Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-29-2013, 03:31 PM    (permalink
primetime217
Rookie

primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.

It doesn't include 2013. It extends 6 years after the 2013 season.

Now here's the question. Do we sign a guard like Moore? Or go for a RT like Winston or A.smith??
primetime217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:34 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime217 View Post

Now here's the question. Do we sign a guard like Moore? Or go for a RT like Winston or A.smith??
In theory I'd love Smith but he can't be trusted.

Fits the mold of what Dallas wants in their OL but his work ethic is too suspect. Can't trust him to stay in shape after cashing in.
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:44 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can we afford Moore and Winston? It's very unlikely I was just curious what options we had. Re-signing Spencer(which I don't want to do) will also free up more cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime217 View Post

Obviously gotta go with Winston ahead of Moore a million times over. The issue is finances. How much did we actually clear up for us to spend?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:16 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My question is this -- why are they even negotiating with Spencer about a long term deal if that's not what they plan to do?

I think it's obvious an extension for Spencer is coming, they just want it at their price.

The only way a long term deal with Spencer doesn't get done is if its his choice. Maybe Spencer says "I'll play this year out and cash in next year"

Of course he's risking injury and throwing away whatever potential deal the team offered him this year, so I doubt he'd do that..

Thoughts on why this wont happen?
Old 03-29-2013, 04:29 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love how we get a little money and everyone wants to spend it all right away.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:32 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
As opposed to saving it?

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:36 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
As opposed to saving it?
Ya let's keep spending all of our money and making bad future deals that cripples us in FA again.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:37 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I think this team has to spend it. They aren't likely to improve without adding additional pieces, especially on the interior line.

If it was a team with a bunch of youth and room to grow, it would be different, but this is a veteran team with a win now mentality. Gotta pay to play.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:00 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Ya U Mad.

I've always given Jerry a fair evaluation. Criticism for doing bad, praise for doing good.

I was hyperbolic on that statement that Jerry completely sucks at drafting. He's never been bad 100% of the time. My mistake though. I forgot when it comes to your interpretation of things, it's always black or white.
If the word "FAIR' were true then he would be called AMONG THE WORST GM in sports today.

1 Playoff Win in like 18 years? Mediocrity to Suck for those 18. Yes, Jimmy bailed him out the first few so given him credit for hitting on the River.

But any fair evaluation would place him as the worst performing GM in football in over the last two decades.
BobTheCowboysTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton View Post
My question is this -- why are they even negotiating with Spencer about a long term deal if that's not what they plan to do?

I think it's obvious an extension for Spencer is coming, they just want it at their price.

The only way a long term deal with Spencer doesn't get done is if its his choice. Maybe Spencer says "I'll play this year out and cash in next year"

Of course he's risking injury and throwing away whatever potential deal the team offered him this year, so I doubt he'd do that..

Thoughts on why this wont happen?
If you get get him locked into a lowball contract, say 4 years 25 mil which is similar to what Dumervil recieved, why not. That averages out to apx 6 mil a year which is managable money even if his play declines toward the end of his contract. That doesn't stop you from drafting a guy in the 2nd or third round and let them develop, like a Tank Carradine if he make is that far, and is also veteran insurance incase Ware goes down on the other side. Works out especially well if he agrees to performance incentives targeted to his later years so it is perform or not get paid as much, then he is out the door before that age of 33.

If he wants to get those $$$$ let him play out his franchise tender and plan accordingly to replace him the next season. Either way talking doesnt hurt the situation.

Last edited by Witten4HOF : 03-29-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:02 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll

Romo. Amazing. $55MM Guaranteed.

6 Years. 1 Playoff Win. Too many to note choke jobs.

LOL at Jerrah Jones.

A fool and his money ........ as a once national brand becomes a regional one and the merchandising slowly goes away as the national fan base gets older and fades to black.
BobTheCowboysTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:31 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLatJerrahJones View Post
Romo. Amazing. $55MM Guaranteed.

6 Years. 1 Playoff Win. Too many to note choke jobs.

LOL at Jerrah Jones.

A fool and his money ........ as a once national brand becomes a regional one and the merchandising slowly goes away as the national fan base gets older and fades to black.

Yeah, I realize over the first 3 years Flacco gets more money or whatever so people are trying to say not to focus on the guarantee but I just can't agree with that.

No way he should have got more than Flacco in guaranteed money. And his 18 mil annual salary is a big high for my taste too.

I feel like 47 mil guaranteed with a per year avg of 15-16 mil would have been more appropriate. Especially considering the way the season ended.

Oh well. Looks like we're all in on Tony -- a bet that's beyond risky.

Jerry playing with fire on just about every move this offseason (Ryan/Kiffin, Spencer, Romo)
Old 03-29-2013, 06:45 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, I realize over the first 3 years Flacco gets more money or whatever so people are trying to say not to focus on the guarantee but I just can't agree with that.

No way he should have got more than Flacco in guaranteed money. And his 18 mil annual salary is a big high for my taste too.

I feel like 47 mil guaranteed with a per year avg of 15-16 mil would have been more appropriate. Especially considering the way the season ended.

Jerry playing with fire on just about every move this offseason (Ryan/Kiffin, Spencer, Romo)
You do realize there are 2 parties negotiating here right? If Romo says no to what you think hes worth, then what? Let him walk? You better believe if he were to become a FA he would have got at least what we signed him for. Even if he did say yes to what you think hes worth, does that mean we arent "all in" with Romo cuz he signed for a little less? Maybe we should go back to the post Aikman/pre Romo years to get a true sense of what sucky QB play really is.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 03-29-2013, 06:53 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Blogging The Boys ‏@BloggingTheBoys 16m
Romo base is $13.5m in '14. Prorated bonuses total $8.3m... Change $12m to bonus, spread over 5 years, '14 cap hit goes from $22m to $12m

Blogging The Boys ‏@BloggingTheBoys 12m
Restructure '15 $17m base same way, drops $25m hit to $15m. Raises '16 cap hit from $15m to $21m. By '17, Austin, Ware, Ratliff gone

Blogging The Boys ‏@BloggingTheBoys 12m
By '17, current crop of players on rookie deals under new CBA will be the norm rather than exception. Looks like they have a plan to me.

Gotta believe in Stephen, right guys?

Old 03-29-2013, 06:57 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Rotoworld:
3/29/2013: Signed a seven-year, $119.5 million contract. The deal contains $55 million guaranteed, including a $25 million signing bonus and Romo's first-year base salary. 2013: $1.5 million, 2014: $13.5 million, 2015: $17 million, 2016: $8.5 million, 2017: $14 million, 2018: $19.5 million, 2019: $20.5 million, 2020: Free Agent

It's understandable why Romo got more guaranteed money than Flacco but less overall. He's older and the last 3 years of his contract are totally voidable. He's never gonna see that $19.5M in 2018 and $20.5M in 2019...unless he's winning SBs. So Romo wanted more guaranteed. Unlike Flacco who has no thinkable reason to have the same worry.

The new deal is only guaranteed for the first three years.
- BTB

We now have $5M in cap space. Let's go get Winston/Moore.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:08 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah people are going nuts over the deal for no real reason. If he plays at a top 5 level he sees the end of the deal and everyone is happy. If he doesn't and Dallas is successful in developing an capable alternative he can be let go prior to the end of the deal.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo/

There's a huge reason why the last two years of the deal 2018 & 2019 have massive base salaries... Dallas can restructure his contract in 2014 AND 2015 to free up cap space without crippling their ability to cut him if he isn't a Superbowl MVP by then.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

People are gonna be calling this deal a STEAL when Romo is hoisting that Superbowl MVP Award!!!

...did I just say that?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:23 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Yeah people are going nuts over the deal for no real reason. If he plays at a top 5 level he sees the end of the deal and everyone is happy. If he doesn't and Dallas is successful in developing an capable alternative he can be let go prior to the end of the deal.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo/

There's a huge reason why the last two years of the deal 2018 & 2019 have massive base salaries... Dallas can restructure his contract in 2014 AND 2015 to free up cap space without crippling their ability to cut him if he isn't a Superbowl MVP by then.
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 7m
On the Romo contract, the true full guarantee is $40M. He gets $26.5M in 1st yr of deal, $57M in 1st 3 yrs. He gets $40M in 1st 2yrs of deal

Old 03-29-2013, 07:36 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Now this sounds scary After the Tony Romo deal, the Cowboys have $148,561,185 on their 2014 cap, by far the largest amount in the NFL. The league average is $107,976,388.

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2013/03/...am-in-the-nfl/

Old 03-29-2013, 07:54 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Now this sounds scary After the Tony Romo deal, the Cowboys have $148,561,185 on their 2014 cap, by far the largest amount in the NFL. The league average is $107,976,388.

I'll openly question any list that has the Oakland Raiders at the bottom of spending. If they were that far under next season, they wouldn't have had to gut their team to the extent they did this year. More dead money would be rolling over to next season.
Rev Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:56 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Guaranteed he'll be restructured the first two years. Cut about 13 million in 2014 when he restructures. Doug Free will be cut so there's another 11 million-ish. DeMarcus Ware will be restructured another 11 million-ish. That's 35 million off that number without even breaking into a sweat. So we're down to 113 with 6 million to go.

Restructure Jason Witten (5 milllion)
Restructure Brandon Carr (7 million)
Cut Nate Livings (3 million)

That's 13 million more off the cap. Down to 100 million with enough room to sign all rookies and make other moves. All numbers were rounded up and down to make things equaled. We are hardly in cap hell.

Come 2015 you can cut Ratliff and Miles if they aren't up to snuff for cap saves. Restructure Romo again.

Stephen Jones has done a nice job working around the restrictions of a flat cap. We absolutely NEED to hit on draft picks this year and the next to provide impact players for low cost. The CBA has made it so that teams that hit in the draft have an EXTREME advantage over those who draft poorly.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:59 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

So for any contract gurus... how much money do we free up after June 1st?
Rev Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:53 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Bolyard View Post
So for any contract gurus... how much money do we free up after June 1st?
Depends who we cut.... but if you're looking for a lot of savings, you won't find much.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:25 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I remember everyone bashed the first extension Tony got, then David Garrard got a similar one shortly after. Bills just cut Ryan Fitzpatrick after giving him a whole bunch of money also.

I'm completely fine with slightly overpaying the guy we know will put up good numbers and put is in a position to succeed.