Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 05-01-2013, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Harper is a great player he was the back that came after Ian Johnson, and actually beat out Doug Martin multiple times. He's too good when healthy to not make an active roster no matter who's it is. Stoked his first crack is going to be with San Fran though!
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:14 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
He's too good when healthy to not make an active roster no matter who's it is.
I think your jumping the gun waaaaay too soon there. I like Harper alot also, but who is he going to unseat? James? Dixon? Hunter? He'll have to prove he can excel on STs before he can even sniff a roster spot. Everyone will probably jump to the conclusion that he'll take Dixon's spot because he has more long-term value. But Dixon is a stalwart on ST and he's a back-up at both RB and FB. That's why he's valuable. Now he is in the last year of his rookie deal I believe, so I could see that if he were not in our long-term plans to cut bait and get some young guys onto the roster who you expect will contribute down the line, but we don't know how Baalke and the coaching staff will view it. They may want to go with experience and versatility, over youth and upside. Harper, as much as I like him and his potential, is still very much a longshot for a roster spot.

And you also have to look at who's more likely to clear waivers also. Dixon has no pratice eligibility. Harper does. And as a UDFA at RB....a position that isn't really coveted after final cuts because every team usually has a abundance of RBs on their rosters and guys they already like in their own camp, it shouldn't really be a problem with him passing through waivers.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
I think your jumping the gun waaaaay too soon there. I like Harper alot also, but who is he going to unseat? James? Dixon? Hunter? He'll have to prove he can excel on STs before he can even sniff a roster spot. Everyone will probably jump to the conclusion that he'll take Dixon's spot because he has more long-term value. But Dixon is a stalwart on ST and he's a back-up at both RB and FB. That's why he's valuable. Now he is in the last year of his rookie deal I believe, so I could see that if he were not in our long-term plans to cut bait and get some young guys onto the roster who you expect will contribute down the line, but we don't know how Baalke and the coaching staff will view it. They may want to go with experience and versatility, over youth and upside. Harper, as much as I like him and his potential, is still very much a longshot for a roster spot.

And you also have to look at who's more likely to clear waivers also. Dixon has no pratice eligibility. Harper does. And as a UDFA at RB....a position that isn't really coveted after final cuts because every team usually has a abundance of RBs on their rosters and guys they already like in their own camp, it shouldn't really be a problem with him passing through waivers.
By who's roster I meant on some teams roster, not necessarily the Niners.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:01 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon (mainly ST's) and Miller on the 53. Harper or Hampton on the PS. Lattimore on PUP.

If Harper or Hampton were to really impress it wouldn't surprise me if we placed them on the 53. We did carry 6 backs last year (those 5 + Jacobs).

Its definitely one of our deeper positions IMO.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:17 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reading up on Marquadt, he seems like a guy primed to be stashed on the PUP as well. Having to sit out his entire senior season with a broken foot, than finding a different broken bone in that same foot at the Combine sounds like something the staff with take their time with and make sure he heals properly.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:32 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Reading up on Marquadt, he seems like a guy primed to be stashed on the PUP as well. Having to sit out his entire senior season with a broken foot, than finding a different broken bone in that same foot at the Combine sounds like something the staff with take their time with and make sure he heals properly.
We played against Azuza my Junior year. What I noticed about him in person was he had really good feet and his initial punch was outstanding. The areas he struggled in were second reaction situations like responding to a counter move which will come with experience since he is new to football. Definitely a guy that should be stashed away on the PS.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:56 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

I was looking at the Pics from the Niners "Football school" today and the first thing I noticed was A.J. Jenkins looks like he's put on some good weight this off-season which is good to see.

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/p...6-6c350dcfa69f
Old 05-02-2013, 01:09 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
I was looking at the Pics from the Niners "Football school" today and the first thing I noticed was A.J. Jenkins looks like he's put on some good weight this off-season which is good to see.

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/p...6-6c350dcfa69f
I was hoping to see it but if he gained any muscle it was very little. He still has the build of a sophomore in HS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:38 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jenkins doesn't really look that different to me. Whatever. As long as he starts doing something I really don't care.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:16 AM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/...e-7e280b1dde51

About Quentin Patton and his eagerness to join the 49ers.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:50 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Love the kid eager to work out already.
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:39 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Footage of McDonald and Patton starts around the 20:00 minute mark...

Old 05-03-2013, 05:49 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can you believe Cards' stud Daryl Washington has been suspended 4 games for substance abuse and has now been arrested for assault.

How is this so quiet?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:26 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Can you believe Cards' stud Daryl Washington has been suspended 4 games for substance abuse and has now been arrested for assault.

How is this so quiet?
It doesn't affect us directly very much - we play them week six.

Now, if Roger decides to add something to that for the arrest, it's likely he would miss our first game and that would really hurt them.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:34 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

How is this so quiet?
Because nobody (aka ESPN and NFLN) care about the AZ market. Or any market really that isn't Boston, New York or LA.

Don't worry though. Mark Sanchez's headband is getting all the coverage it deserves: https://twitter.com/SanchezHeadband

The Cards should be improved but they're the least of our worries in the NFC West this upcoming season, with Washington around or not.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:56 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:

How is this so quiet?
Blackmon stole his thunder lol.

So now that free agency is pretty much over and the draft has come and gone, what do you guys realistically feel about the 2013 49ers and our chances of getting back and ultimately winning the SB?

Personally, I love our talent defensively. Everyone says our secondary sucks which is fine, let them continue to be ignorant to the facts. I'm still concerned about the slot. I'm hoping they feel confident enough and Cully has improved his understanding of the position to where they feel he can man the slot. I think that would do wonders for the defense overall. Cully is big, fast, and quick...pretty much a CB in a safety's body. I think he would be perfect over the slot. He's extremely physical and I think he would give slot WRs problems getting off the line. He just lacks the experience but going on his third year in the scheme, I could see him taking a huge step. Other than Cully, I'm not too comfortable with anyone else on over the slot. Rogers best days are behind him in that role, though I still feel he's a above average CB on the outside. Brown I just can't see thriving in that role because he's not as physical as I think a good slot CB needs to be and he's at his best in off man. Namdi is strictly a outside CB at this point in his career and even there, he's a big question mark. I'm not sure he's better than Brown, who was our best CB last year. Cox could be a darkhorse but I'm not holding my breath. He's young and has good short-area quickness but again, its the experience factor that concerns me.

Whitner wasn't as consistent as he was in 2011 but he gets way too much flack as a liability, which he isn't. He didn't tackle as well last year which was a concern but hopefully he bounces back to form in 2013. I still say he's one of the better SS in the league. Even though FS is a big question mark, I'm not overly concerned because our safeties are in zone pretty much 90% of the time. We don't play alot of single-high or ask our safties to press so whether its Reid, Spillman, Robinson, even Dahl, I'm confident we'll get solid play from whoever is named the starter.

The front seven should be even more domiant. We should get way more out of Dorsey than we got out of Sopoaga, especially as a rotational guy inside, in the nickel. We can really get creative with Tank. He could play a little OLB, because he's so atheltic, DE in the nickel and some 3-Tech in a four man front also. He brings a lot of new wrinkles with Fangio to play with. Haralson being back, along with the addition of Lemioner should give us excellent depth on the outside when last year it was just Aldon and Brooks. I think Fleming could turn some heads as well. Even though Haralson took a paycut, if Fleming shows enough promise and flashes consistently, he'll make it hard not to keep him around. Dial could be a wildcard. He's raw but just looking at his frame and upside alone, he could provide great depth as a NT in the nickel or as a traditonal 5-Tech in the base front. Love the versatility he has added to compete with the young guys already on the roster like Dobbs, Tukakafu, and TJE.

Don't really need to discuss the ILBs. We have two of the best in the business. Really like Skuta and Moody could really suprise down the road. Wilhoite will probably be headed back to the PS, especially if we keep 5 OLBs and only 3 ILBs, which I could defintely see happening. I could also see Fleming getting some looks at ILB and being a guy who could possibly play all 4 LB positions. If remember correctly, he did just that in college.

Point is, we have tremedous depth and competition on defense. Whoever emerges from the frey will have defintely earned their spot on the 53. My other concern defensively is Fangio. I hope he isn't as stubborn this year with his personnel and will match-up better when teams try to spread us out...which will happen as long as we continue to be a Top 5 defense versus the run.

Offensively, my only real concern is we will need somebody to step up at WR. I don't like Crabs and Boldin as a duo and I still have mixed feelings about the trade with the Ravens. Their both too similar as WRs and easy to defend as a duo. Neither is going to blow past any DB, so guys are just going squat on everything and focus all their attention on VD. I like Patton as a WR but he isn't really a deep threat. He's more of a complimentary peice as a WR. We really need Jenkins, K-10, and Lockette to step up and be a presence on the outside, intermediate-deep, for this offense. I'm confident Jenkins will have more of a impact going foward. But as a deep threat, he may develop more slowly. I'm hopeful K-10 can return to the form, before his ACL injury. He was quietly having a solid year last season, before the injury. Lockette is the wildcard. Big and fast, if he can put it all together he could be a nice downfield target for CK. But we need those 3 guys to step up on the outside so Boldin and Crabtree can work the middle of the field and do damage from the slot. I think that's a very important key for this offense to improve its passing efficiency and free up safeties from focusing on just the middle of the field.

Not worried about the RBs, we have some of the best talent in the league at the position. Not worried about O-Line, as we are the envy of the rest of the league, nor am concerned about the swing tackle. Boone is the swing tackle. Anything happens to Davis or Staley, they'll move Boone outside and either Kilgore or Looney will step up on along the interior. And if Bykowski steps into the role, great. But I'm not worried either way. Not worried about the TEs, as I love McDonald's fit with the offense. And Celek should show improvement as the 3rd TE.

Miller is the best young FB in the league. I think Dixon might struggle to hold onto a roster spot, depending on how many guys impress on defense. Not too worried about CK. He works too hard for me to beleive he won't be better. Hopefully he and JH are working hard to correct some of the holes in his game during OTAs and mini-camp and he takes that next step in his development

So all in all, my main concerns are defending the slot defensively and who will step up outside at WR. But I think we should be right in the thick of things for come playoff time. I always have a pessimistic view of things so looking at our schedule, I can see us 10-6, earning a wildcard berth in the playoffs. But if those two areas are addressed and guys step up and make those areas strengths, I could easily see us vying for a #1 seed.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 05-03-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:16 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

VAfy-ya,

I mostly agree with your assessment. Here's my take:

Defense:

DL: Smith, McDonald, Dorsey, Carradine

-Excellent, I agree that this year should be an upgrade over last year's squad. The additions of Dorsey and Carradine add explosiveness and athleticism to our nickel and dime packages and should allow some more rest for Smith and McDonald. Grade A-

LB's: Willis, Bowman, Smith, Brooks, Haralyson, Lemonier, Moody, Skuta

- Absolutely world class, I've never seen a better LB core in my life! Grade A++

Safeties: Whitner, Reid, Spillman, Dahl

- A little concerning in regards to coverage ability but looks very promising for run support. Overall, fairly average here. Grade C+

Cornerbacks: Rodgers, Brown, Culliver, Asomugha, Brock, Cox

- Very average. I think Rodgers and Brown can play the slot but I do not think Culliver is agile enough to cover slot receivers. I wouldn't rate any of our corners as above average. I think our top corners would be ranked somewhere between #25-#40. You may be able to make a case that Brown is a top 20 corner but I don't think anybody could convince me that we have a top 15 corner on the team. I was really hoping for a top corner in the draft but that didn't work out. Corner is really our most vulnerable position and there will be a lot of nail biting next year. Hopefully our pass rush can improve and help out our corners but eventually we need to get a stud CB and I don't believe Culliver is that guy. Grade C

Offense:

OL: Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis

-Best in the league! Grade A

TE: Davis, McDonald, Celek

- Very good and well balanced. Grade B+

WR: Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Patton, Jenkins, Williams

- Very good but lacking when it comes to explosiveness. I'm very worried about Jenkins being able to stretch the field and everybody else on this roster is pretty average speed wise. Grade B

RB/FB: Gore, Hunter, James, Lattimore, Miller, Dixon

- Superb, no complaints here. Grade B+

QB: Kaepernick, McCoy

-Absolutely love Kap, who doesn't? Very exciting to see such a young QB play so well. We are very lucky. Grade A

Overall: Safety and Cornerback are by far the biggest concerns and hopefully an improved pass rush will help cover up some of our mediocrity there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.

Last edited by Shupp : 05-03-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:21 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya
So now that free agency is pretty much over and the draft has come and gone, what do you guys realistically feel about the 2013 49ers and our chances of getting back and ultimately winning the SB?
Realistically, its mainly about Kaepernick. If he plays as good or better than he did in the ten games he started this past season, then I think that we're the favorites in the NFC to get back to the Super Bowl and win it. After Kaepernick, its about our defense being dominant like they were in 2011 and getting turnovers. They have to get turnovers.

Quote:
Personally, I love our talent defensively. Everyone says our secondary sucks which is fine, let them continue to be ignorant to the facts. I'm still concerned about the slot. I'm hoping they feel confident enough and Cully has improved his understanding of the position to where they feel he can man the slot. I think that would do wonders for the defense overall. Cully is big, fast, and quick...pretty much a CB in a safety's body. I think he would be perfect over the slot. He's extremely physical and I think he would give slot WRs problems getting off the line. He just lacks the experience but going on his third year in the scheme, I could see him taking a huge step. Other than Cully, I'm not too comfortable with anyone else on over the slot. Rogers best days are behind him in that role, though I still feel he's a above average CB on the outside. Brown I just can't see thriving in that role because he's not as physical as I think a good slot CB needs to be and he's at his best in off man. Namdi is strictly a outside CB at this point in his career and even there, he's a big question mark. I'm not sure he's better than Brown, who was our best CB last year. Cox could be a darkhorse but I'm not holding my breath. He's young and has good short-area quickness but again, its the experience factor that concerns me.
I dont think that our secondary sucks but they were all exposed due to the injuries to Justin and Aldon. Culliver could become our best corner but at the same time, I wouldnt be surprised if he gets traded before the season. He seems to be mouthing off every time we turn around and I think that its just a matter of time until Baalke and Harbaugh have enough and move on from him. With that being said, I hope that doesnt happen. I do believe that if he shuts the hell up and plays, he can become our number one cornerback. I see Brown having the best season of them all since he's in a contract year. Granted, there's no guarantee but I wouldnt be surprised if he does have a great season going into free agency. Rogers will exclusively be the slot guy this year because I see Asomugha beating him for the starting corner spot opposite Brown which makes a lot of sense since he's mainly just an outside corner. Asomugha wont be great but he'll make people forget about the last two seasons in Philly which quite honestly, should be easy to do. I like Cox, Brock as backup depth and on special teams. Can also see our rookie CB Marcus Cooper making the roster if he impresses in TC and pre-season.

Quote:
Whitner wasn't as consistent as he was in 2011 but he gets way too much flack as a liability, which he isn't. He didn't tackle as well last year which was a concern but hopefully he bounces back to form in 2013. I still say he's one of the better SS in the league. Even though FS is a big question mark, I'm not overly concerned because our safeties are in zone pretty much 90% of the time. We don't play alot of single-high or ask our safties to press so whether its Reid, Spillman, Robinson, even Dahl, I'm confident we'll get solid play from whoever is named the starter.
I like Whitner but he didnt play as well last season as he did in 2011. Maybe, its just me but it seems like the majority of our defense didnt play as well as they did in 2011. Anyway, hopefully Whitner can bounce back to his 2011 form which like Tarell Brown, there's a good chance because after all, he's in a contract year and guys do have a tendency to play better in their contract year. I hate that zone crap. I prefer the corners playing man and the safeties playing deep in coverage especially against a top tier WR so prevent like what happened in the NFCCG and the SB. Dont like blitzing that much because we have an excellent front seven. Hopefully, the front seven will be fully healthy and good to go. FS wise, obviously im concerned about replacing Goldson but like everyone else here, im hoping that Reid wins the starting job which I think he will. Granted, having a rookie back there may hurt at times but as the season progresses, so will he and he'll get the experience that he needs anyway.

Quote:
The front seven should be even more domiant. We should get way more out of Dorsey than we got out of Sopoaga, especially as a rotational guy inside, in the nickel. We can really get creative with Tank. He could play a little OLB, because he's so atheltic, DE in the nickel and some 3-Tech in a four man front also. He brings a lot of new wrinkles with Fangio to play with. Haralson being back, along with the addition of Lemioner should give us excellent depth on the outside when last year it was just Aldon and Brooks. I think Fleming could turn some heads as well. Even though Haralson took a paycut, if Fleming shows enough promise and flashes consistently, he'll make it hard not to keep him around. Dial could be a wildcard. He's raw but just looking at his frame and upside alone, he could provide great depth as a NT in the nickel or as a traditonal 5-Tech in the base front. Love the versatility he has added to compete with the young guys already on the roster like Dobbs, Tukakafu, and TJE.
Agree 100%. The main thing is if everyone is healthy going into the season which includes Tank, Justin and Aldon. If everyone is healthy and we rotate guys, they should all be fresh and not wear down late in the season. Love the additions of Lemonier and Carradine. Dial could be a good surprise for us. Definitely, a lot more depth than last year and that in itself should help out our defense.

Quote:
Don't really need to discuss the ILBs. We have two of the best in the business. Really like Skuta and Moody could really suprise down the road. Wilhoite will probably be headed back to the PS, especially if we keep 5 OLBs and only 3 ILBs, which I could defintely see happening. I could also see Fleming getting some looks at ILB and being a guy who could possibly play all 4 LB positions. If remember correctly, he did just that in college.
Skuta should definitely make the team as the special teams replacement for Costanzo. OLB wise, Aldon, Brooks, Lemonier and Haralson will probably make the team. Inside, Willis, Bowman, Skuta and I think Moody will make the team. Wouldnt be surprised if Fleming and Johnson dont make the final roster. Either way, we're stacked.

Quote:
Point is, we have tremedous depth and competition on defense. Whoever emerges from the frey will have defintely earned their spot on the 53. My other concern defensively is Fangio. I hope he isn't as stubborn this year with his personnel and will match-up better when teams try to spread us out...which will happen as long as we continue to be a Top 5 defense versus the run.
My main concern overall is with the play-calling. I think they get too full of themselves sometimes and it bites them in the ass. Team should have an excellent front seven with an excellent rotation and shouldnt have to blitz often. Excellent depth pretty much everywhere and if Reid can win the starting FS spot and be at least half as good as Goldson was, he'll easily be better than whoever else would be back there and should get better as he progresses.

Quote:
Offensively, my only real concern is we will need somebody to step up at WR. I don't like Crabs and Boldin as a duo and I still have mixed feelings about the trade with the Ravens. Their both too similar as WRs and easy to defend as a duo. Neither is going to blow past any DB, so guys are just going squat on everything and focus all their attention on VD. I like Patton as a WR but he isn't really a deep threat. He's more of a complimentary peice as a WR. We really need Jenkins, K-10, and Lockette to step up and be a presence on the outside, intermediate-deep, for this offense. I'm confident Jenkins will have more of a impact going foward. But as a deep threat, he may develop more slowly. I'm hopeful K-10 can return to the form, before his ACL injury. He was quietly having a solid year last season, before the injury. Lockette is the wildcard. Big and fast, if he can put it all together he could be a nice downfield target for CK. But we need those 3 guys to step up on the outside so Boldin and Crabtree can work the middle of the field and do damage from the slot. I think that's a very important key for this offense to improve its passing efficiency and free up safeties from focusing on just the middle of the field.
Crabtree and Davis should copy last season. Excited to see what stats Crabtree puts up with a full season playing with Kaepernick. Both Crabtree and Boldin are clutch so I think thats why we traded for Boldin. Would have preferred an established deep threat at WR opposite Crabtree but for a 6th round draft pick, im not going to complain about Boldin. Hopefully, Williams can emerge from the slot if he's 100% healthy. If not, I see Patton making the most impact after Crabtree and Boldin. Jenkins is 50/50. Cant judge him fully yet.

Quote:
Not worried about the RBs, we have some of the best talent in the league at the position. Not worried about O-Line, as we are the envy of the rest of the league, nor am concerned about the swing tackle. Boone is the swing tackle. Anything happens to Davis or Staley, they'll move Boone outside and either Kilgore or Looney will step up on along the interior. And if Bykowski steps into the role, great. But I'm not worried either way. Not worried about the TEs, as I love McDonald's fit with the offense. And Celek should show improvement as the 3rd TE.
Agree and im excited to see how McDonald does replacing Walker.

Quote:
Miller is the best young FB in the league. I think Dixon might struggle to hold onto a roster spot, depending on how many guys impress on defense. Not too worried about CK. He works too hard for me to beleive he won't be better. Hopefully he and JH are working hard to correct some of the holes in his game during OTAs and mini-camp and he takes that next step in his development
Agree again. I think Kaepernick will improve and I just hope that Roman doesnt call stupid idiotic moronic plays like he did in Saint Louis. UGH. As long as that doesnt happen, our offense should be a 30+ ppg offense.

Quote:
So all in all, my main concerns are defending the slot defensively and who will step up outside at WR. But I think we should be right in the thick of things for come playoff time. I always have a pessimistic view of things so looking at our schedule, I can see us 10-6, earning a wildcard berth in the playoffs. But if those two areas are addressed and guys step up and make those areas strengths, I could easily see us vying for a #1 seed.
While I dont like him, Rogers is best suited for the slot. Of course, I think its mainly about our front seven and if they get pressure to the QB. Also, the defense MUST cause turnovers. Amazing how our offense was better once Kaepernick started compared to 2011 but our defense regressed compared to 2011 but at the same time, Justin and Aldon werent 100%. With them being 100% and the depth that we added via the draft, I fully expect them to be closer to 2011 than 2012.

WR wise, we have Davis and Crabtree plus Boldin will be an upgrade over Moss so im not worried. Slot could be a concern but we have Davis and McDonald who should get a lot of mismatches and one on one coverage.

Schedule wise, anywhere between 10-6 and 14-2. I'm leaning towards 14-2 or possibly 12-4. Team should be better record and stat wise than 2012. Should be closer to 2011 than 2012.

Barring injuries of course.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:27 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I truly feel that the ultimate success of the 49ers in 2013 comes down to how consistent Colin Kaepernick can be.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:18 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I truly feel that the ultimate success of the 49ers in 2013 comes down to how consistent Colin Kaepernick can be.
I think our entire team top to bottom is one of the stronger in the league, both starting and depth wise. Its hard to think of a single huge weakness- we're not perfect of course, but i think we're the best roster in the NFL. Or maybe top 3 at worst.

I agree with your post that its all on Kaep now. What makes me feel better about him is 1- how he took the league by storm almost immediately, 2- his insane work ethic and drive, and 3- Harbaugh coaching him up.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:02 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Shupp, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the CBs. Before the Pats game, Cully and Brown were both ranked inside the top 15. Rogers just outside the top 20. They were lights out for most of the year. The last few games as well as the post-season is where they struggled and when they're coverage rating took a nose dive. That being said, its a 'what have you done for me lately' kind of game. So people will only remember the plays they gave up towards the end of the year and I understand that. But I don't think our CBs are 'very average'. I think they're above average, across the board. Not great but above the norm. I don't believe you end the year with the statistics against the pass that we had with very average CBs. We were middle of the pack as far as sacks go so its wasn't just the pass-rush that made them look good. Those guys can play.

And Cully totally has the agility to compete in the slot. He had outstanding agility numbers when he tested at the Combine in 2011. I think he was in the top 5 for all DBs that year in the 3-Cone and short shuttle. Just from watching him, you can see he isn't stiff and is very fluid. I think he could handle the slot just fine. They kept him outside initially, because that was the best way to get him on the field and ease him into fold. He had little experience playing CB and keeping him outside was the best way to expose him to the position at the pro level. But I think he's a guy I think they evetually want to use like Rogers, which as a guy who can line up anywhere at CB.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 05-04-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:00 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Like most teams it's going to come down to how well the quarterback plays. Hopefully last season wasn't a facade.

Quote:
Old 05-04-2013, 11:08 AM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Green Bay
@ Seattle
Indianapolis
@ St. Louis
Houston
Arizona
@ Tennessee
@ Jacksonville (London)
Carolina
@ New Orleans
@ Washington
St. Louis
Seattle
@ Tampa Bay
Atlanta
@ Arizona

I think we split with Seattle and St. Louis - lose at their place. I was conservative in my estimation when it came to New Orleans and Atlanta - I certainly think we can win those games.

So I have us at 12-4, plus or minus a game.

As far as the makeup of our team:

I'm not all that concerned, if you couldn't tell by the 12-4 prediction. Maybe i'm over simplifying things here, but, if you told me heading into every game that we would have the best offensive line and the best front 7, i'll take that 10 times out of 10. The best part is, it's not going to be a debate on those topics, in my opinion. As Va said, we are the envy of the league with out offensive line. And this is with not knowing a whole hell of a lot about Looney or Kilgore. Assuming they progress even half as well as Boone did, we're disgustingly rich along the unit.

The front seven is similar to the offensive line in my eyes. I don't see anybody close to what we can do with a light box.

The secondary does not concern me at all. If teams are forced to run their offense through their slot receiver I feel we are already at an advantage. I see Reid stepping in right away and playing very well. I think the new blood with Parys coming back really gives our nickel sets a boost.

And now to Colin. Not. Worried. At. All. Why? Roman and Harbaugh. His targets, while not diverse, are big bodied physical targets. He has a stable of running backs and the best offensive line in football. He would have to become a turnover machine in order to hold back this offense - which I don't think he would ever be put in that kind of position.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

One thing I've changed my tune with in the last couple of years was what I wanted as a fan in terms of an offense. Before I really wanted something that was pass oriented and focused a lot on the pass with a megastar quarterback like Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers. Just because it seemed like that was all you needed on offense along with an adequate line for protection. But now that we have someone that could potentially be "the guy" at QB, that isn't what I want at all. I'm glad that these last two seasons we have really grinded down the notion that the offense, sink or swim, is going to ride and die with the run game. It's almost like our passing offense is a luxury and compliment to what we really want to do. It's not to say that it would be the same if Alex Smith was there though, since having Colin gives us a passing threat and we can attack a defense with confidence if we decide or have to pass the ball a lot. But we've been stockpiling runningbacks like crazy. Also, I think it will take a load off of Kaepernick in terms of having to do everything to get us to scoring points. Plus the exposure and risk of injury diminishes. I think we've been the most balanced offense in the league the last two years in terms of run/pass ratio.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though it looks like we have a franchise quarterback again, we're not just putting everything in his hands and playing it cheap with our run game. I think teams like Green Bay, San Diego, New Orleans, and New England have relied way too much on their quarterback in recent years to just take charge.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 05-04-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:38 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Some of our guys made PFF top 101 Players of 2012.

Quote:
87. Justin Smith, DE, San Francisco 49ers (2nd)

As good as Justin Smith has been, he couldn’t reproduce his brilliance in 2011 this season. Injury certainly impacted him, but it was evident that he wasn’t anywhere near the productive pass rusher he was a year ago. Still, you need to play really well to make this list and the impact of Smith in the run game was still something to behold, even with him drawing increased attention.

Best Performance: Week 11 versus Chicago, +6.3

Key Stat: Finished second in our 3-4 defensive end Run Stop Percentage Signature Stat with a defensive stop on 11.8% of his running plays.
Quote:
81. Colin Kaepernick, QB, San Francisco 49ers (Unranked)

It’s not often you see a sophomore quarterback come in during the middle of a season and replace a quarterback who is not only winning, but playing well. But Kaepernick did, as he electrified the masses when he stepped it in for a concussed Alex Smith and made it impossible for the team to go back. The only reason he didn’t feature more highly is because of a lack of playing time, with the athletic quarterback proving extremely effective and handling the pressures of the postseason like a tried and tested veteran. Only injury can prevent him finishing higher next year.

Best Performance: Week 17 versus Arizona, +5.9
Quote:
80. Anthony Davis, RT, San Francisco 49ers (Unranked)

If we’re completely honest, we didn’t see this coming from Davis. He had some big problems his first two years in the league, but it all came together for him in Year 3 as he played his part in the 49ers’ dominant offensive line. There are the occasional meltdowns (such as against the Giants), but for the most part you rarely noticed Davis in the passing game, and couldn’t help but be impressed by his punishing blocks in the run game.

Best Performance: Week 17 versus Arizona, +5.8

Key Stat: Graded negatively in just three of 19 games all season long.
Quote:
75. Tarrell Brown, CB, San Francisco 49ers (Unranked)

Much has been made of the performance of the 49ers’ cornerbacks as they struggled in the playoffs, but bemoaning the defensive backs doesn’t do justice to the year Brown had. Three picks were never going to grab the attention of the masses, but here’s a player who was targeted a massive 113 times and yet gave up only 69 receptions and just one touchdown. The former fifth-round pick really came good this year.

Best Performance: Week 8 at Arizona, +5.1

Key Stat: The 17 combined interceptions and pass deflections were seventh most of all defensive backs.
Quote:
71. Frank Gore, RB, San Francisco 49ers (Unranked)

The 49ers bell cow was expected to see his role diminished as San Francisco brought in a powerful veteran (Brandon Jacobs) and explosive rookie (LaMichael James). It didn’t. Instead, Gore walked away with a healthy 1,214 yards at 4.7 per carry, responding exceptionally well to the blocking ahead of him. What’s more, he saved his best football for the postseason where his three games saw him return with a +7.3 grade. Nice work all round.

Best Performance: Divisional Playoff versus Green Bay, +3.9

Key Stat: His 16 runs over 15 yards were sixth-most in the league.
Quote:
59. NaVorro Bowman, LB, San Francisco 49ers (14th)

While there are those who want to crown Bowman the best linebacker in football, he’s not even the best on his own team quite yet. Nonetheless, he’s still a pretty special player and if you weren’t buying into that you need only have watched him get back to his best in the playoffs. A fine every-down defender, Bowman has already proved well worth his big extension.

Best Performance: Conference Championship at Atlanta, +4.6

Key Stat: Allowed 0.59 yards per snap in coverage, lowest of all inside linebackers.
Quote:
57. Aldon Smith, OLB, San Francisco 49ers (64th)

Some will think Smith should be higher based on his sack numbers alone. However, for that to be the case there needed to be some quicker developing pressure. That doesn’t mean Smith didn’t have a great year, just that there’s room for him to do more. Coped reasonably well with an expanded role.

Best Performance: Week 11 versus Chicago, +9.8

Key Stat: His 70 quarterback disruptions were the most of any 3-4 outside linebacker.
Quote:
53. Mike Iupati, LG, San Francisco 49ers (Unranked)

Would likely have finished higher but for being hampered by an injury he picked up during the playoffs. Never to be confused with the best pass protecting guards, Iupati is an agile linemen who can manhandle you head on or wipe you out as he pulls to the second level. A punishing blocker.

Best Performance: Divisional Playoff versus Green Bay, +4.6

Key Stat: Earned a positive run blocking grade in 14 of his 16 regular season appearances.
Quote:
50. Alex Boone, RG, San Francisco 49ers (Unranked)

Boone just about takes the honors in the battle between the 49ers guards, thanks in large part to a stronger finish to the year. An impactful run blocker, Boone did give up some pressure, but when you are as consistent in the run game as he is you can live with it.

Best Performance: Week 11 versus Chicago, +4.4

Key Stat: Had the highest run blocking rating of any right guard.
Quote:
39. Vernon Davis, TE, San Francisco 49ers (Unranked)

It was something of an up-and-down year for Davis in 2012. He started off the year playing as well as anyone, even if he wasn’t seeing the targets he would perhaps expect. Then he became something of an afterthought in the offense, and it was only really a fantastic slate of postseason play that propelled him up the rankings. A player you feel would benefit even more if he was a more profiled part of the offense.

Best Performance: Conference Championship at Atlanta, +5.5

Key Stat: Averaged 1.3 Yards Per Route Run during the regular season, and 2.9 during the postseason.
Quote:
37. Michael Crabtree, WR, San Francisco 49ers (Unranked)

Before the season Crabtree was looking like something of a disappointment relative to what he cost the 49ers. It turns out that was less about him, and more about his quarterback, with Crabtree taking his game to another level when Colin Kaepernick came into the lineup. Cutting back on the drops, Crabtree continued to look like one of the most impressive after-the-catch receivers in the league, forcing 19 missed tackles (including the postseason) while also adding 12 touchdowns.

Best Performance: Week 17 versus Arizona, +4.1

Key Stat: His 2.66 Yards Per Route Run (including playoffs) were the fourth-most of any receiver.
Quote:
16. Joe Staley, LT, San Francisco 49ers (Unranked)

Staley is a little bit different compared to all the left tackles that have come before him. He’s not quite the pass protector of some, but his impact in the running game is so much greater that he cruised to our highest overall grade of any tackle in 2012. A real nasty streak in the run game isn’t something that often stands out about left tackles, but Staley has it and then some.

Best Performance: Week 2 versus Detroit, +5.5

Key Stat: Run blocking grade was 10.9 points better than any other tackle.
Quote:
10. Patrick Willis, LB, San Francisco 49ers (20th)

The gap between where Willis was taken and when the last inside linebacker went should give you a pretty clear indication as to how much better he was than the rest. Still the benchmark at his position, he’s a true do-it-all type of defender who can handle any role the 49ers ask of him. Exceptional against the run, and with the physical talent to make the kind of plays in coverage you don’t expect from a linebacker.

Best Performance: Week 11 versus Chicago, +5.3

Key Stat: Missed just four tackles all year.

Quote: