Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 04-08-2013, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Are teams playing us, or are we playing ourselves?

Every single time a team picking at the top of the draft comments or shows any interest whatsoever in a player, the media driven knee jerk reaction is that the team is throwing up a smoke screen and we mostly buy it. My question is why is there always this assumption? You know, these teams really don't owe us anything and they could simply be expressing their opinion on said player. I believe that the vast majority of these instances show that teams are simply doing their due diligence so that they know the prospects. It is possible to be impressed with a candidate you don't intend to select. Thoughts?
Black Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:23 PM    (permalink
dawhizz
Rookie

dawhizz hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would say the teams are trying to play each other. And we (draftniks or whatever you would prefer to call yourself) are mostly just playing each other. I think there's probably different actions that can be taken different ways. For instance, if a team brings a guy in for a visit, or conduct a private workout, it's hard for me to believe that's a complete smoke screen, because that's such a complete waste of time. I do think there are workouts teams want everyone to know about and those that they are more secretive about, but in the current media climate, it's pretty hard to keep anything quiet. However, I think a lot of the rumors that end up saying "a high ranking-official told me that X team is high on Y" or "a scout told me they have no interest in Z" is more likley to be teams trying to not only get some misinformation out there, but also to gauge reaction around the NFL and even from its own fan base (not as crazy as it sounds).
dawhizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:14 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At this point, 95% of this is all media driven. I mean, how many Draft Kniks had Bruce Irvin as a 1st round pick? After Seattle took him at 15, The Jets pretty much said they wanted him at 16 the very next pick.

The combine is also not weighed as much stock either. It gets teams to get a feel for players, but it's there tape that really counts, not in shorts.

I'd say, the Cheifs pretty much have their mind made up, unless they get an offer and move down.

Most teams already know what they need and what player they're targeting. And have all these back up plans organized and have had their Draft Boards set for the past 2-3 months now. They want to get a feel for these guys in the interviews and visits, but they really either remove them from the board or they remain confident in that player.

For example. I think the Bucs have a plan and deal set in place for the 13th pick to go to the Jets.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:47 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would have to agree with the above notion of the teams playing each other.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We're all playing each other all the time. Sometimes, we're even playing with ourselves.