Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 04-15-2013, 07:28 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNPatsFan View Post
The Pats have been looking hard at all pass rushers and wide receivers. I think if Werner or Carradine somehow fall to 29 they take him. If not, then if Keenan Allen or possibly Trufant are available they take him. If none of those are there then they trade back. I would also like Hopkins a lot at 29 but I'd like him a lot more at 39 than 29.

Finally I'm a big fan of both Woods and Hunter but I don't think either are going in the first round.
I like Allen and I think he can fall to us.

I agree with Woods not being a round 1, was going to include him in a trade scenario

Im scared of Hunter but with his size, speed and character dont be suprised if he goes round 1.

I love Wheaton but he struggles tracking deep balls
3. RB - Jeremy Hill - LSU
4. C - Travis Swanson - Arkansas
4. DT - Justin Ellis - Louisianna Tech
6. LB - Kevin Pierre-Louis - Boston College
6. WR - Jeremy Gallon - Michigan
7. OG - Zach Fulton - Tennessee

UDFA
QB - Stephen Morris - Miami
CB - Kendall James - Maine
RWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:25 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is my board of players if we were to trade down 5-15 spaces down to pick up picks

OL
Justin Pugh - Can play all 5 positions and even though I dont want an OL early, pretty much guarantees it will happen
WR
-Robert Woods - Playing next to Lee actually hurt him but he also had a foot injury, still crafty route runner with good hands.
-Quinton Patton - Another favorite of mine, very similar to Reggie Wayne, deceptive speed
DT
-Jesse Williams - More of a 2 down player but is a high motor tough player who played NT and 5-Tech
-Jonathan Hankins - He is a guy I wouldn't want at 29 but he can play 5-tech and 3-tech
-Kawann Short - Just look at his tackles for loss, the guy gets in the backfield
LB
-Kiko Alanso - Athletic and tall MLB who loves to take on blockers, think of Spikes BUT who can cover (Spikes is in his last year)
CB
-Darius Slay - Has the size and triangle numbers BB likes and he is not ignored on film.
-Jonathan Banks - BB doesn't care about bad 40's in round 2 and he is a ball hawk who does well with press zone

PICK 59

WR
-Markus Wheaton - Fast, smooth route runner, good kid, tracks deep ball not so well but coachable
-Terrence Williams - A deep threat who had a bad 40 went from end of rd 1 to rd 2.
-Aaron Dobson - Like this guy, bug, fast knows how to play the deep ball, unknown because of injury through sr bowl and combine
DT
-John Jenkins - Could fall this far becuase of weight, the man can crush the pocket
MLB
-Jon Bostic - He is flying up charts, he is a 3 down player which is hard to find in MLB's
CB
-Tyrann Mathieu - Wouldn't be suprised if BB does a slight reach, the kid can play
-David Amerson - Not a fan of his tape and his triangle numbers are awful but his 2011 tape is awesome and BB takes gambles in 2nd rd
-Jordan Poyer - I like but I am not excited about it him plays better off than press
-Robert Alford - Mirrors man to man, plays slot, aware of zone but struggles with bigger players
S
-DJ Swearinger - A hard hitting leader of a safety who covered the opposing slot

UDFA
Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a Vols fan and a Justin Hunter fan (I actually like him better than Cordarrelle Patterson). But even though I'd love to see the Pats draft Hunter, I'd have some reservations. For some reason I just feel like he has the biggest bust potential of all the top WR's in this draft.
TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:35 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNPatsFan View Post
I'm a Vols fan and a Justin Hunter fan (I actually like him better than Cordarrelle Patterson). But even though I'd love to see the Pats draft Hunter, I'd have some reservations. For some reason I just feel like he has the biggest bust potential of all the top WR's in this draft.
Patterson's body catching and not knowing the route tree worries me more than Hunter...wonder how much was mental with ACL injury, even Cosell called Hunter the most explosive.

UDFA
Old 04-18-2013, 12:09 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been a long time deciding that I want the Patriots to do this year in the draft. I've finally come to a conclusion. Whilst trading down would give us some midround picks and/or picks next year, I really want us to draft DJ Hayden out of Houston. His ability to turn his hips and run with receivers is just amazing, and I can't help but compare him to Revis when I watch him play. He's active against the run and plays the ball well. I'm pretty excited about him to be quite honest. We may not even get a shot at drafting him, but if we do I think we should pull the trigger and find a receiver and a defensive end in rounds 2 and 3 respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:43 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ironically, just read this from one of the draftniks I follow on twitter:

Quote:
Ethan Hammerman ‏@Ethanhamm 10m
In impromptu mocks I keep creating in my head, I always seem to slot Hayden to NE. Just seems like a natural fit.

Ethan Hammerman ‏@Ethanhamm 10m
I could see the Patriots being big fans of D.J. Hayden.
For me, I have no idea who I want with the first pick. Lots of ways to go - I'd probably be most disappointed with an OL lineman not named Cooper, or most CBs (Hayden would be fine, he does look very fluid.)
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:09 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I've been a long time deciding that I want the Patriots to do this year in the draft. I've finally come to a conclusion. Whilst trading down would give us some midround picks and/or picks next year, I really want us to draft DJ Hayden out of Houston. His ability to turn his hips and run with receivers is just amazing, and I can't help but compare him to Revis when I watch him play. He's active against the run and plays the ball well. I'm pretty excited about him to be quite honest. We may not even get a shot at drafting him, but if we do I think we should pull the trigger and find a receiver and a defensive end in rounds 2 and 3 respectively.
After catching up on alot of tape, I am just not a fan of any of the WRs coming out of the draft this year. As such, I would be more than ok with this scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:38 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
After catching up on alot of tape, I am just not a fan of any of the WRs coming out of the draft this year. As such, I would be more than ok with this scenario.
I agree about Hayden and I would be quite happy to see him in NE. However I have to disagree about the WRs. I don't see any AJ Green or Julio Jones types this year, however there are some real good options IMO. Hopkins, Allen, Woods, Hunter, Wheaten, Patton, Rodgers etc. Both Hunter and Rodgers have massive potential to be #1 WRs but come with inherent risks. The rest of the guys, especially Hopkins, Allen and Woods could be really good fits here

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:51 AM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Out of Hopkins, Allen, Woods, Hunter, Wheaton, Patton, and Rodgers I would say that Wheaton and Patton are the most likely because of both are team captains and seniors, Patton is a fifth year senior. Hopkins has stated that he has really participated in football year round for one year and that was this past year. I really cant see the Pats drafting him after this. I don't know much about the other juniors Hunter and Allen. I really like Robert Woods and he seems like someone who plays older than he is.
Jcn92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:37 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hopkins actually is my favorite pick for us to be honest. Just watching tape, he attacks the ball incredible well, runs very polished routes and is able to get off the line when facing contact. There were some dumb drops I saw from Hopkins here and there but hes my favorite prospect for us right now. Not sure we take him but I can hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:43 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good article by Bedard at Boston.com discussing NE difficulty at drafting DB and WR. Interesting note on the Wunderlic scores: Chris Harper scored an impressive 33. Sounds like a good mid round pick, maybe in combination with Wheaton? (After more research though, put me on the Bailey bandwagon for our 2nd or 3rd pick.)

Last edited by Blackluck : 04-22-2013 at 03:00 AM. Reason: stupid typo bugging me
Old 04-21-2013, 11:00 AM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd love to see the Pats get Bailey.

I think he's my favorite WR in that second tier after Allen/Hopkins/Hunter/Woods. He may not be a deep threat but he can get open and he catches everything.
TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:07 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In all honesty I don't see why Kendall Wright was a mid-first round pick and Bailey is a late 2nd-early 4th round prospect. They have similar concerns in terms of build and timed speed, but they were both immensely successful in college, and had success vertically despite average timed speed. Bailey is actually a much better blocker and a bit harder to tackle.

I think i have to give a bit of a speed nod to Wright because he does look much faster on the field than his timed speed shows, but if guys like Wright and Manningham can have success vertically in the NFL I have no idea why Bailey can't.

Of all the receivers in this class I think Bailey could plug into our outside spot from day 1 with the most success. He may not have the upside of a Hunter, but we need contributions right away, and I know Bailey can do it.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I've been a big fan of Bailey for a long time now. He'd be an awesome fit in our system. I'm really starting to like Hopkins too... Now if only he didn't play for Clemson...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Here's how I'm seeing the different scenarios depending on how the picks go before us. Players listed are in no particular order. Since we're picking at the bottom of each round, we might end up with a pick graded out one or two rounds lower, which doesn't particularly trouble me (unless it's a mega reach ala Wilson.) Am I missing anything?

Scenario 1 (WR run)
WR - Woods/Allen/Wheaton
CB - Wilson/Commings/Poyer/Slay
BPA*(OL/DL/LB)

Scenario 2 (CB run)
CB Hayden/Taylor/Trufant
WR Bailey/Patton/Rodgers/Swope
BPA*(OL/DL/LB)

Scenario 3 (DL prospects drop, least likely)
DL- Carradine, Warner, Williams (S. or J.)
WR Bailey/Patton/Rodgers/Swope
CB Davis/Alford/Gratz

Trading down shouldn't appreciably change 1 or 2 imo unless we trade way down into the 2nd. We'll probably pick up a 4th and take whatever position we don't fill in the third. Reading that next year's draft is stocked, so picking up a 2014 1 or 2 in lieu of a 4th this year works.

Last edited by Blackluck : 04-22-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:22 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

An interesting result from FO:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/sta...ker-score-2013

The one thing they seemingly miss is that the lower bound is a positively sloped line (meaning that no player who averages 1000 yards per season is worse than a 200 playmaker score. This means Quinton Patton, Tavon Austin, Keenan Allen, Cordarrelle Patterson, and Kenny Stills are not likely to ever be 1000 yards per season guys.

To be honest, I agree with the overall tone of this article. While there are a lot of good WRs in this class, there aren't any must have ones. There seem to be a bunch of guys that could be decent contributors and busts.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:04 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

That's some sobering statistics.
Here's another view of over valued and under valued prospects based on college production:
Over rated
Under rated