Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:30 AM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
Do you have any clue what you're talking about?
Darrelle Revis 40 dash 4.38

Richard Sherman 40 dash- 4.54
Johnathan Joseph 40 dash- 4.31
Brandon Flowers 40 dash-4.55
Patrick Peterson 40 dash-4.34
Lardarius Webb- 40 dash 4.46
Brandon Carr- 40 dash 4.44
Vontae Davis- 40 dash 4.49

7 Cb's right here who played very good ball last season. Two ran a 40 in the 4.3's. So if Revis slows down he'll be fine.

What do you have to say now?
I think you just made my point for me, that's what I have to say.

My point was specifically that CBs need elite speed to be effective. Once they lose speed, they're mostly useless.

Players lose speed as they age. A CB who ran a 4.3 40 in his late teens/ early 20s could be as slow as 4.8+ in his early 30s. That's where Revis is headed.
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:33 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
Players lose speed as they age. A CB who ran a 4.3 40 in his late teens/ early 20s could be as slow as 4.8+ in his early 30s.
What the **** is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:38 AM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
What the **** is this?
I guess you think that players never lose speed as they get older right? Let's pull Charles Woodson to a track and he'll run a 4.3 40 just like he did when he was 21, right?

Old 04-23-2013, 10:01 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why is it that every time there is a discussion about cornerback 40's, everyone wants to compare what Revis ran at his Pro Day to what other corners ran at the Combine?
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Simply Keak
Rookie

Simply Keak is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Simply Keak is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Simply Keak is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Simply Keak is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Simply Keak is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Simply Keak is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Simply Keak is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Simply Keak is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Simply Keak is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Simply Keak is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Simply Keak is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I guess you think that players never lose speed as they get older right? Let's pull Charles Woodson to a track and he'll run a 4.3 40 just like he did when he was 21, right?

This dude is slow.
Simply Keak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:33 AM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think you just made my point for me, that's what I have to say.

My point was specifically that CBs need elite speed to be effective. Once they lose speed, they're mostly useless.

Players lose speed as they age. A CB who ran a 4.3 40 in his late teens/ early 20s could be as slow as 4.8+ in his early 30s. That's where Revis is headed.
Yeah, man... That Ronde Barber guy was such a bust. Dude was too slow to hack it in the speedy NFL.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:41 AM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
Yeah, man... That Ronde Barber guy was such a bust. Dude was too slow to hack it in the speedy NFL.
I doubt Barber was that slow for any significant portion of his career.

But even so, he played his entire career in a Cover-2 scheme.

If you're not fast, you had better pray that you're playing in a Cover-2 behind a great pass rush...
Old 04-23-2013, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I doubt Barber was that slow for any significant portion of his career.

But even so, he played his entire career in a Cover-2 scheme.

If you're not fast, you had better pray that you're playing in a Cover-2 behind a great pass rush...
At least you said something useful and true, however saying older CB lose a tremendous amount of speed is way off in most cases and they make up for it with superb technique which allows them to overcome their gradual slowing down. If they lost a tremendous amount of speed, they would probably have to retire.
At 28, only Revis's injury might slow him down but I seriously doubt it is by much and athletes tend to regain their speed by season 2 after their injury if not sooner.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:18 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Right, because that's exactly what I said. You think that a 21 year old CB magically turns into a 4.8 or worse guy when he is 31-32 years old which should really disqualify you from saying anything useful in this thread.

Quote:
Old 04-23-2013, 11:40 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

4.3 to 4.8? No shot man, if you are fast you are typically going to be fast for the duration of a career. Obviously they are going to lose some speed but I bet Woodson is still a 4.5 guy. The agility and quickness will go before the straight line speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:57 AM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Right, because that's exactly what I said. You think that a 21 year old CB magically turns into a 4.8 or worse guy when he is 31-32 years old which should really disqualify you from saying anything useful in this thread.
Have you actually measured their speed? You'd be shocked by how much slower people get as they age.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:59 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Have you actually measured their speed? You'd be shocked by how much slower people get as they age.
Have you?

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:02 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Have you?

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound?
I've actually talked to Greg Cosell about this subject. He tells me that none of the DBs in the NFL over 25 are faster than 4.5 40. You'd be shocked by how slow some of the players in the NFL are.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And how many private workouts has Greg Cosell held in which he measures 40 times of players over 25 to make such assessments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:23 PM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Carl Lewis set the World Record in the 100M when he was 30.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:41 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They're going to lose some "speed" just because they aren't deliberately training to run fast and jump high at the combine. Add in-season fatigue, and I have no problem believing that very few NFL players actually run faster than a 4.5 when they're focusing on sport-specific training.

Also, a lot of people don't realize how fast 4.5 really is, or how high a 34" vertical jump really is, because High School coaches are notoriously bad at measuring these things. It doesn't help that every "explosiveness coach" with a book to sell is claiming to run a 4.4 and have a 45" vert.

I'm just going to ignore the broader discussion about Revis becoming worthless.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just to point out that Darrell Green was still winning the fastest man contest and still holding his own against anyone he lined up against at 42 years old....

And to point out anytime you hear about from a pro-day should be taken with a grain of salt, because they are inflated to help the draftee's stock hence why they are 99% of the time night and day different from the combine times if they ran both
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:34 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
I'm starting to think you can't read. You do realize that there is a difference between "older players aren't as fast as the used to be when they came into the league" and "a 21 year old CB that runs a 4.3 is running a 4.8 or slower into their early 30's" right?

For somebody who just asked me if I have actually measured their speed, you in the same breath go on to list the specific age range they slow down and put a specific number on it, by saying 4.8 or slower. Nobody cares what you have to say if you haven't proven you can comprehend your own terrible argument.

Quote:
Old 04-24-2013, 05:33 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For Revis it isn't just about speed. If you've watched him ache ten , what he does so well is he redirects Wrs off their routes. He wins the mental match up. He's got excellent hips and speed is just a luxury. But 90-95% of the time Revis wins that battle within the first 5 yards.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:27 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Isn't AcheTen the same guy who said he didn't want Barry Sanders on his team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:50 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah that thread was pretty funny.

Have it your way, with BK (BoneKrusher)
BuckeyeDan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:06 PM    (permalink
J255979-11nine
Rookie

J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Didn't Darrell Green run a 4.4 well into his 40's?

Roger Goodell: Protecting the business by ruining the game.
J255979-11nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:26 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
Isn't AcheTen the same guy who said he didn't want Barry Sanders on his team?
I'm pretty sure that was Jordan Taber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J255979-11nine View Post
Didn't Darrell Green run a 4.4 well into his 40's?
Yup, at least into his late 30s for sure. That guy was an ageless freak of nature. He supposedly ran a 4.43 on his 50th birthday.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 PM    (permalink
XxXdragonXxX
Pro Bowler

XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd bet that I could count the number of CBs still playing that run slower than 4.8 on less than 1 finger. We're talking pocket passer QB speed here.