent trend has been 1 gap defenses, with smaller lighter personnel who can run.

I think the read option and this evolution in the run game may bring back the 2 gap 34 front. The 2 gap 34 is very good vs the run and very sound. The problem with it, and the reason why it died for the most part as a defense is it's not great vs the pass. Not in today's game at least bc of the new coverage rules. You can't beat guys up anymore and that's what that defense relied on.

It makes me wonder if we start seeing that again though.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We did go and consult with college teams about how to defend the read option.

It does seem we are doing a definate transiton this offseason.

We have a legit pass rusher DT in Jenkins.

We are likely moving JPP to LDE and Tuck to RDE.

We are moving Kiwanuka back to DE (most likely), which is a better fit in my opinion.

We have more speed and athleticism at LB with Connor, Rivers and Williams as the incumbent starters and Herzlich and Paysinger in the mix. I think Conner can do a similar job in the middle to what Pozlunszy did for Fewell at the middle in Buffalo

Our secondary depth is very good.

I am sure our players will be much more focused and motivated, but I am really looking forward to seeing what tweaks we have schematically. There has definately been some thinking and planning over the offseason.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thanks for all the memories Chase!!

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:54 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Thanks for all the memories Chase!!
Chase was solid and got the job done as a run stuffer. I think we have significantly upgraded with Connor to be honest.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:33 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Osi officially gone now also. My favorite defensive Giant for a long while. He'll be missed. :(

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Osi will be missed, but such is the salary cap.

I think Osi believed he would get more than the two year $8.5m deal he got (significantly less than the one year deal he got last year)

It is clear that Osi believed he was worth more than he was.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:43 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

The latest of the Mara clan has joined NYG

Quote:
Former Notre Dame Director of Personnel Tim McDonnell Joins New York
Giants Staff as Scout
March 27th, 2013 at 2:00 PM
By Doug Rush

Tim McDonnell's ties to the New York Giants are no secret. He's the grandson to late Giants owner Wellington Mara and the nephew to current Giants owner John Mara.

Over the last eight seasons, McDonnell has been with Notre Dame as their Director of Player Personnel. On Wednesday, Jenny Vrentas of the Newark-Star Ledger reported that McDonnell is leaving South Bend to land a job working for his family.

"Confirmed that Notre Dame Dir. of Football Personnel Tim McDonnell (Wellington Mara's grandson) joining Giants as pro personnel scout," Vrentas tweeted.

McDonnell will join the Giants staff in 2013 as a pro personnel scout, a role in which current Giants General Manager Jerry Reese had at one time. Reese eventually moved up to Director of Player Personnel in 2002 and got promoted in 2007 to general manager after then-GM Ernie Accorsi retired.

McDonnell was hired in 2005 by then Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis as a quality control coordinator and then got the director job in 2009 and remained in the role even when Brian Kelly took the reigns from Weis.

While with the Fighting Irish, McDonnell most recent accomplishments include coordinating the walk-on program and served as a liaison between the university and the NFL.

Now, McDonnell will work at the pro level and be a scout under Reese, as well as working for his uncle in the family business.

http://www.giants101.com/2013/03/27/...cout/#comments
Old 03-27-2013, 10:51 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Tim McDonnell will know Notre Dame players very well.

We will certainly know everything that is needed to know about Teo and other ND players, both on and off the field.

I admit I am not a fan of Teo at the moment, but this could be largely based on what I hear from the hype machines (both for and against). If we were to draft Teo, it would be because he is a much better player than people believe. I would happily defer to people with more expertise and knowledge in this situation.

I was unaware of the family connection, but you can be sure that Jerry Reese has a very good understanding of where Manti Teo stands as a football prospect.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 03-27-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:13 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't mind Teo at all IF we traded down a bit. I think 19 is too early but if we moved down from 19 to 25-31 and picked up maybe a 3rd rounder in the process, I'd be happy with Teo.

We might look to this regardless. Even if Teo isn't the target. With the flat cap we will be right up against the next couple of years, we might want to hoard draft picks for cheap talent.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really really don't want Teo at all. I rather reach for Arthur Brown than get Teo.

Not sure how I feel about Oggletree right now either. I'm starting to sour a little bit.

DB seems to be bpa right now at 19. Whether its CB or S. We need both anyway.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think that we're gonna make a surprise pick and grab a guy like Kevin Minter at 19. just a weird feeling I've got
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:33 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I'm starting to get that feeling too. It's gonna be someone none of us have on our radar. I have a huge list of guys I like. I can literally name you 10 guys I wouldn't mind at 19, but watch it wind up being none of those guys.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:34 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I hope it's not Teo, Montgomery, Werner, Jones, or Moore.

Those are 5 guys on my bad list.

Minter is on my meh list.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:38 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Please no Te'o. We don't need a circus for a LB who's at best going to be mediocre in the NFL.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 AM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What would everyone's feelings be if we drafted either Jonathan Cyprien or Matt Elam?

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:22 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IMO, Minter is a 2nd round talent and shouldn't be the Giant's pick at 19. The Giants are in a position to wait to see who is available but I think it will be an OG or a Safety who will hold value at that pick.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:29 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUGiants17 View Post
What would everyone's feelings be if we drafted either Jonathan Cyprien or Matt Elam?
Elam is more of an in the box safety so even though I like him I don't think he's a good fit for what we need right now.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Yeah I rather have Cyprien. I think Will Hill has our SS position on lock for the future.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:02 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be fine with either, but not at 19. At all. Values not there at all
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:47 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

The safeties in this class are gaining so much momentum right now you might see all 3 or at 2 of them go in the 1st round. So from a value perspective, you might have to get one at 19 if you want 1 of the 3 bc they won't be there in the 2nd round.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:21 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Cyprien a lot... in round 2. However, that is probably not a possibility. If we don't go O-line in round 1 I can definitely Barrett Jones in Big Blue.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:41 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
The safeties in this class are gaining so much momentum right now you might see all 3 or at 2 of them go in the 1st round. So from a value perspective, you might have to get one at 19 if you want 1 of the 3 bc they won't be there in the 2nd round.
but there's such little separation between those top 2 or 3 than the rest of the class, IMO, that you can wait
Quote:
Old 03-28-2013, 01:45 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
but there's such little separation between those top 2 or 3 than the rest of the class, IMO, that you can wait
I don't know, you can catch yourself making mistakes when you do that. If you have a need and the guy on the board is graded high at that need, I think you go for it. At the end of the day, if he's better than the other guys he's better than the other guys, why wait and gamble?
Old 03-28-2013, 02:09 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Cyprien a lot, but I don't want him at 19 and he won't be there round 2 so I doubt we take him. I would love to get Eric Reid round 2 though, I think he is going to be a beast in the pros.

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote