Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-28-2013, 05:07 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLatJerrahJones View Post
Safety, ahhhhh, been talking safety since 2006 draft right? Guard too. Yet here we are again.

Jerrah is taking Matt Barkley, bank it.
As sad as it is, you have a point. I think safety is in play for us every year -- never happens.

If we took Barkley, I'd have to drive up to LA and go Tonya Harding on his knee. I've watched almost every game Barkley has played in his USC career, missed maybe 4 or 5 in 4 years, and I wouldn't take him at all.

I don't care if he slipped to the 3rd round. He'll never be close to what Romo is and if we can't win with Romo, we wouldn't stand a a chance with Barkley.
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:10 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
This is definitely Jerry's trump card. No sense to make a move now as it doesn't help the current situation. Makes me wonder how much Fluker is in play at 18. That pick would make me pretty mad. But I could grow to like it. Not sure what he gives us over Parnell...but maybe the organization would see it differently. This is currently my worst case scenario I think.
I don't really like Fluker's feet as much as I thought I would. I like him better at RG. I feel like he struggles with speed rushers on the edge.

Pretty much same boat as you, I'll probably wish we took someone else, but if he plays well all is forgiven.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:14 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I don't think they are as high on Johnson as the Dallas media is. Hell the signing of Allen shows the Garrett see's we needed another body and see's it as a hole. I think ultimately it's going to come down to who is on the board. If we want one of the top safeties were going to have to get them in the 1st. If we want Cooper or Warmack...they are going to have to be there. Nice consolation is that you can find starters at both positions in this class on the 2nd day.
I can only hope. I have no idea how you could have that much confidence in a 4th round guy who's never played.

But I agree. Good thing about interior line and safety is starters will be ail able throughout the 2nd and possibly into the mid 3rd.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Gotta remember with Jerrah, no logic ever matters. Jerrah wants to prove he is smarter then everyone by making the most asinine reaches so that way the 1 of 100 that hits he can claim to have a clue.
Wait, so now it is Ciskowshi's fault? I thought only Jerrah made good picks?
U Mad?

Jerry sucks at drafting. No ifs ands or buts about that. Look what happened in 2009. I hammered him plenty during the draft and after despite even our own fans telling me to give it time first. Oh well...

If you ask me, Ciskowski sucks at drafting too. I think whenever Jerry has relied upon him too much, it's been bad for us.

The drafts that were good, were drafts that were controlled/influenced by our HCs. Well.... Parcells and Garrett at least. Wade was just a puppet... but he did pick Anthony Spencer aka Mr. No Show until his contract year.

Good thing is Garrett will run the draft again. It's still to be seen what will become of the 2012 class. I'm not too thrilled about it. But at least Jerry doesn't have full control.

You hold grudges without any room for reason. That's why you aren't taken seriously. Jerry does bad, of course. He does good too. You still hate Dez?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:53 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
U Mad?

Jerry sucks at drafting. No ifs ands or buts about that. Look what happened in 2009. I hammered him plenty during the draft and after despite even our own fans telling me to give it time first. Oh well...

If you ask me, Ciskowski sucks at drafting too. I think whenever Jerry has relied upon him too much, it's been bad for us.

The drafts that were good, were drafts that were controlled/influenced by our HCs. Well.... Parcells and Garrett at least. Wade was just a puppet... but he did pick Anthony Spencer aka Mr. No Show until his contract year.

Good thing is Garrett will run the draft again. It's still to be seen what will become of the 2012 class. I'm not too thrilled about it. But at least Jerry doesn't have full control.

You hold grudges without any room for reason. That's why you aren't taken seriously. Jerry does bad, of course. He does good too. You still hate Dez?
The one thing I'll give Garrett credit for is talent eval. I think he's a much better evaluator than he is a leader of men. I believe he's a better coordinator than a HC for the same reason.

It's too bad Rob Ryan is so out of control at times. I think he really earns the respect of players, which is what I liked about him. But I anticipate a coach that acts like he does would also have a team that's too up & down. When things are good, they'll ride that momentum and crush you. When things aren't so good, disarray, panic, and collapse would likely follow. See: Ryan, Rex.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton View Post
The one thing I'll give Garrett credit for is talent eval. I think he's a much better evaluator than he is a leader of men. I believe he's a better coordinator than a HC for the same reason.

It's too bad Rob Ryan is so out of control at times. I think he really earns the respect of players, which is what I liked about him. But I anticipate a coach that acts like he does would also have a team that's too up & down. When things are good, they'll ride that momentum and crush you. When things aren't so good, disarray, panic, and collapse would likely follow. See: Ryan, Rex.
I loved Rob Ryan. One of my favorite coaches ever. He took blame all the time. He talked up the guys on the roster even if they were crappy. He motivated his players and even fans! Never afraid of the guys on the other sideline. Players respected him emmensly. I'm gonna really miss him and will hate seeing him on the sideline when we play the Saints.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:13 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
I loved Rob Ryan. One of my favorite coaches ever. He took blame all the time. He talked up the guys on the roster even if they were crappy. He motivated his players and even fans! Never afraid of the guys on the other sideline. Players respected him emmensly. I'm gonna really miss him and will hate seeing him on the sideline when we play the Saints.
Perfect D coordinator. Took Hatcher to another level. Made Brent into a capable starter. Lee & Carter looked like studs. Spencer had his best season...

Oh Jerry..
Old 03-28-2013, 07:37 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll

Quote:
U Mad?

1) Pointed noted on your flip flop.

2) Point 1

3) Still a loser. When he starts acting like an Adult, I might change my mind.

Last edited by BobTheCowboysTroll : 03-28-2013 at 07:40 PM.
BobTheCowboysTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
1) Pointed noted on your flip flop.

2) Point 1

3) Still a loser. When he starts acting like an Adult, I might change my mind.
Ya U Mad.

I've always given Jerry a fair evaluation. Criticism for doing bad, praise for doing good.

I was hyperbolic on that statement that Jerry completely sucks at drafting. He's never been bad 100% of the time. My mistake though. I forgot when it comes to your interpretation of things, it's always black or white.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:09 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

If Jerry didn't overrule Parcells on taking Ware before Spears, I'd probably have nothing good to say about him as GM.

And even with a move like that, I question where that knowledge came from. It's not like Jerry is personally breaking down tape of guys, especially a guy playing at Troy, so I wonder who his puppets are that feed him the draft info..

It's actually crazy when you think about it. Jerry & Stephen watching tape? I doubt it ever happens with as much stuff they have to do day to day running one of the top sports franchises in the world, the stadium, and whatever other businesses they have.

Even if Jerry did have an eye for talent, which I don't think he does, he doesn't have the time to use it.

So frustrating. The guy with the final say is basically just going off puppets and highlight reels. JG has calmed that storm over the past 2 years. I'll give him that.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton View Post
If Jerry didn't overrule Parcells on taking Ware before Spears, I'd probably have nothing good to say about him as GM.

And even with a move like that, I question where that knowledge came from. It's not like Jerry is personally breaking down tape of guys, especially a guy playing at Troy, so I wonder who his puppets are that feed him the draft info..

It's actually crazy when you think about it. Jerry & Stephen watching tape? I doubt it ever happens with as much stuff they have to do day to day running one of the top sports franchises in the world, the stadium, and whatever other businesses they have.

Even if Jerry did have an eye for talent, which I don't think he does, he doesn't have the time to use it.

So frustrating. The guy with the final say is basically just going off puppets and highlight reels. JG has calmed that storm over the past 2 years. I'll give him that.
Jerry is the guy who is in the room surrounded around all of his hired experts. Whatever they say, he listens to carefully and those words end up in his headlines. The truth of the matter is if the group hypes him up about a guy, then Jerry tries to get the player. He LOVES working those phones! He's a trader/negotiator/wheeler dealer at heart and he's actually pretty good at getting value in draft day trades.

Yes, he's muffed up in the past. To be fair, every team does over time. Yes, there have been years where the direction of the group was totally lacking. But when there IS a smart guy in the room... Jimmy, Bill... maybe Garrett (story yet to be told), you notice the Cowboys end up doing well.

When all is said and done, we have a lot of talent on this team. So, I don't think it's correct to constantly bash Jerry.

Coaching Hires - Garrett (so we're lead to believe)/Jerry
Player Contracts - Stephen
Draft - Garrett/Scouts
Trades - Jerry
Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Clarence Hill @clarencehilljr

Yes, Cowboys 2009 draft was bad. But the Cowboys draft bad period. Only 4 of 24 left from 08-10 drafts combined. Just 6 of 32 from 07-10
Thank you Wade Phillips era.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:25 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BTB went to the lions and steelers to get some inside info on Durant and Allen.

Good reads
Quote:
Justin Durant joined the Lions shortly after the end of the 2011 lockout. He immediately became a starter at outside linebacker, and he played a role in the Lions finally ending their playoff drought. This past season, Durant had the second-most tackles on the Lions, and the thinking was that the team would bring him back as a result. That didn't happen, though. The Lions instead opted to re-sign fellow outside linebacker DeAndre Levy, and they decided to give some of their younger linebackers a shot at taking over for Durant.

Durant became expendable with the Lions moving in another direction, but fans were sad to see him go. It won't take long for him to become a fan favorite off the field with his entertaining Twitter account, and on the field he is a pretty reliable outside linebacker. His pass coverage skills could be better, but he's really solid in stopping the run.
Quote:
Will Allen was brought in to play special teams, and ended up being one of the more important players on the Steelers' defense in 2012. Through six weeks, the team was struggling defensively, particularly against the pass. After Allen was inserted into the starting lineup opposite Ryan Clark (Troy Polamalu was injured much of the 2012 season), the Steelers defense came together.

He's played and started for a top-ranked defense and played in a Super Bowl. He's been around some of the best defensive players and minds in the game, and if not for a need the Steelers have to get younger at the position, I'd feel they would have wanted to keep him in town.

Allen matches the general make-up of what the Steelers look for in their safeties; he's very smart. It's been a position filled with academics, 1400+ SATs coaches kids and field generals. They even cut a Rhodes Scholar (Myron Rolle, who couldn't beat Allen out for a roster spot despite being several years younger and coming at approximately 1/5th the price). Allen stuck with this team for three seasons, and played some pretty outstanding football in 2012. He was well-respected among SteelerNation, and we wish him the best with the Cowboys in 2013 and beyond.

The Steelers lost two back-up safeties to the NFC East this offseason; Ryan Mundy signed with the Giants, and Will Allen signed with the Cowboys. Cowboys 1, Giants 0. And it's probably not that close.
makes you feel good about those signings....we will see if they can win the jobs.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:25 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Thank you Wade Phillips era.
AKA Jerry's reign. Wade was the biggest puppet I've ever seen.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Romo deal is imminent.

per the twitter world.

-Douglas MacArthur

Last edited by Macarthur : 03-29-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:57 PM    (permalink
primetime217
Rookie

primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.

Schefter just tweeted that we agreed on a 6 year extension with romo that will make him highest paid player in cowboys history. Hope we don't shoot ourselves in the foot with this.
primetime217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:03 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime217 View Post
Schefter just tweeted that we agreed on a 6 year extension with romo that will make him highest paid player in cowboys history. Hope we don't shoot ourselves in the foot with this.
RT @Edwerderespn: Cowboys-Romo close on extension. Will make him Cowboy for life and average $17-18M _ less than Brees, Flacco

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't care about the big number. It's the years and guaranteed money that matters.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:06 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I don't care about the big number. It's the years and guaranteed money that matters.
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 54s
And here are the numbers: Dallas is giving QB Tony Romo a six-year extension worth $108 million, per sources. 55 million guaranteed

Blogging The Boys ‏@BloggingTheBoys 31s
6 year extension, $108 million total, $55m guaranteed. $18m per year average. It's basically a 3 year guaranteed deal thru 2015

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Last edited by pocketaces : 03-29-2013 at 04:10 PM.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Good, so now can we get Brandon Moore?
Old 03-29-2013, 04:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 54s
And here are the numbers: Dallas is giving QB Tony Romo a six-year extension worth $108 million, per sources. 55 million guaranteed

Blogging The Boys ‏@BloggingTheBoys 31s
6 year extension, $108 million total, $55m guaranteed. $18m per year average. It's basically a 3 year guaranteed deal thru 2015
That's seems fair to me. The $18M per year average is blinding. He won't get that if cut. The $55M is the key and knowing how it's spread out.

...oh, and this is MUCH better news than hearing Anthony Spencer got a brand new deal. Keep that chump on the tag!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:19 PM    (permalink
primetime217
Rookie

primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.

Yeah I agree. Basically it's just a 3 year deal, but they gave themselves an extra 3 years after that to cover themselves for restructuring the contract
primetime217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's seems fair to me. The $18M per year average is blinding. He won't get that if cut. The $55M is the key and knowing how it's spread out.

...oh, and this is MUCH better news than hearing Anthony Spencer got a brand new deal. Keep that chump on the tag!
Excellent news. Very fair contract for both sides. If Romo continues his high level and play over the next three years it's worth it for Dallas. If Romo takes it to the next level it's worth it for him as he'll see further into the contract. Smart contract.

Stephen has certainly reigned in his dad with contracts IMHO.

Time to bring in Brandon Moore and still have room to resign our draft picks :)
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:22 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is 2013 included in that or does the 6-year extension start in 2014?
Old 03-29-2013, 04:22 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

I can't agree with giving him more guaranteed money than Flacco who is younger and has a Super Bowl.

Say what you will about Flacco's regular season stats or completion % -- he carried that team like a BOSS in the playoffs. Huge balls. Huge confidence. Basically the anti-Romo