Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Of course arm strength isn't the end all be all. But you need a certain level of arm strength to succeed, that just goes without saying.

Joe Montana btw had more arm strength than he's given credit for. It wasn't John Elway's arm, but he absolutely had a stronger arm than Dalton.

And the rest...meh? I mean Chad has always been the definition of mediocre, Garcia was never anything special. Brad Johnson was a bus driver.

You need a certain level of arm strength to be a good qb in this league. You can reach a baseline level of "he won't lose us the game" with a weak arm if you are smart and make wise decisions and have great anticipation skills, but that's about it.
I have a lot of Montana games from his career. Probably close to 30 or 35. Wins and losses. He was very streaky at times with his arm strength. He had very good accuracy for what he had to work with though in terms of the velocity he could put on it. Compared to the amount of power he could just put on the ball compared to Dalton, I don't know. I don't think it's that far off. But in terms of accuracy, Montana was better.

Jeff Garcia did look pretty special for a couple of years in San Francisco. He was one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL for a solid two years, arguably three. His arm strength wasn't the issue. And Chad Pennington was mediocre? Really? He was a top quarterback when healthy at the time. Or rather, at least better than "average". Too bad he played most of his prime years in Herman Edward's conservative approach in regards to offense. Matt Hasselbeck is another guy who had a decent arm, but not great arm and was one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL during his prime.

Just as much as you need a certain amount of arm strength in terms of accuracy and velocity (which don't always go hand in hand), you also need good instincts as well. Kerry Collins had a big arm, but his accuracy was sketchy and his decision making wasn't the greatest. Jeff George I already stated. Is Jay Cutler next?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 04-04-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:40 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Remember, above average means he's in the top 15 qbs in the league. 32 teams, 16 is the median, so he'd have to be at least 15 on your list.

For me, right here right now, are there 15 qbs I rather have than Dalton? Yes, I'll list them in no particular order

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Eli Manning
Ben Roethlisberger
Joe Flacco
Matt Ryan
RGIII
Tony Romo
Russel Wilson
Kolin Kaepernick
Cam Newton
Jay Cutler
Matt Stafford
Philip Rivers
Andrew Luck

That's 17 guys for me. For argument's sake, if you don't include the 3 rookies, then he's 14 on the list. But honestly, I see no reason why I wouldn't take the 3 rookies over him.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Remember, above average means he's in the top 15 qbs in the league. 32 teams, 16 is the median, so he'd have to be at least 15 on your list.

For me, right here right now, are there 15 qbs I rather have than Dalton? Yes, I'll list them in no particular order

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Eli Manning
Ben Roethlisberger
Joe Flacco
Matt Ryan
RGIII
Tony Romo
Russel Wilson
Kolin Kaepernick
Cam Newton
Jay Cutler
Matt Stafford
Philip Rivers
Andrew Luck

That's 17 guys for me.
Well that is a specific metric though. For me the 32 starter limit doesn't really hold a boundary for me.

Quote:
Old 04-04-2013, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootylicous View Post
It's much more about decision makings and trusting his reads. His arm strength will improve. He needs to stop locking on AJ. Just go look at the Bengals game last year...he was so easy to read for the DBs.
That'll happen when the Bengals decide he can have more than AJ to play with.
He had Armon Binns and Brandon Tate for the start of 2012. Armon Binns. Brandon Tate.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
That'll happen when the Bengals decide he can have more than AJ to play with.
He had Armon Binns and Brandon Tate for the start of 2012. Armon Binns. Brandon Tate.
I know. He need more weapons. Gresham needs to step up.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I caught a Bengals game early in the season and was really impressed with the speed of Hawkins. Didn't really catch too many Bengal games after that.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:11 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DID YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENED WHEN THEY UNLEASHED SANU FOR HIM?

He'll have the best WR tandem in the league next year, if he can't get it done, then we'll see
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:17 PM    (permalink
VernonLawson89
Veteran

VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

San Francisco 49ers ‏@49ers 1m

#49ers 2013 preseason schedule: Home vs. Denver, Away vs. Kansas City, Home vs. Minnesota, Away vs. San Diego.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

So we will get to see Alex Smith against the 49ers for a little bit this year.

Quote:
Old 04-04-2013, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I know. He need more weapons. Gresham needs to step up.
He has been a bum. Drive killing penalties. Can't block. Drops way too many easy catches. Alligator armed a few over the middle being a puss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
I caught a Bengals game early in the season and was really impressed with the speed of Hawkins. Didn't really catch too many Bengal games after that.
Hawkins is a nice gimmick type player. Really good after the catch. Only problem is, he isn't good getting the ball if he runs a route more than 10 yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
DID YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENED WHEN THEY UNLEASHED SANU FOR HIM?

He'll have the best WR tandem in the league next year, if he can't get it done, then we'll see
1/4 catches was for a TD.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 04-04-2013, 04:58 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jason Hanson hangs up the cleats.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:02 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
He has been a bum. Drive killing penalties. Can't block. Drops way too many easy catches. Alligator armed a few over the middle being a puss.
Good to see a Bengals fan saying this. I only saw a few Cinciy games last year but that was what I saw. I wasn't sure if that was going on across all games or not but he looked pretty gun shy.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:07 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
Good to see a Bengals fan saying this. I only saw a few Cinciy games last year but that was what I saw. I wasn't sure if that was going on across all games or not but he looked pretty gun shy.
Only a handful of them really stick up for him anymore. This is a pretty weak (IMO) TE class so I expect Charles to have every chance to usurp him and I believe Gresh is a FA in 2014 so he may be gone.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 04-04-2013, 05:38 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When I look at what the Giants offered Victor Cruz at 7 million and How Dwayne Bowe got 11 mil per, it's easy to figure out why Cruz could be landing elsewhere. Cruz is definately better than Bowe and Bowe was overpaid.

Giants could be facing an uphill battle to keep their WR.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:49 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
When I look at what the Giants offered Victor Cruz at 7 million and How Dwayne Bowe got 11 mil per, it's easy to figure out why Cruz could be landing elsewhere. Cruz is definately better than Bowe and Bowe was overpaid.

Giants could be facing an uphill battle to keep their WR.
Hard to call Bowe overrated when you look at his production, and then you look over the QB's during his career.

Bowe is a legitimate #1 WR.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
Old 04-04-2013, 07:09 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
So we will get to see Alex Smith against the 49ers for a little bit this year.
If he even plays. It's the preseason.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
Jason Hanson hangs up the cleats.
I kinda thought he was planning to play forever.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:08 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Woah there.

Dalton is not mediocre.
Yeah, he's pretty below average who is only made to look mediocre by A.J. Green.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:09 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jason Hanson got paid a six figure salary for 21 years to kick a ball. Good ******* job, dude.

^What I just did to your argument
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:22 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Jason Hanson got paid a six figure salary for 21 years to kick a ball. Good ******* job, dude.
Jason Hanson is one of the greatest men on the planet, no disparaging words you bad person.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:26 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

The sick part is he still has the leg to kick 50+. Surprised he didn't keep going especially with Lions having playoff aspirations.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 04-05-2013, 12:40 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Talk about living the dream.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:22 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kicker is almost as good as being the third string QB for an NFL team. Six figures to practice against a real NFL defense with no chance of ever actually playing and getting hurt? That's the dream.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:30 AM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

2-3 teams "poking around" at RFA Denario Alexander from Chargers. His tender was original pick (he was undrafted).

Please be Buffalo that is poking, please be Buffalo with the ole poke poke.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 04-05-2013, 01:48 AM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He made a lot more than six figures for much of his career. He made $2.5m last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
The sick part is he still has the leg to kick 50+. Surprised he didn't keep going especially with Lions having playoff aspirations.
Reportedly his heel injury is still bothering him. That, and he is 42.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote