Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-12-2013, 04:29 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A lot of people are high on Sly Williams. I don't see top-15 but I could see top 25.

To be fair, this wasnt attributed to any particular team so there is no smoke screen involved. Just people in the business telling Lande that Sly is higher on teams boards than he is with the media.

There is a difference between his opinions/mocks and the information given to him by people in the know.

It would be one thing if he said "this team is in love with player X" -- that would be a red flag for a potential smoke screen. It's an entirely different thing for him to say he's heard from multiple, undisclosed teams that they have Sly as high at the #2 DT on the board

Warren Sapp, who is never shy about giving an honest opinion, worked with Sly and said he really likes him. Just something to keep in mind.
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:08 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Sly a lot.

I wouldn't hate him at 18 depending on the board available. If we say that Cooper, Richardson, Vaccaro, Star, Warmack, Johnson, and the rest of the normal cast are all gone by our pick. We would be looking at Sly, Fluker, Cyprien, and Patton/Austin I would certainly lean Sly there. Granted in that scenario I hope Rhodes has fallen and we can work the phones with the Niners for a trade down.

Lande's evaluations are top-notch and I *normally* agree with a lot he has to say but that last mock was all over the place. Leaving Cooper out of the first round entirely is egregious considering he grades him out extremely well.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:46 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If there are still any "Honey Badger" fans out there that want Dallas to pick him up...

Quote:
An assistant coach for one NFL team told the newspaper that when that team interviewed Mathieu, he was asked how many drug tests he failed in college.

"I quit counting at 10," Mathieu answered. "I really don't know."
First off shame on LSU for not giving him the help he needed i.e. punishment and counseling. Secondly Mathieu answered questions about the report with:

Quote:
"It is irresponsible and shows a lack of integrity for anyone to disclose medical information regardless of how it was gathered," Mathieu said. "I would expect that conversations regarding my drug testing history during the course of my medical treatment would be private.
If he had any semblance of intelligence he would own his past and be contrite.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:51 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
I like Sly a lot.

I wouldn't hate him at 18 depending on the board available. If we say that Cooper, Richardson, Vaccaro, Star, Warmack, Johnson, and the rest of the normal cast are all gone by our pick. We would be looking at Sly, Fluker, Cyprien, and Patton/Austin I would certainly lean Sly there. Granted in that scenario I hope Rhodes has fallen and we can work the phones with the Niners for a trade down.

Lande's evaluations are top-notch and I *normally* agree with a lot he has to say but that last mock was all over the place. Leaving Cooper out of the first round entirely is egregious considering he grades him out extremely well.
I don't understand that mock. On Path to the Draft today, Jeremiah had Sly going to the Bears at 20.

I could see him going as early as 14 to the Panthers. I'm assuming Star and Floyd will be gone at that point and they would have a pick between Richardson & Sly if the want to go DL.

Personally I'd like to see Carolina add Patterson. Cam needs weapons.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:00 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
If there are still any "Honey Badger" fans out there that want Dallas to pick him up...

First off shame on LSU for not giving him the help he needed i.e. punishment and counseling. Secondly Mathieu answered questions about the report with:

I'd take him in the 4th as a potential replacement for Scandrick, although I don't know how his contract is set up and if it's possible to get rid of him after this season.

He's a moron but he's a playmaker and he's got good energy. I don't think Garrett would do it but watch someone like Pete Carroll snag him and plug him in for Winfield after this season.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:15 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

According to NFL Draft insider Tony Pauline, NFL teams are split "50-50" on whether Jonathan Cooper or Chance Warmack is the draft's best guard.
Per Pauline, "several teams" grade Cooper higher than Warmack on their draft boards, and some evaluators believe Warmack's "hype" amongst media is due to the "the big school mentality" after playing at Alabama. Warmack's NFL detractors consider him "shoulder heavy," preferring Cooper's natural movement skills. We wouldn't be surprised if Cooper went No. 10 overall to Tennessee.

From Roto -- funny how "The best guard prospect in a decade" and "best player in this draft" isn't even the consensus player at his position. I like both guys but still hold to what I've been saying which is that guards, no matter how talented, just aren't worth a top-10 selection.

Too many impact players to take a guard that early. I want a guy that scores touchdowns or limits the other teams possessions/adds to our possessions with those picks if I'm a GM. Left tackle being the exception.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I heard him say, he failed every drug test he took at LSU, maybe as many as a 100 of them. He admits, he was totally addicted to them and used them non stop. To say, he is high risk, is putting it mildly, however, IMO, he is pure dynamite as a CB even given his height limitations. The team that takes him will have to sweat it out every day he is on their team.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:43 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I heard him say, he failed every drug test he took at LSU, maybe as many as a 100 of them. He admits, he was totally addicted to them and used them non stop. To say, he is high risk, is putting it mildly, however, IMO, he is pure dynamite as a CB even given his height limitations. The team that takes him will have to sweat it out every day he is on their team.
A lot of players use drugs in the offseason. As long as he can keep himself clean during the year it doesn't really matter.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
As I said before this is a HUGE mark on LSU in my honest opinion. They neglected to give him help when it was obvious he needed it. If they had a reasonable drug policy and enforced it HB would of either relented and learned to cope without during the season or would of been forced into rehab.

I don't doubt that HB would be an impact nickel-back but given the heavy-handed league-wide crackdown on drugs can you honestly trust him to make it through even one season without a failed test?

I would be shocked if he was even on our boards to be honest. He displayed a complete disregard for higher authority with repeated failed tests and managed to push the limits of a team who as you said reportedly let him fail 100 tests to the point of kicking him off the team. That really doesn't jive with what Garrett's regime has been pushing since arrival.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:01 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton View Post
A lot of players use drugs in the offseason. As long as he can keep himself clean during the year it doesn't really matter.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:35 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shoot me if this happens

12. TRADE: Dallas Cowboys (from Cleveland via Miami): Kenny Vaccaro, Safety, Texas

Last year, the Cowboys’ owner Jerry Jones aggressively moved up to draft Morris Claiborne and I expect the same aggressiveness this year. I expect that Kenny Vaccaro is one of the top players on the Cowboys’ board and with the Jets at 13 being a threat to take the safety, a trade up makes a lot of sense.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:04 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
I've seen plenty of guys get down.. Not sure if you're face palming the idea that guys do drugs, because I can guarantee you they do.

If you're face palming the idea that guys can't do drugs and come out and kill it during the season, you're also wrong. No need to look beyond Michael Irvin to know that.

Not sure what you think goes on with NFL players, but I've seen it first hand in Vegas. These guys get wild. Whether its Vegas, strip clubs, sex boats, or at the bar -- they're 21-30 year old single men with friends and girls that get into much worse stuff than weed.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:07 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My fear is that we draft Sly at 18. Scares me. A LOT.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:18 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I could see it if Marinelli and Kiffin like him and the team feels like that's too early to take a safety.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:11 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love Sly anyways. If he hadn't been hurt his senior year we'd be talking about who was the better DT him or Floyd imo. He hasn't done anything but dominate this post season. If we interview and look at the whole body of work...in this weak class I have no problem taking him at 18. Even over Richardson who I like more...I think Sly gives you a higher floor and still a pretty good ceiling. If our top targets are off the board...and moving down just isn't an option...Sly would be fine with me.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:17 AM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i know im in the minority(since everybody seems to be in the kawann short fan club), but i like sly williams more than kawann short

he's more of an upfield player than short and he has a great first step
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:12 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
i know im in the minority(since everybody seems to be in the kawann short fan club), but i like sly williams more than kawann short

Sylvester Williams is a better football player than Sharrif Floyd. He'd be a really good pick at 18.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:34 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How come Sly's hype is riding so high late in the draft process?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:39 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How come Sly's hype is riding so high late in the draft process?
I've been high on Williams for quite a while. I think his stock has been higher for NFL teams the whole time and now that more rumors from teams are coming out, people in the draft community are starting to ride that wave.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:29 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I've been high on Williams for quite a while. I think his stock has been higher for NFL teams the whole time and now that more rumors from teams are coming out, people in the draft community are starting to ride that wave.
Or it's that time of year where Smoke Screens run a plenty... and a foolish team will reach for a guy because they fell for the false hype.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:31 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post

Actually you are in the majority here. Sly is a much better player than Short. We are talking about Sly at 18 while Short wouldn't merit more than our 2nd rounder.

As far as your question D he has 3-tech ability in a 1-tech's body. When you have a DT who has an explosive first step and has the girth and anchor to take on double teams he will skyrocket in value. The only major flaw in his game is his pad level. Give him a coach that can get him low and he's going to be a load in the middle of a defense. I would love him as a 3-tech (ideal), 1-tech, or even 5-tech in a 3-4.

He's my #2 three-tech behind Richardson AND my #2 1-tech behind Star. I still would rather take Cooper or Richardson and probably Vaccaro but after that Sly is going to be in the discussion as far as BPA.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:00 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Actually you are in the majority here. Sly is a much better player than Short. We are talking about Sly at 18 while Short wouldn't merit more than our 2nd rounder.

As far as your question D he has 3-tech ability in a 1-tech's body. When you have a DT who has an explosive first step and has the girth and anchor to take on double teams he will skyrocket in value. The only major flaw in his game is his pad level. Give him a coach that can get him low and he's going to be a load in the middle of a defense. I would love him as a 3-tech (ideal), 1-tech, or even 5-tech in a 3-4.

He's my #2 three-tech behind Richardson AND my #2 1-tech behind Star. I still would rather take Cooper or Richardson and probably Vaccaro but after that Sly is going to be in the discussion as far as BPA.
Nice to compliment him like that... but what sold you on him so recently? He wasn't a part of much discussion compared to other guys.

I feel like this is one of those guys that all of sudden guys are pumping up late because there was news of us being linked to him in recent news.

I know you haven't felt this way all along, that's why I question. Did you see or read something new?
Old 04-14-2013, 03:23 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

I still have Sly as my #4 DT.

Not willing to say I like him more than Richardson or Star.

I wasnt as high on Floyd as most people. Still thought first rounder, but had him #3.

The question I'm asking myself right now is if I put Sly on Florida and Floyd on UNC, how would I rank them?
Old 04-14-2013, 03:24 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Any cool youtube stuff for sly?
Old 04-14-2013, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Nice to compliment him like that... but what sold you on him so recently? He wasn't a part of much discussion compared to other guys.

I feel like this is one of those guys that all of sudden guys are pumping up late because there was news of us being linked to him in recent news.

I know you haven't felt this way all along, that's why I question. Did you see or read something new?
I think it's quite the opposite. I think he and Short generated quite the buzz at the senior bowl as the defensive line's both dominated throughout that week (with the exception of Hunt who was exposed). Now scouts have went back and reviewed the tape on those guys, and I think that Short's hot and cold engine (which I think is overblown) is scaring team's off. Sylvester doesn't necessarily have those questions, and i think he profiles perfectly as the 15-25th range and is clearly a top 30-35 talent in the draft. The issue at hand is that Dallas fans want a top 15 talent to slip to them that's a position of need. We all want this team to be able to draft Dez Bryant every year, but that just can't be expected to happen every year. Frankly if Cooper, Warmack, Richardson or Vaccaro is still they when we select, some of the teams in front of us have made a critical mistake in their drafting plans.

This was my issue with Dallas's draft last season. I like Mo Claiborne, but HATED having to trade that much to get him when David DeCastro could have been ours PLUS our 2nd rounder.

We all want Dallast to hit a homerun with every draft, but I'd be happy with consistantly just getting on base. No more 2009 drafts please.
Rev Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote