Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 04-10-2013, 09:47 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I'd like to find a way to work out some sort of deal which I am sure we would try to do in this situation. I am a big fan of Sanders, they've had Wallace being the primary deep threat the last few years and when he got hurt he really lost out when Antonio Brown emerged. I think he could be a star with a change of scenery.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:53 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Yeah I'd like to find a way to work out some sort of deal which I am sure we would try to do in this situation. I am a big fan of Sanders, they've had Wallace being the primary deep threat the last few years and when he got hurt he really lost out when Antonio Brown emerged. I think he could be a star with a change of scenery.
Reading a few things leads me to believe we can't sign him long term after the one year offer. He'd play on that offer and be UFA in 2013. Still, with our inability to draft a viable WR lately, I'm fine with a 3rd for Sanders. There's no shot in hell we'd get a WR of his calibur at the end of round 3. With the new CBA mandating shorter contracts we'd get a guy who would likely just be NFL ready by the time his contract expired (if we didn't bust some poor kid entirely).

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:56 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
Reading a few things leads me to believe we can't sign him long term after the one year offer. He'd play on that offer and be UFA in 2013. Still, with our inability to draft a viable WR lately, I'm fine with a 3rd for Sanders. There's no shot in hell we'd get a WR of his calibur at the end of round 3. With the new CBA mandating shorter contracts we'd get a guy who would likely just be NFL ready by the time his contract expired (if we didn't bust some poor kid entirely).
well we drafted sanders (and wallace for that matter) at the end of round 3 and he hasnt exactly lit the world on fire.

Ill take the 3rd though, id hope they could use their 3rds to trade up back into the second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sanders ******* sucks. He has close to a 50% catch/target rate. ******* dumb move. It'd be hatred to not fine someone as good with that pick. This WR class is pretty deep with mid-level talent.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
well we drafted sanders (and wallace for that matter) at the end of round 3 and he hasnt exactly lit the world on fire.

Ill take the 3rd though, id hope they could use their 3rds to trade up back into the second.
Which is why it's not a terrible offer to only sign him for one year. It could backfire, but if he does light it up it's worth it for one year and maybe worth it to sign him to a bigger deal next year.

He really does fit what we need very well. A Wallace or Cruz type guy with a huge contract is not worth it when 80 balls will go to each TE every year.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:50 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Sanders ******* sucks. He has close to a 50% catch/target rate. ******* dumb move. It'd be hatred to not fine someone as good with that pick. This WR class is pretty deep with mid-level talent.
The Pats have drafted 8 players in the 3rd round since 2008;

Shawn Crable
Kevin O'Connell
Brandon Tate
Tyrone McKenzie
Taylor Price
Stevan Ridley
Ryan Mallett
Jake Bequette

Only one player in that list has contributed at all. Add that in with the Pats historical putrid record of drafting WRs I think this move is fine. It opens up more options during the draft, they don't have to go WR early now although they still could.

Likely what's going to happen is they trade out of the first and end up with two 2s, a 3 and a 7 and then likely trade back a few other times.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Belichicks record with WRs could go down as one of the worst of all time, odd considering the lethal passing attacks hes put together

Chad Jackson
Brandon Tate
Julian Edelman
Matt Slater
Brandon Tate
P.K. Sam
Bethel Johnson
Deion Branch
David Givens
Mike Miller
A.C. Tellison
Derrick Alexander
Patrick Rowe
Rico Smith
Augustin Olobia
Michael Jackson
Shawn Wiggins

Look at all those household names lol

Amendola and Sanders is a very fragile 1-2 punch though

Quote:
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.

Last edited by K Train : 04-10-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It really doesn't open options. It closes them. They still need receivers just as badly.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:02 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Pats expected to re-sign Edelman to a 1 year deal. I like it alot as injury insurance. I've said it a few times already - having him, Amendola and Jones should yield us one slot guy at all times this season.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:03 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

Sanders has been removed from the steelers roster and depth chart on steelers.com

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:07 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Sanders has been removed from the steelers roster and depth chart on steelers.com
Oh snap......

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the Edleman resigning, gives us a little bit of continuity in the WR corps. Pretty neutral on the Sanders signing - it's hard to argue against the logic; a rookie is unlikely to contribute in this offense, and we're in as much of a 'win now' mode as we've ever been. Still, I find myself wanting Pittsburgh to match. Sander's history with fumbles, drops and injuries is troubling. I don't think either signing precludes us from drafting a WR though, as we'll be in this boat again next year at the WR position.

However, much like '07, BB does seem to be punting on this year's draft. Although probably fanciful thinking on my part, I do wonder if maybe we have something in the works with Cleveland for Mallett should the draft unfold in a particular way. Cleveland's pick is an ideal spot for them to trade down, and maybe the extra pick they get they'll use on Mallet. A GM's job is to get the best QB for their team now, not hope to get one next year. I don't know if Weeden fits the bill for them. They can still get a blue chip player if they trade down and get a promising QB with their second pick in Mallet. One can hope, anyway :)
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:42 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I wonder how many of the football operations people actually have contact with the people running the website.

I imagine it's just standard protocol for someone who has signed an RFA offer sheet.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:45 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I wonder how many of the football operations people actually have contact with the people running the website.

I imagine it's just standard protocol for someone who has signed an RFA offer sheet.
Im thinking maybe hes been off of it since season end since hes not technically under contract

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:03 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:16 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
So they gave up a 3rd round pick for a second Julian Edelman (except not as good)?

The only times he was open in that highlight reel were plays in which Rothlesberger ran around for awhile. This was a bad move. He's not a good player, he doesn't bring anything new, and he drops a lot of balls and fumbles a lot. Makes no sense.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Idk where in hell you got the Edelmen comparison, but he did actually get open quite a few times in that video without Ben scrambling (although I will give you the fact that there were alot of plays where Big Ben scrambled and he got open).

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:05 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sanders only dropped 3 passes last year if I'm not mistaken, and 2 the year before that. He's not a pass dropper. He did have a few fumbles last year but it's not like he has a history of being a fumbler. Other than that, he has good hands, runs good routes, has great speed, and can get open deep. Isn't that what everyone's been wanting for years now?

I'm not saying he'd be a pro bowler or anything. And I don't necessarily care if they sign him or keep the pick. But I like him as a player. Personally I think he's a better player than Brandon Lloyd, and he'd be a solid, cheap pickup if they do get him.
TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:11 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I find it highly unlikely that Sanders will be able to give us anything remotely approaching Lloyd's production. He may be a younger, cheaper option, and potentially less of a locker-room headache, but I just don't see any argument to be made for Sanders being a better player than Lloyd.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:36 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

You find it highly unlikely that Sanders would be able to outproduce Reche Caldwell????????

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-14-2013, 09:36 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
I find it highly unlikely that Sanders will be able to give us anything remotely approaching Lloyd's production. He may be a younger, cheaper option, and potentially less of a locker-room headache, but I just don't see any argument to be made for Sanders being a better player than Lloyd.
Lloyd was awful last year, as I've noted before. Sanders may not give us the same production in terms of numbers, but Lloyd brought virtually nothing to the table, and stalled our offense numerous times. He played 2 good games all year, and did nothing compared to the rest of the receivers with elite QB's who received the number of targets that he did. Sanders could come in and gain 600 yards and still be a much better player.

Last edited by cmarq83 : 04-14-2013 at 11:01 AM.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:44 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

I wouldn't call 74 catches in an offense that spreads it around like that "awful". Lloyd can get behind defenses, Sanders doesn't do that. He runs the same Welker/Edelman/Branch/(now) Amendola routes. He doesn't get separation. They gave up way too much for a player they already had two-three of.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:08 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Sanders can actually get YAC.

Something of mild interest: Sanders was the Steelers #1 receiver on third down. That's a big deal in the league.

I wonder if Pitt would match the offer just to try to get more out of NE. (maybe 2 7ths as well)
Old 04-14-2013, 04:13 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I wouldn't call 74 catches in an offense that spreads it around like that "awful". Lloyd can get behind defenses, Sanders doesn't do that. He runs the same Welker/Edelman/Branch/(now) Amendola routes. He doesn't get separation. They gave up way too much for a player they already had two-three of.
The concept that simply having 74 catches makes someone a productive receiver is inherently incorrect. Within the Pats offense the outside receiver is one of the more favorable positions to play in the NFL. Teams focused on Welker attacking underneath, Gronk going up the seam, stretch plays with Ridley, and passes to Woodhead and Vereen. This leaves a ton of open space and one on one coverage for our outside guys like Lloyd. As we've seen in certain games like against Culliver, Jenkins, or Deion Branch vs. A. Smith when our receivers are able to capitalize on these matchups we tear the game open. The problem is our guys have been so inconsistent at winning these outside matchups, and they've failed us in big games when teams have dared us to throw it to the outside.

Brandon Lloyd was used as a number 1 receiver last year. He got 130 targets, and played almost every snap. The problem was he just didn't produce anything relative to the guys who played in a similar position across the league. Look at the Deckers, Colstons, Nelsons, and Nicks of the world. All those guys play a similar role as 1a type targets in very good offenses and all of them perform exponentially better than Lloyd did in that same role here.

Lloyd isn't dynamic at anything besides making 10-14 yard catches on comeback routes. That is fine for a lot of teams that need some possession guys, but we need someone who can attack vertically out of that outside receiver spot. We have 3 better possession guys to throw to, and wasting a ton of targets on someone who doesn't produce consistently was an enormous waste last season.

Last edited by cmarq83 : 04-14-2013 at 04:16 PM.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:42 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pitt matched offer sheet.
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote