Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 04-12-2013, 04:50 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
Yeah, but before the rule everyone was declaring and teams were making awful decisions. Those guys were not ready for the NBA.
The idea that this rule is saving high school kids from theirselves is largely a myth IMO. Since 1989 45 players have been drafted out of HS, and 29 of them are guys ranging from stars to guys that have had sustained NBA careers.

Shawn Kemp
Kobe
Garnett
Jermaine O'Neal
Tracy Mcgrady
Al Harrington
Rashard Lewis
DeShawn Stevenson
Kwame Brown
Tyson Chandler
Amare Stoudamire
Lebron
Travis Outlaw
Kendrick Perkins
Dwight Howard
Shawn Linvingston (he really still is in the league, I promise)
Sebastian Telfair
Al Jefferson
Josh Smith
JR Smith
Dorell Wright
CJ Miles
Martell Webster
Gerald Green
King Monta Ellis
Andray Blatche
Lou Wiliams
Amir Johnson

Darius Miles would have had a longer career without the injury problems. And who knows, maybe if Eddy Curry could have avoided becoming 800 pounds he could have stuck around. There are guys that burned out, but was it really at a much higher rate than the college guys? Or was it at a higher rate at all?

I count 13-14 guys on that list who are all star level players or were at some point in their career.

Last edited by yo123 : 04-12-2013 at 05:18 PM.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:53 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
Yeah, but before the rule everyone was declaring and teams were making awful decisions. Those guys were not ready for the NBA.
That's on the teams though. An 18 year old kid should be able to choose if he wants to go pro or not in my opinion.

I'd be cool with no rule at all, or the rule where if you go to college you have to stay for 2 years.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:19 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And Eddy McCurry I'm pretty sure is being paid by the Knicks for another 2030 years or something stupid, so he's technically still employed by the NBA!

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:28 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Remember when DeShawn Stevenson was being compared to MJ? Good times.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:39 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sebastian Telfair was supposed to be the best PG to ever come out of NY period.

Darius Miles was legit though, if his knee didn't go.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:41 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shaun Livingston has resurrected his career backing up Irving.

Have it your way, with BK (BoneKrusher)
BuckeyeDan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:45 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
Sebastian Telfair was supposed to be the best PG to ever come out of NY period.
I saw Telfair play in person during some tournament at Pauley Pavilion. Lebron's team played as well. Lebron was great, but honestly Telfair stood out more. He was the best high school player I've ever seen and I've seen/played against some damn good ones (multiple NBA stars).
Old 04-12-2013, 05:49 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce2walker View Post
I saw Telfair play in person during some tournament at Pauley Pavilion. Lebron's team played as well. Lebron was great, but honestly Telfair stood out more. He was the best high school player I've ever seen and I've seen/played against some damn good ones (multiple NBA stars).
I saw Monta Ellis play in person. He was small but he was AMAZING.

As for Telfair - I remember watching his documentary they filmed his senior year when he was deciding about college or Pro. It literally seemed he chose PRO not only because he was awesome but a big part was he couldn't qualify for college.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
Old 04-12-2013, 06:15 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

Hairston returning to UNC. That is huge for the Tar Heels.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 04-12-2013, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Still surprised Hurley turned down Rutgers.
He wanted an 8 year contract. We would only go up to 5.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:19 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeDan17 View Post
Shaun Livingston has resurrected his career backing up Irving.

Eh, Livingston was well on his way to having an above average career before the knee explosion.

Really, the one and done rule might masquerade as protecting high schoolers, but I have little doubt a factor weighing heavily on it was to protect owners from investing money in an 18 year old unproven. It's their own fault for taking the risk, but I'm sure that's one reason they imposed it.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:19 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

Quote:
As for Telfair - I remember watching his documentary they filmed his senior year when he was deciding about college or Pro. It literally seemed he chose PRO not only because he was awesome but a big part was he couldn't qualify for college.
He wouldn't be the first or only one to have done so.

Also, in reference to yo's list, I'm pretty sure Shawn Kemp played a community college or a JUCO before going pro. He didn't go straight from high school.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:26 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce2walker View Post
He wouldn't be the first or only one to have done so.

Also, in reference to yo's list, I'm pretty sure Shawn Kemp played a community college or a JUCO before going pro. He didn't go straight from high school.
Unless wikipedia lied to me he went to a CC for a semester but didn't play, so same thing really.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:33 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eventually the NCAA's grip on these kids will end. If it's not the Ed O'Bannon case it will be something else.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:08 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Unless wikipedia lied to me he went to a CC for a semester but didn't play, so same thing really.
Fair enough, I think I'm just used to seeing him being drafted out "random CC"
Old 04-14-2013, 08:06 AM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

Burke declares.

Is Hardaway and McGary next?

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 04-14-2013, 10:19 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm more surprised that Sebastian Telfair is still in the league as opposed to Livingston. I really liked Livingston's game, it always seamed Telfair was overmatched in the league.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:47 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Burke declares.

Is Hardaway and McGary next?
Last I had heard, Hardaway was leaning towards leaving and GRIII was more likely to go than McGary.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:48 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The team who will land Wiggins will be fun to watch.

He's so ******* good.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:47 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootylicous View Post
The team who will land Wiggins will be fun to watch.

He's so ******* good.
Bill Self sounded pretty confident on the radio last week. Obviously, he couldn't say anything directly, but he dropped some definite hints that he felt they had the inside track on him.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:57 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
Last I had heard, Hardaway was leaning towards leaving and GRIII was more likely to go than McGary.
I think Hardaway should stay. He seems like a second round pick, IMO. With his dad being a scout and former superstar, though, I'm sure he's getting solid advice.

I think GRIII would be a lottery pick, so I'd go if I were him.

McGary could be hurt by his small sample size. If he had 20 games doing what he did in the tournament, he'd be a mortal lock to go top-10 IMO. I think he could really help himself by sticking around for another season as "The Man."

Last edited by WCH : 04-14-2013 at 02:25 PM.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:17 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I think Hardaway should stay. He seems like a second round pick, IMO. With his dad being a scout and former superstar, though, I'm sure he's getting solid advice.

I think GRIII would be a lottery pick, so I'd go if I were him.

McGary could be hurt by his small sample size. If he had 20 games doing what he did in the tournament, he'd be a mortal lock to go top-10 IMO. I think he could really help himself by sticking around for another season as "The Man."
I actually think Robinson could benefit by coming back.

McGary would be wise to come back and improve as a player. If he were to go to the NBA now I really think he could be out of the league in a couple of years.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:12 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think GRIII should go. Next year's draft is supposed to be loaded while this year's is pretty weak. He has a chance to go late lottery this year. If he comes back, he likely won't improve his draft stock much even if he improves his game. McGary, I'm unsure of but I would lean towards suggesting he comes back. I think there is a lot of hype around him right now because of his tournament play. After the dust settles, I'm not sure he goes as high as some are projecting him right now.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:28 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
I actually think Robinson could benefit by coming back.

McGary would be wise to come back and improve as a player. If he were to go to the NBA now I really think he could be out of the league in a couple of years.
McGary will lose money if he waits. His stock will never be higher than it is now.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:08 AM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

Len officially declared.

I agree that he could have used another year, but you don't find many 7 footers with his athleticism. Guaranteed Top 5 pick when the dust clears imo.

Sig by the King BK

Quote: