Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 04-09-2013, 08:53 AM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe we'll get lucky and a team will want to jump in front of the Texans (Matt Schaub turns 32 this summer). They have depth and could look to add a Matt Barkley in the first to sit for a few years.
falloutboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:08 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would want significant compensation if we trade down. More than just a 2nd and 3rd.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you guys think about UNC's DT Sylvester Williams?

He seems like one of the few guys that can be a legit every down 3-4 DE.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:29 AM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The last week, I've been thinking more and more that a 3-4 DE might be the way to go in the first. That said I have Datone Jones & Jesse Williams higher. Both have a ton of experience in a 3-4, and both have played at a variety of positions along the line. With RJF, and one of these guys I think we'd be set for a long time.

I don't know much about Williams, but I believe I read he was better suited for a 4-3. Given the fact there are other guys who are playing in a 3-4 already it makes sense to draft a guy with a shorter learning curve.

If anyone is interested, here's a series of podcasts that I've been listening to a bunch the last few days.
falloutboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:19 PM    (permalink
fishspinners
Rookie

fishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairfishspinners is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy14 View Post
The last week, I've been thinking more and more that a 3-4 DE might be the way to go in the first. That said I have Datone Jones & Jesse Williams higher. Both have a ton of experience in a 3-4, and both have played at a variety of positions along the line. With RJF, and one of these guys I think we'd be set for a long time.

I don't know much about Williams, but I believe I read he was better suited for a 4-3. Given the fact there are other guys who are playing in a 3-4 already it makes sense to draft a guy with a shorter learning curve.

If anyone is interested, here's a series of podcasts that I've been listening to a bunch the last few days.
I'd be happy if we took Jones or Williams. If you look at all the moves we have made in free agency, they are trying hard to stop the run this year. Having three of the top RBs in our division it only makes since.

Last edited by fishspinners : 04-16-2013 at 03:25 PM.
fishspinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:48 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That is awesome :D

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:51 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd like to think they only needed one take to do it.

i done stole dis sig
Old 04-25-2013, 09:53 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Werner.

I hope he continues to be productive in the pros.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:59 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haz a sad. I really wanted Rhodes.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:35 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

The one thing I'll say about getting a CB, is that it puts Toler in an odd-spot. We'd be paying him ~$5m to be the nickel or dime guy. Really wanted Datone Jones or Jesse Williams myself.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:41 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Werner was highly productive in his senior year and got in the back field often. He's just not a pass rusher, he can play the run too. It feels a large need as our pass rush last year was lousy.

Last edited by RagingColt : 04-26-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: grammar
RagingColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:34 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

He doesn't look very athletic on the highlights, but you can't ignore the production.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:58 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

Here's Grigs & Pagano talking about him: http://www.colts.com/media-center/vi...f-75bfc94fd0ab

Mayock & I think Grigs mention that Werner is better at dropping in coverage than would be expected. They also talk about having him play both OLB spots. But yeah, he's not explosive off the edge like the pass-rushers we're used to.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:38 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I think his first step is actually really good and he's going to be a handful to block. I wanted Rhodes too. But I like this pick overall until I find a reason not to. I hope he starts over Walden.

i done stole dis sig
Old 04-26-2013, 11:37 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

I'll be frustrated if Walden gets the majority of the snaps.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Old 04-26-2013, 08:58 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hugh Thornton Illinois Guard is our 3rd rounder.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:00 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Hugh Thornton - OG.

Not a wow pick, but he can possibly start very quickly.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:04 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

He seems like a pretty nasty dude. His work at tackle means he should be solid in pass blocking and he supposedly is very strong and mean in run blocking. Terrible childhood growing up has apparently made him an angry man. So it'd be nice if something good happened for him, and good for us if he can use that anger to kick the ass of the guy in front of him.

Plus this probably means McGlynn is out. Crossing my fingers anyway.

i done stole dis sig
Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Well, I definitely had OLB and OG as our top 2 needs...
Old 04-26-2013, 09:18 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Well, I definitely had OLB and OG as our top 2 needs...
Yeah this has been about as "needs" based as it gets huh? I do think Werner was the BPA. I don't really know if Thornton really was or not. I tend to think there were some better players available, but maybe not for our roster. I'm just happy McGlynn's days are numbered.

i done stole dis sig
Old 04-26-2013, 09:41 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

Pual K on the ESPN AFC/S blog posted this about Thornton.

Who knows if Thornton will be part of a solution? When he gets a chance, he may not show elite technique but he could show elite toughness. According to Scouts Inc., Thornton rates as exceptional in that category.

Aggressive mauler that blocks to the whistle and can get under defender's skin but doesn't appear to be a hothead prone to personal foul calls. Always looking for someone to hit and uncoils on linebackers at the second level. Looks to deliver kill shot when ever gets a chance to blind side defender in space or help guard out when no one comes to him in pass protection.

Emphasis mine in bold. We've not had an O-Lineman fit that mold for . . . well . . . years in the Indy era of Colts football. For the entire Manning era Polian wanted to find guys that would fit the system of smaller/quicker lineman who would in good position to pass block. This came at the cost of elite run blocking quite often. I'm hoping with move on emphasizing larger/more aggressive O-Line during the Grigson era that we can bleed out the clock in the 4th quarter of games.

We saw Ballard drain the clock a few times last year with a sub-par O-Line for the most part. Seems the Thornton pick will help aid this.

I'm sensing a theme with our 1st two picks, mean guys who may not be overtly flashy or super athletic but can get the job done. Both may never be Pro-Bowlers but they should offer some toughness in the trenches and help enable us win playoff games.

Last year watching the picks come in after #1/Luck, I think many of us were kinda scratching our heads from the 3rd round on after he choose Allen and traded up for Hilton. At this point waiting to see how these players turn out is the best thing we can do. Until proven otherwise, let's ride the Monster!

Last edited by RagingColt : 04-26-2013 at 09:44 PM.
RagingColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:14 AM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

Our current OL coach (Joe Gilbert) coached OL at Illinois previously & recruited Thorton to Illinois. So they already know enough about him as they could.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:06 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

Hadn't heard of Hugh Thorton very much, but after going back and watching some tape I am glad to have him. He looks to be everything you look for as far as attitude goes. He is always looking for someone to hit and from what I saw excels in run blocking. I'm not sure about his pass pro, but the film I watched was mainly of him at LT.

Like everyone has said, he isn't projected as an OT but as a OG, but his versatility will come in handy. He seems like a pretty good guy despite some of his mistakes. I'm not sure I can blame him with the things he has gone through.

I'm really excited to have this guy as a Colt. It is reassuring that we have pegged OLB and OG early in the draft. Really like the way Grigson is handling everything. He mentioned he thinks this draft is full from rounds 3-5 so he didn't want to move up. I like his mindset and hopefully we can find a couple more solid players.

So I currently project the line as
Castonzo/Thomas/Satele/ThortonorReitzorMcGlynn/Cherilus

I am also hoping McGlynn gets cut. Hopefully Thorton is good enough to win a starting spot on the line. I like his attitude.

From here on out I grade needs as:

Center - I'm not sure I'm comfortable with Satele although I think the coaching staff is giving him another shot. A Barret Jones would be an ideal snag, but he could be long gone.

34 DE - I think when it is all said and done the Colts will be interested in getting some youth in at the DL. They will want someone at the 5 Tech spot. I keep hearing Jesse Williams can play 5 Tech and he is still on the board. Other players I have heard that could fill this role are William Gholston or Lavar Edwards.

CB - I would like to have some talent from the draft at the Corner spot. I'm not totally sure about Greg Toler and regardless we could use depth. I'm not sure if we can find a press corner this late though.

Other spots that could use depth with the right value is RB, WR, and S. What are you guys thinking as far as needs?

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Old 04-27-2013, 08:25 AM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

My idea on needs the rest of the draft:

S - Lefeged is the only backup capable playing for a short time period.

DE - Agree, Williams could offer ability to play as a 3/4 end and play some NT if needed. Good value if he's our 4th rounder.

CB - Some extra depth can't be a bad thing considering David/Toler have been hurt in the past.

RB - Either a downhill slammer or a 3rd down back would be welcomed.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:55 AM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

I'm fairly sure Edwards is a 4-3 DE, IIRC he's only like 260. In the last forum mock, I picked him in the 6th as a rotational pass rusher.

I'm a little surprised Jesse Williams fell. I've heard him described as an embryonic Haloti Ngata, because he's just so strong. Yet he's still available because he doesn't know how to use it.