Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
God forbid someone have a contrary opinion.
It's one thing to have a contrary opinion. It's another to have an outlandish opinion with no facts or reason to support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:23 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
Because when we talk about the best 3-4 OLBs in the NFL right now, one of the first names that comes to mind is "Ahmad Brooks".
Yet he finished as Pro Football Focus' 5th best 3-4 OLB in 2012.

Keep talking bro. This is getting hilarious.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:08 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OP, please list your predictions for top 10 defenses next year. That must be pure comedy gold if the 49ers aren't in it.

Maybe all those teams with elite young players and no holes in their secondary. ...... Maybe the Seahawks? Who else?

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:11 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I tried to stay out of this thread because, well, because I figured it would turn out like this, but it was worse than I expected.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:39 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Justin Smith has missed about 3 games in 12 years. He has played in 189 out of 192 games. Its a much more reasonable assumption that he will continue to have a very healthy career. Yes he is aging and he had an injury last year, but he has been very healthy overall.

The 49ers aren't perfect at every spot, but they are still one of the most talented in the league. I would like to see 10 teams more likely times to have a better defense this year, and no the Lions don't count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
It's one thing to have a contrary opinion. It's another to have an outlandish opinion with no facts or reason to support it.
People could just ignore it instead of prolonging this thread 2 pages more than it needed.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:53 AM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
Justin Smith has missed about 3 games in 12 years. He has played in 189 out of 192 games. Its a much more reasonable assumption that he will continue to have a very healthy career. Yes he is aging and he had an injury last year, but he has been very healthy overall.
Because what happens in the past is a perfect replica of what happens in the future, right?

Quote:
The 49ers aren't perfect at every spot, but they are still one of the most talented in the league. I would like to see 10 teams more likely times to have a better defense this year, and no the Lions don't count.
Again, to me, dominant defense is all about the DLine. I look at teams that have dominant DLine players, and in the near future, will have a chance to plug decent guys into the secondary. Building a secondary is not hard to do when you have dominant DLinemen. The 49ers have exactly ONE dominant DLinemen, and he's an older player on the decline physically.

I could easily see the Rams (Long, Quinn, Brockers), Lions (Suh, Fairley, drafting DE high this year probably), Cowboys (Ware, Spencer, Ratliff, Crawford), Giants (Pierre Paul, Jenkins, Joseph, Tuck), Browns (Rubin, Taylor, Sheard, Wynn), Seahawks (Bennett, Clemons, Irvin, Bryant, Mebane, Avril), Chiefs (Poe, Hali and Houston), Ravens (Ngata, Dumervil, Suggs, Upshaw), Bengals (Dunlap, Atkins), Texans (Watt, Reed, Mercilus), Broncos (Miller, Wolfe, Knighton), Panthers (Hardy, Johnson, guy they draft), Packers (Matthews, Perry, Raji, Worthy) all having better defenses than the 49ers in the near future. All of these teams have better DLinemen, even if the LB and/or S situations are unsettled. I'd rather have the team with the better DLinemen because LB and S play is less important and generally more easily manufactured and developed.

All of the DLinemen and pass rushers I listed in parenthesis are players that I feel are better futures bets as being dominant players for teams. I love Justin Smith in 2008-2012 for the 49ers. Best 3-4 DE in the game by far. But in 2013-? I'd take all of the guys I listed in parenthesis over that Justin Smith.
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:09 AM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Because what happens in the past is a perfect replica of what happens in the future, right?

Again, to me, dominant defense is all about the DLine. I look at teams that have dominant DLine players, and in the near future, will have a chance to plug decent guys into the secondary. Building a secondary is not hard to do when you have dominant DLinemen. The 49ers have exactly ONE dominant DLinemen, and he's an older player on the decline physically.

I could easily see the Rams (Long, Quinn, Brockers), Lions (Suh, Fairley, drafting DE high this year probably), Cowboys (Ware, Spencer, Ratliff, Crawford), Giants (Pierre Paul, Jenkins, Joseph, Tuck), Browns (Rubin, Taylor, Sheard, Wynn), Seahawks (Bennett, Clemons, Irvin, Bryant, Mebane, Avril), Chiefs (Poe, Hali and Houston), Ravens (Ngata, Dumervil, Suggs, Upshaw), Bengals (Dunlap, Atkins), Texans (Watt, Reed, Mercilus), Broncos (Miller, Wolfe, Knighton), Panthers (Hardy, Johnson, guy they draft), Packers (Matthews, Perry, Raji, Worthy) all having better defenses than the 49ers in the near future. All of these teams have better DLinemen, even if the LB and/or S situations are unsettled. I'd rather have the team with the better DLinemen because LB and S play is less important and generally more easily manufactured and developed.

All of the DLinemen and pass rushers I listed in parenthesis are players that I feel are better futures bets as being dominant players for teams. I love Justin Smith in 2008-2012 for the 49ers. Best 3-4 DE in the game by far. But in 2013-? I'd take all of the guys I listed in parenthesis over that Justin Smith.
You do realize the 49ers play a 3-4, meaning that having 1 elite player and 2 solid players is actually really good...

You show me a 3-4 team with all 3 of their lineman being elite

*And to mention your I would take so and so over Smith... you are comparing apples to oranges.

A 3-4 lineman will never have the stats or glamour that a 4-3 DE or DT will have, its not their role.

Last edited by Denver Bronco56 : 04-04-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like how his list includes LB's like Mercilus and Perry, but A. Smith apparently doesn't perform well enough to belong in the distinguished company of those 2 "dominant" D-lineman.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:21 AM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
I like how his list includes LB's like Mercilus and Perry, but A. smith apparently doesn't perform well enough to belong in the distinguished company of those 2 "dominant" D-lineman.
I didnt even notice his list includeds alot of 3-4 OLBs...but i agree somehow he leaves off Aldon Smith
Old 04-04-2013, 09:26 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also shudder at the thought of those players to be named later on the Panthers and the Lions. They're so dominant in a hypothetical sort of way.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:27 AM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

I would consider Suh..but that is it between the Lions and Panthers
Old 04-04-2013, 09:32 AM    (permalink
H.O.O.D
Veteran

H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm sick of people just assuming that the 49ers defense will be a top-10 unit forever and ever because they had two (really, one and three-quarters) good years.

I think that the majority of the key contributors (Justin Smith in particular) are on the severe decline. I also believe that after losing their best DB (Dashon Goldson) that secondary will look like even more of a sieve than it had in the last few games of the regular season last year and into the playoffs.

The San Francisco 49ers will *not* finish in the top-10 in points per game allowed and will *not* finish in the top-10 in defensive DVOA (per footballoutsiders.com). That's my big prediction for 2013.

Now, obviously, that' doesn't mean that the 49ers will miss the playoffs or suck as a team, but the days of dominant 49er defense are over, and this team, at its ceiling, will look more like the 2010 Saints or 2011 Packers, *at best*, assuming that the offense progresses even further from last year.
Still trying to figure out who the rest of your "so called majority" key contributors (outside of Justin Smith) to our defense that are on the severe decline ? Also trying to figure out how you can say the days of the dominant defense are over before the San Francisco 49ers Invitational errr NFL Draft has even taken place ?

A load of NFL "experts" have been talking about how this team has the ability to become "dynasty" with all the young talent we possess, and given the number of draft picks in our pocket.

The average age of our defense is 26 and in a few short weeks it will be even younger.

DL - 1 player on this position group is over 30.
LB- ZERO players over 30. One player just turned 29.
DB- 2 players over 30.

So that is 3 players on defense who are over 30. THREE FREAKING PLAYERS. Yet the majority of key contributors are on the "severe decline" ? Puff Puff Pass.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:51 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My problem is he's under-selling McDonald quite a bit. In 2011, McDonald and J. Smith were the best bookend 3-4 DE tandem in the league. McDonald was one of the highest graded 5-Techs that season. He fell off that production in 2012 but he still had a solid year.

The weakest link on our D-Line is now in Philly. His long term replacement has yet to be drafted. But honestly, we could put a UDFA out there and he could give us what Sopoaga gave us last year...nothing.

In a even front though, McDonald and J. Smith inside are still a formidable duo. If we could attain some depth to keep them fresh throughout the year, they'll be even better moving forward. That process already started with the Dorsey signing. The draft should yield more talent and bodies to add to the mix.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:19 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually like the 49ers defense a ton but I could see them falling off, I mean they already did last year. 2012 was nowhere near as dominant as 2011 and Justin Smith was probably the biggest reason.

I see weaknesses with their pass rush and their secondary which is a terrible combination. It all depends on how Aso plays, what they do to replace Gholston and if Justin Smith can replicate 2011. Depending on who replaces Gholston, it could be better for that defense. They have enough big hitters, they need more coverage. Even if Smith does find the fountain of youth, they desperately need another pass rusher. If they fix those things they'll be top 3, if not, I could see them sliding out of the top 10.

But I'm not picking them to drop out. It's not too smart to make proclamations like this before the draft, especially when the 49ers have a bajillion picks. If they add a situational pass rusher (Aldon v2) they'll be fine.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:10 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gholston...Goldson...Gholston...Goldson...why is this so complicated for everyone on the internet? LOL.

Quote:
Old 04-04-2013, 02:30 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post
I actually like the 49ers defense a ton but I could see them falling off, I mean they already did last year. 2012 was nowhere near as dominant as 2011 and Justin Smith was probably the biggest reason.

I see weaknesses with their pass rush and their secondary which is a terrible combination. It all depends on how Aso plays, what they do to replace Gholston and if Justin Smith can replicate 2011. Depending on who replaces Gholston, it could be better for that defense. They have enough big hitters, they need more coverage. Even if Smith does find the fountain of youth, they desperately need another pass rusher. If they fix those things they'll be top 3, if not, I could see them sliding out of the top 10.

But I'm not picking them to drop out. It's not too smart to make proclamations like this before the draft, especially when the 49ers have a bajillion picks. If they add a situational pass rusher (Aldon v2) they'll be fine.
Alot of ppl say this. Even in our own fanbase. Truth is, the defense finished second in the league in FO defensive efficiency rankings. The year before, they finished 3rd. If we go by just regular total defense rankings, we were 3rd in the league in 2012, surrendering 294.4 yards a game....in 2011 we were 4th in total defense, surrendering 308.2 yards a game.

Our run defense did slip from 1st in the league in 2011, giving up only 77.2 yards a game to 4th in 2012, allowing 94.2 yards a game. But our pass defense jumped from 16th in 2011, to 4th in 2012, giving up 30 yards less a game.

Now our sack total dropped...from 42 in 2011 to 38 in 2012. And our scoring defense went up to 17 a game, versus 14 a game in 2011. But is that enough to say we weren't as dominant?

We weren't as dominant as a run defense, but overall we were more efficient and better overall than we were in 2011. I think we were so dominant against the run in 2011 that ppl attached that to our identity overall. But we became a more balanced defense in 2012.

We will definitely miss Goldson. No question. But Haralson coming back is huge, as he is a very good situational pass-rusher and an excellent depth guy along the edge. That's probably the one position on the team we can't afford ANY injuries, even to a depth guy like Haralson.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 04-04-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Lil Quip
Rookie

Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Gholston...Goldson...Gholston...Goldson...why is this so complicated for everyone on the internet? LOL.
A very subtle or even unintentional dig at Goldson? By associating him with Vernon?

And yes there is a difference, but not significant enough to get it out of the realm of pendantry.

I will take it ad infinitum. It is similar to worrying about mixing up Aaron Rodgers of football fame and Mister Rogers of neighborhood fame. Or is Aaron Rogers and Mister Rodgers? Do you know which is right?
Lil Quip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Quip View Post
A very subtle or even unintentional dig at Goldson? By associating him with Vernon?

And yes there is a difference, but not significant enough to get it out of the realm of pendantry.

I will take it ad infinitum. It is similar to worrying about mixing up Aaron Rodgers of football fame and Mister Rogers of neighborhood fame. Or is Aaron Rogers and Mister Rodgers? Do you know which is right?
Just seems weird that everyone gets his name wrong.

I never see folks misspell Rodgers though. And even if it was as frequent, it would make more sense because Rodger and Rogers sound the same. Gholston and Goldson don't. It's like confusing McNabb with McNugget.

Quote:
Old 04-04-2013, 03:42 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.O.O.D View Post
Still trying to figure out who the rest of your "so called majority" key contributors (outside of Justin Smith) to our defense that are on the severe decline ? Also trying to figure out how you can say the days of the dominant defense are over before the San Francisco 49ers Invitational errr NFL Draft has even taken place ?

A load of NFL "experts" have been talking about how this team has the ability to become "dynasty" with all the young talent we possess, and given the number of draft picks in our pocket.

The average age of our defense is 26 and in a few short weeks it will be even younger.

DL - 1 player on this position group is over 30.
LB- ZERO players over 30. One player just turned 29.
DB- 2 players over 30.

So that is 3 players on defense who are over 30. THREE FREAKING PLAYERS. Yet the majority of key contributors are on the "severe decline" ? Puff Puff Pass.

The problem is that outside of Justin Smith, Carlos Rogers, Navarro Bowman, Patrick Willis, and Aldon Smith, NONE of the players are even remotely close to being difference makers or high level talents in any way.

And of that group of five players: Justin Smith and Carlos Rogers are older and in decline, Bowman and Willis play the least important position on defense, and Aldon Smith is good but I'm not sold on elite status and need to see him defeat one-on-one blocks himself without Justin Smith's help.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:44 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
My problem is he's under-selling McDonald quite a bit. In 2011, McDonald and J. Smith were the best bookend 3-4 DE tandem in the league. McDonald was one of the highest graded 5-Techs that season. He fell off that production in 2012 but he still had a solid year.

The weakest link on our D-Line is now in Philly. His long term replacement has yet to be drafted. But honestly, we could put a UDFA out there and he could give us what Sopoaga gave us last year...nothing.

In a even front though, McDonald and J. Smith inside are still a formidable duo. If we could attain some depth to keep them fresh throughout the year, they'll be even better moving forward. That process already started with the Dorsey signing. The draft should yield more talent and bodies to add to the mix.

My God. You have to really be a homer to consider Ray McDonald anything but a "solid" player.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ray McDonald was one of the best 3-4 run defenders on the line last season. I think Pro Football Focus ranked him first in that category with players who played more than 60% of snaps. What a bunch of homers they are down there.

McDonald isn't a Hall of Fame player, but he's a good player and is one of the best 3-4 ends in the league. Better than average that is for certain.

Quote:
Old 04-04-2013, 05:07 PM    (permalink
G Mobile
Veteran

G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

you dismiss Willis and Bowman like you have never seen them play. They make a huge impact on every game. It's obvious if you watch them play. McDonald isn't a top level guy but he is a good run defender and that is what you need out of a 3-4 DE .

You also act like the defense will be static over the next couple years and erode complely. They will draft some more good player. Aldon Smith will develop more into his tools and ability.

Last edited by G Mobile : 04-04-2013 at 05:09 PM.
G Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:37 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The problem is that outside of Justin Smith, Carlos Rogers, Navarro Bowman, Patrick Willis, and Aldon Smith, NONE of the players are even remotely close to being difference makers or high level talents in any way.

And of that group of five players: Justin Smith and Carlos Rogers are older and in decline, Bowman and Willis play the least important position on defense, and Aldon Smith is good but I'm not sold on elite status and need to see him defeat one-on-one blocks himself without Justin Smith's help.
Goodness. You keep backtracking and it's driving me nuts - probably more than it should.

You start this by saying the majority of key contributors are on the severe decline. Call me crazy, but that says starters to me. I don't know how you can't say the starting corners, Brown and Culliver aren't key contributors - but whatever.

You obviously pick and choose which posts to reply to - so I'll do my best to play your game.

Of the contributors to the defense that you deem worthy of mentioning - Justin Smith, Carlos Rogers, Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Aldon Smith - you only list 2 on the decline.

Which is still not the majority.

I'm not finished with the backtracking though.

This originated in the power rankings thread, as to why the 49ers shouldn't be ranked highly by some of the posters here. It then translated to a new thread about how the 49ers won't be in the top 10 this coming season.

In a reply to a direct question about that exact statement you again brought up FUTURE prospects of teams - as if the 49ers will sit on their hands and do nothing, while other teams will improve themselves. The starting point of the 49ers and Lions are drastically different (49ers defense is better in case you're confused) and if they both improve .... I hope you can follow that.

(for Lions fans - this is not an attack on your fanbase or your team, he was simply parading them around pretty heavily earlier)

So if you would:
1. Explain the key contributors - and the majority please.
2. Stick to your original thought - 2013 - stop forecasting excellence in 3 years for teams below the 49ers on defense - and nothing but doom and gloom for them. It's ignorant.
3. Admit you know nothing.

You can skip steps 1 and 2 and skip to 3 if you would like to save yourself time.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:23 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
My God. You have to really be a homer to consider Ray McDonald anything but a "solid" player.
From PFF, after 2011 season...the haven't released the 2012 list list yet

Quote:
Top 10 Pass Rushing 3-4 DE performances

1. Justin Smith (SF), Week 1 vs. Seattle (+7.6)

2. Ray McDonald (SF), Conference Championships vs. New York Giants (+6.5)

3. Justin Smith (SF), Conference Championship vs. New York Giants (+6.0)

4. J.J. Watt (HST), Week 16 at Indianapolis (+5.7)

5. Justin Smith (SF), Week 10 vs. New York Giants (+5.1)

6. J.J. Watt (HST), Week 12 at Jacksonville (+5.0)

7t. Randy Starks (MIA), Week 3 at Cleveland (+4.4)

7t. Antonio Smith (HST), Week 2 at Miami (+4.4)

7t. Calais Campbell (ARZ), Week 14 vs. San Francisco (+4.4)

10t. Tim Jamison (HST), Week 6 at Baltimore (+4.3)

10t. Justin Smith (SF), Divisional Playoff vs. New Orleans (+4.3)

Top 10 Run Defense 3-4 DE performances

1. Glenn Dorsey (KC), Week 17 (+5.8)

2. Justin Smith (SF), Week 6 at Detroit (+4.9)

3. Brett Keisel (PIT), Week 9 vs. Baltimore (+4.4)

4t. Vince Wilfork (NE), Conference Championship vs. Baltimore (+3.9)

4t. Vaughn Martin (SD), Week 8 at Kansas City (+3.9)

4t. Darnell Dockett (ARZ), Week 16 at Cincinnati (+3.9)

7t. Vonnie Holliday (ARZ), Week 17 vs. Seattle (+3.4)

7t. Randy Starks (MIA), Week 2 at Houston (+3.4)

7t. Mike Devito (NYJ), Week 5 at New England (+3.4)

7t. Muhammad Wilkerson (NYJ), Week 7 vs. San Diego (+3.4)

7t. Ray McDonald (SF), Week 1 vs. Seattle (+3.4)

7t. Ray McDonald (SF), Week 13 vs. St Louis (+3.4)

7t. Ryan Pickett (GB), Divisional Playoffs vs. New York Giants (+3.4)
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...efensive-ends/

So I guess they're homers too right? Take note that Justin Smith, Randy Starks, and Ray McDonald were the only guys to make an appearance on both lists.