Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-26-2013, 08:28 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's some good tape on Geno.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...&fr=moz35&tt=b
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After looking at the tape, wonder if the Jets are considering Stedman Bailey. Geno would have a weapon he's familiar with.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:51 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bummed that Kelce went. Not sure who I want here. Wheaton, maybe? Keenan Allen if they're okay with his medical and that slow 40.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At least we're in a great spot for a good WR.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:58 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was hoping they could go TE-S in rounds 3 and 4, but going WR and then TE/S and TE/S could work. Wheaton is my favorite I think given Allen has those medical questions, wouldn't mind Bailey but I definitely like Wheaton better. Wonder if they surprise and go defense, but I think after going QB and defense-defense in round one they've got to add some offensive skill talent.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:01 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Thinking it has to be WR with this pick .......
Old 04-26-2013, 09:11 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I like Winters. Surprised it wasn't a skill guy, but I don't have any issue with that pick.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:13 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I like Winters. Surprised it wasn't a skill guy, but I don't have any issue with that pick.

Like the pick. Actually got one right in my mock, although I had them taking him in the 4th.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:28 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Just saw they signed Peterman, so I like the pick ever so slightly less now. Think with the Peterman signing they were good enough at guard. Guess they had nothing long-term though. Hopefully Winters starts and then you have the better of Colon and Peterman starting at the other guard spot. Should be a solid line.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:50 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow. A very good day turned kind of sour. A 4th round pick for Ivory? That seems pretty crazy. Not only that, but the Bills got Goodwin? Man. Oh, and there's the Pats getting Collins. Too bad.

I do like the Winters pick though. Honestly, with our first four picks, we might have four Pro Bowlers, and three of those guys might be the best at their position out of this class. I'm a fan of everything they've done so far. The value on Geno was amazing, and even though I wasn't the biggest of fans of going QB simply because I was worried we would neglect skill positions (which is clear now that we will), but no one can affect the game more than a QB. I worry about Geno getting down on himself, much like Sanchez, but from a talent standpoint, he's great. Garrard isn't a bad guy to learn from either. Also like Winters. Versatile mauler.

Long way for our next pick. At that point, I guess I would want us to go Safety, but really, we sure need some help at WR IMO.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:55 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Trading the 4 for Ivory instead of the 5 stings. The Saints definitely won that trade on paper. Hopefully he proves worthy of that, I would've frankly preferred they just let him play out his one year and go after him in FA the following year to giving up the 4.

Hoping for Dion Sims or Josh Evans in the 5th. Da'Rick Rodgers would work too.

Last edited by derza222 : 04-26-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:59 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

...Actually, I forgot how good he is. I guess it's okay. We have a good stable of runningbacks now. Very long time until the next pick though. Interesting to see which route they'll go.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:07 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

While the 5th obviously would have been better, I'm not going to complain about giving up the 4th. He's only 25 and paired with Goodson, we have a completely different look coming out of the backfield. I've gone from frustrated to optimistic with the Jet plan so far. Guessing that WR/TE/S/OLB are the areas Jets will look to address in rounds 5-7.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:23 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

STL took Austin and Bailey ....... that's crazy ...
Old 04-27-2013, 12:20 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Looking at guys trying to help the QB out a bit, how about taking a shot on Marquess Wilson late? Lots of talent there.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:11 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Looking at guys trying to help the QB out a bit, how about taking a shot on Marquess Wilson late? Lots of talent there.
I like him a lot except for the character issues. I really don't like the Jet's draft. Young QB's need weapons to build their confidence around, where are they? Smith, IMO, was just a wasted pick.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:34 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Well he probably won't make it to the 5th round, but not really sure why he's still around anyway, so I will say that Quinton Patton is still around. I also like Chris Harper and Josh Boyce. I wouldn't be as happy with them, but I think Tavarres King, Ryan Swope, Kenny Stills, and Da'Rick Rogers have a place in the league as long as they get over some question marks. As for TEs, I pretty much only like Dion Sims, but I think at this point they'd only be looking at a blocking TE so anyone would be fine to me. We also could use more OL. Someone like a Quessenberry, Fragel, Schwenke, or Jones wouldn't be bad at all. But man. Offensive weapons... I really wouldn't even mind taking a flier on Denard later on simply to get more explosiveness from our skill positions.

On defense, however, there are still a lot of good players. I think we could get steals at OLB or S.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 04-27-2013 at 01:45 AM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:48 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Trading the 4 for Ivory instead of the 5 stings. The Saints definitely won that trade on paper. Hopefully he proves worthy of that, I would've frankly preferred they just let him play out his one year and go after him in FA the following year to giving up the 4.

Hoping for Dion Sims or Josh Evans in the 5th. Da'Rick Rodgers would work too.
if he stays healthy youll absolutely love the trade. ivory has been our best (and most underutilized) back for the last few years. look back at film of his rookie season where he was the only healthy back we had left for a few games and look how he produced back them.

stats from that window:
Carolina: 12 carries 67 yards
@Arizona: 10 carries 39 yards
@Tampa: 15 carries 158 yards
Cleveland: 15 carries 48 yards
Pitt: 7 carries 7 yards
@caro: 12 carries 50 yards
Seattle: 23 carries 99 yards 1td
@dallas: 7 carries 38 yards 2 td
@cinci: 15 carries 117 yard 2 td

in total over half a season being the actual starter (out of injury need)
116 carries 613 yards @5.8 ypc and 5 tds

if he does that for a full season you get about 200 carries, 1150ish yards and about 10 tds, that would be a great addition to your D. Its also the player who shows up on film consistently, youll absolutely love him. runs like beastmode but is faster

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:02 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Funny, looking at people's concerns with Geno, I see that almost all of his issues are problems we have with Sanchez. Poor leadership, does poor in bad weather games, doesn't account for blitzes, doesn't stand tall in the pocket. Haha. I do think he's quite the different person in a bit different of circumstances, however. We'll see how it plays out, but him and Manuel will be measured against one another for the rest of their careers. The Bills have pretty much put him in as great of a position to succeed as possible with the line and weapons they've afforded him. Should be at least another year before we can do the same for Smith, but hopefully it is something we plan on doing.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:46 AM    (permalink
AHungryWalrus
Veteran

AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I like him a lot except for the character issues. I really don't like the Jet's draft. Young QB's need weapons to build their confidence around, where are they? Smith, IMO, was just a wasted pick.
Um, he shouldn't be starting this year.

It's a QB league. If you have a potential franchise QB sitting there in the second, you take him. I don't care what the rest of your team looks like.

He needs time to sit and learn anyways, and next year we can worry about addressing his weapons. When we have a little salary cap space, and can throw some picks at young offensive guys.

If Smith plays well in camp, and looks like he can be our guy, then next year we don't have to use a first on a Quarterback, we can use it on a WR. And Geno looks like crap, we only used a second, and a significantly smaller financial investment.
AHungryWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:38 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see any way that Geno Smith isn't the week 1 starter. Sit and learn? Behind who? Who is he going to learn from? Garrard? Please.

I'm not a big fan of trading the 4th rounder for Ivory, especially considering how many solid players (particularly pass rushers which we need) are still on the board. But if he turns out to be a solid starter I guess I can't complain. We do have 12 picks lined up next year at least, although I doubt next years class is as deep in rounds 3-7 where we'll have all those extra picks =\
Old 04-27-2013, 11:51 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

«@MikeTriplett «@RapSheet Yup. With incentives too T @JohnHargz: according to @RapSheet Ivory deal is around $10 Million for 3 years #jets»»
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:13 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Character issues on Wilson are overblown to me. Leach has a reputation for being an abusive coach, takes brass ones to stand up for yourself and your teammates if you feel he's inappropriately treating everyone particularly with his NFL future on the line. I don't really have a huge problem with what he did from at least the context it seems like he was doing it.

I still think the Jets' weapons are underrated because Mark Sanchez is awful. The Holmes injury hurt them a lot. Provided Holmes comes back healthy they're probably one WR short, but Kerley is a quality slot guy. If Hill develops, they're fine there. Their running game should be better with the two guys they added. Do they have world beaters offensively? No, but with a competent quarterback they're probably at or a little bit below league average. And the line should be solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
if he stays healthy youll absolutely love the trade. ivory has been our best (and most underutilized) back for the last few years. look back at film of his rookie season where he was the only healthy back we had left for a few games and look how he produced back them.

stats from that window:
Carolina: 12 carries 67 yards
@Arizona: 10 carries 39 yards
@Tampa: 15 carries 158 yards
Cleveland: 15 carries 48 yards
Pitt: 7 carries 7 yards
@caro: 12 carries 50 yards
Seattle: 23 carries 99 yards 1td
@dallas: 7 carries 38 yards 2 td
@cinci: 15 carries 117 yard 2 td

in total over half a season being the actual starter (out of injury need)
116 carries 613 yards @5.8 ypc and 5 tds

if he does that for a full season you get about 200 carries, 1150ish yards and about 10 tds, that would be a great addition to your D. Its also the player who shows up on film consistently, youll absolutely love him. runs like beastmode but is faster
Nice to hear. I definitely like his playing style, the 4th is just a pretty high selection. Two major concerns are a) he was able to get in a little more space with the Saints than he'll be able to in New York since people obviously respected the Saints' passing game more than they'll respect the Jets' and b) his running style which I definitely like can lead to injury since he's definitely had issues getting dinged up. Hopefully he ends up being a stud and it's a win-win since the Saints have so much at RB anyway.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:33 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I liked a lot of other guys compared to Aboushi. Sounds like he is strictly a RT, with limited versatility. Would have liked a S (Jefferson), OLB (Jenkins?), or WR (Rogers, Swope). I agree with strengthening the OL though, so maybe I just don't know enough about him?

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:34 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He'll probably be a guard. And he'd have to be pretty bad there to not beat out Vlad.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote