Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 04-30-2013, 08:45 PM    (permalink
SF Dolphin Fan
Rookie

SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
1 RG Chance Warmack Alabama (A+) : The Titans got who many consider the best player in the draft and the BPA at that selection. He will start Day 1.
2 WR Justin Hunter Tennessee (A) :The Titans get an elite WR, who many had in the 1st round in the beginning of the 2nd. The Titans have question marks @ WR after this season (contracts expiring etc) so this looks like a perfect fit. (If you factor in the trade it gets knocked down to a B)
3 CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson (B+) : We need a big physical CB and sought to get one and we got one of the better ones in the draft, good but not great value.
3 LB Zaviar Gooden (B-): I think Gooden will be a good one. He's fast and with what we did with Zach Brown I think we can develop Gooden. LBer wasn't a major need, but we still need depth and if Gooden plays well he can see significant time on defense. The only reason its a B- is that I think Okafor would have been a better selection
4 C Brain Schwenke Cal (A): Love this selection. Going to compete for a starting job from day one, can provide depth at all 3 interior positions and give us flexibility to let Velasco walk
5 DE Lavar Edwards LSU (B+): I like the selection, he will add depth and play special teams. He gets a B+ because we waited this long for DE
6 CB Khalid Wooten Nevada (B) :Reportedly really like this guy and from what I've watched he looks like a nice project
7 SS Daimion Stafford Nebraska (A) Perfect safety for what we need and he was one of my favorite late round safety prospects.

OVERALL: B+ to A-
This was one of the best drafts IMO, up there with SF, Miami and the Rams. Warmack just flat out dominated vs. every opponent. Hunter has star potential. Lots of talent in this draft.
SF Dolphin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:57 PM    (permalink
SF Dolphin Fan
Rookie

SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Miami Dolphins B+/A-

1. Jordan DE/OLB A+ -- Absolutely love this pick and that Miami was aggressive in trading up.
2. Taylor CB A -- I thought he was a late first, early second rounder.
3. Thomas OG B -- Solid pick, but I would have taken Wheaton. He will be a LG.
3. Davis CB C -- Didn't really care for trade up here. Davis does have lots of talent though.
4. Jenkins LB C+ -- Might have gone Green instead, but fits the speed Miami is building on D.
4. Sims TE A -- Great value and a steal here.
5. Gillislee RB B+ -- Again nice value. Teams are stealing RB's these days.
5. Sturgis K C -- A talented kicker, but not a fan of drafting kickers.
7. Jones CB/S B -- Very intriguing talent at CB/Safety.
SF Dolphin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:05 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacitykats View Post
i understand the furture or long term view (to a certain point)but why not bring in another WR threat that can get vertical up the field? #89 is 34, and you have 5 WRs going into contract years. the logic is bad also considering the 2 positions are the 2 easiest to fill in my eyes withplug and play guys. we where set at both spots with offloading #52 and #34 contracts before the draft. very Marty Hurney 3rd day.
If you're suggesting that Beason & Williams should have been cut before the draft, then you don't understand the cap implications that would have had. Both would have cost more to cut than they cost to keep this year.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:26 PM    (permalink
Vaylor
Rookie

Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
I personally loved what the Patriots did with their draft, and It's probably my 2nd favorite since I started following the draft closely. I think a lot of the critics are misguided in the way they're evaluating the Pats draft. The core is young and intact at the moment, and the Pats really didn't have any glaring needs besides at WR. However, as a team that has been really close to the SB the last 2 seasons they need skill sets at certain positions where they're currently lacking.

Coming into the offseason the Pats needed:
1) A receiver that could run vertical routes and make plays down the field
2) A pure pass rush DE with good natural speed
3) A penetrating UT
4) A coverage LB
5) A CB who can play outside in the event of a Dowling and Talib injury so they don't play Kyle Arrington there ever again
6) A safety who specializes in deep coverage to complement what they already had in A. Wilson and T. Wilson.

Outside of a coverage LB and a penetrating UT (which they got earlier by signing Armon Armstead) they got exactly that. So while people like Mel Kiper might say that the Pats were losers because they didn't get any obvious starters from this year's draft, he pretty much misses the entire point. The Pats didn't get any big names out of the draft because they didn't really need to. Instead they got players who can make them better immediately even if they only play 25% of the time.

Boyce and Dobson are already better outside vertical threats than we had last season.

Collins is more dynamic when isolated 1 v. 1 on the outside than Justin Francis, and he can complement our run stuffing outside guys like Hightower and Ninkovich.

Ryan>Arrington

Harmon closes on the ball faster than Gregory.

Plus we got solid value in the 7th with guys like Buchanon and Beauharnais.

I'd give our draft a B+ with the only thing bringing it down is passing over Carradine and Bailey when they had the chance to pick them.
Huh? They had this in Devin McCourty.
Vaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:41 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rams

1) Tavon Austin - Tavon had my mancrush early on and it never wavered. Despite knocks about his obvious lack of prototypical size, I see the NFL game evolving and players like Austin becoming more the norm. His versatilty sets him apart, and leaves him outside the box without a true position. While some see this as a negative, I see it as a huge mismatch problem; defenses will have to try to decide who to use in coverage. Do they try covering him with a safety? He is faster and quicker than any safety in the league. A corner? Most of the top corners in the league are used to playing outside, so his comfort in the slot will translate to the defender playing a foreign role many times. I think the biggest challenge for Austin will actually be whether or not Brian Schottenheimer can be creative enough to utilize his abilities. While his size is a bit concerning from an injury standpoint, he was super durable throughout college.

1) Alec Ogletree - His tape is somewhat frustrating; he is an absolute beast in open space, yet timid in traffic, especially among the big uglies. I don't imagine that fear being allowed to fester for long on a Jeff Fisher defense. His athleticism is fantastic, he has an excellent burst, and he really knows how to pursue. Classic case of a raw project whose potential has yet to be tapped. His biggest concerns are off the field; he has made very poor decisions in the past, including stealing a motorcycle helmet (who does that?) and, most recently, getting a DUI just a few days before the combine. Fisher has been very successful at finding the good in troubled kids, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

3) TJ McDonald - I wasn't real big on this kid pre-draft, and this pick is easily the least popular in this draft among Rams fans. I believe a lot of people envision him as the next Taylor Mays. That being said, as soon as I saw the pick it made sense. Jeff Fisher played safety at USC. He also coached TJ's dad, Tim McDonald (who also played safety at USC) for a year when he played for the 49ers. The elder McDonald was an excellent player, going to multiple Pro Bowls and taking over leadership of the secondary in San Francisco in the post-Ronnie Lott era.
While TJ's year was not a great one, he still does a lot of things well and fits the mold of the tough guy in the secondary that Jeff Fisher covets. He is a hard hitter; channeling that ability into legal hits in today's NFL will be key. He isn't super fast, but covers a lot of ground and his coverage ability is better than you might think. Was he my ideal safety? No. I liked Cyprien and both Thomases more. But I don't dislike this pick as much as some of my fellow Rams fans.

3) Stedman Bailey - This is the one that I really didn't see coming. After taking Austin so high, I thought this pick might be a DT or a corner, and we might take a WR like Marquess Wilson or Chris Harper later on. In any case, this was a pleasant surprise. I really like Bailey. I think he is a very fluid receiver, smart; he runs clean routes and makes big plays when you need one. He doesn't have the afterburners like some guys, but he gets separation, knows how to get open, and is very good at getting 9 yards on 3rd and 8. And he has a great relationship with Austin, which will build strong morale withing this young reciving corps. I can see him playing early and pushing guys like Quick and Pettis to get their **** together.

4) Barrett Jones - This is my kind of tough, hard-nosed lunchpail carrying lineman. Nothing flashy, nothing super special about him, but he shows up every day and takes care of his business. I think he will make his way onto the starting lineup at RG on opening day and be that guy who, ten years from now, people say, "It seems like he has been there forever."

5) Brandon McGee - I admittedly knew nothing about this guy before the draft. He has decent size and great speed. According to reports I have read, he is a high-ceiling player that has yet to realize his talent. That's the kind of player I like to see my team taking in the 5th round.

5) Zac Stacy - Is he this year's Afred Morris? He definitely has the same size/speed/skillset. I didn't see Stacy play much in college. He is a tough runner between the tackles. To watch him run, you would think he is bigger. He gets the tough yards, but is not real quick and lacks a long gear. He is a great one cut runner though, and will fit our offense well. While I really wanted Leveon Bell or Marcus Lattimore, I am satisfied with Stacy coming in the 5th round.

Overall I am really pleased with this draft. We filled four big needs at WR,S,OLB and G. We also brought in depth at RB and CB. Since the new regime came in last year we have gotten younger, faster, more athletic and more talented through the draft. While the 49ers and Seahawks also have done very well this offseason, I think the Rams have done as much as either of those teams in regards to improving the overall talent level, and I think the NFC West will make a bold statement as the toughest division in the NFL this season. I see our first winning season since 2003.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:29 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaylor View Post
Huh? They had this in Devin McCourty.
The Pats play a lot of cover 2 shells. McCourty can only cover half the field. Plus if he gets hurt they have nobody else with range.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:31 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I started this thread, guess i'll add my draft grade...

18. Eric Reid, S
40. Tank Carradine, DE
55. Vance McDonald, TE
88: Corey Lemonier, OLB
128: Quinton Patton, WR
131: Marcus Lattimore, RB
157: Quinton Dial, NT/DE
180: Nick Moody, ILB/STer
237: BJ Daniels, QB/WR/KR/PR (all-around guy)
246: Carter Bykowski, OT
252: Marcus Cooper, CB

Also added the Titans 2014 3rd round pick in a draft day trade.

Summary: For now, i think it looks solid. We hit on our positions of need and got athletic players with high potential. Our coaching staff is one of the best in the league and is great at getting players to fill their potential- who would have thought Aldon Smith or Colin Kaepernick would be as good as they were 2 years ago. In all honesty i really like our first 6 picks. We did a good job of replacing players that left this offseason with higher potential and younger versions (Reid, McDonald, and Dial) while getting future replacements for Justin Smith and Gore (Tank, Lattimore). Patton was a solid pick too as we have 3 WR's up for FA next year.

I could be homering it up but i think our first 6 picks could play significant roles for our team going forward. And i trust our coaches to maximize their potential. Odds are that at least 1 of the 6 will bust but who knows. In 2011 our first 4 picks (all in the first 4 rounds) were direct hits and i think these 6 picks (also all in the first 4 rounds) will be hits too. So i'll give it a tentative grade of A. Now they just have to earn it on the field. No biggie, right? lol
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote