Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

View Poll Results: Who will have the more successful NFL career
Geno Smith 47 49.47%
Matt Barkley 31 32.63%
Honestly, I would bet that BOTH guys are ultimately "irrelevant of not busts all together". 17 17.89%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2013, 10:34 AM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

Akili Smith and Geno Smith both played in a gimmick offense that will not translate to the NFL.

Similar situations in that they both will be overdrafted due to production in a sketchy college offense.
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:13 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The rush yesterday to get veteran QB's pretty well sums up this year's QB crop. It is mediocre by any standard. I don't think either of these 2 guys will be a franchise QB, possibly just average starters for a weak team going nowhere.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:53 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've continued to break these quarterbacks down more and more, and I see both guys having decent NFL careers with moments where people will be able to say 'I told you so' and other moments where doubters can say the same thing. Geno has the higher ceiling of the two, but to see that potential maxed he would be best served to sit and develop for his first year or two.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:22 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With Barkley's pro day last week and the "disappointing" buzz from Greg Cossell amongst others and Narwocki's analysis of Smith getting all the attention this week it's pretty interesting to note that Nassib is flying pretty well under the radar. I think this may benefit him as he does not seem to be as "controversial" as either Smith or Barkley and may be viewed as more of a safe prospect than the other two. The fact that no one has really come out and criticized Nassib may indicate that there is a consensus opinion on him that his stock may be trending upward...just a thought I pulled out of my ass but makes sense to me.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:35 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
Akili Smith and Geno Smith both played in a gimmick offense that will not translate to the NFL.

Similar situations in that they both will be overdrafted due to production in a sketchy college offense.
Please don't compare Akili Smith to Geno Smith.
What was gimmicky about Tedford's offense in 1998??

Colin Kaepernick played in an unconventional college offense. So did RG3.

NFL scouting is more in depth now and I don't think most scouts would have missed the red flags regarding Akili Smith, in that he wasn't a hard worker OFF the football field.
Akili Smith had more in common with Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf than Geno.

If you're going to argue a player's offensive stats are illegitimate, you need to explain why said player is uniquely flawed and his statistical production should be ignored in the draft evaluation process.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:32 PM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

have we discussed how incoherent the third option is yet? because what the ****

also, Geno Smith
sbh15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:52 PM    (permalink
Roddoliver
Rookie

Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chris Weinke from IMG said he's worked with Cam Newton, Christian Ponder, Ryan Tannehill, Russell Wilson and Matt Barkley. He said Barkley might have the best footwork among them all. Weinke said when Barkley is at maximum velocity, his arm is very comparable to Newton. I don't know how much Barkley paid for this compliment, but more points to him.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:04 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
Chris Weinke from IMG said he's worked with Cam Newton, Christian Ponder, Ryan Tannehill, Russell Wilson and Matt Barkley. He said Barkley might have the best footwork among them all. Weinke said when Barkley is at maximum velocity, his arm is very comparable to Newton. I don't know how much Barkley paid for this compliment, but more points to him.
Comments like this are just... wow.

I can understand calling Barkley's arm adequate and all, but Newton's arm is in a different class than Barkleys.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:47 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh15 View Post
have we discussed how incoherent the third option is yet? because what the ****
No but 13 folks chose it, so they aren't too high on either of these prospects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
Again, people seem to get caught up in "the moment"... that being this past year, or the first 6 weeks for Geno.

Up until then, Matt Barkley was the next surefire franchise QB, and had been since he was early in high school.

Geno Smith was David Klingler IMO.
Gaudy stats when the defenses were crappy, but against a good, complex defense, he looked lost.

Last edited by J-Mike88 : 04-03-2013 at 09:49 PM.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I was reading this retread of an article about how this class is the worst in years: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--20...060530895.html - a belief I do not personally agree with.

I am not a huge Geno fan at all but am beginning to feel a little bad for him. He doesn't deserve all this criticism. Do I think he is worthy of Top10 pick no but he will be a first rounder. Same goes for Barkley who gets way to much flak. In the article he is compared to Chad Pennington - is that really a bad thing? Pennington was a damn good QB when healthy. He had adequate arm strength and made good decisions with the ball - that really outweighs the importance of arm strength. People who get hung up on arm strength as the main factor in drafting a QB are just dumb and refuse to look at all the qualities that make up a good QB. The only knock on Barkley is his arm strength (which is actually better than critics say it is). He has all the other qualities needed - especially accuracy. Today's passing offense is much more horizontal then vertical - it is all about making plays in space and having a QB who can get the ball to the playmakers.

Sorry for the rant - just tired of all the same old retread articles out there year after year from people who don't know what they are talking about yet somehow have jobs writing about football and the draft.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:00 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
So I was reading this retread of an article about how this class is the worst in years: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--20...060530895.html - a belief I do not personally agree with.

I am not a huge Geno fan at all but am beginning to feel a little bad for him. He doesn't deserve all this criticism. Do I think he is worthy of Top10 pick no but he will be a first rounder. Same goes for Barkley who gets way to much flak. In the article he is compared to Chad Pennington - is that really a bad thing? Pennington was a damn good QB when healthy. He had adequate arm strength and made good decisions with the ball - that really outweighs the importance of arm strength. People who get hung up on arm strength as the main factor in drafting a QB are just dumb and refuse to look at all the qualities that make up a good QB. The only knock on Barkley is his arm strength (which is actually better than critics say it is). He has all the other qualities needed - especially accuracy. Today's passing offense is much more horizontal then vertical - it is all about making plays in space and having a QB who can get the ball to the playmakers.

Sorry for the rant - just tired of all the same old retread articles out there year after year from people who don't know what they are talking about yet somehow have jobs writing about football and the draft.
You're right about Pennington.
He was good for awhile, while healthy.
He succeeded.
He also made himself a lot of $ in the NFL.

He's an example of why I like the NFL doing what they can to protect QB's, I just don't like to see good QB's go downhill from injury. Carson Palmer was the worst. He was so great before his ACL was chopped out.
Another reason why I respect the hell out of Tom Brady for coming back from the cheap hit on his.
NFL needs to protect QB's.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:34 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

How about Geno Smith of Ryan Nassib?

"If the Bills really like him, and they think he's the best guy on the board, why not take him at eight?'' Gruden said. Eight is where the Bills pick in round one. "Why take even the slightest risk he wouldn't be there later?"

Nassib met Smith, the presumptive top quarterback in the draft, three times. When they met for the first time, in Morgantown in 2010, West Virginia had won seven straight meetings in the series between the two schools.
In the three meetings -- at Morgantown, Syracuse and Yankee Stadium (for the Pinstripe Bowl last December) -- Nassib won every one, by scores of 19-14, 49-23 and 38-14. Average margin of victory: Syracuse by 18.3.

In the three games, Smith out-statted Nassib, throwing for 295 more yards, but made more mistakes. Nassib's touchdown-to-interception differential was 7-1, Smith's 5-5.

I could tell by listening to Gruden he likes Nassib. A lot.

"Here's a guy who went 3-0 against Geno Smith,'' Gruden said.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz2Q7ciYaEh
Old 04-25-2013, 09:51 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
Barkley is going to be better because he is going to fall farther and not going to be relied on to play soon.
I wonder how our answers are going to be now that both are still available here in the mid 20's as of now....