Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:59 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default When should the NFL expand again?

This offseason could be an outlier but, if it's not, it would appear the owners have arrived at some sort of favorable equilibrium where it is no longer necessary to overpay older or problem players that were good once. Lots of upper-shelf talents are sitting around without jobs right now. For example:

Charles Woodson
James Harrison
Karlos Dansby
Dwight Freeney
Brandon Moore
Brian Urlacher
Eric Winston
John Abraham
Tyson Clabo
Shaun Phillips
Kerry Rhodes
Antoine Winfield
Bryant McKinnie
Bart Scott
Richard Seymour
Israel Idonije
Ray Edwards

Most of these guys are still young or talented enough that they could still contribute to a roster, but owners would rather pay a rookie 20% of the money and get 80% of the production. I don't blame them, but especially once the new TV contacts start and the money gets beyond ridiculous, will it make sense to add two new teams?

Or would that still stretch the talent too thin and water down the NFL product? What other reasons are there to not expand? If they did add 2 teams, what cities would be the best or most-obvious landing spots?

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Vikings4ever
Veteran

Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd rather see the rosters get expanded than the league.
Vikings4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:21 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think every single one of those players (maybe one or two, Dansby?) are 30 or older.

Most, if not all, will get a contract after the draft.

We (and PFF + rotoworld) love Eric Winston, yet he keeps getting cut and NFL teams aren't eager to sign him. Somewhere there's a disconnect.

The NFL is fine with 32 teams. The last thing we need is two more teams starting two horrible QBs.

A lot of those guys are borderline worthless too (Bart Scott, James Harrison).

And for Brandon Moore, who's still good, I suspect he's just asking for more money than teams want to pay an old guard, especially considering this draft class.

And that's probably the case for a couple of those names on there.

And Winfield's going to sign somewhere very soon...

Those guys are all old lol.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:22 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe raise the roster limit from 53 to 56?

I don't like the thought of expanding the league.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:47 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post

We (and PFF + rotoworld) love Eric Winston, yet he keeps getting cut and NFL teams aren't eager to sign him. Somewhere there's a disconnect.
I don't see what people love about him so much.

But anyways, yeah the remaining players are old. The only thing we're seeing is that teams are going to wait and sign older players until they see if they can draft younger ones.

Brandon Moore is one of the better guards in the league, but with the rookie pay scale you can get a guy who's going to get paid similar to what I think Moore will get, but he can be there for a long time.

With the CBA I think we'll start seeing more and more of teams retaining their own young players via contract extensions before they ever hit FA, the only one's that will likely hit FA are the ones that simply want way too much, or the ones that are older and may want too long of a contract for their age.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

there are very little markets that do not already have a team that could support one... and even some of the markets teams have now are having trouble supporting them.

But raising the roster limit would help but the trouble then would be to what number? and then you would have to increase the salary cap to be able to pay the extra players... then that would mean the teams would need more money

alot of variables
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:35 PM    (permalink
G Mobile
Veteran

G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Increase the roster sizer and cap instead of adding more teams. There aren't enough QBs as it is right now and adding in more would make it worse.
G Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:10 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Mobile View Post
Increase the roster sizer and cap instead of adding more teams. There aren't enough QBs as it is right now and adding in more would make it worse.
You mean you don't want to see another team QB'd by Tim Tebow?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:23 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
The NFL is fine with 32 teams. The last thing we need is two more teams starting two horrible QBs.
Yeah, we already have the Jets starting Sanchez and the Jags starting Blaine Gabbert.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:27 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Expand the weekly rosters would be the 1st step in the right direction. We've reached the right # of teams to where there's equal balance in terms of both the AFC/NFC and each division. I don't think that balance is equaled by other pro sports leagues.

Agree, most of the players listed will be signed after the draft, during training camps or sometime during the season. The draft offers relatively cheap talent for teams. The rookie $ pool is far better now than it was before the new CBA went into affect.

I don't think there's enough talent to fill out two more teams. We already have enough lousy tackles as is. Where do you get the extra QBs from as well?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:02 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone think this is a result of the rookie wage scale? The idea was supposed to be that veterans were supposed to get the big payouts instead of rookies, but it seems more like it just incentivizes teams to release their expensive players and draft cheap replacements.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:20 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
Does anyone think this is a result of the rookie wage scale? The idea was supposed to be that veterans were supposed to get the big payouts instead of rookies, but it seems more like it just incentivizes teams to release their expensive players and draft cheap replacements.
No, because picks after 32 now get more money than before and teams were already not going to cut first rounders.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:25 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Expansion is what the league always wants, I find it stupid.

They want the NFL to reach Europe so bad, maybe they should try to convince 8 countries in Europe to get teams to make their own mini league and try to develop it there, wash ups can go play there or UFA who want to make a name.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:17 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The division structure is just so perfect right now I don't want to see any teams added to it.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:20 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

London team!!!!!!!

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:03 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As others fave said, they shouldn't expand because there is a severe shortage of quarterbacks in the league. Adding more teams would just water things down.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:09 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Besides good players is used loosely.

I never understood what Bart Scott did so well to earn that contract, but he surely didn't produce what the Jets had hoped for in the 4 years after.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
Old 04-11-2013, 09:44 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Look at it this way, the more teams there are, the more chance we have of seeing Tebow starting.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:52 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Look at it this way, the more teams there are, the more chance we have of seeing Tebow starting.
And Brady Quinn and Jamarcus and Leinart. The possibilities are endless.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 04-11-2013, 10:08 PM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why overpay for an aging, declining player when you can sign a young guy who might not have the full production, but is cheaper and more likelihood of improving?
Woodson is coming off an injury riddled down year, Urlacher is widely regarded as being one of the worst MLB's last year and got injured, Freeney has performed average and wants $6 mil a year, I mean, why sign these guys.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:13 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's twofold in my opinion. There is definitely a process going on to replace high paid veterans with cheaper talent, the union actually screwed their veterans by accepting the rookie wage scale. When you have a 2 tier pay system this is what happens.

However, the whole process was speeded up considerably by a flat cap, which will also take place again next year. Teams who had spent near the cap limit for years soon realized that the cap increase this season wouldn't be enough to handle the rising player salaries and a real cap doghouse was now quite possible and will remain so for next season as well.

This is causing a real change in team strategy towards salary. They are realizing that their stars especially their QB, must be paid huge dollars and that the farther you get from being a star, you are going to get peanuts for playing one of the toughest sports in the world, where short careers are the norm. This has meant that for the most part, franchising a player to retain his services for a huge salary boost, has practically come to a halt, and more and more, veterans are going to be asked to take pay cuts to retain their jobs.

The players are going to quickly realize that the new CBA was a total victory for the owners, that without rookie salaries to drive up payrolls, the owners can now bring in cheap labour, to replace expensive veterans and almost every team will carry a minimum of 6 or 7 rookies even if they aren't as good as the players they are replacing. It will be an actual pool of scabs who are supported by the Player's Union.

The result will be a far less talented NFL, but the NFL knows that as long as the stars are retained, the fans won't even notice the deterioration of the overall play.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:42 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys make a good case for expanded roster sizes, but will that really make more money for the owners? If not, I don't expect them to do it.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:57 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What I think is starting to happen is there will be two distinct philosophies around the league;

1. Teams will look to resign more of their own guys and keep a solid nucleus for as long as possible

2. Teams will use a large portion of their cap on a few players - franchise QBs etc are getting paid ridiculous money because that is the market value, top defensive players getting $100m contracts etc.

What both options then need to do is fill out their roster with relatively cheap options and the rookie wage scale means that those options are more likely to come from the draft.

As has been mentioned already, these guys will sign, but it will likely be in the Summer after the draft. Why bring in Dwight Freeney if you can get a guy like Ziggy Ansah for less money and a longer deal? A few years ago Ansah would have cost more than Freeney and you didn't know what you would get, but it's not the same anymore. Those teams still with holes to fill will pick these guys up. For the ones who are looking more than what teams are willing, we will see how high their price tag is in August

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote