Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 04-27-2013, 09:07 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
What would Okoye be listed at in the NFL though? What position would he want to play?
They're going to start him off at DE as well they should. 6'4, 300 lbs with long arms. I can't say enough how much I LOVE our draft. Even got Latt, which should make Menardo happy ;)

Even the UDFAs are money. Marquadt is a great signing. Heard before the draft several teams were eyeing him and to get him with the talent we have already is big. Baalke had to nail this draft with the FAs we have coming up in the next two years. He not only nailed it, he cremated it. Don't get the Daniels pick but it doesn't matter because when you kill it for the first 6 rounds, you can have a 'wtf' moment. Like the Cooper pick too. He had some untapped potential with his size. We have just re-upped in a major way.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 04-27-2013 at 09:11 PM.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:43 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And may I add, the fact that we didn't draft a CB until our last pick proves my point that our CBs were not the problem everyone made them out to be. They had a rough stretch of games, which ppl totally blew out of proportion. If they were a problem, bet your ass Baalke would have addressed it. The problem was always the front seven getting gassed late in the year. Won't have to worry about that, going forward
Old 04-27-2013, 10:00 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Looking forward, in 2014 our major FA's are Justin, Brown, Goodwin, Manningham, Boldin, and Whitner.

I think Patton/Jenkins will replace Boldin and Manningham, although i'd like to re-sign Boldin too. Tank for Justin (although we'll probably see a drop in quality). Possibly Kilgore or Looney for Goodwin, but this one i'm unsure about.

Therefore i think our 2014 needs will be CB, SS, and C (maybe). I think we're set everywhere else for the immediate future (thanks to investments at RB, TE, DL, LB this weekend).
Add in McCoy, Tolzien (RFA), Dixon, Dobbs (RFA), Tukuafu (RFA), Haralson, Cox, Brock, Asomugha and McBath as 2014 free agents.

A lot of free agents next year and that doesnt count the players who'll be entering the last year of their rookie contract so nailing every draft pick through round 6 was great.

2014 will be mainly about CB as we have 4 players at CB who'll be UFA's plus if Rogers doesnt bounce back, I can definitely see Rogers being released which would leave only ONE CB (Culliver) on the roster for 2014 and he would be going into the final year of his rookie contract.

Out of all our potential UFA's next year, I think that the veterans will all be gone except for maybe Justin especially if he bounces back from his injury. The rest, unlikely. The younger guys like McCoy, Tolzien, Dixon, Cox, Brock and McBath are more likely to be re-signed because they're younger and cheaper.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:06 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
They're going to start him off at DE as well they should. 6'4, 300 lbs with long arms. I can't say enough how much I LOVE our draft. Even got Latt, which should make Menardo happy ;)

Even the UDFAs are money. Marquadt is a great signing. Heard before the draft several teams were eyeing him and to get him with the talent we have already is big. Baalke had to nail this draft with the FAs we have coming up in the next two years. He not only nailed it, he cremated it. Don't get the Daniels pick but it doesn't matter because when you kill it for the first 6 rounds, you can have a 'wtf' moment. Like the Cooper pick too. He had some untapped potential with his size. We have just re-upped in a major way.
If Okoye can even become a solid rotational player at DE, he'll be a steal. I agree with you 100% in regards to Baalke kicking ass with this draft. Definitely better than last year and could give 2011 a run for its money. Every pick was good and made sense except for the QB drafted but whatever, a 7th rounder, no biggie.

Quote:
And may I add, the fact that we didn't draft a CB until our last pick proves my point that our CBs were not the problem everyone made them out to be. They had a rough stretch of games, which ppl totally blew out of proportion. If they were a problem, bet your ass Baalke would have addressed it. The problem was always the front seven getting gassed late in the year. Won't have to worry about that, going forward
My concern with our roster and depth at CB isnt how they played the last month or so of the season. My concern is the fact that 4 out of the 6 are UFA's next year and if Rogers were to get released (which is definitely a possibility), we would only have ONE CB on the roster (Culliver) and he would be entering the final year of his rookie contract.

This has always been my main concern. Losing too many players at one position all at the same time.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:27 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
My concern with our roster and depth at CB isnt how they played the last month or so of the season. My concern is the fact that 4 out of the 6 are UFA's next year and if Rogers were to get released (which is definitely a possibility), we would only have ONE CB on the roster (Culliver) and he would be entering the final year of his rookie contract.

This has always been my main concern. Losing too many players at one position all at the same time.
I understand the concern but one thing Baakle is great at is replenishing depth. If guys like Cox and Brock step up, they should be fairly easy to re-sign. Take Cooper and stash him on the PS or IR for a year, let him get stronger and develop. Baalke will re-stock the cupard either way. I have ultimate faith in Baalke that there is a plan in place for every scenario. We may begin the 2014 with only 2 CBs on the roster but we certainly won't end the season with only two.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 04-27-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:02 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just don't get drafting another QB in the late rounds. We needed a kicker IMO. Oh well. I still loved out draft picks and I called Lattimore today boom. He should be Gore 2.0 IMO. I can't for the season to kick off!
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:17 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I just don't get drafting another QB in the late rounds. We needed a kicker IMO. Oh well. I still loved out draft picks and I called Lattimore today boom. He should be Gore 2.0 IMO. I can't for the season to kick off!
Why the hell do we need a kicker when we signed one of the best kickers in league as a free agent?
Old 04-27-2013, 11:31 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm reading that BJ Daniels is looked at as a 3rd quarterback that can contribute elsewhere.

One player - 3 positions: QB, WR, KR - called him a swiss army knife.

Makes a lot more sense.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:49 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Why the hell do we need a kicker when we signed one of the best kickers in league as a free agent?
Yes we did but I wanted us to draft one and start from there. It's not a big deal just wondering and thought process of signing another QB etc.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:04 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2am View Post
I'm reading that BJ Daniels is looked at as a 3rd quarterback that can contribute elsewhere.

One player - 3 positions: QB, WR, KR - called him a swiss army knife.

Makes a lot more sense.
I understand his role. He'll be on the PS as the scout team QB to get the defense prepared for the RG3's and Rus Wilson's of the world. Jimbaugh leaves no stone unturned. I just don't think you had to waste a pick on the guy. He wasn't getting drafted but it was a comp pick so I guess its whatever to them.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:13 AM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

bj daniels to me looks like he's going to be wr or s...
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:36 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

Probably a wide out IMO. Unless he plaid s in high school. To much of a transition to play S just my thoughts.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:04 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any chance Marcus Cooper could be a steal for us? He's got the tools and the coaching. But its not always that easy. I just know nothing about him.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:27 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Any chance Marcus Cooper could be a steal for us? He's got the tools and the coaching. But its not always that easy. I just know nothing about him.
I like him as guy you develop. Stick him on STs, let him bulk up a bit and see if he's ready to step up in a few years. Don't believe he's ready now but I see some things there Donatell can work with.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:27 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Me after this draft, including UDFAs

Old 04-28-2013, 04:24 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was pretty awesome waking up at 7am here, checking my phone and seeing that we had took Lattimore. I couldn't believe it.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:58 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like this guy more after watching this

Old 04-28-2013, 07:34 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okoye looks like a beast. I hope he plays on the defensive side of the ball and becomes a terror. How can that guy not make the roster?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:49 AM    (permalink
Goon61
Rookie

Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am from USF and everyone here is very surprised BJ got drafted
Goon61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:51 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Okoye looks like a beast. I hope he plays on the defensive side of the ball and becomes a terror. How can that guy not make the roster?
Ummmmmmm.....well......maybe becuase.....you know....he's has NEVER played a down of football...like EVER. You might not have noticed but playing football at the professional level is extremely difficult. Especially if you've never played the game before...at all. And then we have a very deep, talented roster already and we drafted 11 very talented players on top of that. I loved that we got him but I honestly have no idea how were going to keep him. If he is one of the final cuts, I doubt he'll clear waivers. Someone will take a flyer. He's too young and too much of a athlete not to. And it be ashamed to keep him and have to cut someone who could have helped you right now. Stay tuned.....
Old 04-28-2013, 11:57 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

I will say this, we could possibly have the most competitive TC in the league. A lot of talent. A ton of depth. If were ever to get hit with the OTA/TC injury bug on the defensive side of the ball, let this be the year it happens. Were going to be sending a lot of talent through the waiver wire, hoping they make it through.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:53 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good call with the roster talk. Here's my early 53 man roster guess. Hey, we talk about the draft in January, why not talk roster in April? Rookies in Bold. This isn't really a depth chart, starters first and backups 2nd in whatever order

QB: Colin Kaepernick (Colt McCoy, Scott Tolzien)
RB: Frank Gore (Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon, Bruce Miller)
TE: Vernon Davis (Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek)
WR: Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin (Quinton Patton, AJ Jenkins, Kyle Williams, Mario Manningham)
OT: Joe Staley, Anthony Davis (Luke Marqueldt)
OG/C- Mike Iupati, Jonathan Goodwin, Alex Boone (Daniel Kilgore, Joe Looney)

DL- Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Glenn Dorsey (Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial, Demarcus Dobbs, Ian Williams)
ILB- Patrick Willis, NaVarro Bowman (Nick Moody, Dan Skuta)
OLB- Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks (Corey Lemenier, Parys Haralson)
CB- Carlos Rogers, Tarrell Brown, Chris Culliver, Nnamdi Asomugha, Tramaine Brock
S- Eric Reid, Donte Whitner, Craig Dahl, CJ Spillman, Trenton Robinson

K- Phil Dawson
P- Andy Lee
LS- Brian Jennings
KR/PR- Kyle Williams, LaMichael James, Kendall Hunter

PUP/IR- Marcus Lattimore

PS- BJ Daniels, Jewel Hampton, Ricardo Lockette, Al Netter, Tony Jerrod-Eddie, Michael Wilhoite, Marcus Cooper, Michael Thomas

So in my estimation, 8 rookies make the 53 with Lattimore on PUP to start the year. Daniels and Cooper to the PS, with Bykowski being the annual guy we cut and don't put on the PS. I think we make some tough cuts with vets and 2012 rookies like Darius Fleming, Cam Johnson, Perrish Cox, Will Tuakufu, and Darcel McBath to make way for new players.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:01 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

Just from that list, I would say Dixon and Goodwin are bubble guys

Also, Okoye to the PS

Still extremely early to be talking 53 man roster though :D
Old 04-28-2013, 01:15 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Good call with the roster talk. Here's my early 53 man roster guess. Hey, we talk about the draft in January, why not talk roster in April? Rookies in Bold. This isn't really a depth chart, starters first and backups 2nd in whatever order

QB: Colin Kaepernick (Colt McCoy, Scott Tolzien)
RB: Frank Gore (Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon, Bruce Miller)
TE: Vernon Davis (Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek)
WR: Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin (Quinton Patton, AJ Jenkins, Kyle Williams, Mario Manningham)
OT: Joe Staley, Anthony Davis (Luke Marqueldt)
OG/C- Mike Iupati, Jonathan Goodwin, Alex Boone (Daniel Kilgore, Joe Looney)

DL- Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Glenn Dorsey (Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial, Demarcus Dobbs, Ian Williams)
ILB- Patrick Willis, NaVarro Bowman (Nick Moody, Dan Skuta)
OLB- Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks (Corey Lemenier, Parys Haralson)
CB- Carlos Rogers, Tarrell Brown, Chris Culliver, Nnamdi Asomugha, Tramaine Brock
S- Eric Reid, Donte Whitner, Craig Dahl, CJ Spillman, Trenton Robinson

K- Phil Dawson
P- Andy Lee
LS- Brian Jennings
KR/PR- Kyle Williams, LaMichael James, Kendall Hunter

PUP/IR- Marcus Lattimore

PS- BJ Daniels, Jewel Hampton, Ricardo Lockette, Al Netter, Tony Jerrod-Eddie, Michael Wilhoite, Marcus Cooper, Michael Thomas

So in my estimation, 8 rookies make the 53 with Lattimore on PUP to start the year. Daniels and Cooper to the PS, with Bykowski being the annual guy we cut and don't put on the PS. I think we make some tough cuts with vets and 2012 rookies like Darius Fleming, Cam Johnson, Perrish Cox, Will Tuakufu, and Darcel McBath to make way for new players.
I think MM starts the year on the PUP. Don't think he'll be ready to open the season. His injury was worst than ppl think. He torn, both his ACL and PCL. I don't think we'll rush him back. That should free up a foster spot for the first couple of monts. Fleming is PS eligible and I think he'll make it over Lockette, who I believe has used up all his eligibility. I think he was on the PS in Seattle when he was there.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:25 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

According to Seahawks.net, Schneider wanted BJ Daniels. Now that pick really makes sense ;)