Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 04-26-2013, 08:01 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
Overreactions much?
We have a guard with 5 college starts and a really bad linebacker through the first three rounds. Take off your homer glasses.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:05 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im not saying they are great picks. But it rather see them actually play some before I actually crucify someone. We are addressing our needs, which is the most important part in my eyes. The staff sees them as the best options at that position.

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:07 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
Im not saying they are great picks. But it rather see them actually play some before I actually crucify someone. We are addressing our needs, which is the most important part in my eyes. The staff sees them as the best options at that position.
The staff sucks. If a guy can't stop the run or pass in college, he can't do it when the Pack comes to town.

I can't believe Emery managed to make me miss Jerry Angelo.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

oh well, if you feel that strongly. You probably should apply for a job as a talent evaluator somewhere

Old 04-26-2013, 08:15 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The picks may work out in the long run, but as of right now they are nothing to write home about. There is nothing wrong in saying that the picks have been disappointing and I feel that to "wait and see" is a cop out to giving an opinion. You're right though, these guys are the professionals, so maybe they will work out. Just hard to see past that right now when there are other players who, in my mind, were better and could be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Emery just said in his presser that Bostic is clearly the most athletic MLB in the draft class according to his system. Said the same thing about Long yesterday.

Al Davis possessed Emery when his last flesh shell gave out. :(
Old 04-26-2013, 10:46 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't mind the Bostic pick. It's early, but he's an athletic guy who fits the system and has experience playing in the SEC.

Dan Pompei seems to like the Long pick, and he's one of the few people in the Chicago media I have any respect for, so there's something.

I still think Emery is just trying way too hard to be cute. That includes the Trestman hire as well.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:43 PM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

Damontre Moore would have been a nice pick instead of Bostic. Or Brandon Williams, or Jonathan Hankins.

Or if they're dead set on LB with that pick, Arthur Brown.
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:29 AM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agreed with the two previous posts. Emery is trying to be so smart, hopefully he is, but it is damn frustrating right now.

And agreed with AT, I was thinking that Moore could have been a nice value pick. With all that Trestman talked about catering the system to players, it could have made sense. But with Brown, Moore, that CB Taylor? on the board, some decent WRs...the Bostic pick was very disappointing.

Still we have taken positions of need, so my hope today is that we look at the following:
CB - tillman/jennings contract up next season...clear need
WR - need another guy to bolster our WR corps
RB - would maybe allow us to cut Bush, save some money, while getting a cheaper and productive option
QB - need a back up/project QB
OL - Barrett Jones is still on the board...!

Quote:
Old 04-27-2013, 08:02 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kyle Long will become a good player without a doubt. Of course I hope I am wrong, but I believe you'll end up loving the pick there.
Drafting is guesswork. It's not "what they did in college".... it's a guess at what they will do in the NFL.

I don't know about Bostic.
I was afraid you guys were going to take Arthur Brown though... I think he's an instant stud in the NFL and I wanted him to replace Hawk.

You guys crack me up though and I can feel ya pain.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:29 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like the Greene pick. Should be a core special teams player and is a prototypical will linebacker for our system. Interestingly, NFL.com said that the player he most reminds them of is Geno Hayes. Hopefully he can be a slight upgrade over that, but Hayes provided good depth last year.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:52 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Normally I don't care about the later rounds, but I'll give Emery a lot of credit for killing it with picks 4-6. We didn't get the help at WR or CB that we needed, but the guys we got were all good value for where they were taken.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:53 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Also I tend to think the issue with Tillman and Jennings being free agrents is a bit overrated. Tillman isn't going anywhere, I'm sure they will franchise him if they have to. And Jennings already makes 5 mil a season, so it's not like it should take much more than that per to keep him around.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:27 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Also I tend to think the issue with Tillman and Jennings being free agrents is a bit overrated. Tillman isn't going anywhere, I'm sure they will franchise him if they have to. And Jennings already makes 5 mil a season, so it's not like it should take much more than that per to keep him around.
The Bears don't need starting CBs, but some depth would be nice. Aren't our top five corners free agents next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:44 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

I would agree that this day has been pretty good. I don't know too much about the OL, but Greene was definitely a guy that I could have lived with in the 2nd had we chosen him. He slipped for a reason, but he had a pretty good career at Rutgers. Also don't know too much about the DE/OLB we drafted in the 6th, other than his combine numbers were pretty damn solid. Still am hoping we snag some WR in the 7th. Pick is a few minutes away and Da'Rick and Marques Wilson are both on the board. Talented players who have dropped. Also Bray and Dysert are still on the board.

edit: **** yeah. Been wanting a WR, and Marques has been one that I have been quietly wanting in the later rounds. The guy had good production, just character issues and a little inconsistency. I think it is a great 7th round pick that will hopefully work out.

Quote:

Last edited by bearfan : 04-27-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:15 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I still don't think I like Emery, but he killed it today.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:49 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Feels like Emery values combine numbers more than he does game film, which I don't like.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:13 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I like going with the height/weight/speed guys in rounds 4-7. For the most part you're just drafting special teams players anyway, so their positional value is lessened, and if you bust it doesn't really matter all that much.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:46 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

A lot of High upside guys.

We picked 4 guys of Mayocks Top100 for whatever thats worth

Old 04-28-2013, 11:56 AM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

Overall I can live with this draft. The 1st two picks may come back and haunt us, we just don't know right now. Hopefully they pan out, but we won't know for a couple of years. We did do well at the end of the draft, and I loved the Greene and Wilson picks.

Overall, I'd give the entire draft a C+/B-. We filled positions of need and got some nice players on the back end.

As for the offseason, I have loved it. We picked up some stopgap vets who have played and are solid players. No Omiyale's of the world to come in and start. Some guys who have solid production on the cheap and then we got some draft picks to fill in once they leave. Not bad in my books.

Quote:
Old 04-28-2013, 01:06 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

From what I've seen from Emery so far I like his smaller moves (late draft picks, signing vets on 1-year deals) more than I do the bigger ones (1st round picks, Jermon Bushrod). That said, in total I think he's done an adequate job of addressing some of our bigger needs.

1) Offensive line was still totally incapable of protecting Cutler last year. So far they've brought in 5 new offensive lineman to add to a group of Garza, Webb, Carimi, James Brown, and Ed Williams. At most you'd think they would keep 9 offensive lineman, maybe 8, so it's nice to add to the competition.

2) Addressed the elephant in the room by gently nudging Urlacher out the door. That's never easy to do, and I think he did a nice job of not letting his end play out in the media. It's a business. That gives me hope that he'll be able to handle the Cutler situation next year with the same amount of skill.

3) In addition with the linebacker position I think he made the right move in letting Roach walk for that money, bringing in two stop-gap starters, and drafting their replacements for 2014. This is assuming, of course, that Bostic and Greene pan out, but still. This also gives us more depth at linebacker for 2013 than we had for 2012.

4) I think everyone loves the Martellus Bennett signing.

5) Marc Trestman is an odd signing, and I can't really get over the fact that a guy who basically got turned down for my sad Gophers football job is now the coach of the Chicago Bears, but I do think Emery made the correct decision to go from a defensive obsessed guy to a quarterback guru. It's obviously the way of the NFL now.

So, we'll see, I don't like either of his 1st round picks, and I'm not convinced Trestman has the chops to be an NFL head coach, but I can at least see and appreciate most of what Emery is trying to do. If nothing else the offense should be more fun to watch this year at least.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:19 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I also think they are in a good situation now to start a relatively painless overhaul if things turn out bad next year. They don't have much future money tied up in older players. In fact, not including this rookie class, there are only 12 guys under contract for more than the next two seasons, and almost all of those guys are Emery picks or signings (Peppers is the only exception, and I doubt he sees the end of his contract)

Old 04-29-2013, 07:53 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Bears erred taking Long in the 1st. Maybe he wouldn't have been around when next they picked, so be it. Picks 4, 6 and 7 are the best of the draft, good players even if Washington and Wilson come with tons of questions. Worth the risk at that point. I think the Bears would've been better suited to taking Trufant, Floyd or Werner in the first and grabbing Arthur Brown when he is miraculously still there in the 2nd.

F.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:10 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I loved the Marquess Wilson pick. He has some character issues with him quitting the team (still don't know the whole story) but he was once thought of as a early round guy. If he gets his head straight, he could be a steal. I'm all for picking high upside guys that fell due to issues (character or injury concerns) extremely low risk but huge potential for reward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:48 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Mike Leach is a douchenozzle. I think it's really telling that nobody in the Bears even bothered to talk to him about the situation.