Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:19 AM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pretty sure every single stat and measurable is very overrated when taken alone.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:27 AM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
Height would be top of my list, with the exception of a very select couple of positions you use the top of your head or the height of your head for nothing or incredibly infrequently at best (QB an exception obviously). Standing reach and wingspan are far more important to me. In several positions where leverage matters, being shorter is often an advantage.

After that... bench press at the combine. It's an endurance measurement in an explosive strength based sport. A single rep or even 3 rep test would give a far better indicator of football related strength and even then it would be a pretty poor representation. The combine bench press would be the equivalent of replacing the 40 with a 2 mile run.

Tackles almost certainly are the worst stat, they give you very little information in isolation.

QB height can be overvalued, i agree it is better to be 6'4"..but there have been shorter QBs that have had sucess...BUT when heigh is brought into the scenario like "OMGZZZ QB A is 6'6" with a rocket arm...." i think sometime it is just overvalued or atleast over emphasized.

But i never actually thought about the Bench Press like that, having played football most of my younger life and still work out ...being able to bench so 225 lbs 2-3 times i FAR less impressive than being able to do it 20 times.

I guess a 2-3 max would be a better indicator of actual strength, like a DT that can do 650 lbs 2 times would show alot more than him being able to lift 225 20 times.

Last edited by Denver Bronco56 : 04-23-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:46 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I cringe every time somebody talks about where an NFL player was ranked coming out of High School. That was 5-10 years ago, when he was playing against guys who weighed 150 pounds.

Nobody cares where a player was ranked or how he was projected when he was 17 years old.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:07 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I cringe every time somebody talks about where an NFL player was ranked coming out of High School. That was 5-10 years ago, when he was playing against guys who weighed 150 pounds.

Nobody cares where a player was ranked or how he was projected when he was 17 years old.
bryce brown says FU

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:23 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post

I get your point but I actually find it pretty amazing how many on those top 100 lists end up being good NFL players. And how a lot of guys in the top 20 end up being top 20 draft picks...

It's pretty cool that even at age 17, A.J. Green and Julio were tied at the hip and destined to be two of the best receivers in the world. That Stafford was No. 1 on Rivals and No. 1 in the draft. Etc. Etc.

Just goes to show you how good recruiting is.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:54 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I get your point but I actually find it pretty amazing how many on those top 100 lists end up being good NFL players. And how a lot of guys in the top 20 end up being top 20 draft picks...

It's pretty cool that even at age 17, A.J. Green and Julio were tied at the hip and destined to be two of the best receivers in the world. That Stafford was No. 1 on Rivals and No. 1 in the draft. Etc. Etc.

Just goes to show you how good recruiting is.
Yeah i think if anything its a cool reference to see how somehow was projected and how they turned out.

But if someone is saying player x was better in HS than player y, i think that is ridiculous.
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:49 PM    (permalink
49ers1984
Rookie

49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.49ers1984 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Passing Yards are overrated. It is easier now then ever to get higher passing yards and you can get a lot of passing yards yet only kick field goals or not score at all.
49ers1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:22 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the most overrated measurable for RBs is when RBs get stereotyped that they can't be a starter over a full season and hold up physically because of their size when that really isn't the key issue. The guys RUNNING STYLE will determine his longevity and if he is a full time player. You see guys like Ray Rice that were said to not be a feature back because they aren't big enough to be an every down player, but the way he runs the ball he hardly ever gets hit. By hit I mean he runs into arms and turns full body contact tackles into glancing tackles and doesn't take very many square hits with the exception of blind pursuit. Then you have guys on the flip side like Chris Ivory for example that don't miss out on ANY contact and always try to square people up, which as a result leads to frequent nicks and injuries.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Guru
Rookie

Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

People harping that a guy is 6'0 230 instead of 6'2 240 or something similar. Do people understand how little 10lbs really is and how small 2 inches is? It's so dumb.
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote