Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-29-2013, 06:18 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm advocating Costa being gone. I absolutely hated him in 2011. He was just as bad as Free's 2012. The botched snaps and the horrible play has me soured against him. People bring up the Raven game, but the Ravens had a terrible run D at that point. Maybe he has improved, but it's not hard to improve from the bottom rung of suckage.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I'm advocating Costa being gone. I absolutely hated him in 2011. He was just as bad as Free's 2012. The botched snaps and the horrible play has me soured against him. People bring up the Raven game, but the Ravens had a terrible run D at that point. Maybe he has improved, but it's not hard to improve from the bottom rung of suckage.
Haha. I like the decisiveness! I wouldn't shed a tear either.

I'm just glad the Cowboys recognized the need too and didn't bank on another season of the Costa project.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:49 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol Yeah I hate Costa. Him and Free have made me a sad panda in the past. Free more so because I thought he was going to be an awesome tandem with Tyron. I'm hoping like hell they get Clabo or Winston.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:47 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, RT market is picking up again. I'm beginning to think we aren't going to sign Clabo, in which case my optimism for the season will be right down the drain if it's right back to Doug Free out there. That basically eliminates any upgrades we did have. More then likely they'll be gone before we get money freed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:59 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
So, RT market is picking up again. I'm beginning to think we aren't going to sign Clabo, in which case my optimism for the season will be right down the drain if it's right back to Doug Free out there. That basically eliminates any upgrades we did have. More then likely they'll be gone before we get money freed up.
I agree, if our only upgrade is at Center its going to be another year of not being able to run, unable to pick up a yard at a crutial part of the game, ant Tony will be getting killed again. All those new toys are no good without more help on the line.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:18 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
I agree, if our only upgrade is at Center its going to be another year of not being able to run, unable to pick up a yard at a crutial part of the game, ant Tony will be getting killed again. All those new toys are no good without more help on the line.
Teams have gotten by with less at OG. We need them all to play together in training camp....if we have our starting 5 together throughout the pre-season we should have a better idea of what to expect. Costa was definitely the weakest link imo. Who knows how Livings/Bernie will play with a better anchoring player in Frederick. Another thing to factor is that when Wisconsin needed a tough yard they ran behind Frederick. Our running game hasn't been good...but a lot of the falls back on not being able to convert short yardage situations. You need to be able to get the tough yards here on the ground...because it's going to be a big blitz from the defense. If you can't gain this yard on the ground..we are going to be going with a outside pitch or a quick pass...these are far more complicated to execute which seems to be our biggest problem. Adding a power player at center could extend drives by not stalling on 3rd and short. I'm not saying he solves all of our running issues...just that I need to see our line work together and how cohesive they are before I write them off as still not being able to run block. I don't know the future and I don't think you do either pocketaces

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:36 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We have cap space now. It's a matter of terms. The idea that we currently are waiting on money from a potential Doug Free cut is erroneous.

Including the carryover of $2,335,379 from last year's cap we are sitting pretty with $4,469,505 in cap space right now. We could easily sign someone like Claibo/Winston and then cut Free June 1st and we would have more than enough to sign draft picks before camp.

If a player isn't signed it isn't due to us not having cap space it is an inability to come to terms.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:42 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Teams have gotten by with less at OG. We need them all to play together in training camp....if we have our starting 5 together throughout the pre-season we should have a better idea of what to expect. Costa was definitely the weakest link imo. Who knows how Livings/Bernie will play with a better anchoring player in Frederick. Another thing to factor is that when Wisconsin needed a tough yard they ran behind Frederick. Our running game hasn't been good...but a lot of the falls back on not being able to convert short yardage situations. You need to be able to get the tough yards here on the ground...because it's going to be a big blitz from the defense. If you can't gain this yard on the ground..we are going to be going with a outside pitch or a quick pass...these are far more complicated to execute which seems to be our biggest problem. Adding a power player at center could extend drives by not stalling on 3rd and short. I'm not saying he solves all of our running issues...just that I need to see our line work together and how cohesive they are before I write them off as still not being able to run block. I don't know the future and I don't think you do either pocketaces
Well in case you missed it, last years was the worst year in the history of the franchise running the ball. 79 YPG and 3.6 YPC. We ranked 31st in rushing yards. So yeah, I think I have a pretty good idea of what to expect based on history. If you want to believe 1 upgrade, that we have yet to see if he is truly an upgrade, will cure all of that then I think your being a little naive or have had to much of the koolaid.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 04-30-2013, 12:44 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
We have cap space now. It's a matter of terms. The idea that we currently are waiting on money from a potential Doug Free cut is erroneous.

Including the carryover of $2,335,379 from last year's cap we are sitting pretty with $4,469,505 in cap space right now. We could easily sign someone like Claibo/Winston and then cut Free June 1st and we would have more than enough to sign draft picks before camp.

If a player isn't signed it isn't due to us not having cap space it is an inability to come to terms.
I'm still confused when it comes to the cap. As soon as I think I know what's going on, I read something that conflicts what I thought. Winston went on record saying he would take a $3-4M a year deal. I don't think we have it to be honest. Are you factoring the money we need to sign our rookies?
Old 04-30-2013, 12:50 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post

As is now, we just have 2 many weak spots. Our cap situation has absolutely CRUSHED us this off-season. Look at what Huff, Clabo, and Brandon Moore would do here. 3 starters at positions of need, and we would have upgraded 3 offensive line spots and along with Tyron that would be 4 good starters so filling in Livings or Berny on the last one seems like all of a sudden a good line.

As is now, it's not enough. Originally I did want Parnell as a 1 year stop gap at RT, but I'm not sure we want to give him that shot. I just hate that we are potentially going to let some upgrades slip away.

Quote:
Old 04-30-2013, 01:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
As is now, we just have 2 many weak spots. Our cap situation has absolutely CRUSHED us this off-season. Look at what Huff, Clabo, and Brandon Moore would do here. 3 starters at positions of need, and we would have upgraded 3 offensive line spots and along with Tyron that would be 4 good starters so filling in Livings or Berny on the last one seems like all of a sudden a good line.

As is now, it's not enough. Originally I did want Parnell as a 1 year stop gap at RT, but I'm not sure we want to give him that shot. I just hate that we are potentially going to let some upgrades slip away.
That's just the way it goes man. Free was something special when we gave him that extension and if we had let him get away at the time, Cowboys Nation would've been unforgivable to Jerry. We kept him and he screwed us over 10 fold. The blame is on the player in this case.

The Sensabaugh, Spears and Scandrick extensions were definitely blamed on the Cowboys though. We all knew better, but they didn't.

I'm sort of in the middle between you and thule. I clearly see that if things don't improve from last year that our success will be limited. However, thule has a point that things can change depending on how they work as a group. Livings and Berny got better as the season went on. Missing the entire training camp and preseason hurt us. ...and having a Center who can actually anchor would help our Guards out immensely. The Free/Parnell rotation at RT brought out the best of them in competition. I need to see more of Parnell. We could have something right beneath our eyes.

My question is... Are David Arkin and Ron Leary able to step up and really compete to steal Livings and Bernadeau's jobs??? If they are, THEN we might be closer than we think.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I'm still confused when it comes to the cap. As soon as I think I know what's going on, I read something that conflicts what I thought. Winston went on record saying he would take a $3-4M a year deal. I don't think we have it to be honest. Are you factoring the money we need to sign our rookies?
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...&city=da llas

Quote:
The Cowboys are a little more than $5 million under the salary cap. They will pick up an additional $2 million when the release of defensive end Marcus Spears takes effect on June 1.
They have room to maneuver, especially if they plan to cut Free that would free open up 14 mil post June 1st
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...&city=da llas

They have room to maneuver, especially if they plan to cut Free that would free open up 14 mil post June 1st

Thanks :) Was about to type the same thing. We have MORE than enough to sign one or two players and then cut Free after June 1st in order to sign the rookies.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:03 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Thanks :) Was about to type the same thing. We have MORE than enough to sign one or two players and then cut Free after June 1st in order to sign the rookies.
So basically if we don't sign any offensive lineman right now it's all our fault. Well, that's good to know that I can blame Jerry and not Doug Free if it happens. I don't know what our plans our, but it'll be a massive failure to not bring Clabo in here who graded out as a top 10 RT and he's a mauler which at this point fits right in.

Quote:
Old 04-30-2013, 04:15 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Hey D, why dont you come share some of that big money you make and take a few of us to this

https://livingsocial.com/events/citi...ip_roadblock=1

Old 04-30-2013, 04:18 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

RT Tyson Clabo: A stalwart for the Falcons, he got caught in a cap crunch. The Cowboys really like him and remain in contact with him and need to make this move. Get rid of Doug Free and his $7 million salary and give Clabo his $3.5 million-$4 million and call it an upgrade. I know Dallas is in a cap crunch, but after a questionable draft, upgrading some offensive line personnel now would be wise. And the Dolphins are now in on Clabo, too, hosting him for a visit starting Tuesday night.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...le-tyson-clabo

We better hurry up and get this done

Old 04-30-2013, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
So basically if we don't sign any offensive lineman right now it's all our fault. Well, that's good to know that I can blame Jerry and not Doug Free if it happens. I don't know what our plans our, but it'll be a massive failure to not bring Clabo in here who graded out as a top 10 RT and he's a mauler which at this point fits right in.
Absolutely. It'll be an absolute failure in my eyes as well if we don't land a veteran RT. Whom they regard as their #1 I don't mind as long as we follow through.

Quote:
Jason LaConfora from CBSSports says the Cowboys really like free agent right tackle Tyson Clabo:

RT Tyson Clabo: A stalwart for the Falcons, he got caught in a cap crunch. The Cowboys really like him and remain in contact with him and need to make this move. Get rid of Doug Free and his $7 million salary and give Clabo his $3.5 million-$4 million and call it an upgrade.
Comforting? He's also being courted by the Dolphins. I'll feel better once we have word that a right tackle is visiting Dallas. We typically don't let them leave once we have our eye on them and they come in the door.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:48 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Hey D, why dont you come share some of that big money you make and take a few of us to this

https://livingsocial.com/events/citi...ip_roadblock=1
That looks like a hell of a time. I LOVE GOLF!!!!

But $6000 for golf is too rich for my blood. haha. Lots of other stuff I'd rather do.

I would love to take you guys out for a round of golf if you ever came to Hawaii. We got some nice courses here!
Old 04-30-2013, 04:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Absolutely. It'll be an absolute failure in my eyes as well if we don't land a veteran RT. Whom they regard as their #1 I don't mind as long as we follow through.

Comforting? He's also being courted by the Dolphins. I'll feel better once we have word that a right tackle is visiting Dallas. We typically don't let them leave once we have our eye on them and they come in the door.
Whether Clabo or Winston... the Cowboys better get one of them. I already know Miami will.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:37 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

That actually is slightly comforting, all the tackles making visits is making me nervous though. Winston should be out the window though once we took Frederick, that is if we want our line to be in sync at all.

That said, Clabo visited Miami today. I don't know who they will sign but I don't like the speed we are moving at.

Quote:
Old 04-30-2013, 05:56 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

I still don't understand our offensive philosophy going forward.

I know I read on DallasCowboys.com (I think) about the similarities in our team offensively with the Patriots. I can certainly see how Escobar could be a poor man's Rob Gronkowski and Hanna could be a poor man's Aaron Hernandez. And we STILL have Jason Witten.

Obviously Williams helps fortify the receiving position when Bryant or Miles inevitably go down and if you get all 3 on the field (with Miles in the slot), you have something special.

The oddity I have here is Frederick, which leads me to believe we're leaning towards staying with a man blocking scheme even though we apparently flirted with a zone scheme by looking at Cooper, Pugh, and Travis Long. Obviously I could see us running a zone scheme with Frederick at center, but if he plays guard he's probably the heaviest footed guy we have on the roster and not sure how that would work.

My thought is running with multiple tight ends or 3 receivers and kind of "quickening" the offense lends itself more to transitioning to that zone system that our staff is probably better equipped to coach (though some players are a poor fit). If we're running zone - sign Winston. If we're running a man scheme - sign Clabo and Brandon Moore. I can't believe their salary demands could be that high still.

Or wait, and let the Dolphins make the decision for you. They're probably take one of them off the market which leaves the last one for Dallas.

Also would like to see some interest in Israel Idonije as a co-starter/backup to Spencer. A 2 year deal gives us a decent body for next season and allows Spencer to walk. Also allows us to slide Crawford inside to the 3-tech fulltime.

Finally, if we ARE transitioning to a 2 tight end or 3 wide-out based offense, probably time to cut ties with Vickers. He hasn't been good since Cleveland. And he provides no special team's value. I watched a repeat of a Cardinals/Packers playoff game recently and in a goalline situation they used Darnell Dockett and Gabe Watson as fullbacks. No reason to even keep a fullback on the roster at this point.

Thoughts?
Rev Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:07 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Bolyard View Post

The oddity I have here is Frederick, which leads me to believe we're leaning towards staying with a man blocking scheme even though we apparently flirted with a zone scheme by looking at Cooper, Pugh, and Travis Long. Obviously I could see us running a zone scheme with Frederick at center, but if he plays guard he's probably the heaviest footed guy we have on the roster and not sure how that would work.

My thought is running with multiple tight ends or 3 receivers and kind of "quickening" the offense lends itself more to transitioning to that zone system that our staff is probably better equipped to coach (though some players are a poor fit). If we're running zone - sign Winston. If we're running a man scheme - sign Clabo and Brandon Moore. I can't believe their salary demands could be that high still.

I'm with you all the way, but I'm almost certain we aren't running zone. You don't take Frederick that high if you are, and probably not at all. I know people think we are crazy, but our scouts aren't that dumb. I wanted the zone really bad because Tyron and Demarco are perfect for it, and if those are our only 2 building blocks why wouldn't we go after them?

We could have gotten Winston gift wrapped for us, schwenke would have been much better value, and we have a much better fit. But there is no way we would put Frederick in a zone scheme, at all. It is what it is, but since it is a power scheme, we have a chance to grab Clabo and Moore and if we can get both of them we could go from a below average line to a really good line. Clabo wasn't even supposed to be cut and he was considered a building block on that team while they wanted to get rid of Sam Baker, we are lucky we even have the chance to get him who is a perfect fit and replace the worst RT in football.

Quote:
Old 04-30-2013, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
I'm with you all the way, but I'm almost certain we aren't running zone. You don't take Frederick that high if you are, and probably not at all. I know people think we are crazy, but our scouts aren't that dumb. I wanted the zone really bad because Tyron and Demarco are perfect for it, and if those are our only 2 building blocks why wouldn't we go after them?

We could have gotten Winston gift wrapped for us, schwenke would have been much better value, and we have a much better fit. But there is no way we would put Frederick in a zone scheme, at all. It is what it is, but since it is a power scheme, we have a chance to grab Clabo and Moore and if we can get both of them we could go from a below average line to a really good line. Clabo wasn't even supposed to be cut and he was considered a building block on that team while they wanted to get rid of Sam Baker, we are lucky we even have the chance to get him who is a perfect fit and replace the worst RT in football.
Then signing Moore and Clabo makes a TON of sense as well as releasing Free and probably Bernardau(sp).

Smith/Livings/Frederick/Moore/Clabo with reserves of Parnell/Leary/Cook(or Kowalski)/Arkin/Parnell looks like an improvement with many runs to the ride side.
Rev Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:46 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Bolyard View Post
I still don't understand our offensive philosophy going forward.

I know I read on DallasCowboys.com (I think) about the similarities in our team offensively with the Patriots. I can certainly see how Escobar could be a poor man's Rob Gronkowski and Hanna could be a poor man's Aaron Hernandez. And we STILL have Jason Witten.

Obviously Williams helps fortify the receiving position when Bryant or Miles inevitably go down and if you get all 3 on the field (with Miles in the slot), you have something special.

Or wait, and let the Dolphins make the decision for you. They're probably take one of them off the market which leaves the last one for Dallas.

Also would like to see some interest in Israel Idonije as a co-starter/backup to Spencer. A 2 year deal gives us a decent body for next season and allows Spencer to walk. Also allows us to slide Crawford inside to the 3-tech fulltime.

Finally, if we ARE transitioning to a 2 tight end or 3 wide-out based offense, probably time to cut ties with Vickers. He hasn't been good since Cleveland. And he provides no special team's value. I watched a repeat of a Cardinals/Packers playoff game recently and in a goalline situation they used Darnell Dockett and Gabe Watson as fullbacks. No reason to even keep a fullback on the roster at this point.

Thoughts?
I still think that we will be moving to a ZBS. Frederick at C doesn't change that. Where your mobility really matters is at the Guard and Tackle positions. What we want out of our C is smarts, leverage and strength.

This is a great description of what is needed out of Zone OL. Alex Gibbs quote:

Quote:
TACKLES: Tall, length, maybe no basic strength, but he can run, and we're willing to let him add that power. 6'5 1/2" is usually the max we want.

GUARDS & CENTERS: height and length doesn't mean ****. Marginal height, but plays with great leverage. "LOW WAISTED" (long torso short legs), with leverage under our bodies. Healthier by not being heavy. RARE for them to play early. Nobody over 6'3". My center must be football brilliant.
Very intelligent on the inside. The "test score limit would SCARE YOU." We make calls from the inside out (centers call guards, guards tell tackles what to do, tackles tell tight ends what to do. Thus, there's a chain of decreasing responsibility)

No introverts for any position (communication. Low power-distance culture guys between each other and the coach).

All of them must have the ability to step laterally while keeping their shoulders square to the line of scrimmage (or risk allowing penetration).
Injury history is very important. don't want guys who miss games, because of the importance of continuity. 4 of the 5 usually get offseason surgery. NO EGO. INSIDE 3 must be brilliant. huge amount of time is spent on these guys making decisions. Guards must be able to decipher intricate details from the opponent's stance.

But, there is a minimum threshold of strength that a guy must have. Cannot have guys who get driven back.
Frederick lines up with that perfectly.

Smarts: Check

Long torso: Check

Low waisted: Check

Old 04-30-2013, 06:50 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Wouldn't we have announced it by now that we are running it? Why would it still be a big secret? Other then it making a ton of sense at one point, I don't know why it's still out there as something we may switch to when I haven't heard anyone say we are.

Quote: