Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:16 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
1: Arthur Brown - ILB
2: Matt Elam - SS
3: Marcus Lattimore - RB
4: Da'rick Rodgers - WR
5: John Simon - OLB
6: Hugh Thornton - OG/OT
6: Ryan Griffin - QB
7: Mychal Rivera - TE
like it!

kinda feel like we need a playmaker in the first 2 rounds... but then again like k said.. lattimore's payoff later on could be ridic

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:11 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if a player like star loajuiohuilbflasf falls to us at 17 - would you rather pick him up or trade back with a team like SF for their 1st and more than likely their late second

Old 03-29-2013, 05:42 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if star is there they wont be able to run to the podium fast enough
Old 04-01-2013, 12:59 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

dave aka steelers depot on twitter has us going:

cooper
woods
mcdonald
simon
k barnes

wouldnt hate that

Old 04-01-2013, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be down with that, would like to address ILB early though, I like Spence but I'm not convinced he can fully recover from that injury, and Foote is just mediocre.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:34 PM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Nice list of Pre Draft Visits on SteelerDeoot right now!

Do you guys see KGreene as an ILB or OLB for us?
And I'm really liking the highlights I see on Phillip Thomas! If it's not Vaccaro in the 1st, I'm torn between a few safetys after him. I don't think we need asafety in the 1st, but Vaccaro wouldn't make me cry.

I've got a couple prospects at every position but ILB. Could use some help on early round ILBs?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:04 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

id much rather thomas later on than kenny in the first

Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thomas is strictly a FS who plays CF. He takes bad angles in run defense. Greene would play MLB. I like the list. Keep a good eye on these because this list really shows who the team is interested in because the Steelers usually draft a few that visit.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:58 PM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

repost mistake.

Last edited by SCSteeler : 04-02-2013 at 10:55 PM. Reason: repost
SCSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:04 PM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
id much rather thomas later on than kenny in the first
That's what I'm thinking. I'd be fine with PThomas, RMiles or TJMcdonald in the later rounds.
I'm starting to think we take OLB in the later rounds too. If that's the case we should be going WR, ILB, RB in the 1st 3 rounds?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:16 AM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Someone said it about John Simon already, but Mauti also screams Steeler to me. Not sure why though.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:25 AM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

"If" we take a safety and OLB in the mid rounds(3-5), that leaves WR, ILB, RB for rnd 1 n 2. I think we need playmakers at WR n ILB now. Taking a RB in 3 or 4.

If it's not Teo in 1, what WR do you guys want in Black n Gold? I'm not sold on Patterson. I like the height on Hunter n Allen but are they worth pick 17?

2 guys I want on our team, but am afraid they'll go elsewhere are Leveon Bell n John Simon!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:02 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

i think we will move around some later picks around and get another 3rd/4th rounder

as far as WR/ILB/RB in rounds 1/2 these look like the most likely scenarios:

scenario a:
1)arthur brown ilb
2)robert woods/deandre hopkins wr

probably the best ilb in the class in brown and with as deep as this receiving class is i think even hunter could potentially fall to us in round 2

scenario b:
1)cordarrelle patterson / tavon austin wr
2)kevin reddick ilb

not sold on patterson but do love his play making ability - his RAC ability reminds me a lot of santonio holmes...
i love austin, i just want to scoop him up like a baby in my arms BUT it would be hard to take another >6' receiver for this team. ben would cry
reddick is somewhat limited athletically but was the heart and soul of that team

scenario c:
1)tyler eifert te/wr
2)eddie lacy rb

not really likely at all this would happen but just wanted to note that:
1)honestly the only rb id take in round 2 is lacy... but i doubt he lasts that long.
2)eifert makes a lot of sense the way te's are used these days and i fully believe he will make more of an impact than any wr we could draft

all in all i think scenario B is most likely. We get our play maker round 1 and a solid ilb round 2.

having said that i really dont love any of those scenarios

Old 04-03-2013, 10:03 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
Someone said it about John Simon already, but Mauti also screams Steeler to me. Not sure why though.
i agree that he plays like one... hard nosed, not flashy, blue collar, etc.

but we generally dont take on guys with his kind of injury history

Old 04-03-2013, 10:14 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

i really feel like...

for better or worse our staff likes jason worilds and will not select an olb in the first round

theres no rb worth taking at 17

we dont need a qb / center

we wont take a d-linemen in the first having invested 2 first round picks as well as a few later round picks and with NT not as important as it once was

i really dont see us going TE either - too many needs, unfortunately

leaving us with:

o-line - isnt as big of a need but we will take value sooo any of the top 3 tackles, and cooper
wr - i like hunter and allen... not sure if they are good vlaue at 17 tho
rb - no 1st round rb's though i wouldnt throw my remote through my tv if we took lacy
ilb - i would probably rather wait til later if there is someone they like... also if spence will fully heal but wouldnt pout if they took brown
cb - i like any of rhodes, washington, milliner
s - i dont like kenny in round 1 and would rather wait

honestly this is the most awkward draft spot i think we've had in years

id almost rather 3 3rd round picks than this first

Old 04-03-2013, 12:56 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
i really feel like...

for better or worse our staff likes jason worilds and will not select an olb in the first round

theres no rb worth taking at 17

we dont need a qb / center

we wont take a d-linemen in the first having invested 2 first round picks as well as a few later round picks and with NT not as important as it once was

i really dont see us going TE either - too many needs, unfortunately

leaving us with:

o-line - isnt as big of a need but we will take value sooo any of the top 3 tackles, and cooper
wr - i like hunter and allen... not sure if they are good vlaue at 17 tho
rb - no 1st round rb's though i wouldnt throw my remote through my tv if we took lacy
ilb - i would probably rather wait til later if there is someone they like... also if spence will fully heal but wouldnt pout if they took brown
cb - i like any of rhodes, washington, milliner
s - i dont like kenny in round 1 and would rather wait

honestly this is the most awkward draft spot i think we've had in years

id almost rather 3 3rd round picks than this first
Do you mean trufant when you say washington? I really like Rhodes but i cant see him being a good fit for lebeau...hed be wasted

Id take cooper/warmack, id take patterson, hunter, allen, hopkins

I am getting really close to putting Elam over Vaccaro

Question for everyone...Patterson and Jarvis sitting there at 17 who do you take? I have them as 1a and 1b for the steelers
Old 04-03-2013, 01:58 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

New mock

1. Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

If he falls this far i believe he will be the pick. He is dynamic with the ball in his hand, will be a player that will get a lot of opportunities to score as a rookie. He is tall, but he doesnt run like some of the taller WRs weve seen....AJ, Julio, DHB, Britt, Nicks, Torrey Smith, Josh Gordon...ect. He runs more like hes percy harvin. His straight line speed is good, but his open field ability is unnatural for his size. Hes not the smartest guy, but we dont need a high SAT score..he made the jumo from JUCO to FBS very well. Hes a bit of a body catcher, something that can be worked on but hes much to explosive of a talent to pass on at 17.

Others: Keenan Allen, Jon Cooper, Chance Warmack, Kenny Vaccaro, DeAndre Hopkins, Xavier Rhodes, Barkevious Mingo, Jarvis Jones, Justin Hunter, Tyler Eifert

2. Matt Elam, S, Florida

I absolutely love Matt Elam. His draft stock is very tough to gauge though. He is a safety with corner ability. He has shown the ability to man up on slot WRs from the safety position, which is something clark and troy have shown they cannot do. it would be an extreme luxury to have a safety that can easily play the NB slot, it will allow you to do a lot of things with the secondary that you cant do when you have to line Ike taylor up on Welker in the slot all day. He is very aggressive, a devastating hitting, and despite flying around the field...a very sound tackler. He creates turnovers and gets interceptions, but whats most impressive about him is his closing speed and timing/patience to separate the ball from the receiver....breaks up a lot of passes, not only by pure coverage but by laying a perfectly timed hit. Can play centerfield, can play the run, can play FS and SS....thers not much not to like about him other than hes a little short.

Others: Shamarko Thomas, David Amerson, Robert Woods, Quinton Patton, Terrence Williams, Corey Lemonier, Jesse Williams, Margus Hunt, Alex Okafor, Zach Ertz, Gavin Escobar, Gio Bernard, Kevin minter, Manti Teo, Barrett Jones, John Jenkins

3. Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina

This is under the assumption they sign Bradshaw. Lattimore will NOT make it out of the 3rd round. Even if hes IRd as a rookie, RB is a need and this is a long term investment into a dynamic player and one that is seriously passionate about playing at the pro level and has me convinced he will do anything to make sure that happens. The injury was horrible, but hes progressed in a way that its hard not to have faith in him making a full recovery. Take no chances, IR him as a rookie and enter 2014 with an explosive, powerful, dynamic RB that this team has lacked for.....ever.

others: Brandon Jenkins, Chase Thomas, Markus Wheaton, Jonathan Franklin, Tyler Bray, Dennard Robinson

4. Brian Schwenke, C, Cal

Here it is, the final piece to the oline that will ultimately move Pouncey to LG. Schwenke is a prototype zone blocking center. He reminds me of Ryan Kalil coming out of USC. Very smart, excellent all around player and can move people off the line. Not as stout as Alex Mack was coming out of cal, but a totally different kind of player. The move to LG for pouncey will take a lot off his delicate ankles. Schwenke can play in any scheme but he is so quick and agile that hes an ideal center for the steelers. The thing that separates him from Barrett Jones and Travis Frederick is his insane explosion off the snap

5. Cornelius Washington, OLB Georgia

I have heard that Washington feeds only on small children and dynamite. He is a horribly terrifying player to look at physically. I was scared watching him run the 40 in that he might not ever stop and end up causing many injuries and traffic accidents in Indianapolis once he busts through the walls of Lucas Oil Stadium. So why would a player that physically gigantic fall to the 5th round? Well his tape is pretty horrible. Switching defenses to a 34 was not kind to him and hes been horrific against the run, but he held his own against bama and showed improvement at the senior bowl. Killed the combine. 4.53 40, 36 reps with 34 inch arms is incredibly impressive, great broad jump and vertical...he needs some work, but hes got some tools that can be shaped into a great player if he wants to be.

6. John Simon, OLB, Ohio State

Ive called him a lock to be a steeler, and I do believe that he will be...its jsut a question of where. Hopefully its around here and not in the second because the more i watch him the less impressed I am...He is a very passionate player, but painfully slow off the snap and is not even close to being the pass rusher hes made out to be by some. Hes great against the run, but he is horribly inconsistent in space and doesnt looke like a 34 OLB at all when he plays....im wondering why anyone would consider him an conversion guy other than his height.

6. Vince Williams, MLB, Florida State

I have dropped Rontez Miles from my mock....had him as a lock for the steeler ink on his arm, but with the Elam pick i dont think its a need anymore and really hes just not that good. Vince Williams was in for a visit this week and he is a big downhill MLB. 6-1 250 and is a true thumper. I compare him (favorably) to Jasper Brinkley who was a mid round pick for the Vikings and has put up a pretty solid career for what he is....a downhill thumper. He has the size to take on guards and has shown some pretty decent instincts to make up for his lack of top end speed for the position (althought the 4.7ish speed is plenty for him). He had a good senior bowl and looks to fit the mold of a 2 down LB on the inside of a 34. I could see him replacing sylvester on ST and being replaced by spence on 3rd down. Not as productive as Brinkley, but a better player than Josh Bynes of Auburn who i liked in a similar role...could develop nicely

7. Omarius Hines, Football Player, Florida

I just really like this kid. Listed at florida as a WR/RB/TE/HB/ATH....but at his pro day put up a good 40 and a RIDICULOUS 3 cone time. At like 6-0 he will likely have to be a slot WR for his skill set, but he has made some nice grabs for florida and the Tomlin-Florida connection continues. I really think he has a shot of being a good player even if he has to play all over. He kind of reminds me of a faster, more agile Michael Robinson...who was drafted as a WR by San Fran...moved to RB, then moved to FB, now he is the starting FB for Seattle. Robinson was a QB at Penn state, but many envisioned him as a WR at the next level but he finds a way to make an impact all over.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:23 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
Do you mean trufant when you say washington? I really like Rhodes but i cant see him being a good fit for lebeau...hed be wasted

Id take cooper/warmack, id take patterson, hunter, allen, hopkins

I am getting really close to putting Elam over Vaccaro

Question for everyone...Patterson and Jarvis sitting there at 17 who do you take? I have them as 1a and 1b for the steelers
yup meant trufant...

id probably close my eyes and take patterson

Old 04-03-2013, 03:22 PM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

This is the 1st off season ive had time to follow and study prospects. And thanx to following you guys for so many years now I feel like im getting closer to who we might actually pick in certain rounds. I used to just love seeing who you guys thought we would pick and then picking my favorites and hoping the team would grab em. Ive had way too many favorites drafted by other teams either 1 or 2 spots before or after we pick!

That said:
I'm thinking we have to go WR and ILB in rounds 1 and 2. Just because of the depth, in the draft, at so many other positions. And our need for immediate play makers at those positions. Foote might be able but i would love to see a solid rookie take some of his playing time.

My 1st five round mock ever: (and its gonna change)

JHunter or Patterson (i prefer Hunters Height)
ABrown or Khaseem Greene
TJ McDonald
LBell
JSimon
Old 04-03-2013, 03:26 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSteeler View Post
This is the 1st off season ive had time to follow and study prospects. And thanx to following you guys for so many years now I feel like im getting closer to who we might actually pick in certain rounds. I used to just love seeing who you guys thought we would pick and then picking my favorites and hoping the team would grab em. Ive had way too many favorites drafted by other teams either 1 or 2 spots before or after we pick!

That said:
I'm thinking we have to go WR and ILB in rounds 1 and 2. Just because of the depth, in the draft, at so many other positions. And our need for immediate play makers at those positions. Foote might be able but i would love to see a solid rookie take some of his playing time.

My 1st five round mock ever: (and its gonna change)

JHunter or Patterson (i prefer Hunters Height)
ABrown or Khaseem Greene
TJ McDonald
LBell
JSimon
that 2 inches means nothing when comparing the two. Any ball you throw to one could be caught if it was thrown to the other. Patterson is by far the more exciting player. I do love hunter though, just sayin omg 6-4 im in love is the wrong way to look at it.

Arthur brown would be awesome in 2 but i doubt hes there...hes so fluid and he works magic in traffic.

Mcdonald just isnt very good...he should be, but hes not. And hes much to content with allowing his team mates to make tackles....he has a chance, but thats not a great quality for a box safety.

they love bell and simon...i just dont get it, but very possible picks
Old 04-03-2013, 04:08 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

i think hunter is just as exciting as a prospect... just not as recently becasue of the acl

Old 04-03-2013, 04:24 PM    (permalink
CDub
Veteran

CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's up with Scott's scouting reports?? The last couple years he's been waaaay behind on those. I just checked and all of the players the Steelers have brought in so far - none of them have a scouting report on this site!?!? Not even Jarvis Jones who is considered a top 20 pick

That was the reason I started using this site 8 years ago - he had all the scouting reports on anyone i wanted to look at. But these last few years there have been players that he never even got to.
CDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:24 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

i love hunter, but to like him because hes taller is wrong...thats all im saying
Old 04-03-2013, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'd take Patterson, much bigger need imo, I like Worilds a fair bit and I'd be happy to see Adrian Robinson or another rook given a shot if Worilds gets injured. On the other hand I like Antonio and Sanders, but I'd like them much more in a joint role, having a true number one would only make them more effective. Patterson, Brown and Sanders would be a very nice trio!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:02 PM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

Quote:
i love hunter, but to like him because hes taller is wrong...thats all im saying

I get it. I meant to say height and experience
makes me pick him over Patterson. At times I'm afraid of his inexperience, but the WR position might be an easier one. We're not asking him to run the offense.
%m also having flashbacks of Wallaces last drive in the SB against Green Bay, he was lost and looked stupid. I want smart football players.