Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 05-01-2013, 07:32 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rainer Sabin ‏@RainerSabinDMN 2m
Jerry Jones on Doug Free:"Certainly we.. have a way here that Doug can flourish and it has to do with [Jermey] Parnell being here."

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:38 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Rainer Sabin ‏@RainerSabinDMN 2m
Jerry Jones on Doug Free:"Certainly we.. have a way here that Doug can flourish and it has to do with [Jermey] Parnell being here."
Turth is it has more to do with Jason Garrett and Bill Callahan not wanting to give up on Free. The secondary reason is becaue Jerry might not want to pay Free to NOT be here. But I don't think that is a huge issue for him. When Romo/Garrett wanted TO gone, Jerry was happy to write the check.

I am pissed that we're not making a move on Clabo or Winston.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:40 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Turth is it has more to do with Jason Garrett and Bill Callahan not wanting to give up on Free. The secondary reason is becaue Jerry might not want to pay Free to NOT be here. But I don't think that is a huge issue for him. When Romo/Garrett wanted TO gone, Jerry was happy to write the check.

I am pissed that we're not making a move on Clabo or Winston.
Exactly

Rainer Sabin ‏@RainerSabinDMN 3m
Rotation at right tackle to continue? Jerry Jones: "We think that [Jermey] Parnell and [Doug] Free...put us in great shape at our tackles."

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 05-01-2013, 07:46 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Exactly

Rainer Sabin ‏@RainerSabinDMN 3m
Rotation at right tackle to continue? Jerry Jones: "We think that [Jermey] Parnell and [Doug] Free...put us in great shape at our tackles."
I can understand their hold for promise in Parnell. He never gave me anything to wince at last year. But we won't know until we know... ya know? The jury is still out on him.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:57 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I can understand their hold for promise in Parnell. He never gave me anything to wince at last year. But we won't know until we know... ya know? The jury is still out on him.
Yeah my distain isnt for Parnell (yet) but Free sucks is overpaid and needs to go

Old 05-01-2013, 08:05 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even though we have the cap room to bring on a guy like Clabo I wonder if future cap implications are causing us to be overly cautious. Just because we cleared all that room this year...doesn't put us in a much better spot next year. If you can get Free to reduce his salary which should be an easy sell since he's not going to get anywhere near that on the open market. You go into training camp and let the competition determine who our starting RT is. I'm just as disappointed as the rest of the fans...I want to see an upgrade at RT...but if it's a multi year deal I just wonder if we aren't trying to add a FA. Doubt Winston or Clabo are going to settle for a 1 year deal to prove themselves as they are already proven. just a thought

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:45 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh my....If we go into next year trying to play Free at RT, I'm seriously going to be PISSED. It isn't a lot that really gets to me about the team in a bad way but our obsession to trot out finished products way too long to get abused(Jacque Reeves, Alan Ball, Roy Williams either one, now Free) puts me over the edge. If we don't want to win games we just need to rebuild and stop aiming for 8-8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Oh my....If we go into next year trying to play Free at RT, I'm seriously going to be PISSED. It isn't a lot that really gets to me about the team in a bad way but our obsession to trot out finished products way too long to get abused(Jacque Reeves, Alan Ball, Roy Williams either one, now Free) puts me over the edge. If we don't want to win games we just need to rebuild and stop aiming for 8-8.
I agree with your point about holding onto players too long and the examples you gave, and I feel we need to upgrade the RT spot but I when I look at last season I don't think that was the main reason for the 8-8 record.

This team couldn't overcome the series of unfortunate injuries to key players on both sides of the ball.

I know it's a part of the game but Lee, Church, Murray, Carter, Ratliff, Austin, Bryant, and Ware playin with one arm toward the end.

I think we tend to overlook that and what was an 8-8 season could've realistically been 10-6...or perhaps I'm just optimistic.

But if Bryant comes down on his #$% rather than on his finger we're 9-7 right there.

Last edited by Jas : 05-01-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
I agree with your point about holding onto players too long and the examples you gave, and I feel we need to upgrade the RT spot but I when I look at last season I don't think that was the main reason for the 8-8 record.

This team couldn't overcome the series of unfortunate injuries to key players on both sides of the ball.

I know it's a part of the game but Lee, Church, Murray, Carter, Ratliff, Austin, Bryant, and Ware playin with one arm toward the end.

I think we tend to overlook that and what was an 8-8 season could've realistically been 10-6...or perhaps I'm just optimistic.

But if Bryant comes down on his #$% rather than on his finger we're 9-7 right there.
I share that optimism if we are healthy.. blah blah blah... we could go far... I agree. I wouldn't blame it all on Free. That entire line was crap and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't start on the outside, it starts up the middle.

The fact that we shored up our middle with Frederick has me looking up again.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:37 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I share that optimism if we are healthy.. blah blah blah... we could go far... I agree. I wouldn't blame it all on Free. That entire line was crap and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't start on the outside, it starts up the middle.

The fact that we shored up our middle with Frederick has me looking up again.
The main concern for me, even more than OL and the unsettled S position, is Garrett's abilities as a HC. His game management and play calling are subpar at times. I really thought he was going to be fired, it's nothing personal, I want him to succeed, but I don't know, he seems lost at times.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:25 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
GM tends to look for views to help him make his decision. Floyd should have never been at that spot if not willing to take him
This is what I was asking. Why have him #7 on your board if your not willing to take him. Dumb IMO

Old 05-02-2013, 02:48 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This is what I was asking. Why have him #7 on your board if your not willing to take him. Dumb IMO
#31 and #74 > Floyd

I'm still confused at why so many people are mad. In a terrible draft class the #7 overall prospect isn't a blue chipper. And in a class where there is good depth... 2 starters > 1 starter.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:02 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
#31 and #74 > Floyd

I'm still confused at why so many people are mad. In a terrible draft class the #7 overall prospect isn't a blue chipper. And in a class where there is good depth... 2 starters > 1 starter.
But what your saying is 31 and 74> than 18 which just isnt true. When you trade down from 18 you have no idea on who will be avalible at 31 and in fact the guys they were targeting at 31 were all gone. They reached for Fredrick when Pugh/Long/Williams/Patterson were taken ahead of them. It was a BAD trade value wise and IMO, and according to the people that follow the team for a living, the guys they thought/hoped would be there were all gone. Then to make matters worse they drafted for need over value which JG said we wouldnt do.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
#31 and #74 > Floyd

Isn't it automatic for people to hate a Dallas draft simply because it is a Dallas draft.

I guarantee you the media would of crucified Dallas if we reached for Pugh at 18 while being silent or reveling for the Giants filling needs.

Poppycock.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:23 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor;3355010[B
]Isn't it automatic for people to hate a Dallas draft simply because it is a Dallas draft.[/b]

I guarantee you the media would of crucified Dallas if we reached for Pugh at 18 while being silent or reveling for the Giants filling needs.

Poppycock.
They've earned that right. 2008-1 player left. 2009-12 draft picks ALL GONE. 2010- we got 2 GREAT players with Dez and Lee but only 3 remain. So in those 3 years we have 4 guys left. Those drafts should have been the core of our team but we dont have much to show for them. Then this year we get SCREWED on the trade down, well yeah, its easy to hate.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:30 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

I dont know how strong our interest level was, but one down

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 4m
Ravens have signed left tackle Bryant McKinnie, team announces two-year deal

Last edited by pocketaces : 05-02-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:44 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
The main concern for me, even more than OL and the unsettled S position, is Garrett's abilities as a HC. His game management and play calling are subpar at times. I really thought he was going to be fired, it's nothing personal, I want him to succeed, but I don't know, he seems lost at times.
We're all hoping on a wing and prayer that Garrett is less involved in calling plays on Game day.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They've earned that right. 2008-1 player left. 2009-12 draft picks ALL GONE. 2010- we got 2 GREAT players with Dez and Lee but only 3 remain. So in those 3 years we have 4 guys left. Those drafts should have been the core of our team but we dont have much to show for them. Then this year we get SCREWED on the trade down, well yeah, its easy to hate.
I really think you have to really differentiate when JG has taken over. The drafts since he's been running things has been significantly better. If guys like Johnson, Wilbur and Crawford take a step forward this year, that draft has a chance to be fantastic.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:57 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
But what your saying is 31 and 74> than 18 which just isnt true. When you trade down from 18 you have no idea on who will be avalible at 31 and in fact the guys they were targeting at 31 were all gone. They reached for Fredrick when Pugh/Long/Williams/Patterson were taken ahead of them. It was a BAD trade value wise and IMO, and according to the people that follow the team for a living, the guys they thought/hoped would be there were all gone. Then to make matters worse they drafted for need over value which JG said we wouldnt do.
The strength of this draft was well known to be in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. That's the area where teams wanted to stock pile picks. This year's draft was unlike most. It completely stunk from the POV that there was no elite talent in the Top 10. The grades were muddled together. OL were getting snatched up higher than they ever were.

Pugh and Long would've been bashed as reaches at 18 too. They were 2nd round guys coming into this draft too! The fact that they went 19 and 20 just goes to show how different this year was. I don't even want to know the bashing the Cowboys would've gotten had they taken a WR in Patterson in Round 1. I hated Sly, so good. Pugh is a finesse guy. Gimme Frederick over him all day long. We got good enough value where we took Frederick. Even if we got him at 47, that's a 16 pick reach. Nothing to cry over.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:14 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I really think you have to really differentiate when JG has taken over. The drafts since he's been running things has been significantly better. If guys like Johnson, Wilbur and Crawford take a step forward this year, that draft has a chance to be fantastic.
I agree. JG drafts have been better, it was disappointing to see how frustrated he looked when we traded down. He clearly wasnt in favor of it.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:20 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

[quote=D-Unit;3355055]The strength of this draft was well known to be in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
Quote:
Agreed and we should have gotten a 2nd and 3rd for the trade down. We didnt.
That's the area where teams wanted to stock pile picks. This year's draft was unlike most. It completely stunk from the POV that there was no elite talent in the Top 10. The grades were muddled together. OL were getting snatched up higher than they ever were.

Pugh and Long would've been bashed as reaches at 18 too. They were 2nd round guys coming into this draft too! The fact that they went 19 and 20 just goes to show how different this year was. I don't even want to know the bashing the Cowboys would've gotten had they taken a WR in Patterson in Round 1. I hated Sly, so good. Pugh is a finesse guy. Gimme Frederick over him all day long. We got good enough value where we took Frederick. Even if we got him at 47, that's a 16 pick reach. Nothing to cry over.
Quote:
Your not factoring in who else we would have gotten at 31. Cyprien and Fredrick would have been much better than Fredrick and Escobar

Old 05-02-2013, 04:48 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I would've liked Cyprien a lot but I don't know if Frederick would have been there. Guess you could speculate and play Ms. Cleo if you want.

Gotta factor in T-Will too though. Plus, no Escobar who I think will be a fast fan favorite
Gonna be nice to have a #2 TE who can actually be a weapon as a pass catcher.

We'll also have to gauge the difference between Cyprien and Wilcox.

Last edited by D-Unit : 05-02-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
We're all hoping on a wing and prayer that Garrett is less involved in calling plays on Game day.
Yeah, but it's more than play calling. He cost us a game against the eventual champs due to poor clock management. And it wasn't the first time in his tenure that he came up short in that department. Seriously, there are times when it seems we're playing the opponent and our coach.

Every game counts and one game can be the difference from making the playoffs or going home..you can't have that from a head coach of an NFL team.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:01 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I would've liked Cyprien a lot but I don't know if Frederick would have been there. Guess you could speculate and play Ms. Cleo if you want.
Dude YOU said "even if we would have got him at 47". I was using YOUR Scenario

Old 05-02-2013, 05:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Yeah, but it's more than play calling. He cost us a game against the eventual champs due to poor clock management. And it wasn't the first time in his tenure that he came up short in that department. Seriously, there are times when it seems we're playing the opponent and our coach.

Every game counts and one game can be the difference from making the playoffs or going home..you can't have that from a head coach of an NFL team.
The hope is that with less in his plate, he'll be able to handle the game better. Well that's the hope at least. :)