Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 04-15-2013, 02:41 AM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure about Len as a top 5 guy, but he should be pretty much a lock for top 15 and if that's the case then declaring is the right choice, especially when you consider that next year's class looks to be much stronger.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:45 AM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm just a big believer in the "cant pass on the big guy" draft strategy unless you already have that guy on your roster. It is true that 7 footers just don't come along that often so snatch them up when you have the chance in the draft. It is much easier to find the guards later.

Yes, I realize that means I would have drafted Sam Bowie and Greg Oden.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:25 AM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm more of a "draft the guy you think will be the best player regardless of position" kind of guy.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:14 AM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nerlens Noel is going pro.
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:27 PM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope leaving UGA to go pro
Old 04-15-2013, 02:01 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
I'm just a big believer in the "cant pass on the big guy" draft strategy unless you already have that guy on your roster. It is true that 7 footers just don't come along that often so snatch them up when you have the chance in the draft. It is much easier to find the guards later.

Yes, I realize that means I would have drafted Sam Bowie and Greg Oden.
This reminds me of one of my favorite Jordan stories...

In 1984, Bobby Knight was coming off a gold-medal Olympic run with Michael Jordan. Knight was friends with Portland Trailblazer GM, Stu Inman, and called to sell him on Jordan as their first pick in the upcoming NBA draft. With Clyde Drexler already on the team, Inman had other plans.

Inman: "We need a center."

Bobby Knight: "Then draft Jordan and play him at center!"
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears10 View Post
McGary will lose money if he waits. His stock will never be higher than it is now.
His stock right now appears to be in the late teens and next year conceivably could be top 5, big differance. I assume you aren't buying the whole Kevin Love/David Lee comparison thing.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:28 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
His stock right now appears to be in the late teens and next year conceivably could be top 5, big differance. I assume you aren't buying the whole Kevin Love/David Lee comparison thing.
I think he is a poor man's David Lee. He is no where near Kevin Love.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:35 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

I don't buy McGary being a top 5 pick at any point. He has too many physical limitations.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:47 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he's a better player than David Lee was at 20.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:02 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I think he's a better player than David Lee was at 20.
He had a stretch of decent games but still averaged 7 PPG. He was completely ineffective with Trey Burke off the floor and he didn't score more than 15 points until the tournament.

Those two games are going to make him a lot of money this year. I think he will be a fringe lottery pick every year.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:12 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

I don't see the point of comparing him to Lee. Yes, they are both white bigs. But Lee was a really good athlete coming out.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:24 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Everyone is saying next year's draft class is significantly stronger than this years. Unless McGary comes back and averages at least like 18 and 8 on 50% shooting, I don't see how he could be top 5 next year.

And McGary is nothing like Kevin Love. Love was a better passer, rebounder, and shooter coming out of college, much more versatile. McGary has not shown anything other than being a good option in the post and decent passing skills. The felatio of his "super-human" passing in the tournament was hilarious.

That said, for the sake of his overall game, he should stay. But if he wants to shoot for more money, he should probably come out.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:25 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce2walker View Post
I don't see the point of comparing him to Lee. Yes, they are both white bigs. But Lee was a really good athlete coming out.
McGary is a very good athlete.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:26 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Otto Porter Jr. going pro.
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:36 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

Quote:

McGary is nimble for a guy his size though.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:40 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

Quote:
People seriously underestimate his athletic ability because he looks awkward when he runs. He is, however, a very athletic player.

These are my two biggest problems with him as a prospect.

1. He's a terrible FT shooter (he's not even bad, he's horrendously god awful) despite having solid form and a good 15 jumper, which makes me think he's a head-case.

2. I could probably be a better shot blocker than he is, and I'm 8 inches shorter. Just as a matter of personal preference, I don't like bigs who can't block shots. Shot blockers make me happier than Dikembe Mutombo blocking a shot.

Last edited by WCH : 04-15-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:50 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTPlaya21 View Post
Otto Porter Jr. going pro.
Another player that I'm not sure what position he fits in the NBA.

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
Old 04-15-2013, 03:57 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He is quick and athletic enough to be a SF.

I personally consider him the 'safest bet' prospect.

Sig by Primetime21
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:30 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

Yeah, Porter definitely seems like a SF to me.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:19 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He has the prototypical skillset and physical build of a small forward (even though he's really thin at the moment)

I like him a lot. If I miss on len and Noel I hope we snag him.

Have it your way, with BK (BoneKrusher)
BuckeyeDan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:57 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Porter is definitely a SF and I don't think he'll bust, but I think he has a pretty low ceiling. I don't love his ballhandling, he's not a great athlete, and he's really, really thin. I think nbadraft.net's Tayshaun Prince comparison is pretty spot on.

Last edited by yo123 : 04-15-2013 at 08:59 PM.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:08 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

Saw that comparison as well and thought it was pretty good. I'm not sure if he is a defender like Prince though?

Sig by the King BK

Quote:
Old 04-15-2013, 09:10 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There aren't a whole lot of rookies that come in as good NBA defenders right off the bat, but he has the tools to become a good defender.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:50 PM    (permalink
ph90702
Veteran

ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ph90702 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Porter is definitely a SF and I don't think he'll bust, but I think he has a pretty low ceiling. I don't love his ballhandling, he's not a great athlete, and he's really, really thin. I think nbadraft.net's Tayshaun Prince comparison is pretty spot on.
Nothing wrong with having a low-risk, low-reward player. You need solid role players to win a championship.
ph90702 is offline   Reply With Quote