Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 08-05-2010, 01:26 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I remember when Calais Campbell fell in the draft bc Miami's terrible coaching was unable to harness his impressive athletic ability.

After learning for a year in the NFL, he went on to be a beast his sophomore year, and now is a PB caliber 3-4 End entering this year.

Allen Bailey is twice the athlete Campbell was. With good coaching and patience, he can become a good player.

A lot of Miami defenders had knocks on them, then went on to be beasts in the NFL. Beason, Campbell, Merriweather, Kenny Phillips will be one if he recovers from his career threatening injury.

Even guys who were nobodies in college, like Bruce Johnson are winding up being much better pros than college players. It leads me to believe that Miami is just doing a terrible job of coaching up their talent.

All these guys are coming to the NFL and outplaying their draft slot after some good coaching. That can't be coincidence.
Sad but true. Our players are better pro than college players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Not so fast. Before the combine (where Campbell ran a 5.0 I believe), and really before his senior year, Campbell was viewed as next in line as far as freak defensive end prospects, being compared to Mario Williams and Jamaal Anderson.

Let's see how things play out.
DG already answered this but Campbell put on a lot of weight before his Junior year and then added another 10 before the draft. He trained with some sleazy agent along with Kentwan Balmer and Bruce Davis and he didn't get proper training for the combine drills. Instead they focused on size and strength. He looked sloppy and out-of-shape at the combine but that wasn't reflective of his play on the field where he was always quick, fast and agile for his size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
when campbell came out he fell because no one could place him...just like no one can place bailey

he could have lost 15 pounds and moved to 43DE, he could have gained 20 pounds and been drafted as a 34 NT or stay as he was and play all over a 43 line or 34 DE, he found a home at 34DE with dockett and in 2 years thats gonna be the best 3 man line in the league with dan williams as a disruptive NT.

their situations are pretty similar....but i do think bailey is the much more intriguing athlete of the two.
Nah....Campbell was a legitimate tweener. He wasn't a good enough pass rusher to line up in a 4-3 at 290 lbs. but he was kinda lanky for a 3-4. I still think his best fit would be as a 270-275 lb. 4-3 LDE. He was nasty as a Soph when he was around 265.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:30 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Offseason View Post
True but my point is that a lot of people (or at least some that I have seen) are totally sold on him and think that he is ready to be a 1st round pick and that he can contribute immediately. But if he can't shed blocks then I certainly don't think that he will be able to do that. That was my point.

I don't recall what kind of burst Calais Campbell had/has off the line of scrimmage, but Bailey can't have much better burst. I could definitely see Bailey becoming a quality pro after a year or so of development like Campbell, but I don't think he's a top 20 talent or anything if that's the case.

I'm not the biggest fan of Bailey, but I'm not going to ignore the fact that he can and will improve once he gets to the NFL to get NFL caliber coaching. But to me he is a little bit of a boom or bust pick because of some of his flaws, and if he can improve on some of those or even correct them then he could be really good. But if he doesn't then he is a waste of a late 1st or a 2nd round pick. I'm not wild about those kinds of players.
I definitely think Bailey is a 1st round talent but I don't think he's an immediate contributor. I think he'll need a pseudo-redshirt year like Campbell but he's already strong enough and powerful enough to play with the big boys.

Campbell had a much better burst and was more agile in college but Bailey is more of a physical run stopper. He won't get many sacks 1on1 with a tackle but he's athletic enough to pressure the QB when a stunt or blitz it called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Campbell dominated his sophomore year, his problem wasn't coaching it was he put on a ton of weight and wasn't as good of a pass rusher so his production dropped. He was also playing basically every snap of every game and one of 2 good players on a very poorly talented defense.

And just to comment on how awful a DL coach Clint Hurtt was, the new DL coach told a 2011 recruit (DE Anthony Chickillo) that he already has better hands that every guy on the roster (sad part is he is 100% correct). Chickillo's dad was a stud DL at the U so he has some help, but it's still pretty sad a junior in HS has better technique than 21-22 year olds at a major college program.
THISTHISTHIS all of it...

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-05-2010, 01:34 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Campbell is a great athlete, but he cannot play in a 3-4. Not at DE and not at OLB.
from 12-27-2007

dont you hate when players do this lol
Old 08-05-2010, 01:37 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
from 12-27-2007

dont you hate when players do this lol
Yep...I raged hard when Arizona drafted him because I never thought it would work. He was never great with leverage and anchoring versus the run. I don't know of any other lanky 3-4 linemen but he's done well for himself. Every year the game is revolutionized by new players that break the mold.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-17-2013, 06:10 AM    (permalink
chantaniy
Rookie

chantaniy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Prospect of the Day: DL Allen Bailey, Miami

hey,
2013 draft class has created so much uncertainty that essentially every player ranking system and every mock draft looks significantly different.There have been adjustments just about everywhere else, as players participated in the NFL combine and completed their pro days.

Last edited by chantaniy : 04-17-2013 at 06:25 AM.
chantaniy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:24 AM    (permalink
chantaniy
Rookie

chantaniy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

hey,
2013 draft class has created so much uncertainty that essentially every player ranking system and every mock draft looks significantly different.There have been adjustments just about everywhere else, as players participated in the NFL combine and completed their pro days.