Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:35 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
What do you guys think would be a "surprise" selection in the first round? Last year I think EVERYONE was looking at CB and WR in the 1st, and it wasn't until 2-3 weeks before the draft that rumors started getting around that the Rams loved Fletcher Cox and it wasn't until then that people started projecting a Defensive Tackle to us.

Last year I really couldn't understand why Kuechly was considered a "reach" at #6 but a great pick for the Panthers a few picks later. I know not many are projecting a Linebacker to us, but we could go that route.
I think outside backer is a real possibility for the Rams in round one, especially after the Rams have stabilized the line and receiving corp more with the signings of Cook and Long. If a player like Jarvis Jones began to fall, he'd have to be an enticing option and Arthur Brown at the 22nd pick would be a good fit as well.

The Rams are in a good position with having needs at guard and safety, and those positions being extremely deep in this draft so they could conceivably be addressed later than round one. You look at the outside backer position, and while they are some impressive athletes, there are few "sure things".

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
Old 03-25-2013, 08:12 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I think outside backer is a real possibility for the Rams in round one, especially after the Rams have stabilized the line and receiving corp more with the signings of Cook and Long. If a player like Jarvis Jones began to fall, he'd have to be an enticing option and Arthur Brown at the 22nd pick would be a good fit as well.

The Rams are in a good position with having needs at guard and safety, and those positions being extremely deep in this draft so they could conceivably be addressed later than round one. You look at the outside backer position, and while they are some impressive athletes, there are few "sure things".
The only two Linebackers I feel comfortable with in the first round are Kevin Minter and Arthur Brown. They are deffinetly my favorites from this class, I think Minter is going to be a stud. Any idea on if he maybe can play outside? or is he strictly a ILB? I'm warming up to the idea of Ogletree with his athletic ability but I just can't get past his struggles versus the run. And with San Fran and Seattle having great running attacks....
Old 03-25-2013, 08:44 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The only two Linebackers I feel comfortable with in the first round are Kevin Minter and Arthur Brown. They are deffinetly my favorites from this class, I think Minter is going to be a stud. Any idea on if he maybe can play outside? or is he strictly a ILB? I'm warming up to the idea of Ogletree with his athletic ability but I just can't get past his struggles versus the run. And with San Fran and Seattle having great running attacks....
I would keep Minter as an inside backer

Old 03-25-2013, 08:47 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I spent the today going back and watching some games, and one of the guys I was looking at was Ogletree. I was surprised at how much he seemed to just wash out in the run game. He was blocked and moved easily, and at times, looked like he didn't even want to be part of contact. Not exactly what I want in a SAM 'backer, though maybe he could swap with Dunbar and play WILL instead.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:15 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I mean he even gets manhandled by Tight Ends. Plus he is late to react a lot of the time. But the potential is there for sure, and I trust our coaching staff, that's the only reason I'd be ok with selecting Ogletree cuz I have faith that they'd be able to coach him up. (not thrilled, but just ok) If Jeff Fisher wasn't coaching this team and it was still Spags or Linehan I would say HELL NO stay away from him.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:55 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

New Mock:

1. Sheldon Richardson DT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCLG6J87S-k
1. Arthur Brown LB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-T1T3YuyNY
2. Quinton Patton WR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htOC2hKV7iM
3. Logan Ryan CB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u16xhNN8mqQ
4. JJ Wilcox SS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkPc_QikvRs
5. Josh Boyce WR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tey0mfnNKJI
6. Oscar Johnson OG
He's an O-Lineman!
7. Denodus O'Bryant RB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8SBOQFsCBg

I know probably the #1 concern is going to be yuck a guard not until the 6th round? Well I would like to see what Rok Watkins can bring to the table next season. He has all the tools to be a starter, I want to see him win that spot.

I have the Rams selecting two receivers in this draft and hopefully it fixes the receivers issue. I'm absolutely in love with Patton, I think he compares a lot to AJ Jenkins, a receiver I loved last year who went in the 1st round. Hopefully it doesn't take Patton to grasp an nfl offense though. Josh Boyce is a guy who I feel more people should be talking about, a really physical receiver who could be a pretty dangerous player in the slot. I think Quick, Givens, Patton, Pettis, and Boyce can make for a pretty solid WR group.

I honestly think Pead is going to be the Rams starting H-Back this year, I think many have already just given up on him and are ready to move on. the Rams didn't take him in the 2nd round last year to be a backup, they took him in the 2nd round to be next in line when Steven left the team. I also think Ganaway finds a role on the team this year. O'Bryant would be a long shot to ake the squad but he does have nice tools
Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You've added a lot of talent, which is good. Richardson next to Brockers would be great, but is it a luxury we can afford? Brown is a nice fit as a WILL linebacker, allowing Dunbar to move to the strong side. Patton is a great target on Day Two.

Not getting a guard until the late rounds concerns me; I'm not as high on Rok as other fans. Also, with Darian Stewart likely a SS in Fisher's defense, and the only safety pick going to the same position, it concerns me as to who would start at FS.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:35 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
You've added a lot of talent, which is good. Richardson next to Brockers would be great, but is it a luxury we can afford? Brown is a nice fit as a WILL linebacker, allowing Dunbar to move to the strong side. Patton is a great target on Day Two.

Not getting a guard until the late rounds concerns me; I'm not as high on Rok as other fans. Also, with Darian Stewart likely a SS in Fisher's defense, and the only safety pick going to the same position, it concerns me as to who would start at FS.
I think Rok can be a starter in this league, it's classic Fisher. Draft an offensive lineman in the later rounds, have him develop for a season (almost like a redshirt year) and then plug him into the starting lineup the next year. Jon Runyan 4th round, Kevin Long 7th round, Benji Olson 5th round, Justin Hartwig 6th round, Jacob Bell 5th round, Eugene Amano 7th round, David Stewart 4th round, Leroy Harris 4th round, Fernando Velasco UDFA....All guys who were drafted by Fisher and ended being a starter. Actually Fisher has had more success drafting players at the bottom of the draft (rounds 4-7) than he has at the top of it (rounds 1-3) The only guy he drafted in the early rounds that I would say has developed into a good Tackle would be Michael Roos, who was drafted in the 2nd round.

Also with Wilcox I think he'd be able to play Free Safety. And if he can't, Stewart showed he is more than capable of filling that hole. He started 13 games there in 2011.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:33 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think Rok can be a starter in this league, it's classic Fisher. Draft an offensive lineman in the later rounds, have him develop for a season (almost like a redshirt year) and then plug him into the starting lineup the next year. Jon Runyan 4th round, Kevin Long 7th round, Benji Olson 5th round, Justin Hartwig 6th round, Jacob Bell 5th round, Eugene Amano 7th round, David Stewart 4th round, Leroy Harris 4th round, Fernando Velasco UDFA....All guys who were drafted by Fisher and ended being a starter. Actually Fisher has had more success drafting players at the bottom of the draft (rounds 4-7) than he has at the top of it (rounds 1-3) The only guy he drafted in the early rounds that I would say has developed into a good Tackle would be Michael Roos, who was drafted in the 2nd round.
Thanks for the examples, that's good info. Time will tell if Fisher thinks Rok is the next in that line.

Quote:
Also with Wilcox I think he'd be able to play Free Safety. And if he can't, Stewart showed he is more than capable of filling that hole. He started 13 games there in 2011.
Stewart did, but it was in a Spagnuolo defense in which the two safety roles were very similar rather than the more traditional free and strong safety. My impression is that Fisher's defense is more the latter, where he's asking specific and different things of both guys. Otherwise, there's really no excuse for not allowing Stewart to eat into Craig Dahl's playing time last year, if they thought Stewart could play the position in this scheme.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:51 PM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I saw where the Rams are taking a look at Eddie Lacey at RB. I see a lot of Mocks with his name in it. What are any thoughts on the Rams taking him in the draft.

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"
Old 03-28-2013, 03:57 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdsrams02 View Post
I saw where the Rams are taking a look at Eddie Lacey at RB. I see a lot of Mocks with his name in it. What are any thoughts on the Rams taking him in the draft.
Lacy is connected to St. Louis likely because his style is similar to Steven Jackson. He might be a consideration for them in round two, and given his hamstring issues, I don't see round one being a possibility for him now.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:52 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

PF28 or anyone, do you think Mingo can play LB in a 4-3?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:57 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
PF28 or anyone, do you think Mingo can play LB in a 4-3?
His movement skills are so good that I guess it could be a possibility, but he'd be learning a completely new role and it may take three or four years before you'd see an semblance of a competent 43 backer.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:10 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Jim Thomas recently suggested it could be in the first round. I don't think that's good value, and it would seem like a strange pick considering the committee approach the Rams want to utilize.

If he's there on Day Two, he could be a consideration. But I think a runner in the round 3-5 range to compliment the guys the Rams already have would be a wiser move.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:44 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Balzer reported that Lattimore will visit Rams.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:39 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Very cool info HB. Maybe Hugh Thornton in round 4-5?
Old 03-29-2013, 01:45 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm really not interested in Lacy that early. He may end up being a great back, but recent Alabama backs have yet to show any sort of dominance at the next level. Besides that, I like a few other backs that could be had in the middle rounds. I won't name any names, but his initials are Leveon Bell:-)
Old 03-29-2013, 01:46 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Balzer reported that Lattimore will visit Rams.
I would be stoked if we could get Lattimore in the middle of round 3. Even if he was never the same back again, it would be worth the risk for me there.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:01 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

On another thread someone listed all of the dead money figures for each team. The Rams came in around the middle of the pack with about $10.4 million in dead money. Does anyone know the specifics of where our dead money came from and when it will be cleared? It would be really nice if we become one of those franchises that works very efficiently within the salary cap. I see it as one way to get a competitive edge on the competition.

FWIW, the Packers had the best number with just over $100k in dead money, SF was second with under a million, and Seattle was low also (I think around $3 mil). Oakland was dead last at almost $30 million and growing.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:51 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
On another thread someone listed all of the dead money figures for each team. The Rams came in around the middle of the pack with about $10.4 million in dead money. Does anyone know the specifics of where our dead money came from and when it will be cleared? It would be really nice if we become one of those franchises that works very efficiently within the salary cap. I see it as one way to get a competitive edge on the competition.

FWIW, the Packers had the best number with just over $100k in dead money, SF was second with under a million, and Seattle was low also (I think around $3 mil). Oakland was dead last at almost $30 million and growing.
I believe the lion's share of it comes from Jason Smith and Mikell but I'm trying to find confirmation.

EDIT: Here's a link...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/cap-hit/

Last edited by NGSeiler : 03-30-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:53 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Does anyone have an opinion on Oklahoma WR Kenny Stills? Where will he go? I asked this a few days ago but I think it got lost in all the banter:-)
Old 03-31-2013, 06:08 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Does anyone have an opinion on Oklahoma WR Kenny Stills? Where will he go? I asked this a few days ago but I think it got lost in all the banter:-)
Stills is a tough prospect for me to project. He's proven to be good, but I'm not sure how good he's gonna be in the NFL.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:48 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Stills is a tough prospect for me to project. He's proven to be good, but I'm not sure how good he's gonna be in the NFL.
Where do you see him struggling at the next level...getting separation? I really like his awareness, he makes the heads-up play and gets on the same page with his QB.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:51 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Where do you see him struggling at the next level...getting separation? I really like his awareness, he makes the heads-up play and gets on the same page with his QB.
I would say separation and while his measurables are impressive (better than I thought I'd see from him), he doesn't strike me as a receiver who will be elusive and his smaller frame bugs me as well with the lack of elusiveness.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:29 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

One of the things I really like about him is the fact that he is very good in the red zone, especially on the corner fade route. There aren't a whole lot of guys who can execute that play consistently.
Closed Thread