Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 04-26-2013, 09:50 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So many better choices.
I just cannot trust any DB we pick, like, ever.
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:50 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ryans a decent pick at that spot.

I'm still crossing my fingers we go double WR's and get Stedman Bailey.
TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:52 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNPatsFan View Post
Ryans a decent pick at that spot.

I'm still crossing my fingers we go double WR's and get Stedman Bailey.
Oh please, please. That would be awesome.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:52 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, Alex Okafor is still there. I like him. And Jesse Williams as a backup NT. Some people had him going first round.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNPatsFan View Post
Also, Alex Okafor is still there. I like him. And Jesse Williams as a backup NT. Some people had him going first round.
J Williams really dropped, I'm surprised. High motor DL guys tend to be pretty good picks.

Okafor had a high Wonderlic test, scored well according to some statistical analysis.

I really don't understand picks like Ryan when there are still more dynamic players left on the board.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Logan Ryan, I like it. On the fence about Dobson obviously. Let's draft Jesse Williams here.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:10 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

There's the reach.
Jesus.
Whatevah.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Please somebody at least lie to me and tell me you've heard of Duron Harmon.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:16 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

Every year there's a major reach in round 2 or 3 for a guy I've never heard of. Every year I tell myself there's no way he can pick somebody I never heard of and every year he manages to do it.

Next year I'm just going to study every player on the Rutgers roster.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:17 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I predict Lattimore and Swope tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow, another pick I don't know much about. I mean I would've preferred Phillip Thomas and Shamarko Thomas. I probably shouldn't be so quick to judge though, they took Tavon Wilson in the second round last year and according to the archives on this site he wasn't even ranked on this site and he turned out to be okay.

Last edited by Jcn92 : 04-26-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Jcn92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:31 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

I mean, no. No.

I hate watching this team on defense. They can barely cover a fence post.
What is this now, 20 DBs since BB has been coach? He's not changed his evaluation process, not once. We should be like SF, a team without question marks. We have Tom ******* Brady. We play in a division with the Bills and the Jets. Yet we make these god awful reaches. We continue to win DESPITE our drafts, not because of it.

2nd Round: B+
3rd Round: F
Old 04-26-2013, 10:51 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

Even though I do like Logan Ryan as a player and think he's a pretty good pick where they got him, I have to ask myself this.

Were he and this Harmon kid really the best available players on the board? Or does BB just like them because they are from Rutgers and he is rating them higher than other guys just because of that fact. Because if he's really doing that, then someone in that draft room really needs to speak up and say wait a second Bill. Why are we always taking more Rutgers kids?

I mean are we supposed to believe that every year by some magical coincidence the best player on the board when we pick just happens to be from this bad football program in a bad football conference where your son went to school?
Old 04-26-2013, 11:06 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im really, really upset about this draft so far. pitiful.

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:14 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by proshoota25 View Post
im really, really upset about this draft so far. pitiful.
I really like the Jamie Collins pick, we have needed a player like him for a while. He is a project but I'm on board with that pick.

Logan Ryan was a good pick in the third. I have been a fan of his for a while and he will be a good player for us.

I had never heard of Harmon before we drafted him. The tape ROP posted looked good and Scotty had some positive things to say, but there were so many other options. We will see.

How can I be confident in the Dobson pick? He has tools and solid tape, but he just seems to be a classic failed WR pick for us. I am definitely intrigued by his skills though, the guy has the size and pure talent we have lacked at receiver since, well, besides Moss since forever.

Bottom line I look at all of those players and see how they could fit, but I also could see them all being busts. I honestly think Logan Ryan was the safest pick. However, all of these guys have talent at positions of need. At least we are rolling the dice on talented players instead of taking "safe" picks in the second round like Butler/Chung etc who don't amount to ****.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:27 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Notes from Belichick press conference:

Aaron Dobson: Says he has position versatility. Like his speed for his position. Says Dobson showed great intelligence when he examined him, specifically being able to recall why he did something and asking him what he would do in certain situations. It sounded like Bill came away very impressed from what he did on the white board and in private workouts.

Jamie Collins: Liked how he was able to play at both LB and DE. Likes that he was an OLB in the 3-4 his junior year, freshman year safety, senior year DE, and sophomore year LB. Mentioned similarity to Donta Hightower because both played a variety of different positions on defense.

Duron Harmon: on Harmon possibly being drafted to high "Thought he was good value when we took him. I don't know how other teams have their boards stacked, you can't predict that."

Logan Ryan: Good football player and a good program. He's been well coached. Knows his techniques well. He's tough, he's a good tackler.

Only one question about Harmon, but I doubt more questions would have gotten him to expand on it at all.

Mike Reiss reacted to the pick by talking about how Belichick analyzes guys and rates them differently than a lot of other guys. I think its wrong to simply say that Belichick is simply drafting these guys because they went to Rutgers and his son went there and he is friends with Schiano. I think it speaks to how special you have to be in order to play for him and that he values intelligence, leadership and character more than fans and other people might. This may sound corny and silly but in an interview with Scott Pioli I listened to, he talked about how Bill really valued getting guys with college degrees in the Patriots locker room and guys who were leaders. The other thing that I think must be considered is that because Belichick knows that Schiano has put these kids through NFL style drills and practices and is aware of what these kids have already learned so he wont have to teach them the technique they'll have to use in the NFL. Simply put, Belichick doesn't draft players he isn't comfortable with coaching or doesn't feel are smart enough to be coached by him, he picks the guys who he knows are.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:55 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Here's the question I have:
Why have we drafted 20+ defensive backs since BB has been coach?
What has been the opportunity cost of taking all those DB's instead of some other player at some other position?

We win a lot of games. We are a perennial play off team.
To what degree is that due to playing in a weak division?
How much does having a HoF QB and a HoF coach contribute to that?
We lost three games to the NFC West last year. If we played in that division, would we even be a SB contender, or would we instead be scrabbling for a wild card?

IMO, there is something clearly wrong with our approach to the draft. It reminds somewhat when Elway played for Reeves (yes I'm that old.) It's as if Reeves had to prove he could win his way. I don't know, but there's a disconnect here that I don't quite get.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:07 AM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

That's a fair question Blackluck, but to be completely fair we also should ask how many DB's all the other teams have drafted? I don't know the answer but I suspect most teams don't have much better luck than the Pats have had. Lots of DB's are drafted every year and very, very few of them actually become good players. They are hard to find and you need more than one or two of them.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:06 AM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After watching film of all 4, I will say I feel better about our selections. However, Collins/Dobson will be boom or bust players IMO. Their potential is off the charts. Duron Harmond actually looks pretty good and is a sleeper pick.... he is a true FS that we haven't had in a while. Logan Ryan will be solid in zone schemes.... just don't ask him to press or go man to man cuz he will get burned

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:08 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Please somebody at least lie to me and tell me you've heard of Duron Harmon.
I've heard of him. (no seriously, I have)
Old 04-27-2013, 01:42 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

12345 12345

Last edited by Blackluck : 04-27-2013 at 05:48 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:12 AM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Listened to the Aaron Dobson and Jamie Collins conference calls with the press. Came away very impressed with Dobson as he seems like a very smart individual. Fascinated by Collins though. He came into Southern Miss at 210 and said he had only played CB/S in high school. Over his time there he eventually shot up to 250 and ended up playing with his hand in the dirt. That's great to have a guy that big that can blitz but at the same time has the smarts of player from the secondary that can drop back into coverage.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:03 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
Wow, another pick I don't know much about. I mean I would've preferred Phillip Thomas and Shamarko Thomas. I probably shouldn't be so quick to judge though, they took Tavon Wilson in the second round last year and according to the archives on this site he wasn't even ranked on this site and he turned out to be okay.
Duron Harmon is a decent player, but he takes bad angles. Sometimes, they are really bad. I like his tackling and his coverage and all of that, but how he attacks the ball carrier (especially in traffic) leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:29 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proshoota25 View Post
After watching film of all 4, I will say I feel better about our selections. However, Collins/Dobson will be boom or bust players IMO. Their potential is off the charts. Duron Harmond actually looks pretty good and is a sleeper pick.... he is a true FS that we haven't had in a while. Logan Ryan will be solid in zone schemes.... just don't ask him to press or go man to man cuz he will get burned
I just read a scouting report that said the complete opposite. That Logan is at his best in Press coverage. Average in zone. Needs to work on his back pedal though cause he's miserable at it and has gotten burned bar bc of it. Still, Press coverage is what he excels at.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:57 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
I just read a scouting report that said the complete opposite. That Logan is at his best in Press coverage. Average in zone. Needs to work on his back pedal though cause he's miserable at it and has gotten burned bar bc of it. Still, Press coverage is what he excels at.
Yeah Ryan reminds me A LOT of Dennard. That was the first thing I thought of when I watched him, both physically and stylistically.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote