Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Pshhhh, Calvin is the greatest safe pick of all time.
I didn't say all. I said most. Some guys are just freaks.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:48 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

AJ Green wasn't entirely safe either. I remember some buzz about people being concerned about his wonderlic. He was Mario Manningham level dumb apparently.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:51 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There hasn't really been a safe receiver pick besides Calvin and Fitz in the last decade plus.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:54 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
AJ Green wasn't entirely safe either. I remember some buzz about people being concerned about his wonderlic. He was Mario Manningham level dumb apparently.
i never even heard that...some of the dumbest players in the league are adrian peterson, chris johnson, dez bryant, felix jones, patrick peterson, mo claiborne...most of which couldnt pass a third grade spelling test but whos the only one you hear about being dumb? dez because of the character concerrnzzzz, which is really just being immature, which is almost expected from pampered athletes. Crack baby athletic association approves of where dez is at this point

Never heard of green being a big dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:54 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are safe picks, and there are guys who are constantly described as "the safest pick in the draft." If the highest praise that anybody can come up with is "yes, they should take him because the safest pick in the draft" -- if that's the only justification people can muster for groupthinking him into the top of their mock drafts -- then he's probably being overvalued.

Last edited by WCH : 04-11-2013 at 07:57 PM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:55 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

OT is usually the safe pick every draft. I personally think OT has become way overvalued lately but that's just me.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:55 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No way BBD. AJ Green was as safe as Calvin.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:56 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

If I had to bet on a "safe pick" this year that will disappoint, I guess Luke Joekel would be my guy.

Or Dee Milner, if you consider him "safe"
Old 04-11-2013, 07:58 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
No way BBD. AJ Green was as safe as Calvin.
I'm not saying those concerns were valid, but I did hear of them around draft time. Maybe it was swept under the rug quickly, but I'm almost positive I read about that on PFT or some website.

I love AJ btw. He's such a stud. I'd love to see him with a better qb, I think he can be almost as good as Megatron with a better qb.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:59 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't say it is impossible with AJ. That is for sure.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
Old 04-11-2013, 08:04 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aaron Curry was the "safe pick" couple years back
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:06 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Who was last year's "safe" pick?

Andrew Luck? Yeaaaah...that was a good safe pick. Last year was not a typical draft class though.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:07 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Oh how can I forget Trent Richardson? I'd say the book is still out on him, but I expect him to be good.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:08 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

950yds and 11 TD's while being banged up all year says so far, so good for T-Rich.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 04-11-2013, 08:10 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For those of you who were questioning the patriots for giving Sanders a 1 year deal (Per Jason Cole):

Quote:
There is no rule in the collective bargaining agreement against extending a restricted free agent in this situation.

The only rule in Article 9, Section 3 that applies to this situation is a set of language that prevents the "New Club" (New England, in this scenario) from reducing the player's salary in the first year.
There's a bit of explanation as to how they might go about turning it into a long term deal if they so chose.

Scott Pioli said (on NBC Sports) that the Patriots offering more money this year is a tactic to either get him to sign now as an RFA or potentially next year as a UFA, basically having the player think "The Patriots offered way more than the Steelers, so they want me more than the Steelers do."
Old 04-11-2013, 08:35 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

It's hard to evaluate WR moves by the Patriots bc of the system they run. They don't like drafting WRs bc they run a very complicated option route offense. Their WR rules are very similar to the Giants.

That's why BB wants vet WRs. They have a much easier time adjusting to the scheme than a rookie would.

Sanders could very well thrive in this scheme, or he could suck. But the key to remember when evaluating Sanders is knowing if he has the mental aptitude to thrive in this scheme. Bc that's what matters. Not necessarily his athleticism but his ability to run option routes.

If NE feels that he can thrive then he's a good pick, but if that's not his strong suit then this is a bad move.

That's why Chad Johnson was such a disaster for them. He was old and washed up, but he also has always been a terrible route runner and struggled with playbooks his whole career. You throw him into a complex scheme like that and he was a recipe for disaster.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:36 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I was surprised they didn't go after Stevie Johnson when they had the chance last year to be honest. Stevie ran the same style offense under Gailey in Buffalo and thrived in it. And he was a deep threat.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

Stevie was never going to make it to FA. We were in contract discussions with him from the beginning of the offseason.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 04-11-2013, 08:47 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's hard to evaluate WR moves by the Patriots bc of the system they run. They don't like drafting WRs bc they run a very complicated option route offense. Their WR rules are very similar to the Giants.

That's why BB wants vet WRs. They have a much easier time adjusting to the scheme than a rookie would.

Sanders could very well thrive in this scheme, or he could suck. But the key to remember when evaluating Sanders is knowing if he has the mental aptitude to thrive in this scheme. Bc that's what matters. Not necessarily his athleticism but his ability to run option routes.

If NE feels that he can thrive then he's a good pick, but if that's not his strong suit then this is a bad move.

That's why Chad Johnson was such a disaster for them. He was old and washed up, but he also has always been a terrible route runner and struggled with playbooks his whole career. You throw him into a complex scheme like that and he was a recipe for disaster.
sanders is a brilliant route runner..its tough to really say for sure but i see him doing well there. One thing i am sure of is a rookie can out produce sanders in the steelers offense, but being the patriots offense is so complicated its doubtful one would there..steelers dont run a complicated offense at all, its short/intermediate routes under haley and if those fist few reads dont pan out its get down field as far as you can while ben spins around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:51 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
its short/intermediate routes under haley and if those fist few reads dont pan out its get down field as far as you can while ben spins around
60 minutes had that down to a science.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 04-12-2013, 06:42 AM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Who was last year's "safe" pick?

Andrew Luck? Yeaaaah...that was a good safe pick. Last year was not a typical draft class though.
Luke Kuechly and David DeCastro were considered pretty safe picks as well.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:16 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu_22 View Post
Luke Kuechly and David DeCastro were considered pretty safe picks as well.
Yeah last year was a damn good draft.

This year I guess we can say that Joekel, Warmack and Cooper are probably considered the safe picks. All OLmen.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Bengals re-signed RB Bernard Scott and signed OL Mike Pollack and TE Alex Smith. Dansby or Harrison one of them will more then likely be signed before the draft to play SOLB.

RIP themaninblack
Pat Sims 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:17 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Winfield's going to choose between Seattle, Washington, and Minny this weekend.

I'd love to upgrade nickel but if we don't land him I think we have enough options to have a good competition. I also think if they like Guy enough (he played some snaps in the Atlanta game - actually blitzed on their last drive... ugh), Thomas could play some nickel.

But I love Winfield. He's just one of this generations fixtures at CB. Not the greatest player but he found a niche and he'll always be remembered as one of, if not the, best tackling CBs of the 2000s.

I'd love for him to chase a ring in Seattle. The talent in the secondary would be incredible...
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:47 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

He left Buffalo without ever listening to an offer. He just wanted out after his rookie contract was up.

For that, I can not tout him, but I do respect he was the best tackling CB in the NFL for many years.

Sig by the King BK

Quote: