Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 04-12-2013, 10:45 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With the state of the economy right now and its not going to get better in the foreseeable future, I would do it. Right now I'm taking 17 credits to finish my last semester of school and I work two jobs seven days a week so I'm pretty much already doing 80 hours in a sense. Honestly I have gotten used to it pretty quickly, and I'm not even getting paid what you would be making. At the very least, thats something I would take right now for a couple years if youre making six figures and then when youve put enough away work your 9-5 job and coast. A couple of hard years of work sounds like it could grant you a much earlier retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:46 AM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do about 5 hours a week right now. I worked over 50 one summer and that was awful, mainly because it was manual labor. If I get a sweet job I could work 60+ for awhile.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:47 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Living the dream, Damix. I won't lie, I absolutely LOVE teaching and that's my main reason for wanting to be a teacher, but the fact I get most of the summer off and do not have to work insane hours is a big perk too.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:49 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm in IT. I could do 60. and that's stretching it big time.
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:50 AM    (permalink
andyjo672
Veteran

andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Not for very long. I have too much going on. If I were single and unattached, I'd consider doing that for a few years to amass some wealth. But not more than a couple years at the most. Even then I think I'd always question whether losing a few years of my life was worth it. As a family man I would not even consider working those hours.
I'm married, and our lifestyle works for us. She's also got a great, high paying job that requires her to put in probably 70 hours a week. We both have an understanding and the amount of money we make, with no kids, really affords us the opportunity to have nice things and enjoy the time off that we do have with great vacations, etc.
andyjo672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:51 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
With the state of the economy right now and its not going to get better in the foreseeable future, I would do it. Right now I'm taking 17 credits to finish my last semester of school and I work two jobs seven days a week so I'm pretty much already doing 80 hours in a sense. Honestly I have gotten used to it pretty quickly, and I'm not even getting paid what you would be making. At the very least, thats something I would take right now for a couple years if youre making six figures and then when youve put enough away work your 9-5 job and coast. A couple of hard years of work sounds like it could grant you a much earlier retirement.
Haha, I feel you man, I've had to deal with that crap too. You definitely get into a routine with it, but afterwards I realize just how awful it is. Long term it can put a terrible strain on your body and mind. To me, that's just not worth it.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:56 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjo672 View Post
I'm married, and our lifestyle works for us. She's also got a great, high paying job that requires her to put in probably 70 hours a week. We both have an understanding and the amount of money we make, with no kids, really affords us the opportunity to have nice things and enjoy the time off that we do have with great vacations, etc.
I think it'd take a perfect pairing to make that work, sounds like you found the right wife. I have two kids so I would/could not do what you do, but I can see how in your situation it would work, especially if you both enjoy your careers.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:59 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
During football and/or softball season when I am coaching, I put in some 60/70 hour weeks and by Saturday I a dragging ass. I do it because I love it, but when the season ends, I'm not always "sad to see it go". If I were at a desk for most of the 80/100, perhaps I could do it, but I had better love the hell out of what I am doing.
Yup, when directing, I easily hit the 60-70 mark. 80-100 though? I'll pass.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:04 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love to work, so I would be receptive to that sort of thing unless it involved manual labor or was something terrible like food service or retail. I'm expecting to work up to around 40 hours per week this coming Fall, right now I only work about 30.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:45 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been anywhere between 55-70 the last 8 months since starting work after school. There have been a few weeks where it has been up around 80, but that might happen once every 6 weeks. I don't mind working but I'd like to keep it as close to 50 as possible.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:27 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd like to hear some of our non-US posters comment. My impression is that the workaholic culture is primarily a US and Japan thing.

i done stole dis sig
Old 04-12-2013, 12:38 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have worked an 80 hour week. I couldn't do it consistently. I try my hardest to stay under 50 most of the time. Work-Life balance is a thing. If you don't have time to spend that money a lot of your energy feels wasted.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:42 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Consistently in the 55-60 hour range.

A lot of people I know are about the same. The 40 hour work week doesn't seem to be as common anymore I've noticed.

I've done 80 hour work weeks when my brother has been on vacation - I couldn't see myself doing that on a consistent week to week basis.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:00 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'd like to hear some of our non-US posters comment. My impression is that the workaholic culture is primarily a US and Japan thing.
Don't forget Korea.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:02 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Working more than 40 a week gets greatly diminishing returns.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:07 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well obviously in the US, working a lot is incentivized more than in most other countries.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:16 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Well obviously in the US, working a lot is incentivized more than in most other countries.
Or actually legal.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:20 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Could you expound? It's not like the US has some ridiculously high standard of living compared to other developed countries that would validate the high volume of work that is for some reason acceptable here. We don't have the strongest economy, the most-educated populace, or the happiest/most-content citizens. At least based on the available studies I've seen.

i done stole dis sig
Old 04-12-2013, 02:32 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Could you expound? It's not like the US has some ridiculously high standard of living compared to other developed countries that would validate the high volume of work that is for some reason acceptable here. We don't have the strongest economy, the most-educated populace, or the happiest/most-content citizens. At least based on the available studies I've seen.
This is all true. Its a workaholic norm that a lot of Americans are forced into because that is what society tells them they need to do to succeed. A lot of people believe "that's why American is so great", but in reality America isn't the greatest by most metrics.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:29 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
During football and/or softball season when I am coaching, I put in some 60/70 hour weeks and by Saturday I a dragging ass. I do it because I love it, but when the season ends, I'm not always "sad to see it go". If I were at a desk for most of the 80/100, perhaps I could do it, but I had better love the hell out of what I am doing.
I know you've logged some long hours for Uncle Sam so we both know it's possible. In the real world who would want to though.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote