Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:45 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^^^This.

I think Winston is very solid, but he seems to not fit our offensive line type. As I type that I laugh, because our line has been horrid. So I agree the statement is silly.

But what I am trying to say is that from what I understand, he is great in zone blocking. As far as lining up and pushing people around, that is not his forte. Maybe we need to change our philosophy. Or do we even have one? I have always thought of us as having a line that can one-on-one match up and overpower people. But we haven't done that in so long.

Geez. This team gives me fits. I confuse myself.

In conclusion-we have no identity on the OL. So any step in any direction is good.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:10 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
^^^This.

I think Winston is very solid, but he seems to not fit our offensive line type. As I type that I laugh, because our line has been horrid. So I agree the statement is silly.

But what I am trying to say is that from what I understand, he is great in zone blocking. As far as lining up and pushing people around, that is not his forte. Maybe we need to change our philosophy. Or do we even have one? I have always thought of us as having a line that can one-on-one match up and overpower people. But we haven't done that in so long.

In conclusion-we have no identity on the OL. So any step in any direction is good.
Tyron can certainly fit into a zone scheme, Costa might be a good fit too if he can stay healthy. If they were to sign Winston and add another athletic guard in the draft the pieces start falling together.

On the flip side of the coin move Bernie to center, sign Smith to play RT and get someone like Warmack or Warford in the draft the team could really pound the rock. There are options there, I'm just happy that it appears they want to upgrade across the board.

Edit: as for last season I'm pretty sure we ran the majority of plays in man blocking because of injuries and the rotating tackles toward the end of the year. To execute zone blocking there has to be a good feel of what the guys around you are doing otherwise guys don't get blocked. Callahan has run both schemes in the past though and could go either way.

Last edited by Witten4HOF : 04-02-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:47 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
^^^This.

^^^ THIS.

Really wish we did. The problem is Callahan has been a traditional power scheme guy. He was in San Diego, he was in Oakland, he was in New York and we brought him here to do the same thing. But the NFL is a copy cat league and more and more we see how zone blocking schemes have been picking up in success and popularity. So what happens? The league starts to put more value in athletic and mobile linemen. Draftniks drool, hype raises through the roof and coaches think they can develop the raw skills.

Tyron Smith is the epitome of this. Totally raw prospect with athleticism through the roof, but the hype machine totally warranted his draft value. We had the need and it was easy to fall in love with him. But imo, his addition to the line was the start to changing the way the Cowboys always ran things around here. The old guys are OUT. We're in the process of building a new line right now and I think the new direction of this OL should be a zone blocking scheme. Callahan can still be the guy or we can bring in a new guy especially if Callahan is becoming OC.

Main thing is to build the line around who are key players are. Right now, that's not just Tyron... we've got one of the best one cut and go RBs in the league in DeMarco Murray. He would be a Mega Star in this league in a zone blocking scheme. Arian Foster who? Alfred Morris? C'mon man...

I share the frustration with you guys man. I wish we had more clarity here.

Last edited by D-Unit : 04-03-2013 at 12:50 AM.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:40 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's doubtful they will change the blocking system anytime soon since it would involve bringing in new coaches and ZBS blockers often give up something in pass pass protection. Washington and Houston are 2 teams that love to run the ball, Dallas is much more of a pass first team which I believe Jerry likes and isn't going to change.
Murray is just too injury prone to build an offense around.
I think it is pretty clear that the Cowboys will remain so as long as Romo is the QB.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:44 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure about the love affair with Winston, after all, 2 teams in 2 years have dumped him as their RT, there has to be a major reason why they chose to do so.
Andre Smith would be a much better signing but I doubt the Cowboys can afford him.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
It's doubtful they will change the blocking system anytime soon since it would involve bringing in new coaches and ZBS blockers often give up something in pass pass protection. Washington and Houston are 2 teams that love to run the ball, Dallas is much more of a pass first team which I believe Jerry likes and isn't going to change.
Murray is just too injury prone to build an offense around.
I think it is pretty clear that the Cowboys will remain so as long as Romo is the QB.
Doubtful is not a good word here. I just found some interesting news as I tried to get better informed on our situation...

But first let me start by saying, YES, under Jason Garrett, there is no doubt that he loves to pass first, but that is a Garrett thing, not a Jerry thing. Traditionally, Dallas is a power running team, but the word "tradition" in today's NFL is almost like a bad word. Teams can't lean on tradition like they used to. Now teams must ever evolve. They must become innovative. They need to adjust to the changing times. That is why I think Dallas has become more pass heavy in recent years. The rules are making it much easier to do so and we're seeing that on offense. If there's one thing Jerry IS NOT guilty of, it's sticking to the past. He's made so many schematical changes that can be labeled "en vogue" that one can call him crazy! 4-3 --> Parcells 3-4 --> Phillips 3-4 --> Ryan 3-4 --> Tampa 2... and that's just on the defensive side of the ball. So seeing us being pass happy on offense is just another example of Dallas' awareness of trying to keep up with the evolving game. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the next QB we get is a read option guy.

But anyways, back to what I learned today...

I came across an article this morning that really cleared up some of the questions about the OL scheme that we started talking about last night...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...-nfl-draft.ece

"If Franklin is available in the third round, I think itís a no-brainer for Dallas. Franklin ran in a read-zone type of offense at UCLA, but donít forget that the Cowboys are transitioning to more zone-blocking assignments in 2013"

"With the Cowboys transitioning to more zone blocking concepts, Michael would be a good fit in Dallas"

"Taylor has the well-rounded game of a player who could spell DeMarco Murray, and heís also a fit for the Cowboysí zone-blocking concepts"

Sounds like the direction is clear. If there is ever a good time to decide to change, the time is now. We have 1 guy on the entire line that is a lock. Everyone else's job is not safe. Our OL coach just got promoted to OC and we actually do have a new OL coach with a zone blocking history.

The OL coach that we hired to replace Callahan as OL coach goes by the name of Frank Pollack. Pollack was the former Houston Texans Assistant OL coach from 2007-2011 and was promoted to OL coach in Oakland last year where the Raiders transitioned from their traditional power blocking scheme to the zone-blocking scheme, which Houston ran. This offseason, the Raiders HC Greg Knapp was fired along with his entire staff. Dallas plucked up Pollack and ALL SIGNS POINT TO GO for Dallas switching to a zone blocking scheme in 2013!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I'm not sure about the love affair with Winston, after all, 2 teams in 2 years have dumped him as their RT, there has to be a major reason why they chose to do so.
Andre Smith would be a much better signing but I doubt the Cowboys can afford him.
The major reason = Money.

Since we're moving to ZBS, landing Winston would be a DREAM wish come true.

C'mon Jerry!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:17 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love the ZBS so I'm in heaven with the news :)

Winston would be an excellent get and then I'll just cross my fingers for Cooper :D

Another note I've seen more than once now so I'll post it here. All indications are that Romo will be given more responsibility in terms of play-calling. If our two minute drill is any indication the offense might be a tad more explosive without Garrett's play-calling.

No doubt our offense looked better in no-huddle or 2-minute drills compared to the rest of the game.

Last edited by Trogdor : 04-03-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:00 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

How does a move to a ZBS impact our guards? Not a single one resembles a zone guy except for maybe Arkin if you squint real hard.
Rev Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Bolyard View Post
How does a move to a ZBS impact our guards? Not a single one resembles a zone guy except for maybe Arkin if you squint real hard.
Free at Guard may get a real look. We're faced with a challenge going into the draft. But I really love the depth of the Guard class. We should be able to find some help.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:19 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Bolyard View Post
Funny. I was thinking that none of them resembled professional lineman. Except, of course, Tyron.

On a side note, and I know it is a moot point now, but wouldn't Felix have been a good fit in a zone blocking scheme? I will be honest, I don't know much about zone blocking.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:51 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

One more question.

I think that most places say that if Warmack fell to us it would be a nice value pick. Since I admit I don't know much about zone blocking, would he be a good fit? From what I know about it, he seems not to be.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:17 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
One more question.

I think that most places say that if Warmack fell to us it would be a nice value pick. Since I admit I don't know much about zone blocking, would he be a good fit? From what I know about it, he seems not to be.
alabama runs mostly zone blocking runs schemes, all these concerns about warmack in a zone blocking scheme is just overanalysis
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:16 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
alabama runs mostly zone blocking runs schemes, all these concerns about warmack in a zone blocking scheme is just overanalysis
I cannot see Warmack in a pro ZBS, Cooper would be a much better fit in that scheme.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:54 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can add Tyson Clabo to the list of potential right tackle options for Dallas.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:23 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I cannot see Warmack in a pro ZBS, Cooper would be a much better fit in that scheme.
Is the prototypical G in a zone scheme more of an athletic type? If that's the case, I'd agree about Cooper over Warmack.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:02 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lol. Bryan Broaddus comes out on twitter and says Clabo not an option for the Cowboys. Hours later Ian Rappaport (sp?) says Cowboys have already contacted Clabo.
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton View Post
Lol. Bryan Broaddus comes out on twitter and says Clabo not an option for the Cowboys. Hours later Ian Rappaport (sp?) says Cowboys have already contacted Clabo.
Yeah, but who's right? I don't like Broaddus for beans but who is Ian Rappaport? lol
Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Yeah, but who's right? I don't like Broaddus for beans but who is Ian Rappaport? lol
He's the NFL Network reporter that's based in Dallas and reports from Valley Ranch "team cam"

If he's reporting the team has called Clabo's agent, I think that's factual. It's not like he's going to make it up.

He said both the Jaguars and Cowboys have already reached out to Clabo. Pretty specific.

Broaddus on the other hand is just giving his worthless opinion. Again.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:53 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
In fairness, drew, he said he thought he they wouldn't due to clabo's price tag. I don't think he implied they are not interested, just that they prob couldn't afford.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:40 PM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This team needs to take on the personality & culture of guys like Dez and Sean Lee.

That team will have a chance.

As is, this team is what it is. Flash and show that always comes up short when it matters.

As good as Ware & Witten (to a lesser extent, Romo) are -- they're not leaders. They're never screaming at guys. They're never leading the emotional charge. And it shows when it counts.. No one on the team sets people straight.

I was watching a SoundFX of The Triplets the other day and it was amazing seeing the type of player leadership and emotion you got from Aikman & Irvin on the sidelines.

Aikman was constantly cussing out OL and coaching his WR's.. Right after a guy scored his first career TD, Aikman goes up to him and says "Hey good job but I need you to get quicker out of your break. You need to speed it up."

Nothing was ever good enough for Troy and that's an awesome quality. And it takes a lot of confidence to not just lead by example but to force that same mentality on everyone else.

Tony doesn't have that.
I know its been awhile but I just couldnt let this comment slide without saying anything...

The ONE think I see Tony Romo doing on the sidelines and on the field is coaching, teaching, encouraging, and freaking having to grad dumb butt WRs and OL and get them to do what they are suppose to do.

He's played with Witten and Miles for so long he trust them and they generally do a good job of being in the right spot at the right time. (when Austin is healthy)

Dez finally come along this year and learned and started becoming the WR he was drafted to be. Hope he can continue to mature and develop the other aspects of the game.

However, the REST of the YEHOOs are not SMART players, or they are having a really tough time picking things up. I know I don't really have to say anymore about Ogletree. Harris is fairly young and still learning, dude is from East Carolina, not your "Stanford" of the east coast. Beasley is really nothing more than hoping you dont miss the next Amdendola.

When your QB has to go up to your lineman to get things straightened out after a blown blocking assignment or another mental error as much as he has in the past few years, that's not a ringing endorsement of their ability to think on the move. And I'm not talking about Peyton Manning style checks or even stuff like with Jeff Saturday on the sideline. I'm taking about actual Xs and Os.

From my perspective, humbly, I disagree with the comment about Romo needing to be more Aikman like in his leadership abilities. If anything, Romo needs to be more Aikman like in his late game/clutch situations decision making process. Of course, it would certainly help if we had a consistent running game for more than a few quarters here and there.

Drewy, I love your posts, you have great analysis and insight, but I have to respectfully disagree on this particular assessment of Mr. Romo.
UTPATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:28 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

The belief we all share around here is "Let's fix everything around Tony, so he can lead us to wins."
Old 04-05-2013, 02:00 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPATS View Post
I know its been awhile but I just couldnt let this comment slide without saying anything...

The ONE think I see Tony Romo doing on the sidelines and on the field is coaching, teaching, encouraging, and freaking having to grad dumb butt WRs and OL and get them to do what they are suppose to do.

He's played with Witten and Miles for so long he trust them and they generally do a good job of being in the right spot at the right time. (when Austin is healthy)

Dez finally come along this year and learned and started becoming the WR he was drafted to be. Hope he can continue to mature and develop the other aspects of the game.

However, the REST of the YEHOOs are not SMART players, or they are having a really tough time picking things up. I know I don't really have to say anymore about Ogletree. Harris is fairly young and still learning, dude is from East Carolina, not your "Stanford" of the east coast. Beasley is really nothing more than hoping you dont miss the next Amdendola.

When your QB has to go up to your lineman to get things straightened out after a blown blocking assignment or another mental error as much as he has in the past few years, that's not a ringing endorsement of their ability to think on the move. And I'm not talking about Peyton Manning style checks or even stuff like with Jeff Saturday on the sideline. I'm taking about actual Xs and Os.

From my perspective, humbly, I disagree with the comment about Romo needing to be more Aikman like in his leadership abilities. If anything, Romo needs to be more Aikman like in his late game/clutch situations decision making process. Of course, it would certainly help if we had a consistent running game for more than a few quarters here and there.

Drewy, I love your posts, you have great analysis and insight, but I have to respectfully disagree on this particular assessment of Mr. Romo.
Part of the reason I think guys like Aikman are clutch and have the ability to take over with everything on the line is because of their demeanor.

Part of that is having so much confidence if yourself and your ability that you don't care about being liked by your teammates.

You rip into them because only winning matters. The commardarie is secondary.

The reason this team is one of the most talented in the league every year but continues to fall apart year after year is because of a lack of leadership. No one guides the boat through the storm. It's pathetic.

That's the QB's job.

Even when he's had receivers that know routes and lineman that have made pro bowls, he fails to lead. He's a gee golly good guy that fixes tires for randoms on the side of the road. He's not a leader of men.

I'm not saying he can't win it all, I'm just saying he won't be the reason. It'll be good coaching, great defense, and skill players making plays while Tony worries about minimizing mistakes.

Just a tad disappointing for me when I feel like he expects to fail. I think Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, RG3, and Russell Wilson all give off a demeanor like they're Brady or Brees. They expect to win.

Tony is like Rivers, Cutler, McNabb and Matt Ryan. These on the fence, wavering confidence type players that aren't sure of themselves and usually fail.

Last edited by DrewyVuitton : 04-05-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:05 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
In fairness, drew, he said he thought he they wouldn't due to clabo's price tag. I don't think he implied they are not interested, just that they prob couldn't afford.
My bad, you're right. I felt like he insinuated the team wouldn't even try and sorta paraphrased it. Someone asked if it was safe to say he's out of the teams price range and Broaduss responded that it was.

Then he went on to say just because you have money doesn't mean you spend it.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:45 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pumped to hear about Clabo, he was really solid last year.

Quote:
Doesn't matter. We have Doug Free at RT right now, so Winston would be a massive upgrade here. I not concerned about him getting cut twice or why he was cut twice, I'm focusing on his play on the field and it's been solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote